Jump to content

Breer On The Wilson Process


Recommended Posts

Quote

This is going to sound bananas, but the Jets’ coaches actually discussed, at that point, how they preferred Wilson to Lawrence as a fit for their offense. Why? Wilson’s tape showed a very clean translation to the Shanahan style of offense. You can see him go through reads—1, 2, 3, out! Lawrence, conversely, played in an offense heavy on RPOs.

Okay this is the biggest revelation of the article. Do the Jets take Wilson over Lawrence if miracle vs Rams and Covid outbreak at Browns doesn't happen?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/03/mmqb-matt-nagy-justin-fields-trey-lance-aaron-rodgers-daily-cover   This was a different type of draft year, and everyone had to get as creative as they cou

You mean to tell me, that Zach Wilson described a Football play and the coverage associated with the call???????????  

how did you go undrafted that year?

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Okay this is the biggest revelation of the article. Do the Jets take Wilson over Lawrence if miracle vs Rams and Covid outbreak at Browns doesn't happen?

Maybe.

Or maybe it's the type of thing that would've been said regardless of who we drafted?

"The Jets coaches discussed their preference for Mac Jones over Trevor Lawrence in this system"

What was never going to be written after last Thursday?

"The Jets felt like they screwed themselves by winning two meaningless game and settled for Doordashin' Timberlake"

All that said. I'm happy we got Wilson.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Larz said:

I stand corrected. Ankle socks is big enough. Didn’t know he has ADHD. My son has it. Anybody that makes fun of this kids socks is getting a power shot from me, got that?!?

I wear ankle socks, but I live in Florida so freeze your arse off in Norway or New York while I sweat in February! I'm kidding Lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nice! I can remember every pre and post game meal I ever had. Delicious, great call! 

No in game hot dogs?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KRL said:

They don’t want to put the weight of the world on his shoulders. In fact, if you watch the phone call the Jets made to Wilson after making it official, it’s right there. “All you gotta do is be yourself, nothing more, nothing less,” Douglas told Wilson, before Saleh got on the phone and added, “The biggest thing I want to tell you, just remember this, this organization is going to lift you, not the other way around.”

The point was emphasized with the Jets, soon thereafter, trading up for guard Alijah Vera-Tucker, then taking receiver Elijah Moore and tailback Michael Carter.

And the concept really does show awareness of where things went wrong with Darnold. The Jets aren’t going to ask the world of Wilson right away (though the plan is to prepare him to start Week 1, as would be the case with anyone on the roster, and the reality is he likely will start). They’ll ask him to be, to steal a phrase from my old NFL Network colleague Bucky Brooks, the trailer and not the truck as a rookie, and allow him to grow from there.

This is what it's all about.  This (finally) shows a sign the organization might get it!  Quite honestly, it's the way the Jets succeeded with an even less talented rookie in Mark Sanchez.  Good line, strong running game, etc. to take pressure off the QB.  The Jets let Sanchez be a passenger on the bus, not the driver in that first year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, derp said:

You are entitled to your opinion but I wholeheartedly disagree that admissions committees can tell the difference. Committed students can do the hundreds of hours to check a box no problem. Means to an end.

We agree that the process is an arbitrary mystery just like the draft 

Alot of times these schools make a decision based on denying their rivals. Want to get into brown? Get into Yale first. They hate each other 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jet Life said:

You’re a clown and by far the worst poster on this website who ruins every thread. Looking forward to your next Justin Fields thread in an hour or so!

You can disagree with anyone, but no personal attacks. No need for that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We agree that the process is an arbitrary mystery just like the draft 

Alot of times these schools make a decision based on denying their rivals. Want to get into brown? Get into Yale first. They hate each other 

I didn't see the earlier part of this conversation but I want to chime in on the college admission process.

It is so damn confusing. My son is going to Virginia Tech school of engineering. But the process is so weird. He got into some of his reach schools. He also didn't get into a school that was a head scratcher. His SAT score was like 300 over their average.

I know this year they are starting to not factor SATs so maybe that was the case. But it really seems like if you don't click the emails they send, and they aren't sure you are super serious -- you hurt your chances of getting in.

