I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why

24 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Only a freaking Jet fan would cry about keeping the NFL’s worst starting QB the past 3 seasons because “we could’ve selected another O-Line prospect in the 1st round” 

LMFAOOOO 

You can’t make this sh*t up

Kind of like the Jets fans who denounced the NFL's worst head coach and yet don't feel that his replacement will be able to top his 2019 feat of winning 7 games in 2021 by saying "5 wins is progress".

OP:  Don't worry about losing Darnold; with Maccagnan and Gase being replaced by Douglas and Saleh, we are guaranteed an 8 win season with this schedule that's easier than 2019.  The experts in such matters have told us so. 

Just sit back, relax, and let the 2021 wildcard hunt roll over you like a warm blanket..

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

I suggest drugs. Legal or street. Or both.

Opium, I hear, old chap — and a reading of Tennyson — will do wonders for the constitution.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, yvj said:

I sense for some people Darnold was the first time they were given hope for this team. It's okay lads, time heals all wounds. 

you aint kidding. 

i go back to Kenny O Brien. 

i went thru too many Mike Haights and Roger Vicks to get excited on draft day anymore

i loved the pick of LB Alex Gordon. i really thought or should i say hoped he would be my answer to all my Giant friends with LT. i was a young teen then but if i had the money i would have bought a #55 jersey. well we all know how that turned out.

draft day is like Christmas day for NFL fans. we all usually love our gifts. its only later on do we find out if there really good or crap. lol

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Just a friendly reminder to those too young to remember. Once upon a time Bruce Coslet and Pete Carroll had an identical plan and uniforms. I am hopeful - but very guarded about all of this.

This.

None of this draftniks wet dream weekend means anything other than Zach Wilson.  If he becomes the first Jets franchise quarterback since Vietnam, Joe Douglas is a genius.  If he doesn't, he's Mike Maccagnan, doesn't matter what guard he took or what receiver we got.  It's Wilson or nothing.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Alka said:

It's not that I wanted to move on from Fant this year, but there are many quality tackles that could easily play guard this upcoming season, and then move to right tackle next year.  Even the guard we picked in the 1st round was a tackle that was converted to guard.  That was my thinking, and I felt that the value at #23, while Tucker would have been gone by then, we could have gotten a guy like Darrishaw or Jenkins.  

Darrisaw didn’t project to play inside and comes with effort/intensity/desire concerns. Doesn’t seem like a fit for this franchise. And they passed in Jenkins at 34 - medical/personality concerns - so I don’t think they were taking him at 23. Vera-Tucker was a guard the year before too and really projected to guard because of the arm length.

The other things is OL continuity is actually valuable, those guys take time to gel and got better over the course of the year. Doing it more gradually, one new starter this year is kind of good.

I absolutely get wanting to upgrade the OL. Completely. But the desire to take a tackle and then play him at guard then move him back to tackle...was I think more fans (myself included) wanting acknowledgement that the OL needs help than it was an actual way to improve the line this year.

All that said I was a little disappointed they didn’t take a developmental guard or RT yesterday. And I do get wanting the earlier OL beyond AVT. I just think it was going to be a little bit of a square peg round hole thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

Who gives a flying fuucck that you are melancholy? None of those options are in any way better and the Jets FO discarded them. Keeping Darnolf would be flat out idiotic. And Doiglas had an incredible  draft. Wilson is our future just accept it

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Kind of like the Jets fans who denounced the NFL's worst head coach and yet don't feel that his replacement will be able to top his 2019 feat of winning 7 games in 2021 by saying "5 wins is progress".

OP:  Don't worry about losing Darnold; with Maccagnan and Gase being replaced by Douglas and Saleh, we are guaranteed an 8 win season with this schedule that's easier than 2019.  The experts in such matters have told us so. 

Just sit back, relax, and let the 2021 wildcard hunt roll over you like a warm blanket..

SAR I

Gase was so, so incredibly incompetent,  they essentially had to burn the house down and start from scratch.  

Your favorite A hole essentially bought JD and Saleh a 2 year grace period..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

• Upvote 1

I hear the OP- feelin it man. It’s a crazy choose your own adventure butterfly different dimensions thing but I am firmly on board with the new path.

the past is the past. It’s over. It’s a new era in Jetsland. That’s it. So finish your pity party and get on board. 

it may not work out but everything is brand new and for the first time there is a long term strategy in place with a captain decisively following through.

I, too, feel a sense of ennui, but because this all feels familiar. We’re excited about the hot, young, spicy defensive head coach! And the fresh-faced QB! And the sexy, new draftees! And that’s exactly where we’ve been since 2001. And it feels like Wilson is the least qualified of Darnold and Sanchez and even Geno. It’s wonderful to be hopeful! Wilson seems like a nice kid with some talent, and Saleh looks like he’ll have fun press conferences, but why is this time different than any other time? Because we hope Douglas is smarter? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

2 hours ago, Alka said:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

huh

• Haha 1

What is with people wanting to keep the league rank worst QB for another year!  It's so weird to me tbh  You want to keep him so he can throw picks and take horrendous sacks so at the end of the year you can say every offensive player you drafted "sucks" as a result of said horrendous QB play?  I'll pass on that 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Or option 4; trade out to 10 and get 2 more 1sts (3 next year) and a 3rd; then trade down to 20 and get a 1st and 4th next year (4 1sts); and then, if. he still wanted trade up to 14 to get his guard (or 16) and still have 23. :-) - sorry to make your melancholy worse...

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

This.

None of this draftniks wet dream weekend means anything other than Zach Wilson.  If he becomes the first Jets franchise quarterback since Vietnam, Joe Douglas is a genius.  If he doesn't, he's Mike Maccagnan, doesn't matter what guard he took or what receiver we got.  It's Wilson or nothing.  

SAR I

Fair. He’s tied to Wilson now. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Philc1 said:

Let’s see people here can’t stop talking about Sam’s turnovers his last year in college yet Wilson had 1 Td - 7 INTs anytime facing a real defense in his entire college career 

I know everyone and their mother is sold on Wilson.  I'm scared as hell.  

• Upvote 2