Starting QB

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

It is fairly obvious what the Jets have in mind.  They are waiting for somebody to sign Hoyer so we do not have to.  Once that happens they will bring in Geno Smith and announce that the starting job is open to start the season.  Geno will win the job, play the first eight games and go 2-6.  The coach will then say "Wilson I'm sorry" and we will begin the new era.  Obvious, isn't it? 

WFT or WTF, whatever.

You may be right, but the development of a quarterback is a myth. Either they suck and the team doesn’t want to play them yet, or they play and learn in the job. 

Andy Reid didn’t have any fear of losing his job so he had the luxury of letting mahomes breathe for a year. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Wilson shouldn't be the starter.  They should sit him a year like they did with Mahomes.

Like Bart just said on SNY - they should get Foles in here.

I would like Wilson to see some action in the second half of the year. Maybe last 6 games. 

8 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I would like Wilson to see some action in the second half of the year. Maybe last 6 games. 

I was just imagining a hostage situation on the show, with @Philc1 forcing Zach Wilson to read the terms of his release. “ LIONS we will pre-arrange the spot, first release the Sewell then I will let Zach free AFTER he is in my custody. We will be gentle with Zach, we know he is only 208 pounds of good weight.”

30 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You never name the rookie the starter. You always have a veteran who either get injured or play just bad enough that everyone gets excited as soon as they're benched and the rookie gets to be the hero. 

I have to respectfully disagree. The Jets made a decision to part ways with Donald. We can speculate why all we want but the bottom line is they parted ways. One reason was Wilson. End of story. He will be the starter day one and he and the coaches will let him grow into the scheme. This is not Vinnie Testaverde in Tampa Bay. This is a very good coaching staff. This is different. The Jets don’t have an Alex Smith. It will be a mistake to bring in a veteran that will become ‘his’ team. This is Wilson’s team ‘til proven otherwise.

I would expect Wilson to start at some point during the season.  If that is opening day, or a few weeks into the season depends on how he performs in camp and if it appears he is ready to run an NFL offense day 1.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

It would be a shame to give up a 2021 draft pick to get Foles.  Those will be valuable picks, and that is moving backwards for a one year rental.  

Pay someone to backup/mentor-Hoyer, Mullens, etc.  

Foles will be let go shortly so no trade is necessary. 

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s also beneficial for the entire offense if they are working with a veteran QB who in a perfect world is very familiar with the system to help the rest get caught up to speed much quicker.

But in this case everyone is starting fresh with a brand new set of coaches and systems. Sure everyone assumes the systems will look like what Shanahan ran in SF, but there are bound to be wrinkles that Lafleur and Saleh introduce. 

Let them all learn and grow together. Start Wilson from day 1 and don't look back. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

This is a very good coaching staff. This is different. 

Based on? The HC, OC and DC are all doing it for the first time. 

You can hope they are good, but there's no objective measure to say that they are a good staff before they have ever coached a single game at their current positions. 

1 hour ago, TheMo said:

Jets Fans: Mahomes would have never been as good here. We would have thrown him in too fast. He's good cause Reid/KC were smart and let him learn behind a vet for a year while building the team up.

Also Jets fans: Wilson should 100% start from day 1. He's the next Mahomes!!!

Mahomes, who sat for an entire season.

Foles isn't amazing by any stretch, but he's a smart vet who would be as good as anyone available to start the season and back Wilson up once they make the switch.

And here's an interesting rub....CHI is in cap trouble still.  They will be at least $3M over the cap when they complete their roster, and that's without making any other moves.  So they need some relief.  

They also have too many QBs.  Dalton and Fields is the plan.  Foles is excess baggage there.

If they cut him after Jun 1, it will cost them $1M against the cap with $7M in dead money.  But if they TRADE him after Jun 1, it will save them $4M against the cap with only $2.7M in dead money.  That's a lifeline for them.

So here's the question.  We would be doing them a substantial favor to trade for Foles.  I figure that's worth something.  They have no 1st or 4th next year, so I'm not sure what would make sense, but there's an opportunity here.

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Buffalo, Kansas City, San Diego, Houston, Baltimore...

..but I get your point.. their QBs didn't develop at all. 

How many of those teams were starting with brand new coaching  staffs and brand new systems. This is a unique situation , let them all learn and grow in lockstep.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

How many of those teams were starting with brand new coaching  staffs and brand new systems. This is a unique situation , let them all learn and grow in lockstep.

