Could the Dolphins crash and burn?

9 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Im seeing a bunch of list where the the Dolphins had the best draft in the NFL this year. They have got sooo much love. 

But I kind of don't get it?

Firstly they picked Tua over Herbert. If this happened in NY planes would be flown immediately to fire the whole FO. They won a bunch of games with Fitz. But he's gone. 

This year they: Passed on the opportunity to take Pitts at 3. They also could have stayed at 12 and drafted Fields . But I think they got cute in thinking they would get Chase or Pitts and lost both. I love Waddle like the rest of you. But hes 5'9 coming off an injured season. He is not Chase or Pitts. Was he really worth an extra first round pick? What happens if hes more like Ruggs was last year as WR's take time to develop. Then they follow it up with Jaelen Phillips who is a concussion or two from possibly retiring again. Love Jaelen but isn't your whole team injured?

This is after wasting a ton of money on FA's like Van Noy. All those picks from Tunsil are done and theyll be drafting super late next year(Niners pick). Meaning they're not getting a QB next year if Tua fails. I hate to say but when I look at that offense I see injury risk everywhere. Tua, Devante Parker, PED Fuller, Waddle leg surgery, Preston Williams and even Gaskin was injured. How many games/snaps did all these guys play last year?

Anyone else seeing a crash and burn in Miami ? Like fire the FO and start over in a year or two kinda thing? 

No.  I dont see this happening at all.  Phillips and Waddle are explosive as hell and if they got 80% of Tyreek Hill and 80% of a Bosa type out of Phillips, it's grand slam 1st round.  

I also 100% expect Watson to be there QB of the future. 

The Dolphins are loaded.  I think their first 5 picks were legit, homeruns.  Honestly, it may be a few season before we beat a single AFCE team.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Fck the Dolphins, unless they're breathing down our necks or upsetting the apple cart when it matters, WHO CARES. The true pukes of the AFCE, younger Jets fans goggles often get foggy over how deep the hatred runs because of the comparative "newness" of Constipated Bill, Shady, and Uncle Ernie's Traveling Tapescapades. Well, I say remember thy history and make the Miami hatred bloom anew. Miami was cheating before The Cheats. The Mud Bowl: Never Forget. 

The more they fail the better I feel so hate the Dolphins at every meal. It rhymed, whaddaya want.

I'll never forgive Shula for cheating and turning the field into a swamp. It was the only way they had a chance to win that game. But I think of the Monday Night Miracle and going into work (in Palm Beach County) on Tuesday and giving my co-workers a huge rash of crap.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Our fan base just spent 3 years playing Darnold Excuse Twister. Tua -- in his 9 career starts and coming back from a devestating injury -- has been superior in every way to Darnold. If Darnold had any 9 game stretch in his career like Tua's career to date, he's probably still be here.

image.thumb.png.1ea05ce004064802fa14cfaf582b5811.png

That’s not saying much tho. I think he’s extremely accurate but his lack of arm strength is concerning. I cannot see him leading a team deep in the playoffs. Dolphins down 5 with 90 seconds to go, I rather have Darnold than Tua and it’s not even close. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Thought it was very telling Waddle was asked who he would rather catch balls from Tua or Mac Jones and he said Jones. Ross wanted Tua let’s see how long he sticks around if things don’t go well, for some reason they were ready to dump him early. 
Teammates speaking out against him talk of being traded just after his first year can’t be good for a young QBs confidence. They did draft well to put pieces around him but it’s my opinion that they are ready to plug a proper quarterback in Tua spot.

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They won 10 games last year.  How about we see how the season plays out before we predict their demise.

So you're saying we should predict their demise AFTER it has already happened? ;-) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

That’s not saying much tho. I think he’s extremely accurate but his lack of arm strength is concerning. I cannot see him leading a team deep in the playoffs. Dolphins down 5 with 90 seconds to go, I rather have Darnold than Tua and it’s not even close. 

If the dolphins are down 5 with 90 to go they would put Tua on the bench and put in Fitzpatrick. There was a game last year against a crap defense that Tua had like 17 of 22 for 90 yards before they pulled him. Passing on Herbert last year and all the QB's this year is going to cost people their jobs. People forget that the Dolphins had alot of draft capital and then traded alot of it already. 

A note about Eichenberg - Everyone is loving that pick too because he will be "The Dolphins RT for 10 years" bla bla. That dude has 32 arms. Hes a guard. They traded a third round pick next year to move up to get him in R2. 

Btw - For those guys into arm measurements Sherwood AND Hamsah have 34 inch arms. Super pumped about both players. 

