I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why

20 hours ago, Shockwave said:

How funny is it when the Panthers draft reviews were 

Would have been a perfect draft if they took Justin Fields

and then you read this.

I live in NC.  Talked to a few Panthers' fans about Darnold yesterday.  Told them they had a great draft, but its unfortunate that Darnold is their QB.

Their rave review on Darnold, collectively:  "I mean, he's better than you think he'll be."

Oh.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I, too, feel a sense of ennui, but because this all feels familiar. We’re excited about the hot, young, spicy defensive head coach! And the fresh-faced QB! And the sexy, new draftees! And that’s exactly where we’ve been since 2001. And it feels like Wilson is the least qualified of Darnold and Sanchez and even Geno. It’s wonderful to be hopeful! Wilson seems like a nice kid with some talent, and Saleh looks like he’ll have fun press conferences, but why is this time different than any other time? Because we hope Douglas is smarter? 

Yes, that's exactly why.  Now go away for the next 5 years, please.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with most of what you wrote here, but with one major exception.

The stupidity of hiring JD after the draft, put JD on the defensive in regards to the offensive line.  He knew that he inherited a crap offensive line, and now that the draft was just over, what does he do?

The answer is that he does the best that he can.  When other managers came to me in my last job and asked for my advice on certain decisions that they were having a hard time making, I told them that sometimes there are no good decisions.  Sometimes you are put into a situation where the only decision you can make is a bad one.  The goal is to make the least bad decision that you can, and live with it.  

I feel that when JD was hired, he was put into a situation regarding the offensive line that he needed to make decisions, and all of them were not going to be good.  Any decision he made on the O line was not going to be good, but he still had to make decisions to try to lessen the blow of what he inherited.

Other than the O line, I agree with you on the rest.

There's no doubt Douglas was put in a tough spot for the 2019 season based on the timing of his hire.

...but...

By the same logic he was given the greatest head start any GM has been given in NFL history, because the curious timing of the hiring meant he had a full 10 months to study his team, the other teams, and the NCAA whereas typical GM's get 2.  Douglas was paid $4M to be epically prepared for the 2020 draft and free agency period and he got a "C" at best.

Let's hope he nailed the 2021 draft.  Depending on how the schedule falls, we may know very quickly.

SAR I

As a guy who does not support the idea of Zach Wilson being an eventual elite or even top 15-ish QB, I am simply flabbergasted that @T0mShane would give up on Joe Douglas after having the audacity to trade the NFL's # 36 ranked QB in favor of taking "Mormon Mahomes" (he said sarcastically).  

Its entertaining though, so there's that.  

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, RSJ said:

Nobody remembers who the Chargers picked after Ryan Leaf. Like many already have said its Wilson or bust. Also this style of defense can get really really ugly if its bad.

Counter point:  No one will remember the Cardinals once drafted Josh Rosen # 10 overall if Kyler Murray continues on a positive career trajectory.  Nor will anyone remember all the failure pile QB's the Browns and Bills took prior if Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen continue to win playoff games.

Joe Douglas signed a 6-year contract here.  If Zach Wilson sucks, the option to start over again immediately is there for him.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I'll step off the ledge.  Long way to opening day for all this anyway.

You've been one of the more well-reasoned posters here of late, in my biased opinion.  If you're close to the ledge I have to wonder who's already jumped.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fullblast said:

Wilson’s physical appearance is the least of my concerns. Biggest challenge for him, aside from the still questionable roster, will be how he adjusts to NFL game speed. Big leap from North Alabama to New England. If he adjusts quickly he’ll be fine.

Uh, am I just being dumb here, or did you just confuse Wilson with Mac Jones here?  

EDIT:  Oh I see.  North Alabama was one of his opponents.  Now he'll be facing New England.   My bad. 

Not really a legitimate concern though.  Who did Big Ben face when he was with Miami (OH), again?  Why has the PAC-12 produced so many great/very good pro QB's (Fouts, Elway, Moon, Aikman, Brunell, Bledsoe, Plummer, Rodgers, Palmer, Luck, Herbert) over a long span despite so few good defenses? 

Wilson had mixed results against the best teams on his schedule but at least some of that can be attributed to his supporting cast, no?

• Upvote 2

Counter point:  No one will remember the Cardinals once drafted Josh Rosen # 10 overall if Kyler Murray continues on a positive career trajectory.  Nor will anyone remember all the failure pile QB's the Browns and Bills took prior if Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen continue to win playoff games.
Joe Douglas signed a 6-year contract here.  If Zach Wilson sucks, the option to start over again immediately is there for him.  