San Diego most recently. 

i'm not so big on bringing in the proverbial vet to even start the season.  it all sounds good on paper but how many times does it actually work?  and they still have morgan and white.  just how well did flacco do last season?  flacco, arguably, was still a decent qb and he still lost the games he played. 

The only reason Mahomes sat was because KC was a playoff caliber team with Alex Smith.  Alex Smith wasn't some jag vet backup.  He was a Jag starting QB on a playoff team.

If Mahomes was drafted to a 4 win KC team he would have started from day 1.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Wilson 100% starts week one.

That's the plan. But, they still should bring Foles in to give the kid a veteran QB to learn from. Plus, it gives the Jets the freedom to sit Wilson if he looks like he would benefit from not being in the lineup at any time.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You never name the rookie the starter. You always have a veteran who either get injured or play just bad enough that everyone gets excited as soon as they're benched and the rookie gets to be the hero. 

This is too accurate. Too bad we didn’t pick up Tyrod.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TheMo said:

San Diego most recently. 

And Tyrod started 1 whole game ,basically boosting my point.  There is no reason for Wilson not to start from the outset, if we are worried about ruining his confidence he was not the right pick and we'll find out sooner rather than later.  

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Wilson is the number 2 overall pick. 

He’s going to be the opening day starter 9/10 times. Just the way the NFL works. 

Typically but F that, do what's right for the kid.  At least bring the vet in as a back up plan and if Zach is clearly better, fine, let him roll but idk, just seems like a silly decision after a ton of great work to surround him with support..

If there was a legit decent Veteran on the roster, sure, I'd probably like to see Wilson sit a year.  I tend to think sitting a year is good for rookie QB's.

But there isn't.  And there really isn't one available in Free Agency.

So Wilson is the man from day 1.  When you're the #2 pick, that is kinda expected these days.

So since he'll have plenty of coaches already, we don't need one as the #2 QB.  Either Morgan can do it, or sign some other prospect who can do it, but no need to sign any scrub old men.  Again, if Wilson needs Coaches with NFL QB experience, hire one as a Coach.  Not as a #2 QB.  JMO.

6 hours ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

The only thing foles is good at is being replaced.

So he'd be the perfect guy...

I can't believe so many people want to bring in a guy that got benched by guys like Gardiner Minshew and Mitch Trubisky?

Tell that to Wentz. 

19 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Jets really botched this, if this draft is as good as some say the Jets really should have had or need to go get a veteran who can actually play and win, there were plenty of guys available earlier in FA.  Would also give Wilson a much higher chance at success if he can sit and learn for a year while the team had some success.

Guys, you do not draft a QB #1 or #2 and do not start him from day 1 unless he really really looks unready. It is a nice luxury but likely will not happen. Getting someone like Foles will be great though to mentor Wilson and such, but since the backup QB is not yet on the roster it would be a stunner if one comes in and starts the first 4-6 games before Wilson comes in. Yes, we could have picked up one earlier, but we had the whole Darnold situation that if we would have picked up a QB from FA prior to trading Darnold we would not have even got a 7th rounder for Darnold since everyone would have known we were getting rid of him. See, none of us were on the trade calls, but part of getting especially the 2nd and 4th for next year from the Panthers was that the JD likely had to bluff and say if we do not get what we want in return we will keep Darnold and a backup. So he played this the best that he could since he also had to wait long enough to evaluate Wilson both from the QB aspects as well as his health. He did as good as you could have done based on all of these windows and issues between Darnold and Wilson, unless he had Fields ranked as high as Wilson and could have dealt with him instead, and I get the impression he did not.

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If there was a legit decent Veteran on the roster, sure, I'd probably like to see Wilson sit a year.  I tend to think sitting a year is good for rookie QB's.

But there isn't.  And there really isn't one available in Free Agency.

So Wilson is the man from day 1.  When you're the #2 pick, that is kinda expected these days.

So since he'll have plenty of coaches already, we don't need one as the #2 QB.  Either Morgan can do it, or sign some other prospect who can do it, but no need to sign any scrub old men.  Again, if Wilson needs Coaches with NFL QB experience, hire one as a Coach.  Not as a #2 QB.  JMO.

Heck put Beck on the payroll as a coach. If Wilson was willing to travel 10 hour trips to train with Beck for many months in the offseason he is very comfortable with him and respects him and that is mainly what you need when getting info/knowledge from a backup QB who may never take the field anyway. I know we won't go with no QBs that have no NFL exp. but we have not had a backup QB win us a game in I can't even remember when. So, Morgan might have a better chance to win game(s) as a backup then a Vet scrub like Hoyer.