Jump to content

Breer On The Wilson Process


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Difficult to express the extent to which we are doomed, but this is a good snapshot.

^ Said every first date of your life fool

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/03/mmqb-matt-nagy-justin-fields-trey-lance-aaron-rodgers-daily-cover   This was a different type of draft year, and everyone had to get as creative as they cou

You mean to tell me, that Zach Wilson described a Football play and the coverage associated with the call???????????  

how did you go undrafted that year?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, you hit a nerve. 

Or, I’m lumping you in with the variety of people here that call create irony sandwiches about being entitled to opinions.

 

Accdak: Satan Sandwich Diagram

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Totally agree.  

He gets out of the gate playing well or impressing people and most of this all go awayI

I’m just curious to see what happens if—as is likely—the Jets start Wilson on Day One, the team is <6-10, and Wilson looks like a standard-issue rookie. There’s going to be a sh*t ton of pressure on him that he’s never come close to experiencing before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just curious to see what happens if—as is likely—the Jets start Wilson on Day One, the team is <6-10, and Wilson looks like a standard-issue rookie. There’s going to be a sh*t ton of pressure on him that he’s never come close to experiencing before.

7-10?

If hes not the sole reason theyre record is less than 7-10, as a rookie, no one is going to kill him.  Especially if he is playing passable or better.  Dont think anyone is going to hold him to less than play-off like W/L record

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think I get which post you’re primarily responding too here so I gotcha.

Regarding the captain thing: Steve Young, Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, his head coach, OC, and Connor Hughes spoke about this on multiple and respective podcasts.  They all said the same thing (I’ve heard this same story as well through some people).  He was, in fact, considered a “captain” via the leadership council that BYU has within their team.  The guys actually given the Cs on offense in the beginning of the season were all guys who had completed their missionaries, something, obviously, very big and important at BYU.  After injury took one of them out, he was given the C, but he was already considered by many to be THE captain of that offense, especially entering his junior year, something reinforced by his HC and OC (Zach wanted to really step up in the vocal aspect of being a leader and really embraced that role last year).  I can’t speak on the political views playing a part because I never heard that before FG posted it, but I can tell you that beliefs matching his were held by many at that school and on that team, so I have some real doubts about it being the reason.

As for all the other reasons?  At the end of the day, there isn’t a single rookie that hasn’t had to “earn his stripes”.  His play will speak a lot louder than his words.  A lot of misinformation is purposely put out there around draft time to get guys to fall to certain teams that want them, and that’s why you saw so many teammates and coaches come out and dispute Cimini or WalterFootball when they questioned his captaincy and personality.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that leadership is overrated at all.  I’m just saying that a lot of it was over blown because certain teams (*cough* San Francisco and Philly *cough*) wanted him and threw some “concerns” out there in order to try and make it happen.  Same thing happened with Fields when the “last one in, first one out” story broke.

RE: the captaincy thing, Wilson also confirmed it in the Kay interview—that he wasn’t voted a captain—and attributed it to his not being locked in as the starter at the time of the vote.

Here’s the interview. 14:40-15:10

https://www.espn.com/radio/play/_/id/31366811

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

RE: the captaincy thing, Wilson also confirmed it in the Kay interview—that he wasn’t voted a captain—and attributed it to his not being locked in as the starter at the time of the vote.

Here’s the interview. 14:40-15:10

https://www.espn.com/radio/play/_/id/31366811

Appreciate the link, I’ll give it a listen.  Ultimately, I don’t have any worries that he will step into the role just fine, especially after things I’ve heard, but I think we both agree and are on the same page when we say that this isn’t college.  He’s gotta earn that patch, not just with his words but with his play.  Guys who play like, say, Trubisky get tuned out, regardless of their draft status

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Appreciate the link, I’ll give it a listen.  Ultimately, I don’t have any worries that he will step into the role just fine, especially after things I’ve heard, but I think we both agree and are on the same page when we say that this isn’t college.  He’s gotta earn that patch, not just with his words but with his play.  Guys who play like, say, Trubisky get tuned out, regardless of their draft status