They may or may not flame out but it’s weird how they and even Buffalo have this perception and reputation now of being these perennial powerhouses that the Jets will have trouble catching.  Buffalo at least has some playoff cred now but I still think some of there success is tenuous. Let’s see how they do being the hunted.

as for Miami, I agree their biggest risk is at an.  Fitz will win a lot of games for the teams perceived as not supposed to win.  He did that last year.  Let’s see tua and expectations 

51 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Not saying much that a rookie coming off a bum knee has played better ball than a 3-year vet at any point in the latter’s career? Not suggesting Tua is a world beater but you’re right. It’s not close. In Tua’s favor.

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

No.  I dont see this happening at all.  Phillips and Waddle are explosive as hell and if they got 80% of Tyreek Hill and 80% of a Bosa type out of Phillips, it's grand slam 1st round.  

The Dolphins are loaded.  I think their first 5 picks were legit, homeruns.  Honestly, it may be a few season before we beat a single AFCE team.

I don't see that happening. We'll win at least 1 to 2 games vs the division even if the Jets only win 6 to 7 games. 

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not saying much that a rookie coming off a bum knee has played better ball than a 3-year vet at any point in the latter’s career? Not suggesting Tua is a world beater but you’re right. It’s not close. In Tua’s favor.

Then why did he get pulled not once, but twice in Fitz’s favor? 

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

If the dolphins are down 5 with 90 to go they would put Tua on the bench and put in Fitzpatrick. There was a game last year against a crap defense that Tua had like 17 of 22 for 90 yards before they pulled him. Passing on Herbert last year and all the QB's this year is going to cost people their jobs. People forget that the Dolphins had alot of draft capital and then traded alot of it already. 

A note about Eichenberg - Everyone is loving that pick too because he will be "The Dolphins RT for 10 years" bla bla. That dude has 32 arms. Hes a guard. They traded a third round pick next year to move up to get him in R2. 

Btw - For those guys into arm measurements Sherwood AND Hamsah have 34 inch arms. Super pumped about both players. 

I agree 100%. He’s a mobile Chad Pennington AFTER the rotator cuff injuries. 

If Tua isn't the real deal, of course they could crash and burn. 

Dolphins should make an attempt to get Aaron Rodgers from the Packers. The Fins are built to win now and Rodgers immediately makes that team a top contender. 

If they truly believe in Tua though, they better be right. Because they passed on Fields, and Lance to stick with him. We'll see. His arm strength concerns me and he didn't show an ability to push the ball downfield at all as a rookie. But it was just his rookie season. I just wasn't impressed watching him and the fact that Mac Jones then had an even better season throwing to those guys at Alabama after Tua left would concern me a little.

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They won 10 games last year.  How about we see how the season plays out before we predict their demise.

10 wins.

• 2 of them were uncompetitive games vs the Jets. Not saying the Jets are automatically great this year, but they were hardly impressive wins.
  • 1 equally uncompetitive game vs the Jaguars.
  • 1 equally uncompetitive game vs. the Brandon Allen - Ryan Finley Bengals
  • 1 vs. the then 2-6 Chargers, whose only wins through Dec 6th were against the Bengals, Jaguars, and Jets.
  • 1 vs. the 49ers
  • 1 vs. the late-season Patriots, in between getting smoked worse by the Rams & Bills
  • 1 vs. the late-season Raiders, whose only win in their prior 5 games was that ridiculous Jets game

Yes Miami did beat the Rams, but then so did the Jets. Meanwhile Miami also lost to Denver, who otherwise went the whole season without beating a .500 team in their other 4 wins.

Unless Tua has a major turnaround, Miami's a paper tiger.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They’re really talented and well coached.  Early proclamations of Tua’s demise feel premature.

Demise is a strong word, but he certainly didn't look very good last year. There were zero flashes. 

But sure, if the team around him is talented and the coaching is good, he could  be good enough to Mark Sanchez them to the AFC Championship game. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Im seeing a bunch of list where the the Dolphins had the best draft in the NFL this year. They have got sooo much love. 

Firstly they picked Tua over Herbert. If this happened in NY planes would be flown immediately to fire the whole FO. They won a bunch of games with Fitz. But he's gone. 

This year they: Passed on the opportunity to take Pitts at 3. They also could have stayed at 12 and drafted Fields . But I think they got cute in thinking they would get Chase or Pitts and lost both. I love Waddle like the rest of you. But hes 5'9 coming off an injured season. He is not Chase or Pitts. Was he really worth an extra first round pick? What happens if hes more like Ruggs was last year as WR's take time to develop. Then they follow it up with Jaelen Phillips who is a concussion or two from possibly retiring again. Love Jaelen but isn't your whole team injured?

This is after wasting a ton of money on FA's like Van Noy. All those picks from Tunsil are done and theyll be drafting super late next year(Niners pick). Meaning they're not getting a QB next year if Tua fails. I hate to say but when I look at that offense I see injury risk everywhere. Tua, Devante Parker, PED Fuller, Waddle leg surgery, Preston Williams and even Gaskin was injured. How many games/snaps did all these guys play last year?