Rosen wasn’t picked second overall. The guys who did pick him arent there anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There's no doubt Douglas was put in a tough spot for the 2019 season based on the timing of his hire.

...but...

By the same logic he was given the greatest head start any GM has been given in NFL history, because the curious timing of the hiring meant he had a full 10 months to study his team, the other teams, and the NCAA whereas typical GM's get 2.  Douglas was paid $4M to be epically prepared for the 2020 draft and free agency period and he got a "C" at best.

Let's hope he nailed the 2021 draft.  Depending on how the schedule falls, we may know very quickly.

SAR I

You know, I have thought a lot about what you are saying about the 2020 draft, and I agree with you wholeheartedly.  But, I am getting the feeling that Joe Douglas is a guy who will make mistakes, learn from them, and not repeat them.  This is what I believe.

I mean, he was a rookie GM, and he needed to unfortunately grow into the job.  

Now, after 2 years, I feel that JD is not the game GM virgin that we got 2 years ago.  I believe that Joe has grown into this job, is not repeating his mistakes of the past, and is someone to be respected and appreciated for what he is doing now.

I would like to give you an example of what I am saying.  Last year, he signed the best free agent offensive linemen he could find, even though none of them were any more than stop gaps, with maybe the exception of McGovern.  He got his first round stud in Becton, and then watched as the offensive line sucked for most of last year.

I think he learned from last year that he is not interested in signing stop-gap players, especially on the O line, and knew from way before this draft that come hell or high water, he will get his #1 left guard to continue to build that wall.  He could have overpaid for a quality guard in free agency, but he was smart not to do that.  He also was not going to trade down in the second round when the wide receiver he wanted was staring him in the face, when the entire world expected him to trade down.  By doing what he did, he got the QB he wanted, the left guard he wanted, the wide receiver he wanted, and in the 4th round, the running back he wanted.  No more trading down and trying to be cute.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

In JD we trust, after this draft !!!  My only one wish would have been a Center along with this draft, but if reports are true that we already have a Center in mind for next year, then I'm cool with that. 

I'm very interested in seeing Connor McGovern II, Electric Boogaloo, at Center in 2021, if we go that route.

With a real QB taking his snaps, and an elite G prospect next to him, he'll get back to being a Top 10 (or so) C in the NFL like he was in Denver.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I live in NC.  Talked to a few Panthers' fans about Darnold yesterday.  Told them they had a great draft, but its unfortunate that Darnold is their QB.

Their rave review on Darnold, collectively:  "I mean, he's better than you think he'll be."

Oh.  

I think Darnold will have Kirk Cousins type success.   Just my opinion.  

30 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Rosen wasn’t picked second overall. The guys who did pick him arent there anymore.

Yes but Murray was picked # 1.  And that GM who took Rosen didn't have a 6-year deal, did he? 

Just saying...it can be done.  Nothing is more important for a franchise than finding a franchise QB, whoever ends up being the guy to pick him.  

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I think Darnold will have Kirk Cousins type success.   Just my opinion.  

Darnold has not done one thing in this league to demonstrate he can reach that level.  Kirk Cousins had three 4,000+ yard seasons (and one near 5,000 yard season) in Washington, one of the few places with, arguably, consistently worse ownership than the Jets.

And I'm a guy who thinks Cousins is overrated and wanted no part in paying him what Maccagnan wanted to pay him in 2018.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2aaebaa6e4d40a5527a8be3ce2aefaf8--word-p

I read an article on Grammarly saying Bare is the incorrect one before posting. 

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/bear-with-me/#:~:text=Bare with me doesn't,searched for the correct graph.

Bare with me doesn't mean what you might think it means! The verb bare means “to reveal” or “to uncover.” The correct expression, “bear with me,” means “be patient with me.” The speaker asked the audience to bear with her while she searched for the correct graph.

The Internet is full of mistaken uses of homophones in expressions such as bear with me and bare with me. Bare with me doesn’t mean what you might think it means! The verb bare means “to reveal” or “to uncover.” The correct expression, “bear with me,” means “be patient with me.”

CORRECT:  The speaker asked the audience to bear with her while she searched for the correct graph.

INCORRECT:  Sorry, until I find the graph you will have to bare with me.

49 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think he's referencing their competition.

Yep.  You're too quick!  Responded even while I was in the process of editing:

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Uh, am I just being dumb here, or did you just confuse Wilson with Mac Jones here?  