Exactly, and that’s why I wrote earlier that he needs to play well, early. I think there are some red flags about him from a personality standpoint and those will be revealed and/or exacerbated if he struggles. It’s hard enough to become a functional QB in this league; it’d be impossible to do it so without the explicit backing of the locker room. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly, and that’s why I wrote earlier that he needs to play well, early. I think there are some red flags about him from a personality standpoint and those will be revealed and/or exacerbated if he struggles. It’s hard enough to become a functional QB in this league; it’d be impossible to do it so without the explicit backing of the locker room. 

Define those "red flags from a personality standpoint", please.

 

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Define those "red flags from a personality standpoint", please.

 

Thank you.

The kid says himself that he almost lost the starting job because he had to become a better teammate and leader. Check out the Kay interview I posted above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly, and that’s why I wrote earlier that he needs to play well, early. I think there are some red flags about him from a personality standpoint and those will be revealed and/or exacerbated if he struggles. It’s hard enough to become a functional QB in this league; it’d be impossible to do it so without the explicit backing of the locker room. 

Totally agree, for the most part.  The only concern that I have about his personality (and it’s not a super large one) is I want to see what he’s going to do when he faces that, inevitable, adversity.  I’ve heard nothing but great and reassuring things from people involved about his character and work ethic.  However, like I said, the NFL will chew you up and spit you out if you’re not able to handle the transition to the pro game from a mental and emotional standpoint.  Darnold was a great guy and liked as well.  That being said, you had guys like Robby Anderson retweeting videos of him missing him on deep balls in his free agency off-season.  You can be liked but not believed in if you show that you can’t get the job done.  Especially if you meltdown, whether it be emotionally or perfomance wise (2020 Darnold), when things go south.  He took the jump in his junior year and his teammates responded accordingly.  Now he needs to do it on the big stage to impress guys who are doing this for a livelihood.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The kid says himself that he almost lost the starting job because he had to become a better teammate and leader. Check out the Kay interview I posted above.

Being accountable and self-aware is now bad??

 

lol

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Totally agree, for the most part.  The only concern that I have about his personality (and it’s not a super large one) is I want to see what he’s going to do when he faces that, inevitable, adversity.  I’ve heard nothing but great and reassuring things from people involved about his character and work ethic.  However, like I said, the NFL will chew you up and spit you out if you’re not able to handle the transition to the pro game from a mental and emotional standpoint.  Darnold was a great guy and liked as well.  That being said, you had guys like Robby Anderson retweeting videos of him missing him on deep balls in his free agency off-season.  You can be liked but not believed in if you show that you can’t get the job done.  Especially if you meltdown, whether it be emotionally or perfomance wise (2020 Darnold), when things go south.  He took the jump in his junior year and his teammates responded accordingly.  Now he needs to do it on the big stage to impress guys who are doing this for a livelihood.

Agreed. My hesitancy with him is that the gulf for him to succeed here vs what he did in Provo is 400 miles wide and it’d take a mutant freak sociopath to overcome the adversity he’ll face here if he sucks, and he appears to be a nice young man from a stable home who hasn’t faced a lot of adversity or pressure. I just think the learning curve is very, very steep, and he’s going to need a steel spine to handle it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll reply here, without using certain keywords. Wilson said something in his interview with Kay the other day that was interesting. Kay asked him why he was still battling for the starting job all the way up to last year, and Wilson gave a good, strong answer in which he said that one of the root causes for having to compete for the job was that he needed to learn how to be “a better leader and teammate.” We know he wasn’t voted a Captain of his college team. @football guy forwarded a report he heard that part of the reason for that was Wilson’s political views. I’m not saying that the Jets will shun Wilson because of those views, but it definitely seems as though Wilson either has some maturity issues or he has some other challenges with his personality that alienates teammates. Combine all this with Wilson coming from Utah to NYC, that he looks like a pre-teen, that Darnold appears to have been fairly popular in that locker room, and the fact that he’s a relative unknown on the East Coast, and Wilson really has a few hills to climb before he’s accepted as a leader by his teammates. He can elide a lot of this by simply playing really well really soon. That’s all. If you want to say that leadership is overrated and Zach Wilson will surely be loved and respected instantly and unconditionally in NY, I’d say that’s really optimistic of you. To Zach’s credit, he also told Kay that he understands the challenges that lay ahead of him in terms of asserting himself as a leader and he’s aware that he has to come in and earn that respect.

