Nasirildeen and Yeboah look like Steals

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

After watching a bunch of video on both these guys I am stunned that one went in the 6th and the other went undrafted.  I really think that because of the lack of a combine and players not having full seasons, a lot of good players may have fallen through the cracks.   

Nasir (as I will call from now on lol) is like a poor mans Isaiah Simmons. At 6 '4 220 he should easily be able to add 5 to 10 pounds of good weight.   Same goes for Yeboah who looks almost skinny at 250.  His long and lanky frame looks like it could hold another 10 pounds of muscle.    

Both are definitely superior athletes.  Both are legit playmakers, especially Nasir.  I know he had the ACL injury and that hurt his stock because there is NO WAY he should have lasted to the 6th round.  I think we really might have struck gold on this pick.   I think if he was fully healthy and played a full season last year he could have been a 1st or 2nd round pick. 

Yeboah is another very intriguing player.   To get him as an UDFA is just insane.   I actually think he will make the team and push Herndon for playing time.   This dude is 6'4 247 with an 81' wingspan which is only 2 inches shorter than Kyle Pitts.  Dude is great athlete who really projects well at the next level.  

JD may hit a homerun with these two guys... 

For Nasir, it is a plus that he did in fact come back for the last 2 games last year, so that shows he got past his ACL issue. Yeboah had me going for at least the 3rd day of the draft since Kiper had him on his best available top 10 list starting from the 4th-5th round and I wanted us to draft him somewhere in that range or even in the 6th if need be, but him dropping out of the draft and getting him as an UDFA was great. One would think since we guaranteed him 200k he is making the team unless he fall flat on his face. 

• Upvote 4

Nas got shredded at the senior bowl in one-on-ones.

I'm not putting everything on that, but he's the player I'm least excited we drafted.

And he's a safety that will play LB for us, so I get that he won't be 1 on 1 with WR's, but it was pretty ugly from the senior bowl practices from what I remember.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He had his moments at the Senior Bowl. Definitely not a Safety you want to leave one on one with a WR, but in the box as sort of a hybrid that can cover tight ends and deliver some hits and cause some turnovers. #jamaladams

Apparently dude did well against TE's and RB's, but struggled against receivers. I'm alright with that. Let's see how it plays out. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Nasirildeen was a steal.  That he is also a perfect fit for what Saleh intends to do on defense with the WILL is sauce for the goose.  He is a rangy tackler who sheds blocks with ease.  That his expertise in pass defense is in zone makes him a perfect fit.  Add in 34.5" arms and 10" hands with 4.5 speed and you have an elite prospect.  Lucky us.  As for the knee, those can be fixed nowadays.  Just look at Austin.  Nasirildeen's only competition will come from Sherwood who also has 34" arms and 10" hands.  It is all good.  I expect both to be on the field at times. 

Yeboah needs a year in the program to put on weight and get stronger.  His build can handle another 10-20 lbs with ease.  Once done, we have an inline tight end who can block and catch.  That's the trick imo.  I liked him more than the pricier options in this year's draft. 

My two biggest defensive questions going into the season:

Can Saleh defense neutralize Stephon Diggs and if so what’s the primary coverage?

Can this defense bring enough pressure to shrink the field to a 20yard field of play outside the numbers? Lock the middle down and force ball outside.

Edited by 32EBoozer

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Apparently dude did well against TE's and RB's, but struggled against receivers. I'm alright with that. Let's see how it plays out. 

Yup, he won't be covering WRs, even slot WRs here with the Jets.  He could have trouble with speedy RBs out of the backfield but let's see how he develops and how they use him.

• Upvote 1

We start playing all these Safeties at LB and teams are going to start putting two TE in and running a physical running game at us coupled with play action.  I'm suspect but open minded.   And don't bring up the SF team that went to the SB.  They had an amazing front that was virtually unblockable.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

We start playing all these Safeties at LB and teams are going to start putting two TE in and running a physical running game at us coupled with play action.  I'm suspect but open minded.   And don't bring up the SF team that went to the SB.  They had an amazing front that was virtually unblockable.  

This is true but for once I wouldn't mind the Jets to be mid pack to lower at rush defense and really high pass defense.  Our great run defense stats over the years have done nothing for this team.

9 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Jet's are supposedly really high on Michael Carter (Duke) according to Conner Hughes, might start the season as the starting nickel corner. 

One of the keys of the defense we will run is that we do not need lock down man corners and the so called "zone only" CBs drop pretty far in the draft but they can be very effective in our defense. Is it better to also have great corners in this defense like Sherman in Seattle? Sure. But CB is slightly less critical in this defense than the attacking 3-4s we are used to

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Our DL will be really stout. That might not be all that successful.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I wouldn't describe our front 4 as stout who will keep guys off our linebackers.   Quick and stout aren't the same thing.  

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I wouldn't describe our front 4 as stout who will keep guys off our linebackers.   Quick and stout aren't the same thing.  