EDIT:  Oh I see.  North Alabama was one of his opponents.  Now he'll be facing New England.   My bad. 

Not really a legitimate concern though.  Who did Big Ben face when he was with Miami (OH), again?  Why has the PAC-12 produced so many great/very good pro QB's (Fouts, Elway, Moon, Aikman, Brunell, Bledsoe, Plummer, Rodgers, Palmer, Luck, Herbert) over a long span despite so few good defenses? 

Wilson had mixed results against the best teams on his schedule but at least some of that can be attributed to his supporting cast, no?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold has not done one thing in this league to demonstrate he can reach that level.  Kirk Cousins had three 4,000+ yard seasons (and one near 5,000 yard season) in Washington, one of the few places with, arguably, consistently worse ownership than the Jets.

And I'm a guy who thinks Cousins is overrated and wanted no part in paying him what Maccagnan wanted to pay him in 2018.  

The good news is, in 8 months we will see.  I don't really care personally I simply believe NO QB could have survived here. Mahommes looked awful against the Bucs. Imagine that, week in , week out. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:54 PM, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

Sad Pikachu GIF

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The good news is, in 8 months we will see.  I don't really care personally I simply believe NO QB could have survived here. Mahommes looked awful against the Bucs. Imagine that, week in , week out. 

Mahomes threw for 50+ TDs and won a SB and an MVP.  That doesn't all get thrown away based on 1 game with all 5 OL injured.  Stop it.  

Darnold Darnod Darnold.  , last year at USC and 3 years , even with soso line.   He just did not show me he could be a top 15 qb in this leauge.   So you do what ever you have to , and get a top 10 qb.  And w 2nd pick in draft thats what you do.    Burrows had a bad o line but you could see , that he made players around him better Darnold never did.   DARNOLd  Has a really good team around him now ,  if he is not a good qb this year then , not only was this draft goood , it will make it Great. 

• Upvote 1

Yes but Murray was picked # 1.  And that GM who took Rosen didn't have a 6-year deal, did he? 
Just saying...it can be done.  Nothing is more important for a franchise than finding a franchise QB, whoever ends up being the guy to pick him.  

Douglas wont complete his 6 year deal if Wilson busts. You cant just have a franchise QB. You need to surround him with quality talent and coaching. Thats one of the many things about this that I dont think you get. But hey you have the right to your opinion. You got your guy and your coaching staff. Now let’s see how they do as opposed to Darnold in Carolina.

Btw Murray hasnt proven much either.

• Upvote 1

Darnold Darnod Darnold.  , last year at USC and 3 years , even with soso line.   He just did not show me he could be a top 15 qb in this leauge.   So you do what ever you have to , and get a top 10 qb.  And w 2nd pick in draft thats what you do.    Burrows had a bad o line but you could see , that he made players around him better Darnold never did.   DARNOLd  Has a really good team around him now ,  if he is not a good qb this year then , not only was this draft goood , it will make it Great. 

Joe Burrow was on a team that thoroughly beat the Jets with Andy Dalton at QB. If you are happy fine - but dont play make believe.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mahomes threw for 50+ TDs and won a SB and an MVP.  That doesn't all get thrown away based on 1 game with all 5 OL injured.  Stop it.  

Yes...Im sure he would have accomplished that under Gase as well. Stop it.  We have 1/1oth the talent of KC.   But we will see....  I want Darnold to do well just to stick it to Woody.  

52 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes...Im sure he would have accomplished that under Gase as well. Stop it.  We have 1/1oth the talent of KC.   But we will see....  I want Darnold to do well just to stick it to Woody.  

Come on man.   Herbert just went for 31/10 and OROY behind the # 32 ranked OL, for pete's sake.

Darnold ruined Gase far more than the other way around.  He was a flawed prospect at USC.  Did his college coaches ruin him too?  How about Bowles/Bates?  Everybody failed Sweet Sammy?

At some point, a QB can play or he can't.   Stop trying to complicate matters so much.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Come on man.   Herbert just went for 31/10 and OROY behind the # 32 ranked OL, for pete's sake.

Darnold ruined Gase far more than the other way around.  He was a flawed prospect at USC.  Did his college coaches ruin him too?  How about Bowles/Bates?  Everybody failed Sweet Sammy?

At some point, a QB can play or he can't.   Stop trying to complicate matters so much.

It’s amazing how little accountability darnold is given for his own failures.  I can’t think of a qb who’s played this bad who has ever been given this much of a complete pass.  

• Upvote 2