The schools that he wanted...I clicked every damn thing they sent. Track me, we are serious lol.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Please stop . If the Jets had drafted Fields you'd be saying the same thing about Wilson.  The reading defense thing on Fields is and always was a sham . 

Please stop?

A sham you say?  So he didnt look to the sidelines, outside of the huddle waiting for the coaches to read the defense and pass the play in based on the D?  Really?  You somehow missed that?  Seriously?  

Youre missing the point, no one is saying he wont be able to do it, just he hastent yet

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

How is THIS not the biggest news here? 😆 

20210503_195350.jpg.ea4e85edd96bb6c2838f55eecc1b54a7.jpg

How are grown men running around in boner pants over a jersey number?

  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Some of these guys are too old to be acting like huge babies who play spiteful because they didn’t get their way. Enjoy handling the conflict of rooting for the Jets & rooting against Zach Wilson at the same time. It won’t work if you’re wondering.

It's sad but true. 

Many here hate the ZW pick.  Will pretend they will root for his success.  If ZW should have an impressive game against a good team and pull off an upset win.  It will eat them up inside...having to pretend to be as excited as most hear will be.  For Wilson's promising performance. 

They would never admit the truth.  For them...Zach Wilson is dead to them.

Human beings...can be jealous...spiteful...cruel...mean spirited...hateful.   But...oh no...not here.  Not on a internet message board where you're invisible..  50+ years of Jets not getting back to a Supe. Doesn't lead some here to degenerate into jaded twisted emotions like that?  Really?  Only in the real world do such feelings exist.  Which unfortunately are inflicted on others.   But not here in the fantasy world of JetsLand.  It's all good here.  

To be a fan is almost by definition to be a fool.  And it all starts when we're kids.  Showing excitement and enthusiasm for your favorite team.  Then... by default...you can feel anger and humiliation for rooting for a bunch of clueless losers.   You wish you can move on and find another team to root for.  But you're stuck...Bleeding Green if its the NYJ ya luv. 

You know what's happening right now?  A nervousness that something good is starting to take hold here for the NYJ.  But us Jets fans have been snake bitten before.  So it's better to hold back.  And get snippy at those that don't hold back.  At those getting excited that Jets fortunes may be on the rise...for real.  

I'm a Jets fan...a fool for Bleeding Green.  I'm letting it all play out.  Am enjoying the ride.  You should too.       

When's the last time someone here at JN wrote...

J...E...T...S   JETS!...JETS!!...JETS!!!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Please stop?

A sham you say?  So he didnt look to the sidelines, outside of the huddle waiting for the coaches to read the defense and pass the play in based on the D?  Really?  You somehow missed that?  Seriously?  

Youre missing the point, no one is saying he wont be able to do it, just he hastent yet

Why do you want to continue to debate Fields vs Wilson. Wilson is the Jets qb now and I'll stand behind him 100% . Just drop the nonsense that's being propagated about Fields it does nothing .

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

When's the last time someone here at JN wrote...

J...E...T...S   JETS!...JETS!!...JETS!!!

Are we counting misspellings?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Many here hate the ZW pick.

Personally, I'm just skeptical of it. 

I don't love it or hate it. I just don't see it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to root for the Jets. Also doesn't impact the team at all if I make sarcastic jokes about the guy looking like an overwhelmed child on the internet. 

Let people use the site how they want. People need to remember that not agreeing is not a personal attack or attack on one's freedoms. I wish people would stop applying the absolutism of the past couple years to everything.

I root for the laundry.

Zach Wilson's mommy still does his laundry.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh, so I actually, didnt miss the point of the exercise! Sweet!
Bunghole still hurts from draft day huh ??

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
You can disagree with anyone, but no personal attacks. No need for that.
What you got against clowns Max??? Om reporting this post!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why do you want to continue to debate Fields vs Wilson. Wilson is the Jets qb now and I'll stand behind him 100% . Just drop the nonsense that's being propagated about Fields it does nothing .

Why are you bitching to me, I didnt start any of this.

