Jump to content

Hayden Hurst available for trade?


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Deal Crowder for him? Or would that create further cap problems for Atlanta.

Maybe.  I'm not sure the cap ramifications for Atlanta, but I do know we'd save $10.4M in the deal.  I think trading Hurst for a pick is the only move that makes sense for both teams.

Atlanta still has to figure out what to do with Julio Jones.  Adding a slot receiver, albeit a quality one, doesn't move the needle much for them.

Personally, I think we ought to restructure or extend Crowder if we need those cap dollars (which we don't, at the moment).  Trading Crowder for small draft assets doesn't do much for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Raising this from the dead because....we still need a starting TE very badly and Hurst is pretty good.  

As I understand it, ATL's scheme calls for two TEs, but one of them is a blocker.  Pitts is going to be the money guy, leaving Hurst a bit on the outside, looking in.  They trade a 2nd rounder for him last year.  They didn't sign the 5th year extension so he'd probably net them a 5th, or maybe 4th rounder if he leaves after this season (they are in cap hell and won't keep him).  We could offer a 3rd rounder.  Other possibilities are some DT depth, which ATL needs and we have to partially offset the trade cost.

He's not a top-5 guy, but he's very likely a top-20 guy and we don't have one of those.

I would not hate seeing him come in on a reasonable trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Old man will be 28 in a week

 

from NFL draft profile-

 

Weaknesses
  • Will be a 25-year-old rookie when next season starts
  • Appears to be giving route clues to defenders at times
  • Doesn't manipulate defender often enough from breaks and stems
  • Out-breaking routes have been getting jumped for two consecutive seasons
  • Had safeties run his routes on various occasions
  • Will need work as in-line blocker
  • Hands fly out wide into first contact
  • Can improve his play strength at point of attack if he gets his hand placement right
  • Ducks head into contact
  • Won't always look to improve positioning with quality footwork after contact

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Was a total disappointment in Baltimore and Atlanta.  We r taking a stud te in the 1st round next year.  Joe D will not be trading anything for Hurst.

This is probably right.  Doesn't smell like the kind of trade Douglas does.

I'm fully expecting a waiver wire pick up after final cuts, we'll get someone from another team.  The challenge is that not a lot of TEs came into the league this year it seems.  There might only be 3-4 TEs who are contributing immediately and that might cause teams to keep some guys they'd otherwise try to push out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Raising this from the dead because....we still need a starting TE very badly and Hurst is pretty good.  

As I understand it, ATL's scheme calls for two TEs, but one of them is a blocker.  Pitts is going to be the money guy, leaving Hurst a bit on the outside, looking in.  They trade a 2nd rounder for him last year.  They didn't sign the 5th year extension so he'd probably net them a 5th, or maybe 4th rounder if he leaves after this season (they are in cap hell and won't keep him).  We could offer a 3rd rounder.  Other possibilities are some DT depth, which ATL needs and we have to partially offset the trade cost.

He's not a top-5 guy, but he's very likely a top-20 guy and we don't have one of those.

I would not hate seeing him come in on a reasonable trade.

And if he’s traded and then still reaches FA that same comp pick due to Atlanta would instead be due to the team that trades for him. He could be a very cheap one year rental with an option to buy.

It’d have to be a cheap extension to keep beyond that. Because the Jets have so many draft picks I don’t see Douglas locking into someone like Hearst unless it was a major bargain, and probably at least one team will be willing to ante more than the Jets this upcoming March. 

I think his low ‘21 salary raised Atlanta’s price tag, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure why anyone would want Perine though.  

Because the Atlanta GM wakes up in the morning and thinks ..” how can I make the Jets better today ?” Didn’t you know that ? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

Raising this from the dead because....we still need a starting TE very badly and Hurst is pretty good.  

As I understand it, ATL's scheme calls for two TEs, but one of them is a blocker.  Pitts is going to be the money guy, leaving Hurst a bit on the outside, looking in.  They trade a 2nd rounder for him last year.  They didn't sign the 5th year extension so he'd probably net them a 5th, or maybe 4th rounder if he leaves after this season (they are in cap hell and won't keep him).  We could offer a 3rd rounder.  Other possibilities are some DT depth, which ATL needs and we have to partially offset the trade cost.

He's not a top-5 guy, but he's very likely a top-20 guy and we don't have one of those.

I would not hate seeing him come in on a reasonable trade.

Hurst for Sheppard and a 6. Who says no?

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And if he’s traded and then still reaches FA that same comp pick due to Atlanta would instead be due to the team that trades for him. He could be a very cheap one year rental with an option to buy.

It’d have to be a cheap extension to keep beyond that. Because the Jets have so many draft picks I don’t see Douglas locking into someone like Hearst unless it was a major bargain, and probably at least one team will be willing to ante more than the Jets this upcoming March. 

I think his low ‘21 salary raised Atlanta’s price tag, though. 

All true.  He's not the long term answer but I think he's better than anyone we have on our roster, which makes him worthwhile even if it's for a 1-year rental.  Not sure if we will be getting comp picks next year or not (but I think we might be for the first time in a while) so that would be a plus but just having a guy here with good hands who can be reliable for Wilson sounds worth a mid-round pick.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

All true.  He's not the long term answer but I think he's better than anyone we have on our roster, which makes him worthwhile even if it's for a 1-year rental.  Not sure if we will be getting comp picks next year or not (but I think we might be for the first time in a while) so that would be a plus but just having a guy here with good hands who can be reliable for Wilson sounds worth a mid-round pick.

I think it's pretty likely we'll earn comp picks for 2023. Even without Hurst, there are probably over a dozen guys with expiring contracts who'll qualify with more than veteran minimum offers from someone: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/new-york-jets/

Depends what Atlanta wants. Or maybe they're content keeping him for another year unless they get like a 3rd rounder, and based on his recent body of work I'd balk at that, too. I wasn't too impressed with the TEs against the Giants, but in fairness I don't see what they're seeing in practice (if one guy looks much better than some PS1 jitters). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Hurst for Sheppard and a 6. Who says no?

Not bad.  I’m stumped there so this probably pretty fair.  

But then again…who the hell has Shepherd on their radar?  He was a small school 27 year old prospect when he was drafted by Macc.  He probably had a UDFA grade by roughly 2/3 of NFL GM’s at that draft, no?

Atlanta says no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not bad.  I’m stumped there so this probably pretty fair.  

But then again…who the hell has Shepherd on their radar?  He was a small school 27 year old prospect when he was drafted by Macc.  He probably had a UDFA grade by roughly 2/3 of NFL GM’s at that draft, no?

Atlanta says no.

For reference, he'd be a starting DE in their 3-4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...