I think you are short changing the talent on our defensive line.  Willimas, Rankins, Fotukusi, Shepard are all stout against the run.  Plus we have Mosely (assuming he still on the team) and Jarrad Davis.   Both good run defenders.  Bryce Huff and Zuniga are also very good against the run.   Add Lawson, Franklin-Myers and Curry and I think we are pretty stout. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I think you are short changing the talent on our defensive line.  Willimas, Rankins, Fotukusi, Shepard are all stout against the run.  Plus we have Mosely (assuming he still on the team) and Jarrad Davis.   Both good run defenders.  Bryce Huff and Zuniga are also very good against the run.   Add Lawson, Franklin-Myers and Curry and I think we are pretty stout. 

I forgot about "Foley" in mentioning Mosely. Foley is a run defense all by himself. Not crazy to see him as a permanent "DRS" (designated run stopper, heh! heh!) if we could work out the $$$.

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

After watching a bunch of video on both these guys I am stunned that one went in the 6th and the other went undrafted.  I really think that because of the lack of a combine and players not having full seasons, a lot of good players may have fallen through the cracks.   

Nasir (as I will call from now on lol) is like a poor mans Isaiah Simmons. At 6 '4 220 he should easily be able to add 5 to 10 pounds of good weight.   Same goes for Yeboah who looks almost skinny at 250.  His long and lanky frame looks like it could hold another 10 pounds of muscle.    

Both are definitely superior athletes.  Both are legit playmakers, especially Nasir.  I know he had the ACL injury and that hurt his stock because there is NO WAY he should have lasted to the 6th round.  I think we really might have struck gold on this pick.   I think if he was fully healthy and played a full season last year he could have been a 1st or 2nd round pick. 

Yeboah is another very intriguing player.   To get him as an UDFA is just insane.   I actually think he will make the team and push Herndon for playing time.   This dude is 6'4 247 with an 81' wingspan which is only 2 inches shorter than Kyle Pitts.  Dude is great athlete who really projects well at the next level.  

JD may hit a homerun with these two guys... 

if any of late round guys become contributors on the team I am going to be very thankful to the Joe scouting team! It seems unusual that we hearing legit optimism about our late round guys. I mean it seems based on reality and real, not just team PR. Very refreshing. Plus the FA and Undrafter guys I really think our roster has been turned over wiht like 30 some odd starters being new. That is very good and needed! Way to go Joe lets go JETS

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think we're going to be saying the same about Marshall. I expect he will earn a spot on the DL rotation.

Penetrator more than a block eater, but what an exciting pick. After reading about his workout numbers and productivity stats (e.g. pressures), I'm like "what's the catch"?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

I think we're going to be saying the same about Marshall. I expect he will earn a spot on the DL rotation.

Yes!! This dude is a BEAST.  I bet Saleh can't WAIT to get his hands on this lump of clay.  I also think we may see Hamilcar Rashed make the team as well.  When is the last time this team had these kinds of players?  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

For Nasir, it is a plus that he did in fact come back for the last 2 games last year, so that shows he got past his ACL issue. Yeboah had me going for at least the 3rd day of the draft since Kiper had him on his best available top 10 list starting from the 4th-5th round and I wanted us to draft him somewhere in that range or even in the 6th if need be, but him dropping out of the draft and getting him as an UDFA was great. One would think since we guaranteed him 200k he is making the team unless he fall flat on his face. 

Nasir was drafted in the 6th? 

If you look at highlight films of Zack Wilson...you see him making big throws to his TEs.  Bushman and the other guy was called Rex.  He was utilizing his TEs effectively for big chunk plays.  Macc's disappointment Herndon won't be on the 2022 roster. 

Wanted to see a young TE to grow and develop with ZW.   Maybe Yeboah can be that guy.  Thought he'd be drafted by the 5th round.  So this is a real good signing by JD.  The dollar amount of that UDFA contract was pretty high.  Which tells me Yeboah will make the team.   ZW throwing to an athletic playmaker TE should be a must want addition.  It would bring a balance to this offense in a big way.  Jets would then have effective weapons at all skill positions.

If Nas  looks anything like his 2019 play he's a sure fire steel of this draft.  Most of those hybrid type DB/LB picks Jets drafted on Day 3...were smart versatile players with good athletic traits.  Players that can close and stop the run.  But most importantly...have the speed and agility to be good in coverage.  Which is what Saleh wants for his 4-2-5 schemes.  

Marshall is a freak athlete for a 310 lbs DT.  Ran a 4.88 forty.  And his overall agility and athleticism is historically off the charts. Very strong too...benched 36 times!  A question I ask myself.  Do they want this guy to lose 10-15 lbs and then run a 4.75 at 295-300?  Scary what this guy could be at that size and speed.  Just a thought.  They must be confident that Marshall can be coached into an effective player in some capacity.  He could be a piece of clay to mold due to his impressive measurables.  

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If we are going to play 4-2-5 then someone like Foley becomes even more important as the DL will need to do a good job clogging things up and making some stops behind the LOS so we dont get mauled if teams go 2 TEs.

• Upvote 1