Have no F'n idea what nonsense youre reading.  I was resounding to someone who has what 50 anti Wilson posts in a thread where Wilson is being discussed and me saying Fields got all his plays from the sidelines, a fact, pissed you off?   Because thats exactly how plays were called at OSU.  

Okay

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Please stop . If the Jets had drafted Fields you'd be saying the same thing about Wilson.  The reading defense thing on Fields is and always was a sham . 
Nah bra .. it's really not . Dude held the ball longer than anyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why do you want to continue to debate Fields vs Wilson. Wilson is the Jets qb now and I'll stand behind him 100% . Just drop the nonsense that's being propagated about Fields it does nothing.

Most people have moved on.  Weeks ago actually, when it became pretty crystal clear who we were drafting to anyone that wasn’t trying to convince themselves otherwise because they didn’t like the toy they were getting for Christmas.  However, a pretty vocal minority have not.  The person you’re complaining about is not one of them.  Also, nothing he said was untrue.  Ohio State’s system is as simple as it gets for QBs.  That’s not really debatable.  It doesn’t mean Fields can’t do more advanced things, but the concern that he hasn’t done yet is a legitimate one.  I say that as someone who genuinely likes the kid.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Personally, I'm just skeptical of it. 

I don't love it or hate it. I just don't see it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to root for the Jets. Also doesn't impact the team at all if I make sarcastic jokes about the guy looking like an overwhelmed child on the internet. 

Let people use the site how they want. People need to remember that not agreeing is not a personal attack or attack on one's freedoms. I wish people would stop applying the absolutism of the past couple years to everything.

I root for the laundry.

Zach Wilson's mommy still does his laundry.

Have I denied anyone the privilege of posting here?   Did I make some criticisms?  Yes.  So what!  Apparently I hit a nerve or two.  Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't like troll posters and don't usually bother engaging them.  And when they take over threads...yea...I dislike it.     

People come to message boards from all walks of life.  The good-bad and the ugly...as in ugly at heart...unpleasant to the core.  Just like all types exist in real life...they also exist here.         

Yea...post what you want.   And I'm fine with the Mods deciding if something gets out of hand.   And if so...they can handle it if they so choose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why are you bitching to me, I didnt start any of this.

Have no F'n idea what nonsense youre reading.  I was resounding to someone who has what 50 anti Wilson posts in a thread where Wilson is being discussed and me saying Fields got all his plays from the sidelines, a fact, pissed you off?  

Okay

 

 

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why are you bitching to me, I didnt start any of this.

Have no F'n idea what nonsense youre reading.  I was resounding to someone who has what 50 anti Wilson posts in a thread where Wilson is being discussed and me saying Fields got all his plays from the sidelines, a fact, pissed you off?  

Okay

 

You didn't start any of it but just want to keep it going by spouting the same nonsense that's been reported about Fields since Wilson was mentioned as a potential pick for the Jets . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

 

You didn't start any of it but just want to keep it going by spouting the same nonsense that's been reported about Fields since Wilson was mentioned as a potential pick for the Jets . 

Sorry I reported a fact.  Wasnt spouting, was being factual about the way each played.  Its not nonsense, not close to being nonsense.  

I started off wanting Fields, then was fine with both though I prefered Wilson.  I've been clear of this.  No one comes out of college perfect.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

have a drink and chill out:

 

I’ll reply here, without using certain keywords. Wilson said something in his interview with Kay the other day that was interesting. Kay asked him why he was still battling for the starting job all the way up to last year, and Wilson gave a good, strong answer in which he said that one of the root causes for having to compete for the job was that he needed to learn how to be “a better leader and teammate.” We know he wasn’t voted a Captain of his college team. @football guy forwarded a report he heard that part of the reason for that was Wilson’s political views. I’m not saying that the Jets will shun Wilson because of those views, but it definitely seems as though Wilson either has some maturity issues or he has some other challenges with his personality that alienates teammates. Combine all this with Wilson coming from Utah to NYC, that he looks like a pre-teen, that Darnold appears to have been fairly popular in that locker room, and the fact that he’s a relative unknown on the East Coast, and Wilson really has a few hills to climb before he’s accepted as a leader by his teammates. He can elide a lot of this by simply playing really well really soon. That’s all. If you want to say that leadership is overrated and Zach Wilson will surely be loved and respected instantly and unconditionally in NY, I’d say that’s really optimistic of you. To Zach’s credit, he also told Kay that he understands the challenges that lay ahead of him in terms of asserting himself as a leader and he’s aware that he has to come in and earn that respect.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Nah bra .. it's really not . Dude held the ball longer than anyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

