Jump to content

I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause. Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choic

Purge these Darnold fans. This sh*t reads like a parody.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, that's exactly why.  Now go away for the next 5 years, please.  

I will not be bullied

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Counter point:  No one will remember the Cardinals once drafted Josh Rosen # 10 overall if Kyler Murray continues on a positive career trajectory.  Nor will anyone remember all the failure pile QB's the Browns and Bills took prior if Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen continue to win playoff games.

Joe Douglas signed a 6-year contract here.  If Zach Wilson sucks, the option to start over again immediately is there for him.  

Counterpoint: Kyler Murray sucks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Counterpoint: Kyler Murray sucks

Counterpoint:  You suck, Gase sucks, Darnold sucks, your dumb arguments suck, your downvotes suck, your dumb face sucks, and Zach Wilson probably sucks.  

Now either come vent in a Mafia game or quit being a petulant child, ya baby.  Even @dbatesman is laughing at you these days.

I say all this out of love because I care.  ❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RSJ said:

Douglas wont complete his 6 year deal if Wilson busts. You cant just have a franchise QB. You need to surround him with quality talent and coaching. Thats one of the many things about this that I dont think you get. But hey you have the right to your opinion. You got your guy and your coaching staff. Now let’s see how they do as opposed to Darnold in Carolina.

Btw Murray hasnt proven much either.

Don't condescend.  My take is a QB is not hopelessly held back by his circumstances.  Circumstances only provide an assist to what a QB already has in his brain and body.  Circumstances can't "ruin" a great QB prospect, nor create a great QB prospect. 

A QB is born to play the position or he isn't.  At least 80 % of what a QB is is determined well before he gets to the pros.  He spends his life learning the craft, going through the youth, HS and college ranks.  Born and bred to play the game, along the way learning about pre-snap reads, making quick decisions, looking off DB's, throwing guys open, checking down and when not to check down, and throwing a perfect ball that leads your man.  

And this isn't news.  Only about 12-14 guys on the planet can play the position at a high level at any given time.  There's a massive pile of QB's who have never made it, and Darnold is in that pile.  So be it.

Nature over nurture.  Not excuses.  The data supports my take.  Why we all continue to argue over this philosophical truth year after year is beyond stupid.  It just....is. 

And it's so predictable.  You'll respond to this post by calling out my snarkyness and smugness while not actually providing a take that counters the point.  Because there is none.  Justin Herbert didn't throw for 31/10 because of Keenan Allen.  He threw for 31/10 because he can play the position.  Sam Darnold sucked for 3 years because he can't.  It really is that simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Counterpoint:  You suck, Gase sucks, Darnold sucks, your dumb arguments suck, your downvotes suck, your dumb face sucks, and Zach Wilson probably sucks.  

Now either come vent in a Mafia game or quit being a petulant child, ya baby.  Even @dbatesman is laughing at you these days.

I say all this out of love because I care.  ❤️

I’m working on getting primed for a post-COVID Orgy Summer. I wish all the best to Zach Wilson and hope he’s the MVP. As to you and @dbatesman, you can mock me all you want. I’ll be rolling into Orgy Summer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m working on getting primed for a post-COVID Orgy Summer. I wish all the best to Zach Wilson and hope he’s the MVP. As to you and @dbatesman, you can mock me all you want. I’ll be rolling into Orgy Summer. 

So you really are going to take a break from JN, finally?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you really are going to take a break from JN, finally?

Yes. I’m going to have Fred Warner take over my account as a gauge to see how big it really is. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes. I’m going to have Fred Warner take over my account as a gauge to see how big it really is. 

Is that who the orgy is gonna be with or did you have some other guy in mind

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is that who the orgy is gonna be with or did you have some other guy in mind

lololol I should be so lucky

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Uh, am I just being dumb here, or did you just confuse Wilson with Mac Jones here?  

EDIT:  Oh I see.  North Alabama was one of his opponents.  Now he'll be facing New England.   My bad. 

 

Not really a legitimate concern though.  Who did Big Ben face when he was with Miami (OH), again?  Why has the PAC-12 produced so many great/very good pro QB's (Fouts, Elway, Moon, Aikman, Brunell, Bledsoe, Plummer, Rodgers, Palmer, Luck, Herbert) over a long span despite so few good defenses? 

Wilson had mixed results against the best teams on his schedule but at least some of that can be attributed to his supporting cast, no?

I mean I’m not saying he’s going to fail because of it, it’ll just be a question for me until he gets some games under his belt. I think the transition with be significant and expect some pretty rough performances early on but hopefully he and the team show improvement over the course of the season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Counterpoint:  You suck, Gase sucks, Darnold sucks, your dumb arguments suck, your downvotes suck, your dumb face sucks, and Zach Wilson probably sucks.  

