Jump to content

Loving our WR core


Jets723
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I would keep Vyncint Smith also as he’s shown some flashes.

I fully expect (and hope!) this offensive system to use Vyncint for a bunch of WR sweeps and gadget plays.

Red Zone or 3rd and 3’s spread out the D, 4/5 WR sets, empty backfield, pitch sweep to Vyncint.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It been a good while since we had good wide receiver tandem. Marshall and Decker. Keyshon and Wayne Chrebet. Chrebet was always came up clutch. With the current wide receivers we got not the potential is there. Plus Kenny Yeboah could push Herndon for the starting spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Moore may have the ability to play outside.  He's been compared to Steve Smith in that way.  

Gives us lots of versatility.  

I really think this. I wanted JD to go up for Smith using one of next year's 1's but Moore is a comparable talent, I just hadn't been as exposed to him. If Wilson is the goods, Jets will be a good team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Correct. Even though the Jags used him primarily in the slot in 2020, he actually has taken slightly more snaps for his career on the outside. 
 

also, people get too caught up in old-fashioned boxes/labels for some of these players. A lot of these guys are versatile and can line up inside or outside. Even Moore lined up on the outside for 22% of his snaps in 2020, I believe. 

I do not think JD passed on trade offers down to take a WR at #34 overall because he thinks he’s just a slot guy. I expect he’ll see a lot of action there, especially in his rookie year, but I suspect that they’ll look to develop him as an outside, downfield threat. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I'm not as high on the WR group. Lots of unproven guys or guys that are okay, but not nearly game-changing enough. 

I think some get too hung upon “number 1 receiver”.  I mean we ha w a lot of talent.  Crowder has been very good for us, Davis is coming off a good year and young, Mims was very good who had some injury issues in the Furst half of the year but that was his only issue.  Moore is a first round talent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

For this to really happen, Mims will have to step up big time and stay on the field and Zack has to show he wasn't  one of a long line of mistakes the team has made at QB. 

There are no excuses for Wilson that’s for sure.  He has much more help than Darnold ever had.  I have faith in Wilson but now it’s up to him to prove he was deserving of the number 2 pick 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, genot said:

It was a really smart signing. No drops with him. And for Davis too. Both run great routes, and have great hands.

I never understood him being drafted so high and have been completely unimpressed with his Titans history.  Let's hope his new surroundings help produce a different result.  It's the one off season move I have the most question marks about.  Obviously better than  Perriman but not by all that much.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I hope they keep Crowder. I know he carries a big contract but the Jets aren't in a position to be dropping talent. He's the 2nd most proven WR on our roster and should make ZWs life easier. If they do trade/cut him I hope its during TC after several reports of Moore lighting up our D. 

only reason to let him go is to bring in some other free agents...but with the current cap situation they could do both....no one left worth any kind of big money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

There are no excuses for Wilson that’s for sure.  He has much more help than Darnold ever had.  I have faith in Wilson but now it’s up to him to prove he was deserving of the number 2 pick 

100% he doesnt have to be perfect....but he better show himself worthy of dumping Darnold and passing on elite offensive players at the top of the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I never understood him being drafted so high and have been completely unimpressed with his Titans history.  Let's hope his new surroundings help produce a different result.  It's the one off season move I have the most question marks about.  Obviously better than  Perriman but not by all that much.  

Sometimes it takes a while for the light bulb to turn on. He had a good year last year, in a run first offense. I think you'll appreciate him a lot more than Perriman. Keep in mind he apparently was targeted by the Jet's. So they obviously think he'll do real well here.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Nope.  

Herndon is in the last year of his rookie deal.  Costs the team just $2.1M this season.  Oh, and we have no cap issues to begin with.

If he leaves as a FA after the season, he will be worth at least a 5th/6th round pick if we are in the positive column next year. 

Meanwhile, he is still by far the best of the four TEs we have on the roster.  Yeboah might push him, but if we cut one, it's going to be either Brown or Kroft most likely.  Probably Brown since he has no dead money.

There is absolutely zero reason to release him.  Sometimes the need some people have to want to see guys cut is mind-boggling.

I think he’ll be pushed out by wesco and some guy who’s not there yet.  I just don’t think he makes it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think he’ll be pushed out by wesco and some guy who’s not there yet.  I just don’t think he makes it here.

