I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why

Wilson’s physical appearance is the least of my concerns. Biggest challenge for him, aside from the still questionable roster, will be how he adjusts to NFL game speed. Big leap from North Alabama to New England. If he adjusts quickly he’ll be fine.

• Confused 1
  • Like 1
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause. Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choic

Purge these Darnold fans. This sh*t reads like a parody.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Gase was so, so incredibly incompetent,  they essentially had to burn the house down and start from scratch.  

Your favorite A hole essentially bought JD and Saleh a 2 year grace period..

I never wanted or liked Adam Gase.  He was awful.

Joe Douglas has been here since 2019.  It's 2021.  Three seasons.  Time's up.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I never wanted or liked Adam Gase.  He was awful.

Joe Douglas has been here since 2019.  It's 2021.  Three seasons.  Time's up.

SAR I

You need a lesson in math. This is Douglas's second offseason, and last season hardly counts because of your boy Gase and the mess he left.  Mac was here for free agency and the draft in 2019.  Douglas had no ability to shape the roster in 2019, and 2020 was such a disaster, all he was able to do last year was tear it down.

Time is not up. It is just getting started. He has at least 2-3 years to continue righting the ship after Gase and Mac hit the iceberg.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You need a lesson in math. This is Douglas's second offseason, and last season hardly counts because of your boy Gase and the mess he left.

You need a lesson in research.  Joe Douglas put his paws all over the 2019 team.  Awful OL decisions.  Awful K decisions.  He brought all 80 players into camp.  He trimmed the roster to the final 53.  You can't sweep that under the rug.

37 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Douglas had no ability to shape the roster in 2019, and 2020 was such a disaster, all he was able to do last year was tear it down.

Douglas singlehandedly cost us 3 wins in 2019 by bringing in Karre Vedvik.  And that "mess" you say that Maccagnan left?  It got 7 wins!  Under the worst HC in NFL history!  Douglas didn't tear it down.  He screwed it up.  He took a 7 win team and made it into a 2 win team.  Oh, but continue to tell me how "awesome" he is.

38 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Time is not up. It is just getting started. He has at least 2-3 years to continue righting the ship after Gase and Mac hit the iceberg.  

2019 Free Agency (F)

2020 Free Agency (D)

2020 Draft (C)

2021 Free Agency (D)

2021 Draft (TBD)

"Just getting started!"   Ha ha ha ha.  This from the same guy that wanted Adam Gase's head in a noose after 4 weeks!  You're going to give Joe Douglas 4 years?  LOL.  Kool Aid, much?

That's an awful report card.  The only thing that will save Joe Douglas is if he nailed this draft.  Based on the other 4 touchpoints, be concerned.  Be very concerned.  Takes a special kind of stupid to turn a 7 win team into a 2 win team, trade away all your best players, and hand the Giants the division.  If he weren't a draft freak's wet dream, he'd be gone already.

SAR I

• Like 1
6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Who gives a flying fuucck that you are melancholy? None of those options are in any way better and the Jets FO discarded them. Keeping Darnolf would be flat out idiotic. And Doiglas had an incredible  draft. Wilson is our future just accept it

Did I ask you to care what I think?  I'm making my opinion known, and if you don't like my opinion, well, that's okay with me.  If you like my opinion, that is also okay.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are not a psychiatrist for a living.  Am I right?

As far as accepting Wilson, I have no choice but to accept it.  I've been a Jets fan since 1968.  I've had to accept a lot in my life with the Jets.  Rich Kotite, Charlie Winner, the college coach that became our head coach and tried to get the players to sing fight songs.  Taking Ken O'Brien when Dan Marino was sitting there at like #20.  

I accept it all.  Zach Wilson, looks good, throws nice.  We will see.

Everyone also seems to forget that this genius head coach and the “greatest offense in the world” managed to have losing seasons three out of the last four years in SF. As a matter of fact absent John Elway, the Shanahans havent won anything

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You need a lesson in math. This is Douglas's second offseason, and last season hardly counts because of your boy Gase and the mess he left.  Mac was here for free agency and the draft in 2019.  Douglas had no ability to shape the roster in 2019, and 2020 was such a disaster, all he was able to do last year was tear it down.