In an offense that was built on downfield passing - what a revelation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll reply here, without using certain keywords. Wilson said something in his interview with Kay the other day that was interesting. Kay asked him why he was still battling for the starting job all the way up to last year, and Wilson gave a good, strong answer in which he said that one of the root causes for having to compete for the job was that he needed to learn how to be “a better leader and teammate.” We know he wasn’t voted a Captain of his college team. @football guy forwarded a report he heard that part of the reason for that was Wilson’s political views. I’m not saying that the Jets will shun Wilson because of those views, but it definitely seems as though Wilson either has some maturity issues or he has some other challenges with his personality that alienates teammates that he needs to work on. Combine all this with Wilson coming from Utah to NYC, that he looks like a pre-teen, that Darnold appears to have been fairly popular in that locker room, and the fact that he’s a relative unknown on the East Coast, and Wilson really has a few hills to climb before he’s accepted as a leader by his teammates. He can elide a lot of this by simply playing really well really soon. That’s all. If you want to say that leadership is overrated and Zach Wilson will surely be loved and respected instantly and unconditionally in NY, I’d say that’s really optimistic of you. 

Players could care less that the last guy was a nice guy.  They care about who they believe who is the best option to take them to and through the playoffs.  If Wilson plays well in camp, preseason etc, Darnold will be long forgotten.  Theres little chance Sams teammates didnt understand that Sam probably wasnt the guy to get them where they wanted to get to.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sorry I reported a fact.  Wasnt spouting, was being factual about the way each played.  Its not nonsense, not close to being nonsense.  

I started off wanting Fields, then was fine with both though I prefered Wilson.  I've been clear of this.  No one comes out of college perfect.  

Look I get it Wilson is the qb ,the Jets coaching staff felt he was the best fit for the system they will run.  For me that's enough and I'll support him with the same fervor I would have, had Fields been the pick. 

I don't need analysts or random fans telling me why Wilson was the better pick because imo the only voices that matter were in the draft room at Florham Park. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jet Nut said:

Players could care less that the last guy was a nice guy.  They care about who they believe who is the best option to take them to and through the playoffs.  If Wilson plays well in camp, preseason etc, Darnold will be long forgotten.  Theres little chance Sams teammates didnt understand that Sam probably wasnt the guy to get them where they wanted to get to.  

I think the key here, as you and I are both saying, is that Wilson playing well right away will obviously be a cure-all. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JiFapono said:

GROUP HUG???????????  

COME ON GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS SQUEEZE EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKE OUT THE AGRESSION!!!!  YOU HATE ME!!!!!!   I KNOW IT!!!!!   SQUEEZE MY GUTS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0:34

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T0mShane said:

I think the key here, as you and I are both saying, is that Wilson playing well right away will obviously be a cure-all. 

Totally agree.  

He gets out of the gate playing well or impressing people and most of this all go awayI

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Have I denied anyone the privilege of posting here?   Did I make some criticisms?  Yes.  So what!  Apparently I hit a nerve or two.  Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't like troll posters and don't usually bother engaging them.  And when they take over threads...yea...I dislike it.     

People come to message boards from all walks of life.  The good-bad and the ugly...as in ugly at heart...unpleasant to the core.  Just like all types exist in real life...they also exist here.         

Yea...post what you want.   And I'm fine with the Mods deciding if something gets out of hand.   And if so...they can handle it if they so choose. 

Yea, you hit a nerve. 

Or, I’m lumping you in with the variety of people here that call create irony sandwiches about being entitled to opinions.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...