Now either come vent in a Mafia game or quit being a petulant child, ya baby.  Even @dbatesman is laughing at you these days.

I say all this out of love because I care.  ❤️

@T0mShane and I have been in the same foxhole for enough battles that I’ll never laugh at him, but it is a sad day to see him jumping into Pac’s foxhole instead

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

@T0mShane and I have been in the same foxhole for enough battles that I’ll never laugh at him, but it is a sad day to see him jumping into Pac’s foxhole instead

Excuse me sir. @Pac’s foxhole issue is that he wanted to keep Darnold around as a means to cling to some vestige of Maccagnan’s legacy. My foxhole issue is that Douglas and Saleh took their one big shot on a QB whom I see as a dubious bet to deliver here, which leads to crippling anxiety and despair. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Excuse me sir. @Pac’s foxhole issue is that he wanted to keep Darnold around as a means to cling to some vestige of Maccagnan’s legacy. My foxhole issue is that Douglas and Saleh took their one big shot on a QB whom I see as a dubious bet to deliver here, which leads to crippling anxiety and despair. 

Ryan Pace just traded up for a quarterback in the first round four years after trading up to #2 overall to draft Mitchell Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes. Douglas does a good job and the team is good I'm not convinced taking his favorite QB at #2 and not having it work out is what buries him. Nagy came a year later but ditto for Saleh, particularly if the defense gets cooking and the run game is solid - neither of which seems like a crazy concept. LaFleur is a nice built in scapegoat.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, derp said:

Ryan Pace just traded up for a quarterback in the first round four years after trading up to #2 overall to draft Mitchell Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes. Douglas does a good job and the team is good I'm not convinced taking his favorite QB at #2 and not having it work out is what buries him. Nagy came a year later but ditto for Saleh, particularly if the defense gets cooking and the run game is solid - neither of which seems like a crazy concept. LaFleur is a nice built in scapegoat.

I feel like it’ll be a tough sell if, God forbid, Wilson busts, presuming Wilson gets three years to prove himself. Douglas will be in Year Five of his six-year deal, and Saleh will be three years down the line with a bad QB. Fair or not, Douglas has a 2-14 season around his neck, and what is likely to be a rough season forthcoming, so the seat will get a little warm if Wilson is mushy. I’m optimistic that this offensive system and OL will keep Wilson from looking awful-awful, but I don’t see the Jets harboring a Plan B if he’s Mariota-esque.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T0mShane said:

I feel like it’ll be a tough sell if, God forbid, Wilson busts, presuming Wilson gets three years to prove himself. Douglas will be in Year Five of his six-year deal, and Saleh will be three years down the line with a bad QB. Fair or not, Douglas has a 2-14 season around his neck, and what is likely to be a rough season forthcoming, so the seat will get a little warm if Wilson is mushy. I’m optimistic that this offensive system and OL will keep Wilson from looking awful-awful, but I don’t see the Jets harboring a Plan B if he’s Mariota-esque.

Oh for sure, and I think it kind of depends on what a bust really ends up being. To me if you're taking a quarterback at #2 you want him to be the guy long-term. So guys like Jared Goff, Carson Wentz - to me are busts. But the kind of team success those groups had...if the team ends up even a little shy of that level and continues to be trending in that direction I'd think they stick. There's a lot of grey area there IMO.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Excuse me sir. @Pac’s foxhole issue is that he wanted to keep Darnold around as a means to cling to some vestige of Maccagnan’s legacy. My foxhole issue is that Douglas and Saleh took their one big shot on a QB whom I see as a dubious bet to deliver here, which leads to crippling anxiety and despair. 

I shouldn’t have to explain this to a guy who repeatedly called Darnold a “mush”.  Is this still a Gase thing or something? 

Your inability/unwillingness to compartmentalize trading Darnold away from drafting Wilson is frustrating. Trading Darnold was a great move regardless of which QB Douglas replaced him with. Weirdo. 

Meanwhile, supporting a trade of Darnold is not an automatic vote of confidence in Wilson. 

Do you even nuance, bruh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:


Your inability to compartmentalizations trading Darnold from drafting Wilson is frustrating.

Meanwhile, supporting a trade of Darnold is not an automatic vote of confidence in Wilson.

Do you even nuance, bruh?

You didn’t even know what a foxhole looked like until last year, you ****. I don’t care about Darnold. He washed out here and was toast. What I object to was trading one Darnold for possibly the next Darnold.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You didn’t even know what a foxhole looked like until last year, you ****. I don’t care about Darnold. He washed out here and was toast. What I object to was trading one Darnold for possibly the next Darnold.

