PFF Grades the Jets Draft

The draft would have been an A++ if they took Jenkins rather than Moore who, like PFF said, is a replacement to one of the best offensive players we have. I like Moore and his explosive play potential but just feel that JD blew the chance to complete the OL.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The draft would have been an A++ if they took Jenkins rather than Moore who, like PFF said, is a replacement to one of the best offensive players we have. I like Moore and his explosive play potential but just feel that JD blew the chance to complete the OL.

I think there were concerns about Jenkin’s hip and I guess how he did in the interviews. We will still improve the line, and hopefully Fant and McGovern are better in the new scheme.

Just now, Tranquilo said:

I think there were concerns about Jenkin’s hip and I guess how he did in the interviews. We will still improve the line, and hopefully Fant and McGovern are better in the new scheme.

i think there is an underrated point that McGovern should be much better with AVT on the left side. and McGovern being better will have a knock on effect on the right side of the line as well....no matter who is there.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I dunno how you grade a draft in a vacuum.

To me the considerations are, how much draft capital did you have and how much return did you get for that capital.

I look at a team like Cleve drafting pretty late with three less top 100 picks and I would say they maxed out pretty much the most they could have out of their draft capital.

Not sure the Jets did and therefore an A or A+ could only be given to us down the road and only after Wilson and AVT or such huge difference makers that the spending of such valuable draft capital on them is justified.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Simple.  Probably upgraded four starters.  Didn't surrender any future picks to do it.

If you believe that, it's an A.  

Actually two of the positions weren't actually upgraded starters. Don't you remember last season? It was so bad under Gase that by the end of the year the Jets only had 9 guys on the field for offense.

8 really since one of them was Frank Gore lol.

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I hear ya, and said the same thing on Thursday night.  But as we got closer to Firday night, I was not sure he wanted to send a rookie QB out there with two rookie starters on the OL. 

With 2 picks each in R1 and R2, I think next year is the time to complete the OL.

• Upvote 3

i think it was a good draft.  wilson seems like he can make things exciting and tucker should hold down an oline position from day one.  moore looks to be a good receiver who will get good minutes this season unless they move on from crowder.  the rest of the guys, who knows.  maybe a little offense top heavy but the oline needed serious work and wilson looks to be a serious upgrade to darnold.  one thing to point out, i'd be willing to bet douglas knows what he's got in the rest of the players on the team.  i can see clark finally getting a shot to move someone out.  it'll be interesting to see if morgan gets a shot too.

now it's all on saleh to make this team work.

1 hour ago, Wit said:

Some of the lower grades have a lot  to do with the Justin fields vs Zach Wilson debate. If you think fields is better than it’s a pretty bad draft and vice Versa. 

Ultimately doesn’t matter who we like between those two anymore. The coaches obviously think Zach fits what they want to do on offense the best. Now we wait and see. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I do admit that my A grade is based on my belief that the collaboration between JD-Saleh is a good one.  And that these picks are a reflection of a cohesive working together between FO-CS.  And that they accomplished what they wanted from this draft.   

Using the higher picks on offense was an agreement that Jets needed to fix it.  To protect ZW and give him weapons to help him succeed.

The mid-late picks focused on what Saleh-Ulbrich wanted for what will mostly be their 4-2-5 schemes.  Hybrid type players.  That have positional versatility with speed and athleticism. The only player picked here that doesn't fit roles at CB-LB-F/S Safety was  DT Marshall.  A 310 lbs athletic freak...that ran a 4.88 on his pro day.  

Add to this are UDFAs and potential FAs that can still be signed.  Yeea...I'm feeling a A grade about this FA-draft process so far.  That's still an unfinished work-in-progress.  More to come me thinks.     

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ultimately doesn’t matter who we like between those two anymore. The coaches obviously think Zach fits what they want to do on offense the best. Now we wait and see. 

Yeah, that’s why a team that picks a high QB usually shouldn’t be graded for any more than picking who they probably should. After that it’s team building and coaching. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

They also said that they love Moore and a receiver that gets open quickly is a QBs best friend. I don't buy what they said about getting two good tackles instead of one great tackle. That reasoning breeds mediocrity. We have a new scheme, new coaches, young OTs that haven't played - you give them a chance with a proper TC and pre-season games. Next year we have a ton of picks and can replace a couple of them if necessary.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I hear ya, and said the same thing on Thursday night.  But as we got closer to Firday night, I was not sure he wanted to send a rookie QB out there with two rookie starters on the OL. 

With 2 picks each in R1 and R2, I think next year is the time to complete the OL.

I understand the starting multiple rookie concerns but if those rookies are replacing guys on the worst OL in the NFL and turn out to be immediate upgrades then maybe it'll be worth it in the long run.

At this point the Jets would have had to extend Crowder or Fant this year.  As we have seen, there is no guarantee to be able to sign a FA T.   So for 2022, Fant either needs to be extended, or we need to rely on a RT draft pick.  That is why I may have drafted Jenkins instead of Moore

But Crowder, and Cole, expire after the end of this year.  

I listened to their podcast and despite the A they sh*t all over the trade up for AVT.

They do make some good points, there is pressure in AVT to justify giving up what we did but you still have to love the conviction. You have a young QB, go get the sure thing.

I think a lot of these draft analysts fall in love with way too many prospects and are way too confident they’ll produce. Like they were talking about Wyatt Davis like he’s a sure thing to produce. If that were the case he’d have gone much earlier than 86.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I listened to their podcast and despite the A they sh*t all over the trade up for AVT.

They do make some good points, there is pressure in AVT to justify giving up what we did but you still have to love the conviction. You have a young QB, go get the sure thing.

I think a lot of these draft analysts fall in love with way too many prospects and are way too confident they’ll produce. Like they were talking about Wyatt Davis like he’s a sure thing to produce. If that were the case he’d have gone much earlier than 86.

Plus they don't take anything else into account besides on field analytics...it's clear JD is building a certain kinda culture similar to Baltimore that's why the interview process plays a big roll.   All I keep hearing is AVT lives, sleeps, and breathes football and puts people through the ground.   Analytics removes a human element. 

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The reason for them not liking the trade up is legitimate. But they also preach going QB/OL/WR/CB/Edge early and then RB in like the 4th round. The Jets went QB/OL and WR with their premium picks and took a RB not much worse than Javonte in the 4th so naturally the Jets will still grade very high. 

And the reality is that for all the hate on PFF from many old school people on this board, the NFL has certainly evolved in a way PFF has been begging them to for years.