Hayden Hurst available for trade?

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:
4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Come on JD... put your big toe in the water here.  Worth a 6th, maybe a 5th.

Wouldn’t Falcons just keep him over only getting a 5th? Makes no sense to trade for so little when you can get solid production for an entire season & then a 4th rd. Comp pick?

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Falcons are going to be $6M over the cap once they sign up a full roster.  If they trade Hurst, they will save his full salary $2M as opposed to if they release him (save only $600k).  So I think there is a lot of incentive for them to trade him.

Good info on their cap standing. Didn’t realize how tight they are. Ok, you changed my opinion. Thanks.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Come on JD... put your big toe in the water here.  Worth a 6th, maybe a 5th.

I don't see what's in it for Atlanta to let him go for so little. They just traded a 2nd rounder for him in March. 

What's really bizarre in Atlanta's case is that Hurst's option year would've been just $5.4MM (which they're apparently not exercising, though the deadline is today). If anything I'd think it would make Hurst's trade value higher if he's locked in at that in 2022 after less than half that in 2021. And what'd be the worst-case downside for them -- no one making a good enough trade offer, and having Hurst count $2MM and $5MM the upcoming 2 seasons?

Keep in mind they can't get a comp pick for him after the team turns down a team-option year. The league correctly did away with that ridiculous loophole. **Edit: Yes they can; I forgot they only did away with it on veteran contracts the team negotiated. 5th year options are baked into the cake for every 1st round pick so they could still recoup a comp pick if they let him play out this year.

Anyway, I legitimately don't understand what they're doing here. 

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Falcons are going to be $6M over the cap once they sign up a full roster.  If they trade Hurst, they will save his full salary $2M as opposed to if they release him (save only $600k).  So I think there is a lot of incentive for them to trade him.

No doubt, but that small amount of money can always be cleared by shuffling other things around to restructure players who will 100% be on the team next year. Of course, Ryan and Matthews won't be ones providing that temporary cap relief since they've already tapped those wells.

Plus it doesn't really save even that much, since they'd then sign another TE to replace him (even if it was only an UDFA at the league minimum). The $2MM base salary is such a small amount to get around that this is just for recouping draft pick reasons, not salary cap. 

Didn't realize until just now that Ryan's cap numbers in '22 and '23 are $48.6MM and $43.6MM, respectively, at ages 37-38. And $40.5MM of it's already been paid so that must come off their cap even if he's cut/traded. Wowz.

11 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Isnt Hurst like 30 and needs a new contract?

He's 27. Turns 28 in August. Turning 30 is still years away and it's not like he's a RB or CB.

Also they're apparently turning down a dirt-cheap option year for next year, but I'd think any team that trades for him they could still exercise it by 4pm today. 

• Upvote 1

well the jets front office has guys from baltimore, who probably scouted hurst.  of course, baltimore also traded away hurst.  but at the least, they would have some insight into him.

for a late round 2022 pick, i'm all in favor of trading for him.  he's solid, but didn't really step up in atlanta like many expected (including me who took him in FF - my mid-season trade for waller helped me make the finals)

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

well the jets front office has guys from baltimore, who probably scouted hurst.  of course, baltimore also traded away hurst.  but at the least, they would have some insight into him.

for a late round 2022 pick, i'm all in favor of trading for him.  he's solid, but didn't really step up in atlanta like many expected (including me who took him in FF - my mid-season trade for waller helped me make the finals)

They traded him away because they already had Mark Andrews. He would be an immediate upgrade at TE for us. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They traded him away because they already had Mark Andrews. He would be an immediate upgrade at TE for us. 

hurst and andrews were drafted in the same year (hurst R1, andrews R3).  2 years later, the ravens traded him away (got a good return, so can't blame them).

a year after acquiring hurst, the falcons drafted pitts; granted an elite TE prospect.  now they are looking to move on from hurst.

so while it's no shame to not be considered as good as andrews or pitts, it is interesting to note 2 teams using valuable draft capital on hurst, only to move from him within 2 years.

now he's better than what the jets have in house, so i'm not opposed to getting him for what i assume is a cheap cost.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

hurst and andrews were drafted in the same year (hurst R1, andrews R3).  2 years later, the ravens traded him away (got a good return, so can't blame them).

a year after acquiring hurst, the falcons drafted pitts; granted an elite TE prospect.  now they are looking to move on from hurst.

so while it's no shame to not be considered as good as andrews or pitts, it is interesting to note 2 teams using valuable draft capital on hurst, only to move from him within 2 years.

now he's better than what the jets have in house, so i'm not opposed to getting him for what i assume is a cheap cost.

He is what he is. Obviously if you have an elite TE in Andrews or have the chance to draft Pitts, you quickly move on from Hurst. But he has only been in the league 3 years and last year was able to go 56-571-6 which won't get you into any pro bowls, is really solid for a TE and a big upgrade for the Jets. 

The bigger issue is that next years draft is going to be loaded so giving away a draft pick for a good TE may not be a smart move. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Pitts and Cap space, sure.  Although most teams would like more than one good TE if they can, but maybe ATL just can't afford it?

They can easily afford him. It's them trying to recoup whatever draft pick they can since they don't need him anymore. 

They're going to cut his $2MM salary this year but then they'll take 1/3 of that to give it to whatever TE3 they keep instead?

I think he's just the obvious one to trade because he's got trade value. They traded with Buffalo for Lee Smith and then renegotiated his contract to fully guarantee him $1.8MM in his age 33-34 season. So there's that, but Smith's purely a blocking TE like a 6th lineman more than a TE, so his position title is purely nominal. He gets maybe 2 targets a month.

Maybe the numbers game is just the roster spot, as they figure they're not going to dress 3 TEs every week. In that case, they may as well get what they can while they can. Plus his low salary for this year, and his low salary on the 5th year option, makes him attractive. Or it should, anyway.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bigger holes to fill IMO and a little early to “jump the shark”

Uh what?  TE is absolutely a hole.  What are the other bigger holes at the moment, and who is going to fill those?  And does adding Hurst preclude us from filling them?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wouldn’t Falcons just keep him over only getting a 5th? Makes no sense to trade for so little when you can get solid production for an entire season & then a 4th rd. Comp pick?

The exact same reasons why ATL should NOT be trading him are good enough reasons to explore adding him.

It also doesn't hurt that Baltimore, obviously a former employer of Douglas, originally drafted him high and then traded him for a solid package only because they already believed they were loaded at TE:

The Ravens traded tight end Hayden Hurst and a 2020 fourth-round NFL draft pick to the Atlanta Falcons on Monday, acquiring a second- and fifth-round pick in exchange for their top selection from a foundational 2018 class.

Douglas is big on comp picks too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Uh what?  TE is absolutely a hole.  What are the other bigger holes at the moment, and who is going to fill those?  And does adding Hurst preclude us from filling them?

WADR Edge &CB will tie up money at positions of greater value. TE needs an upgrade, but the other 2 more important