Anyone else seeing a crash and burn in Miami ? Like fire the FO and start over in a year or two kinda thing? 

I think absent the whole fiasco, Watson was most likely to be traded to the Fins, so that plan blew up in their face. I agree that if the Jets surprise they could end up ahead in the standings over the Fins this year who could end up in last place with all that has been mentioned, unless Tua really comes out on fire.

13 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Man, I think you are so right!!!  If Pitts turns out to be as good as it seems he will be, then Miami screwed up big time. Miami definitely thought that they would get Pitts or Chase, that was why the move back up to #6.  Heck, they could have stayed at #12 and got Slater, or Fields Vera Tucker, but they wanted one of those 2 great players in Pitts or Chase.

I do not believe they will ever win with Tua, and if Tua was the QB on the Jets, I would be saying the same thing.  I'm with you; crash and burn.  

Thank you for posting this.  The Dolphins have been the media darling for months now and I can’t figure out why other than that their coach seems like a good culture builder.  There was not one player on that roster who scared anyone other then Xavier Howard and their three 2020 first round picks fell flat last year.  As for the 2021 draft picks, their two first rounders have significant injury concerns and no one seems to be talking about how they spent TWO first rounder on Waddle, who very well could be Ted Ginn 2.0.  

We’ll see how 2021 plays out, but I think they have big time bust potential.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Then why did he get pulled not once, but twice in Fitz’s favor? 

They judged Fitz the vet better for win now mode when they found themselves in a surprising playoff race. Also rumors Tua was suffering soreness in surgically repaired knee (likely a face saving excuse). I think it was a mistake FYI.

And don’t get it twisted not saying Tua is the second coming only that we would’ve been ecstatic if Darnold ever put up anywhere near the numbers he did last year. Tua is absolutely a better bet than Darnold as a future starter calibre player at this point in their careers. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

They judged Fitz the vet better for win now mode when they found themselves in a surprising playoff race. Also rumors Tua was suffering soreness in surgically repaired knee (likely a face saving excuse). I think it was a mistake FYI.

Tua has a little Pennington in him. Smart and accurate, but I'm not sure about his ability to consistently make plays down the field. Will be very interesting to see him in year 2. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Tua has a little Pennington in him. Smart and accurate, but I'm not sure about his ability to consistently make plays down the field. Will be very interesting to see him in year 2. 

He sure was a dink and dunker last year. Fair and valid comment. Question is were fins limiting the offense or is that just who he is?

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

He sure was a dink and dunker last year. Fair and valid comment. Question is were fins limiting the offense or is that just who he is?

I'm not sure, but I'm definitely glad the Dolphins didn't take Herbert because that would be a problem. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I agree that the Dolphins will be fine.  They are a solid team on both sides of the ball.  But I do think they got a little bit too cute with their pre-draft trades.

I am not a believer in Tua, so I was happy to see them move out of 3 and the possibility of a QB.  And if their goal really is Watson, they should not have given up the extra 2022 first to move from 12 to 6.  Had they stayed at 12, they could have made a deal similar to Philly, give up a 3 to take Devonta Smith.  And still had three 1s to bid for Watson next year.

I was very happy when Pitts came off the board, as I assumed that trade up would net them Pitts.  They are still a very good team and will be dangerous next year, but I think they could have done more without the extra trade up.

Of course they could crash and burn

Frankly, I’m surprised why so many are acting like they’re guaranteed to be set up for sustained success.

Tua is made of glass and didn’t impress me at all as a rookie.

I like Waddle, but there are definitely durability concerns and he’s most likely a strict slot at the next level. And Jaelan Phillips, despite being very talented, already decided to retire from football at 20 years old. He could slip on a wet spot in the kitchen tomorrow and do it again.

Brian Flores is far from the mastermind that so many in the media make him out to be and Chris Grier seems like a guy who is good at accumulating picks but is suspect as hell at using them in the proper manor.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree that the Dolphins will be fine.  They are a solid team on both sides of the ball.  But I do think they got a little bit too cute with their pre-draft trades.

I am not a believer in Tua, so I was happy to see them move out of 3 and the possibility of a QB.  And if their goal really is Watson, they should not have given up the extra 2022 first to move from 12 to 6.  Had they stayed at 12, they could have made a deal similar to Philly, give up a 3 to take Devonta Smith.  And still had three 1s to bid for Watson next year.

I was very happy when Pitts came off the board, as I assumed that trade up would net them Pitts.  They are still a very good team and will be dangerous next year, but I think they could have done more without the extra trade up.

Fair enough.  I too dont believe in Tua but they're just loaded. Straight up.  Talent everywhere. 

The dolphins with the playoffs on the line got absolutely destroyed by the Bills backups. The bills had 56 points in that game. 

The last time I saw a game that lopsided was when the Jets backups creamed the Jets starters in an exhibition match. 

• Upvote 1