As opposed to keeping Darnold to be the next Darnold for another year.  Wayyy better dog. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Excuse me sir. @Pac’s foxhole issue is that he wanted to keep Darnold around as a means to cling to some vestige of Maccagnan’s legacy. My foxhole issue is that Douglas and Saleh took their one big shot on a QB whom I see as a dubious bet to deliver here, which leads to crippling anxiety and despair. 

I can’t say I agree with you in this particular case, but I know the feeing all too well, and certainly won’t argue with it

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, derp said:

Oh for sure, and I think it kind of depends on what a bust really ends up being. To me if you're taking a quarterback at #2 you want him to be the guy long-term. So guys like Jared Goff, Carson Wentz - to me are busts. But the kind of team success those groups had...if the team ends up even a little shy of that level and continues to be trending in that direction I'd think they stick. There's a lot of grey area there IMO.

What I liked most about this draft was the Vera-Tucker pick because, presuming he and Becton form a dominant left side, there’s a built-in out if Wilson doesn’t have his sea legs. It’s possible the offense could look functional even if they don’t trust him to throw the ball downfield, like San Francisco was able to do with Garoppollo. I think part of the problem with both Goff and Wentz is that they were fine when they had limited responsibilities in their respective offenses, but got Peter Principle’d when the focus was put on them to actually win games. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been hesitant to open this thread. I finally got the courage to open it and it was everything I’d imagined.

Saying we could have done better and starting two of those options with “we could have kept Darnold”.......

Come on now. Zach Wilson is a much better prospect than Sam Darnold. You’ll feel much better when you watch him in green and white this summer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Who gives a flying fuucck that you are melancholy? None of those options are in any way better and the Jets FO discarded them. Keeping Darnolf would be flat out idiotic. And Doiglas had an incredible  draft. Wilson is our future just accept it
Off your meds huh?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
2019 Free Agency (F)
2020 Free Agency (D)
2020 Draft ©
2021 Free Agency (D)
2021 Draft (TBD)
"Just getting started!"   Ha ha ha ha.  This from the same guy that wanted Adam Gase's head in a noose after 4 weeks!  You're going to give Joe Douglas 4 years?  LOL.  Kool Aid, much?
That's an awful report card.  The only thing that will save Joe Douglas is if he nailed this draft.  Based on the other 4 touchpoints, be concerned.  Be very concerned.  Takes a special kind of stupid to turn a 7 win team into a 2 win team, trade away all your best players, and hand the Giants the division.  If he weren't a draft freak's wet dream, he'd be gone already.
SAR I
Adam ... move on already brah ... you just were not any good at coaching or leading men brah.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
What I liked most about this draft was the Vera-Tucker pick because, presuming he and Becton form a dominant left side, there’s a built-in out if Wilson doesn’t have his sea legs. It’s possible the offense could look functional even if they don’t trust him to throw the ball downfield, like San Francisco was able to do with Garoppollo. I think part of the problem with both Goff and Wentz is that they were fine when they had limited responsibilities in their respective offenses, but got Peter Principle’d when the focus was put on them to actually win games. 
Because of the QB price tag ... this is as certain as death and taxes. QBs have to develop by year 3 ... and show they can lift a team and be THE reason for winning games.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dunnie said:


Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

Good job taking cheap shots at Jets fans while advertising the fact that you have a 4 year old phone with a street value of $20, brah.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
Good job taking cheap shots at Jets fans while advertising the fact that you have a 4 year old phone with a street value of $20, brah.
SAR I
My plan is to keep this thing till it is worth

$.25

No cheap shot either brah... it is time to move on.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 1:54 PM, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

Its not melancholy, its whining that they didnt draft your guys.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You didn’t even know what a foxhole looked like until last year, you ****. I don’t care about Darnold. He washed out here and was toast. What I object to was trading one Darnold for possibly the next Darnold.

I dont know anyone who feels this way about Wilson, dont see any kind of groundswell that doesnt trust his abilities.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
As opposed to keeping Darnold to be the next Darnold for another year.  Wayyy better dog. 
Well ... tbh .... it is one of the things I am looking forward to the most this upcoming season.

I want to see how Darnold performs away from the sh*tshow that was the Gase led Jets.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Good job taking cheap shots at Jets fans while advertising the fact that you have a 4 year old phone with a street value of $20, brah.

SAR I

Yes.  He certainly should have leased a newer one.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 5:20 PM, Pac said:

Agreed.  I'm with Kiper.  Should have traded down and built around Sam.

I'm not excited but not too bummed either.  Just a subtle malaise as I see this Tiger Beat QB go through the motions lying through his teeth about hoping to land with the Jets.

I guess we'll see.

Kiper gave the Jets draft an A-

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, Philc1 said:

He was only controversial to people with eyes

None of the negatives the haters have with Wilson has anything to do with their eyes Stevie Wonder

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...