You didn’t hear? His kicker stunk and he signed a center out of retirement in August, so he basically destroyed that entire season and roster. It counts!

• Haha 1

In JD we trust, after this draft !!!  My only one wish would have been a Center along with this draft, but if reports are true that we already have a Center in mind for next year, then I'm cool with that. 

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Alka said:

A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Not sure if you noticed, the NFL and the players association launched a mental health and wellness initiative and advertised it heavily during the draft?  

Could be your feelings of loss over Darnold are leading to a downward spiral of depression?   You can try Zoloft (a sponsor of the NYJets and the NFL) or you can listen to 5,000 hours of country music.  Both are considered safe and effective.  Country music doesn’t have the oily discharge side effect but is associated with suicide in people born North of Maryland.  

douglas and saleh deemed it would be far easier to mold wilson into the qb they need as opposed to darnold.  the reason (i think) is because the team really wasn't ready to help make darnold into a better qb.  i lnow this is akin to saying he didn't have the weapons or the pass protection, etc but they weren't like the ravens who could absorb sub standard and middling qb's like flacco and difler and still win.  darnold might've been more like rex grossman or blake bortles as far as his qb play goes.

14 hours ago, Pac said:

Agreed.  I'm with Kiper.  Should have traded down and built around Sam.

I'm not excited but not too bummed either.  Just a subtle malaise as I see this Tiger Beat QB go through the motions lying through his teeth about hoping to land with the Jets.

I guess we'll see.

I will say, he was one of the only picks whose reaction was clearly “ehh, okay”. He looked like he had a rehearsed act. I hope he was just nervous. 

17 hours ago, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

Post draft depression, take some meds.

Sam is the past, he didn’t work out. Moving on quickly, an un-Jet like move, was in both parties best interests.

JD is doing what is in his, and the franchise's best interests: looking at at as a 2 year plan. We filled so many holes and have a potential QB of the future on the roster. Next year he will have the luxury of being forensic, going for specific needs, upgrades, BPA.

I wanted another OL, but someone pointed out (correctly) that having 3 stud lineman with expiring contracts at the same time isn’t the best thing (although not a terrible problem to have).

I feel good about this draft and the UDFA players we have acquired.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, SAR I said:

2019 Free Agency (F)

Facts: Mike Maccagnan, who was FIRED on May 15, 2019,  signed players during the 2019 free agency frenzy AND he drafted players in the 2019 draft. Joe Douglas' first off-season he was able to put his fingerprints on the franchise was during a PANDEMIC in 2020. 

Any questions?

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

This Darrisaw-nonsense needs to stop.  The Vikings completely lucked out, courtesy of the mind numbingly stupid Raiders, and with that said JD must have had AVT very high on his board. Great move that has received an A-grade almost everywhere. 

widely reported that AVT was considerably above Darrisaw on JDs board.  One has to respect that.  

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fixed that. 

*nothing against plumbers

I just had a ton of plumbing work done in my house.  I think we paid them more than Carolina is paying Darnold

• Like 1
17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I, too, feel a sense of ennui, but because this all feels familiar. We’re excited about the hot, young, spicy defensive head coach! And the fresh-faced QB! And the sexy, new draftees! And that’s exactly where we’ve been since 2001. And it feels like Wilson is the least qualified of Darnold and Sanchez and even Geno. It’s wonderful to be hopeful! Wilson seems like a nice kid with some talent, and Saleh looks like he’ll have fun press conferences, but why is this time different than any other time? Because we hope Douglas is smarter? 

