An Intro to NYDN's New Beat Writer (Another Zach Wilson thread in disguise)

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

New writer is right out of college, not from the area, and has no real contacts or sources with the Jets. 

That's who the DN hired to cover the Jets.

So you’re saying he’s hungry? Not sure why it matters where he’s from... 

Not knocking the guys work ethic, and he'd he fine as a stringer... But this is an NFL team in the largest Media Market in the United States... I just find it strange that they hired someone so new and inexperienced to be the beat writer of an NFL franchise in a Major NYC pub.

Would expect a guy with his resume to start at the Bergen Record or something.  

Whatever. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Print media is dying, The Daily Snooze is one larger than expected phone bill away from bankruptcy

That was my thought too, you're lucky each paper even has a beat reporter, and that they're not just doing pool reporting or buying coverage from one of the big news agencies at this point.

10-20 years from now, no one just hitting high school will even know what a "newspaper" is.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

New writer is right out of college, not from the area, and has no real contacts or sources with the Jets. 

I thought the same thing but so far DJ has asked some good questions on brief press interactions we've seen, at least better than the usual fare we get from Cimini/Connor/Cos

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That was my thought too, you're lucky each paper even has a beat reporter, and that they're not just doing pool reporting or buying coverage from one of the big news agencies at this point.

10-20 years from now, no one just hitting high school will even know what a "newspaper" is.

For most news stories that is already the case. The majority of stories in any newspaper and most websites come straight from AP maybe with some minor editing for space. AP has as much power in the media as twitter or FB but nobody hears about it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So you are admitting that Manish had sources?  :)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

I thought it was a guy named McDonald who replaced Kanish?  Am I hallucinating?

No. Charles McDonald (@fourverts on twitter, great follow) was the guy who came in after Manish was banned and basically wrote all the stories and asked Manish's questions for him. Blasted Manish on his way out the door.

Good writer, knows football, now at USA Today's ForTheWin

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Seriously, right? I mean, the Daily News is terrible but they finally upgraded something! Boom! Headshot!

• Sympathy 1

This was a well written and researched article with a lot of nuggets I hadn't heard before. Good for DJ. 

I pray he doesn't go the way of Manish. 

Nuggets that are new for me:

- Prepping for practice with his girlfriend. Vs. our prior QBs getting mono or showing up on page six. This is a breath of fresh air to me. I have no problem with boys being boys, but all things equal if our qb's sniper girlfriend is really into football and helps him prepare, that's cool.

- Love the anecdote of him staying ahead of his coach with prep and knowing the opposition better. Great story that reflects why Lafleur loved him. Echoes the stories of him acing his interviews that Breer posted today too.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He’s also a Dolphins fan. lol.

Good post-draft feel good article though, I enjoyed it.

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

NYDN will soon start leaning on him to come up with controversy and get more clicks-

NY Post is owned by Murdoch who owns Fox News and WSJ and the stories coming out of how he controls the Post’s content is Machiavellian.  

both tabloid rags- like page 6 tho ? 

Smart ... move on from the sh*te perspective so pervasive in these parts.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Not knocking the guys work ethic, and he'd he fine as a stringer... But this is an NFL team in the largest Media Market in the United States... I just find it strange that they hired someone so new and inexperienced to be the beat writer of an NFL franchise in a Major NYC pub.

Would expect a guy with his resume to start at the Bergen Record or something.  

Whatever. 

not sure if you noticed but newspapers are broke. NYDN is hardly a local paper anymore. It's owned by Tribune who's MO is cost cutting

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

New writer is right out of college (Columbia University Graduate School with a Masters in Journalism,) not from the area, and has no real contacts or sources with the Jets. 

Just received a Masters degree from Columbia.  Let's hope Columbia Univ instilled some sense of journalism ethics and he doesn't become yet another puppet for the NYDN just to get clicks.

• Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Just received a Masters degree from Columbia.  Let's hope Columbia Univ instilled some sense of journalism ethics and he doesn't become yet another puppet for the NYDN just to get clicks.

He did an interview with one of the Jets YouTubers and it sounds like his hearts in the right place.