You would see them cut Herndon while keeping Daniel Brown?  To save about $1M in cap and probably sacrifice a comp pick in 2022 or else seeing Herndon return to 2019 form and be a stud?  I guess I don't see any logic there other than this need to find the next surprise guy on our roster to cut.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I think some get too hung upon “number 1 receiver”.  I mean we ha w a lot of talent.  Crowder has been very good for us, Davis is coming off a good year and young, Mims was very good who had some injury issues in the Furst half of the year but that was his only issue.  Moore is a first round talent 

But see, our definitions of good pale in comparison to other teams'. Crowder has been good, but not VERY good. Davis had an okay year, but nothing insane. Mims showed some flashes, but is not even close to a sure thing, and Moore hasn't stepped on the field yet. 

Like, we may have a competent core of WRs, but **** that, I want the best receiving core in the league. I want guys like Mims and Moore to compliment a Travis Kelce or a Julio Jones. Having that #1 WR opens up A LOT in an offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

You would see them cut Herndon while keeping Daniel Brown?  To save about $1M in cap and probably sacrifice a comp pick in 2022 or else seeing Herndon return to 2019 form and be a stud?  I guess I don't see any logic there other than this need to find the next surprise guy on our roster to cut.

They paid a UDFA TE $200K, which shows they know there’s a problem with this position.  They were rumored to want Tremble and also wanted Juszczyk, and the closest guy they have who could fill that role is wesco.  Herndon has been injury prone and unreliable when he’s played.  I also wouldn’t rule out bringing in a veteran TE in training camp.  Big picture, Herndon is not guaranteed a roster spot this year, though he will enter camp as a good candidate to earn one.  

 

As we’ve seen, Douglas is upgrading every spot on offense, there are 6 new starters from his 2 drafts alone, not counting the FA signings.  TE is next IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crowder isn't a long-term fit here and will take in game and practice opportunities away from Mims, Davis and Moore (I acknowledge Cole is here on  a one year deal too). So a trade--height of pick dependent on how much of the salary we continue to take on--is tempting.

On the other hand, in the interest of Zach's development we can never have a game in which ZW has less than three of the four of Mims, Davis, Moore and Cole on the field (i.e, only two on the field moves us back in the direction of 2020, though not as bad).

I lean (barely)  toward keeping, but it's a tough call either way because trading Crowder has benefits beyond cap and draft pick (see the first paragraph).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You really want Mims and Moore to emerge. That would be awesome if they ended up their top 2 receivers this year. I’d also love to see Cam Clarke emerge. Man they could almost put together a seriously awesome core group of rookies and sophomores this year. I can’t imagine actually having something to be excited about though. It’d be a total mind****.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I fully expect (and hope!) this offensive system to use Vyncint for a bunch of WR sweeps and gadget plays.

Red Zone or 3rd and 3’s spread out the D, 4/5 WR sets, empty backfield, pitch sweep to Vyncint.

That’ll be Elijah Moore’s role. I like V Smith in that role but he’ll need to win the punt return job to get a spot on the 53 man roster.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Vastly  improved, our wr group last year was an embarrassment most of the year.

The group could go from looking good to really good depending on Mims.

Last year around this time debating with Breshad Perriman truthers was highly entertaining.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

You really want Mims and Moore to emerge. That would be awesome if they ended up their top 2 receivers this year. I’d also love to see Cam Clarke emerge. Man they could almost put together a seriously awesome core group of rookies and sophomores this year. I can’t imagine actually having something to be excited about though. It’d be a total mind****.

If Wilson is equal to or better than Dalton, Mims is going to be a star in this league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lith said:

No reason to rush to move him.

NO! With a ton of available ca space, it's very important to cut crowder to free up a little more because I personally feel he makes too much money! 

..and I think we can all agree that my emotions are what's really important here

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

NO! With a ton of available ca space, it's very important to cut crowder to free up a little more because I personally feel he makes too much money! 

..and I think we can all agree that my emotions are what's really important here

Jets fans hate Jets players to get paid. When we hit (rarely) on a pick or FA pickup the rush to dump him is hilarious. Better to keep cheap bums, I guess??

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

JD loves his slot receivers 

The Jets have a good one in Crowder and now a second one in Moore who could be a star.  Cole plays both inside and out and Davis-Mims on the outside.   Crowder has a year left on his contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...