No, because the season hasn’t started yet. Best time of the year to be a Jet fan. So shut your trap and enjoy the endless possibilities of success and excitement before the season comes and  removes the shroud of hope to unveil the inevitable dissapointment that’s surely coming. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I, too, feel a sense of ennui, but because this all feels familiar. We’re excited about the hot, young, spicy defensive head coach! And the fresh-faced QB! And the sexy, new draftees! And that’s exactly where we’ve been since 2001. And it feels like Wilson is the least qualified of Darnold and Sanchez and even Geno. It’s wonderful to be hopeful! Wilson seems like a nice kid with some talent, and Saleh looks like he’ll have fun press conferences, but why is this time different than any other time? Because we hope Douglas is smarter? 

tenor.gif?itemid=11048773

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Facts: Mike Maccagnan, who was FIRED on May 15, 2019,  signed players during the 2019 free agency frenzy AND he drafted players in the 2019 draft. Joe Douglas' first off-season he was able to put his fingerprints on the franchise was during a PANDEMIC in 2020. 

Any questions?

Joe Douglas was hired June 7, 2019 and had 3 months to sign players, cut players, and trade players.  Some notable decisions:

August 1:  Signed C Ryan Kalil

August 6:  Traded for OL Alex Lewis

August 11:  Lost K Chandler Cantazzaro

August 11:  Signed K Taylor Bertelet

August 29:  Traded for CB Nate Hairston

September 1:  Signed K Kerre Vedvik

September 1:  Signed WR Braxton Berrios

September 11:  Traded for WR Demarius Thomas

October 10:  Signed DL Steve McLendon to an extension

October 26:  Lost G Keleche Osemele

October 27:  Traded DL Leonard Williams to Giants

November 24:  Signed TE Ryan Griffin to an extension

There are about 200 transactions that Joe Douglas executed in 2019, including gifting the NY Giants an All Pro and botching the OL and K positions costing us at least 3 games and a playoff berth.  His clock started ticking long before 2020 free agency and draft.

ANY QUESTIONS?

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/transactions/2019

SAR I

I am feeling melancholy because I love the draft.  And these past few years, it has been nice knowing that I don't have to wait long for the Jets to pick.  Thursday, Friday and Saturday, we made our picks within minutes of the draft open.  I enjoyed that. 

I am now melancholy as there is a chance we may need to wait significantly longer to get on the clock in future drafts.  Sigh.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Straight up lie. STOP

You need to re-read my 2018 and 2019 posts more carefully.  I supported the Jets giving a HC from the offensive side of the ball who wasn't a rookie a try, been begging for that for 30+ years.  They chose the wrong one.

SAR I

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Before the whole process I also wanted to keep Darnold one more year and use that juicy 2nd overall for other things.  Once it was clear we were moving on I put that away.

Also come next year when we see the 2nd and 4th rounders from Carolina it will sooth feelings.

As fans no matter how well our teams GM does we will always think he could do better.

+1

I probably wouldn't have done the same thing Douglas did either, though for different reasons. BFD, everyone drafts better in hindsight when they know who'd be there with their next pick(s) and who wouldn't. Man, you should see some of my hindsight drafts over the years: I'm so great at it.

Regardless:

1. It looks like a really good draft class overall, as it should when armed with this many selections. There's also another coming up next year where we're doubled-up with picks even more than we were in 2021 (amazingly, 2 picks each in rounds 1,2,4,5,6) and won't have to use one (let alone use multiple 1st rounders, and maybe more, to trade up) for a QB.
  2. Whether you like the move or not, it's more conservative to keep Darnold and then never trade up (whether trading down from #2 or not). The riskier - i.e. less conservative - move is to draft Wilson there after just 1 solid college season (90% against tomato cans) and gamble that this guy he picked is the best of the 5 available to him (4 2021 prospects + Darnold).

The only thing he did that was too conservative in hindsight, if rumors of turning down a 1st rounder are even true, is he held onto Darnold for too long before trading him anyway. 

The only thing that makes me have more confidence is the fact they are addressing the offense.

That being said, it is a very raw group.   2nd year Left tackle who missed part of his rookie year.   Rookie LG.    2nd year WR who missed most of his rookie year.   Rookie WR.   Rookie running back.  Rookie QB.  

Good DCs are going to confuse these guys, you will see busted protections, receivers not on the same page as the QB running hot routes, things like that.  With all this youth, I really hope Wilson sits at least half of his rookie year, not just for him to learn, but for some of these other pieces to start to come together.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas was hired June 7, 2019 and had 3 months to sign players, cut players, and trade players.  Some notable decisions:

There are about 200 transactions that Joe Douglas executed in 2019, including gifting the NY Giants an All Pro and botching the OL and K positions costing us at least 3 games and a playoff berth.  His clock started ticking long before 2020 free agency and draft.

