Why exactly did JD Fall in love?

I’m curious. I’m fully supportive of Wilson, moving forward. He’s a Jet now and that’s all that matters but reading draft grades I need reassurance.

Reading Pete Prisco and many others, there seems to be a theme that many feel Fields will turn out to be then second best QB in the draft. I was also high on Fields and skeptical of Wilson due to the cupcake schedule. That said he has amazing arm talent and fits our scheme.

So my question is what exactly did JD fall in love with? Is it just raw talent. JD always struck me as the guy who like the big rough and tumble, play hurt type of QB, not the pretty boy from Draper Utah. Is it scheme? Is it the tape? 

I want nothing more then Wilson to succeed but I’m nervous how this all turns out. Help me out 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m curious. I’m fully supportive of Wilson, moving forward. He’s a Jet now and that’s all that matters but reading draft grades I need reassurance.

Reading Pete Prisco and many others, there seems to be a theme that many feel Fields will turn out to be then second best QB in the draft. I was also high on Fields and skeptical of Wilson due to the cupcake schedule. That said he has amazing arm talent and fits our scheme.

So my question is what exactly did JD fall in love with? Is it just raw talent. JD always struck me as the guy who like the big rough and tumble, play hurt type of QB, not the pretty boy from Draper Utah. Is it scheme? Is it the tape? 

I want nothing more then Wilson to succeed but I’m nervous how this all turns out. Help me out 

Hahahahahaha...

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I think @KRL captured it in his post with this article

Bingo. Read the Breer SI article if you want to know "why".

If you don't care to know why and just want to contend that Fields will be better, that's your right to do so. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If there is one team that does a better job than the Jets of developing QBs, it's the Bears.   Especially with all those 1st round draft picks they've had the last 4 years.

I liked Fields alot. 

However the NFL has told this past weekend that he was the QB4 in this draft and was not drafted in the top 10. That conversation has been put to bed until it gets revisited in few years.  SF, Carolina and Denver literally just passed on him. How does that not mean more then these trash analyst? 

Moving Forward I absolutely hate the position Fields is in. Bad Front office. Bad coaches that just ruined another QB. The Talent is aging there and they are going to need a LT and new WR1 next year. Then hes looking at a new offensive coordinator/HC when those guys get fired in a year or 2. 

I would have loved for Fields to go to Denver or Carolina. He deserved a better situation than Chicago. 

31 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Personally I wanted Fields but there is no denying  the arm talent of Wilson. As you said, he is a Jet and I am fully on board with him as I am with Moore as much as I disliked the pick. What is done is done. Time to get behind these guys and support them as fans, not question them.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I liked Fields alot. 

However the NFL has told this past weekend that he was the QB4 in this draft and was not drafted in the top 10. That conversation has been put to bed until it gets revisited in few years.  SF, Carolina and Denver literally just passed on him. How does that not mean more then these trash analyst? 

Moving Forward I absolutely hate the position Fields is in. Bad Front office. Bad coaches that just ruined another QB. The Talent is aging there and they are going to need a LT and new WR1 next year. Then hes looking at a new offensive coordinator/HC when those guys get fired in a year or 2. 

I would have loved for Fields to go to Denver or Carolina. He deserved a better situation than Chicago. 

Lamar Jackson went 32 

Teams passing on a guy does not prove anything 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

The 9ers screwed up taking Lance at 3. That whole pick was a disaster start to finish. 

Very possibly.  But Josh Allen has pretty much given them a three year probationary period on that pick.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

No offense but I stopped reading here

22 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The skills Wilson showed during the 2020 college season translate very well to the NFL.  When you study the tape, it is littered with tight window throws, aggressive decisions while still taking care of the football, going through progressions, good pocket movement, good mobility, looking off defenders, snaps from under center, and a strong arm.  From everything I have read, he lives and breathes football and is dedicated to mastering his craft.  Simply put, he checks alot of boxes.

See, this is where I think people are drinking the Kool Aide. He was throwing against WAC db's. Now he is going to be throwing against guys like Patrick  Peterson.  He is not going to have the same success as college. Yes,  he is a very accurate deep ball thrower and that is going to serve him well but if he keeps Taki g deep shots into tight windows in the NFL, you will see the ball get picked off. Nobody does that consistently,  not even Roger's. I hope guys get separation  and he gets a good amount of easy throws or we might see a pretty high pick rate this season

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

TQYV7TTJWRE7RAJ7HW32EFFYSE.jpg

I'm not in love
So don't forget it
It's just a silly phase I'm going through

And just because
I call you up
Don't get me wrong
Don't think you've got it made
I'm not in love, no no
It's because...
I like to see you
But then again
That doesn't mean you mean that much to me
So if I call you
Don't make a fuss
Don't tell your friends about "the two of us"
I'm not in love, no no
It's because...
I keep your picture
Upon the wall
It hides a nasty stain that's lying there
So don't you ask me
To give it back
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me
I'm not in love, no no
It's because...
Ooh, you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh, you'll wait a long time
Ooh, you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh, you'll wait a long time
I'm not in love
So don't forget it
It's just a silly phase I'm going through
And just because I call you up
Don't get me wrong
Don't think you've got it made
I'm not in love
I'm not in love

HSMLON34PNAMBE4QGZRQSGHVP4.jpg

Big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry

OK, that was fun, my dog has to pee. Later.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, JetsFanInPA said:

Pete Prisco is wrong all the time so if he says something believe the opposite.   I stopped reading him years ago.

Priscilla may have once been a Jets fan but no longer. Always craps on us. Not fair or balanced regarding Jets football

31 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The 9ers screwed up taking Lance at 3. That whole pick was a disaster start to finish. 

I don't like the pick at 3.  The reality is that still doesn't justify Fields at 2 or 3 or Mac Jones going 15.  

What were starting to see is position value pushing QB's up draft boards not down.  There's a lot of arguments that Pitts was the best player period in this draft.   There's also an argument that with 5 year slotting paying a TE top 5 money over a QB that you think can make it is insane.  No question that Lawrence was the top pick based on his positional value.  I still doubt Lawrence was rated a better prospect than Pitts.  Zach Wilson is probably a top 4 prospect and went 2 because of positional value.   

Fields and Mac Jones may end up being better than Lawrence or Wilson.  Davis Mills or Mond may be the two best QB's in this class.   There is clearly consensus by NFL GM's that even with an overweight draft bias in taking QB's because of positional value, both Fields and Mac Jones aren't top 10 picks.   

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lamar Jackson went 32 

It doesn't prove they can't make it or won't be great.  It does prove that their is a consensus by NFL GM's that they aren't as good a prospect as other guys.

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lamar Jackson went 32 

As mentioned in the post you responded to is:  at the time of the draft Justin Field was the QB4 on NFL front offices boards and was passed on by several teams that needed a QB. 

It does not mean he won't succeed by any means whatsoever(I hope he blows up). But damn did he land in the worst spot for a QB. Absolutely horrible location for him.