Douglas, Saleh, and Wilson

How much are these guys’ futures tied together? Was thinking about it before and then a piece touching on how Pace has now traded up for two QB’s with Chicago took it a step further.

Very early on in the process I felt that taking Wilson was a big risk for Douglas. Now I’m wondering if he looks at it the same way. Is he sitting there thinking he risked his job, or that if everything else works out it doesn’t really matter if Wilson does? Same question for Saleh.

And on the flip side, is hitting on a franchise QB a golden ticket for those guys? If he becomes a top five NFL QB is there something that can happen alongside that to get them let go while he’s still the quarterback of the Jets?

I guess to put a couple explicit questions on it - what has to happen for a scenario where Zach Wilson doesn’t play out a second contract with the Jets but Douglas sticks around? Same question for Saleh?

And what has to happen for the opposite to be true, Wilson is a hit and a star QB but Douglas gets let go before Wilson does? Same for Saleh?

1 minute ago, derp said:

How much are these guys’ futures tied together? Was thinking about it before and then a piece touching on how Pace has now traded up for two QB’s with Chicago took it a step further.

Very early on in the process I felt that taking Wilson was a big risk for Douglas. Now I’m wondering if he looks at it the same way. Is he sitting there thinking he risked his job, or that if everything else works out it doesn’t really matter if Wilson does? Same question for Saleh.

And on the flip side, is hitting on a franchise QB a golden ticket for those guys? If he becomes a top five NFL QB is there something that can happen alongside that to get them let go while he’s still the quarterback of the Jets?

I guess to put a couple explicit questions on it - what has to happen for a scenario where Zach Wilson doesn’t play out a second contract with the Jets but Douglas sticks around? Same question for Saleh?

And what has to happen for the opposite to be true, Wilson is a hit and a star QB but Douglas gets let go before Wilson does? Same for Saleh?

Simple, if the team looks like a playoff team but the QB is holding them back. 

If Wilson is a star, Douglas is here for 50 years. He can drag the one Lombardi around the parking lot and be fine. 

These 3 will be intertwined as long as they are with the Jets. By deep 6ing Sam JD put all his eggs in the Zack Wilson basket. If Zack is a big hit and the team is winning I seriously doubt that JD or Saleh get let go. Only reason they would leave is if they had a greater opportunity. And if that happened shame on Woody and Chris. 

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Well, Watson is a top 5 QB, but that GM has done so badly there trading WR Hopkins and letting Watt go. Not sure if he is the one who picked Watson, but in a case like that even though Watson is top 5 at hos position the record of the team can still get the GM fired. Then an examples of where a QB has not worked out like the Rams and 49ers, but the rest of the team has been built well so a botchup at QB for the situations they had should not affect GMs/coaches as much since they have built everything else well and can try to get future QBs to plugin to their team/system that should work out. In the Jets case, they starting with this past FA/draft and moving forward have the resources for drafting/FA/trades to where if this team in another year or two doesn't show a significant uptick in talent level and on the field progress(even if QB Wilson were to struggle) then the GM and HC coach would be on the hot seat more to do with that then the level of play of the QB itself.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, Watson is a top 5 QB, but that GM has done so badly there trading WR Hopkins and letting Watt go. Not sure if he is the one who picked Watson, but in a case like that even though Watson is top 5 at hos position the record of the team can still get the GM fired. Then an examples of where a QB has not worked out like the Rams and 49ers, but the rest of the team has been built well so a botchup at QB for the situations they had should not affect GMs/coaches as much since they have built everything else well and can try to get future QBs to plugin to their team/system that should work out. In the Jets case, they starting with this past FA/draft and moving forward have the resources for drafting/FA/trades to where if this team in another year or two doesn't show a significant uptick in talent level and on the field progress(even if QB Wilson were to struggle) then the GM and HC coach would be on the hot seat more to do with that then the level of play of the QB itself.

Absolutely understand both are possible. Was more hoping for discussion related to what we already know about the team in place. With this roster and future draft capital what’s a path to the Houston scenario and what’s a path to the Rams scenario?