Nasirildeen and Yeboah look like Steals

every year there are a bunch of guys that don't get drafted and then get pumped up by the fans.  all well and good.  there may be a guy or two that will stick but for the most part there are reasons why these guys went undrafted.  i think being a jets fan i've seen too many reaches by guys like mac to really get that excited. if douglas can net 4 starters out of this years draft, that would be exciting.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rangerous said:

every year there are a bunch of guys that don't get drafted and then get pumped up by the fans.  all well and good.  there may be a guy or two that will stick but for the most part there are reasons why these guys went undrafted.  i think being a jets fan i've seen too many reaches by guys like mac to really get that excited. if douglas can net 4 starters out of this years draft, that would be exciting.

Based on this 2019 stat (I'm sure it hasn't changed that much), 30% of NFL rosters are UDFAs. That means that about 15 guys on our 53 man roster will be UDFAs. We've brought in about 10 after this draft, so odds are 3 will make it.

2019 NFL Rosters by Original Draft Slot

UDFA- 30.9%
Rd 1- 14.3%
Rd 2- 11.0%
Rd 3- 11.1%
Rd 4- 9.9%
Rd 5- 8.6%
Rd 6- 8.4%
Rd 7- 5.7%

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1169006237490569217?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Based on this 2019 stat (I'm sure it hasn't changed that much), 30% of NFL rosters are UDFAs. That means that about 15 guys on our 53 man roster will be UDFAs. We've brought in about 10 after this draft, so odds are 3 will make it.

2019 NFL Rosters by Original Draft Slot

UDFA- 30.9%
Rd 1- 14.3%
Rd 2- 11.0%
Rd 3- 11.1%
Rd 4- 9.9%
Rd 5- 8.6%
Rd 6- 8.4%
Rd 7- 5.7%

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1169006237490569217?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

well, that also goes without saying.  there are 7 rounds and 32 teams.  each team has 53 players.  with an average career of around 4 seasons it stands to reason that the draft can't possible supply all of the players so there needs to be a lot of udfa's.  the real question is how many starters come from each round?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

well, that also goes without saying.  there are 7 rounds and 32 teams.  each team has 53 players.  with an average career of around 4 seasons it stands to reason that the draft can't possible supply all of the players so there needs to be a lot of udfa's.  the real question is how many starters come from each round?

They may not have been starters, but we got contributions last year from 3 rookie UDFAs: Lamar jackson, Javelin Guidry and Bryce Huff.  All played more than 250 snaps.  The only rookies to get more reps than Lamar Jackson last season were Becton and Bryce Hall.

The likelihood of finding impact starters is low -- but we have had hits with guys like Robby, Snacks and Brandon Moore in recent years.  Most of these guys will end up being nothing more than camp bodies, but you can find contributors.  And I would argue that this year, with the impact of Covid on scouting, there may be less of a difference between UDFAs and 6th/7th round picks.

• Upvote 2

On 5/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He had his moments at the Senior Bowl. Definitely not a Safety you want to leave one on one with a WR, but in the box as sort of a hybrid that can cover tight ends and deliver some hits and cause some turnovers. #jamaladams

As far as covering - Nasir>Jamal Adams. You can easily see Nasir has shifter, swifter feet than Adams who can’t cover a pot. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

duly noted.

But I'm still excited. I guess I should be ashamed to admit this?

On 5/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, clayton163v said:

Nasirildeen was a steal.  That he is also a perfect fit for what Saleh intends to do on defense with the WILL is sauce for the goose.  He is a rangy tackler who sheds blocks with ease.  That his expertise in pass defense is in zone makes him a perfect fit.  Add in 34.5" arms and 10" hands with 4.5 speed and you have an elite prospect.  Lucky us.  As for the knee, those can be fixed nowadays.  Just look at Austin.  Nasirildeen's only competition will come from Sherwood who also has 34" arms and 10" hands.  It is all good.  I expect both to be on the field at times. 

Yeboah needs a year in the program to put on weight and get stronger.  His build can handle another 10-20 lbs with ease.  Once done, we have an inline tight end who can block and catch.  That's the trick imo.  I liked him more than the pricier options in this year's draft. 

He can be both inline and move and I have a feeling it won't take him a year to make an impact.  I think he will make one this year.  His skill set is just too good.  Look what he did to Alabama this year.   Those are elite numbers he put up.  

Against Florida, he compared very favorably with their stalwart TE, and Atlanta's number 4 pick, Kyle Pitts.   Kudos to JD for getting this kid sign so quickly.   

43 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

As far as covering - Nasir>Jamal Adams. You can easily see Nasir has shifter, swifter feet than Adams who can’t cover a pot. 

Definitely, especially before his injury.  It wasn't even close.   He started showing signs of getting his quickness back and I think with all the time off, he should be as good as new come training camp.   

• Upvote 1