I am feeling melancholy regarding the Jets draft and I think I know why

On 5/2/2021 at 1:54 PM, Alka said:

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choice not named Lawrence, we got the much needed quality guard to line up next to Becton, we got a solid wide receiver that we really did need, and we got a great value at #107 with Michael Carter.

So, what's the problem?  Why am I not super psyched right now?

Because I think we could have done better.  I think that Joe Douglas was smart, but conservative.  Perhaps that is what the Jets need right now.

We could have gone in 3 different directions, all of which I would now be super pumped.  Let me list them:

1. Kept Darnold, and drafted a future hall of fame player in Kyle Pitts, got a really good tackle at #23, got Elijah Moore at #34, then picked up a solid guard in the 3rd round.  Wow, you vastly upgrade the O line with no holes, get not one but (2) amazing pass catchers which would put the Jets in a great place on offense, and still get Michael Carter in the 4th round.  This would have made me psyched and not melancholy.

2. Kept Darnold, trade the 2nd pick of the draft for 2 - 1st round draft picks for the next 2 years, plus get a 3rd round pick for this year, and probably a pick around 10 which could have netted Davonte Smith.  Happy, happy, happy.

3. Traded Darnold as they did, pick up Zach at QB, but stay put at #23, draft your tackle (Darrishaw), take Moore at #34, then pick up a quality guard in the 3rd round, get a quality linebacker in the 3rd round, etc...

Again, I'm not unhappy, just dreaming about what could have been.....

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definition of melancholy to help my fellow Jets fans:  A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause. Did I hate what the Jets did in this draft?  No, we got a new QB of our choic

Purge these Darnold fans. This sh*t reads like a parody.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What I liked most about this draft was the Vera-Tucker pick because, presuming he and Becton form a dominant left side, there’s a built-in out if Wilson doesn’t have his sea legs. It’s possible the offense could look functional even if they don’t trust him to throw the ball downfield, like San Francisco was able to do with Garoppollo. I think part of the problem with both Goff and Wentz is that they were fine when they had limited responsibilities in their respective offenses, but got Peter Principle’d when the focus was put on them to actually win games. 

This is better.  Now go do better or go find @Gastineau Lives, ya depressed f**k.