This is a good post and it is interesting that he is replacing Darnold. As a person nobody had a bad thing to say about Sam ever. Committed to the sport, good teammate, has everyone's back. He really had everything but success here (and support but the reasons why he didn't succeed are a different topic).

So like you said, none of this matters if Zach has success. Hell people want to play with Aaron Rodgers. So hopefully Zach tears it up and makes this all a non issue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maxman said:

He also didn't get into a school that was a head scratcher. His SAT score was like 300 over their average.

I know this year they are starting to not factor SATs so maybe that was the case. But it really seems like if you don't click the emails they send, and they aren't sure you are super serious -- you hurt your chances of getting in.

The schools that he wanted...I clicked every damn thing they sent. Track me, we are serious lol.

It feels anonymous like you're just filling out a form for nowhere. But really the admission people consider these students like how we study the draft picks. They talk about them among each other. 

And, just like how everyone knew TL was going to JAX If word gets around that a particular student is more interested in a different / better school, it's not above the spurned program to issue a rejection first. Knowing that they are a safety becomes a problem. 

Aka You can't fire me, I quit 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It feels anonymous like you're just filling out a form for nowhere. But really the admission people consider these students like how we study the draft picks. They talk about them among each other. 

And, just like how everyone knew TL was going to JAX If word gets around that a particular student is more interested in a different / better school, it's not above the spurned program to issue a rejection first. Knowing that they are a safety becomes a problem. 

Aka You can't fire me, I quit 

So just a heads up to parents out there: Do not listen to this guy and this does not happen. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I didn't see the earlier part of this conversation but I want to chime in on the college admission process.

It is so damn confusing. My son is going to Virginia Tech school of engineering. But the process is so weird. He got into some of his reach schools. He also didn't get into a school that was a head scratcher. His SAT score was like 300 over their average.

I know this year they are starting to not factor SATs so maybe that was the case. But it really seems like if you don't click the emails they send, and they aren't sure you are super serious -- you hurt your chances of getting in.

The schools that he wanted...I clicked every damn thing they sent. Track me, we are serious lol.

It's for sure a weird process and committee decisions are dependent on a plethora of confusing, inconsistent, and sometimes silly criteria; but I can promise you that all college administrations are not caught up in a vast, tangled, interactive nexus where everyone is constantly violating FERPA throughout the day. 

Congrats on Va Tech. That's a wonderful achievement. While he's there tell him to take a course with Edward Weisband in the Poli Sci dept at some point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
In an offense that was built on downfield passing - what a revelation. 
Cause there were no other offenses like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
This is a good post and it is interesting that he is replacing Darnold. As a person nobody had a bad thing to say about Sam ever. Committed to the sport, good teammate, has everyone's back. He really had everything but success here (and support but the reasons why he didn't succeed are a different topic).
So like you said, none of this matters if Zach has success. Hell people want to play with Aaron Rodgers. So hopefully Zach tears it up and makes this all a non issue.
This ... greatest leaders all have a couple things in common. Success and Command. Wilson lights it up, matures a bit over the next couple years ... this is a absolute non issue. If he inspires the team with his play and is not complete ass .... we are golden.

Let someone else in the locker room be the touchy feely shoulder to cry on, or guy to voice the teammates opinion on the Gatorade flavor not being what the team prefers.



Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
I think the key here, as you and I are both saying, is that Wilson playing well right away will obviously be a cure-all. 
I think expecting peyton manning circa year 2 is asking to much .... as long as Wilson looks the part consistantly we will know we are the path to success. The jets have not had consistency at the QB spot since OB.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think expecting peyton manning circa year 2 is asking to much .... as long as Wilson looks the part consistantly we will know we are the path to success. The jets have not had consistency at the QB spot since OB.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

The QB that never won a playoff game??:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaron Rodgers is despised by his own family ffs. A lot of what makes these guys so good is what also makes them unlikeable. See Michael Jordan...

If Wilson can play he will be fine even if he's the biggest POS in the locker room. If he can't, he wont. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The QB that never won a playoff game??:rolleyes:
Agreed ... mostly not his fault ... but he was consistent at putting up gaudy numbers ...his problem is that his feet were encased in cement

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed ... mostly not his fault ... but he was consistent at putting up gaudy numbers ...his problem is that his feet were encased in cement emoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

True pigeons sat on him thinking he was a statue yet Pat Ryan did win a playoff game and gaudy numbers?? He passed for 25 tds twice and that was on a pretty good team on both O and D.. I never understood the love for Kenny O..:blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Personally, I'm just skeptical of it. 

I don't love it or hate it. I just don't see it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to root for the Jets. Also doesn't impact the team at all if I make sarcastic jokes about the guy looking like an overwhelmed child on the internet. 

Let people use the site how they want. People need to remember that not agreeing is not a personal attack or attack on one's freedoms. I wish people would stop applying the absolutism of the past couple years to everything.

I root for the laundry.

Zach Wilson's mommy still does his laundry.

Scalia - attack ideas, not people | Quotes, Notable quotes, Cool words

Link to post
Share on other sites
True pigeons sat on him thinking he was a statue yet Pat Ryan did win a playoff game and gaudy numbers?? He passed for 25 tds twice and that was on a pretty good team on both O and D.. I never understood the love for Kenny O..default_blink.png
Probably games like this ...

https://empirewritesback.com/2017/09/21/new-york-jets-top-miami-dolphins-51-45-1986-week-three-overtime/

Arguably the most exciting game in NFL history.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Okay this is the biggest revelation of the article. Do the Jets take Wilson over Lawrence if miracle vs Rams and Covid outbreak at Browns doesn't happen?

Nah. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

True pigeons sat on him thinking he was a statue yet Pat Ryan did win a playoff game and gaudy numbers?? He passed for 25 tds twice and that was on a pretty good team on both O and D.. I never understood the love for Kenny O..:blink:

Because he played well for a few seasons, threw a great deep pass and took a beating behind a mediocre OL and kept going.

He wasnt Marino and he wasnt fleet of foot but he won his share of games 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The QB that never won a playoff game??:rolleyes:

He played in two playoff games, Two.  Started one and has Gastineau rip a win away from him and another chance at a AFCCG

Stop brining up playoffs its irrelevant when you only get to start one game

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. My hesitancy with him is that the gulf for him to succeed here vs what he did in Provo is 400 miles wide and it’d take a mutant freak sociopath to overcome the adversity he’ll face here if he sucks, and he appears to be a nice young man from a stable home who hasn’t faced a lot of adversity or pressure. I just think the learning curve is very, very steep, and he’s going to need a steel spine to handle it.

You don’t think having a hot mom puts pressure  in a kid? You sir are wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 8:02 AM, JiFapono said:

No.  Not really.   Everyone QB can do this.  Hell, give some highlights of my intramural Flag Football Championship game from 22 years ago and I can tell you the exact play, down and distance and my entire thought process as I willed our team to victory!

Intramural Flag Football game??? Hahahaha, that explains a lot. You're not even a has been, you're a never was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Bunghole still hurts from draft day huh ??

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

^^^^^ top 3 groupie

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Intramural Flag Football game??? Hahahaha, that explains a lot. You're not even a has been, you're a never was.

Bro, we won,  I was MVP.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...