I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We just locked in another 3-4 years of jet embarrassment 

Why are you being such a baby?

Not an accusation, an actual question. I'm bitching less than you are, and I spent the draft in the ******* hospital.  ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

No. Just like "an athlete".  Even someone as slight of stature as Kyler Murray looks the part.  Wilson does not.

You must have loved the Ghost then..LOL BTW it's not how they look it's how they play..

rlxnwkikIBHEGqtQ-AsklXY7s1sGv79rmxYpvQ-b

It’s always so mind numbing when you realize people don’t u set stand cause and effect.

Vikings don’t trade, Darrishaw goes 14.

So we can’t take him at 14. 

Vera Tucker was going to the Pats, from all reports. 

So... none of this bellyaching is founded in anything real.

• Upvote 4

1) Keeping Sam as the unquestioned starter was not an option for me, but there's no point in arguing about that anymore. 

2) Douglas was "conservative"? How? He traded two 3rd rounders for the right to move up and take the best guard prospect in the draft. That was pretty aggressive. Then, he turned down numerous offers to move down and accumulate more picks at #34 and take Moore. Again, not conservative. 

• Upvote 2

Agreed.  I'm with Kiper.  Should have traded down and built around Sam.

I'm not excited but not too bummed either.  Just a subtle malaise as I see this Tiger Beat QB go through the motions lying through his teeth about hoping to land with the Jets.

I guess we'll see.

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

JD Blew it out of the park... Jets fans just love misery 

I like this draft but I wouldn't say he blew it out of the park.  Its basically the same pattern as last year, really good with the early picks, really mediocre with the late ones.  I don't like any of our DB's with the exception of Nasrildeen, who projects as a Safety/LB tweener.  The DT?  Meh.  No Edge, only 1 OL.  But then, as in the past, the back end of the draft gets lifted by the UDFA's which I think we crushed.  Seems to me the M.O. is to gamble with those late rounders and hope a lack of production in college is offset by what they may become due to their athleticism.  This was the thinking with Ashtyn Davis last year, I believe.  (Morgan....can't really explain that one.)  So overall, really good early, really good in UDFA, and some later round clunkers.  Can't be mad at that when in the past it was rounds 1-3 where we took the clunkers.  And those are supposed to be starters.

• Thumb Down 2

@Savage69 @Jet_Engine1Just talking about this with my wife.  In no way mean that the kid is somehow effeminate, etc.  My opinion comes from him in uniform, not in street clothes.  Don't know if I can actually quantify what I think when I see him play.   Best way I can put it is that he looks slight/fragile.  And when I watch him on the field in highlights?  Sadly, reminds me of Darnold.

• Sympathy 1

ok, I get Wilson wasn’t what some of the board wanted, but look at it this way: We wanted to protect the QB. Check. We wanted some offensive playmakers. Check. We wanted to add some ballhawks on the defense. Check. 

Damn, Leave it to this Fanbase to win the lottery and kvetch about the taxes.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

@Savage69 @Jet_Engine1Just talking about this with my wife.  In no way mean that the kid is somehow effeminate, etc.  My opinion comes from him in uniform, not in street clothes.  Don't know if I can actually quantify what I think when I see him play.   Best way I can put it is that he looks slight/fragile.  And when I watch him on the field in highlights?  Sadly, reminds me of Darnold.

Ok how does 174 pound Devonta Smith look to you?? And who gets hit more a w/r catching the ball or a elusive QB throwing it?? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Savage69 said:

Ok how does 174 pound Devonta Smith look to you?? And who gets hit more a w/r catching the ball or a elusive QB throwing it?? 

Yeah, but he's going to get tattooed by D linemen and LBs looking to take his head off.  Sav, not saying I'm right.  Just how I feel.  WTF do I know anyway?

Look, the kid is a Jet.  So right now he gets all my support and I hope he succeeds.  Makes my opinion look idiotic.  But again, every time I see him I'm reminded of how much I hated the Sanchez, Geno and Darnold picks.   Like before, something about the picture is off.

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

No, I get that. Its funny, because when he was in his suit coming out onto the stage, he looks like a 5'10 165lb high school kid, and then he's hugging Goodell and looks like a big guy. I think he's youthful face and very trim build hides the fact that he's actually thicker than Mac Jones. In this era of Football, I think he'll be fine. Hell, he's bigger and heavier than Namath ever was, back when QBs got blown up.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

????????

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, I get that. Its funny, because when he was in his suit coming out onto the stage, he looks like a 5'10 165lb high school kid, and then he's hugging Goodell and looks like a big guy. I think he's youthful face and very trim build hides the fact that he's actually thicker than Mac Jones. In this era of Football, I think he'll be fine. Hell, he's bigger and heavier than Namath ever was, back when QBs got blown up.

Yeah, I'll step off the ledge.  Long way to opening day for all this anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

And don't forget 200 pound Joe Montana with LT chasing his butt..

• Upvote 1

I've reached the point on this board where I can no longer tell if some people really hate Wilson or really think Darnold was still the best option or are doing some schtick to stuck it to all the "haters" for a change.  

What a time to be alive.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I've reached the point on this board where I can no longer tell if some people really hate Wilson or really think Darnold was still the best option or are doing some schtick to stuck it to all the "haters" for a change.  

What a time to be alive.

Who even cares? We just crushed this draft.

Not only is the future bright, but next year the Jets will actually be fun to watch.