Undrafted Free Agent Roundup

clayton163v

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Hamelcar Rashid is 6' 3" 255 lbs and projects at edge.  He carried a 4th round grade. 

Kenny Yeboah is 6' 3.5" 250 lbs and is a tight end.  He carried a 4th round grade. 

Awesome write ups! Thanks! 

Can you please expand on why two guys with 4th round grades both went undrafted?

• Upvote 1

I try not to get too excited for UDFA’s but in this case I will admit to being very excited about Hamilcar Rashed. 

Oregon St. gave him too much to do this year, just let him pin ears back and penetrate, I think he’ll hold up well.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Thanks man. Have enjoyed your writeups this draft season. Stick around.

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Thanks man. Have enjoyed your writeups this draft season. Stick around.

You're welcome. 

3 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Nice work man. I believe Tristen Hoge is related to Merrill Hoge ex Pitt Steeler

I had not heard that.  Hoge had a high grade coming out of high school.  While that does not always matter, it does for offensive lineman.  He has real talent but needs to develop better technique.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Awesome write ups! Thanks! 

Can you please expand on why two guys with 4th round grades both went undrafted?

Hamilcar Rashid projected as a 3-4 outside linebacker who played in a two-point stance.  But he was seldom used in coverage and it was unfamiliar terrain for him.  Further, his pass rush is pure outside rush.  NFL tackles have seen that before and you need to develop a counter.  That too was something new to him.  When you consider that fewer and fewer teams run the 3-4, it limited the number of teams willing to work with him.  From the standpoint of the Jets, he is well worth it because he is free.  You cannot teach speed around the edge.  But he is not ready this season imo.  But that does not mean he has no future with us. 

Yeboah is harder to understand.  He projects as an inline tight end.  He needs to develop by adding weight which is something his frame will permit.  I guess it is because he is 23 and older than other prospects.  I see him as somebody who will be ready after a year in the program.  Inline tight ends are harder to find than H-backs. 

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I try not to get too excited for UDFA’s but in this case I will admit to being very excited about Hamilcar Rashed. 

Oregon St. gave him too much to do this year, just let him pin ears back and penetrate, I think he’ll hold up well.

He needs some coaching and to adapt to playing with his hand in the dirt, but you cannot teach speed around the edge.  I see him as some great free stuff.

• Upvote 2

Thank for the roundup....

This is the first time I recall the jets did a great job rounding up UDFA signings. Doesn't mean any will pan out,however they were on it and well prepared. The kind of stuff the our rivals used to only do