ANY QUESTIONS?

SAR I

Those moves were like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic that Mac built. That 7 win season in 2019 you boast of wasn't a sign of a good roster built by Mike Maccagnan, but more a sign of a soft schedule during weeks 10 through 17. They capped it off vs a Bills team that treated their final game of the 2019 season like game 1 of the preseason. Bottom line Joe Douglas tore down a mismanaged roster during a Pandemic which hopefully set the Jets up for success going forward. I do agree the honeymoon phase is definitely over for Joe with the Jets. Time to see some positive results in 2021 that give us Jets fans hope for the future. 

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Those moves were like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic that Mac built. That 7 win season in 2019 you boast of wasn't a sign of a good roster built by Mike Maccagnan, but more a sign of a soft schedule during weeks 10 through 17. They capped it off vs a Bills team that treated their final game of the 2019 season like game 1 of the preseason. Bottom line Joe Douglas tore down a mismanaged roster during a Pandemic which hopefully set the Jets up for success going forward. I do agree the honeymoon phase is definitely over for Joe with the Jets. Time to see some positive results in 2021 that give us Jets fans hope for the future. 

lylom9ms8ctiqbnbvrlg

This year's schedule is easier than 2019.  This year's roster is better than 2019.  We should have expectations of more wins than 2019.  It is not unreasonable to expect the following:

Potential Home Wins:  Jaguars, Bengals, Saints, Eagles, and 1 division win.

Potential Road Wins:  Broncos, Texans, Falcons, Panthers, and 1 division win.

That's 10 games where we have a legitimate shot, no different than teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Raiders we beat in '19 or the playoff Rams and Browns in '20.  We should have an expectation to win 8 of these 10 for the season to be deemed successful.

SAR I

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

lylom9ms8ctiqbnbvrlg

This year's schedule is easier than 2019.  This year's roster is better than 2019.  We should have expectations of more wins than 2019.  It is not unreasonable to expect the following:

Potential Home Wins:  Jaguars, Bengals, Saints, Eagles, and 1 division win.

Potential Road Wins:  Broncos, Texans, Falcons, Panthers, and 1 division win.

That's 10 games where we have a legitimate shot, no different than teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Raiders we beat in '19 or the playoff Rams and Browns in '20.  We should have an expectation to win 8 of these 10 for the season to be deemed successful.

SAR I

10 wins is the new 9 wins in an expanded 17 game schedule. I want/hope for 10-7 and a shot at one of those wild card spots. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

ANY QUESTIONS?

SAR I

I agree with most of what you wrote here, but with one major exception.

The stupidity of hiring JD after the draft, put JD on the defensive in regards to the offensive line.  He knew that he inherited a crap offensive line, and now that the draft was just over, what does he do?

The answer is that he does the best that he can.  When other managers came to me in my last job and asked for my advice on certain decisions that they were having a hard time making, I told them that sometimes there are no good decisions.  Sometimes you are put into a situation where the only decision you can make is a bad one.  The goal is to make the least bad decision that you can, and live with it.  

I feel that when JD was hired, he was put into a situation regarding the offensive line that he needed to make decisions, and all of them were not going to be good.  Any decision he made on the O line was not going to be good, but he still had to make decisions to try to lessen the blow of what he inherited.

Other than the O line, I agree with you on the rest.

21 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Purge these Darnold fans. This sh*t reads like a parody.

Josh Rosen's 13 starts in a bad situation:  Plenty to evaluate.

Sam Darnold's 38 starts in a bad situation:  Not enough, @GATA run it back one more time.

They need to collectively walk off a cliff, and take @T0mShane with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, yvj said:

I sense for some people Darnold was the first time they were given hope for this team. It's okay lads, time heals all wounds. 

It's like they forget all about Mark Sanchez, who was probably a better QB than Sam Darnold.  

• Upvote 1