2022 quick peek ahead

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

They gave out 2 of these contracts. Dunn & Yeboah. Rashed Jr. got a large deal as well.

I guess we’ll see.

It certainly indicates that they like the players and they have an excellent chance of making the roster.  I just don't think it gives them even a tiny leg up if somebody outplays them.  They could cut 25 of those guys and it wouldn't be as much dead money as they carry for Darnold.

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're looking at the wrong year ;). Click the tab that says "2022" under the Jets logo. Keep in mind I think he's presuming a cap ceiling a little over $200MM for now, but regardless he's also assuming everyone on that list will be on the roster.

His charts correctly have everyone who's on the team and under contract for that year for each team. I'm quite certain Jason has opinions on it, but right there on the chart isn't the place for predicting which current Jets be gone between today & week 1 of the 2022 season. 

Yeah, you responded too quickly, I deleted it when I realized I had a brain freeze and you were talking about next season.

Good part is they have us down for $70+M in cap space as of today

• Upvote 1

Zack needs to finish this season looking confident and operating the offense with efficiency.  If that happens it should result in a lot of optimism for moving forward into 2022 season.

Among the usual suspects for position upgrades and replacements.   Such as...EDGE-CB-OL-LB-WR...Jets should focus on securing as elite a TE as they can get from the 2022 draft.  Giving the Jets offense a formidable weapon at all skill positions. 

TE is an important position in a WCO.  Was the last productive pass catching TE Dustin Keller?  That's like 2011 when he caught 65 balls.  A monumental feat for a Jets TE.  

Maybe Jets should have a Dustin Keller award...for the next TE good enough to catch 60+.    

20 hours ago, David Harris said:

Franklin Meyers is underrated decent.

What are the strengths in next years draft class?

Early indications are Edge stands out for next year in terms of top tier talent and also depth. Which is fortunate for us. 

outside of that it’s more difficult to say what the top positions will be because 2020 season was messed up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Watching JD operate this off-season makes you wonder about 2020.  it really seems like JD's focus was clearing the deck (Gase included) and in hindsight he didn't put a lot of effort into the team last year.   

It certainly seems like there is a clear vision and plan...just seems like Gase wasn't part of it and the real effort starts now.    I am cautiously optimistic that at least one of Zuniga or Clark fit the Saleh/Lafleur profile and just redshirted last year with Gase/Williams.   

I know it's tempting to find an answer that paints him in the best light possible (of one who doesn't make boneheaded decisions), but I doubt he had that deep of a plan to jettison Gase by harming the offense and/or the rest of the team, because that also requires harming Darnold and others to get there.

I'd have to know from the horse's mouth - in advance of him doing it - that he purposely turned a bad roster into a horrid one. 

Never mind that you're presuming you knew he'd be searching for - and thus limiting his search to - a HC for whom players like Zuniga might be better fits.

I think he's just learning on the job. It's not so much that he's smarter than he was, so much as when you're the GM instead of an assistant, you don't just get credit for the good ideas. The bad ones manifest on the field when someone else didn't either put a better contingency plan into effect or veto the bad decision outright. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Watching JD operate this off-season makes you wonder about 2020.  it really seems like JD's focus was clearing the deck (Gase included) and in hindsight he didn't put a lot of effort into the team last year.   

It certainly seems like there is a clear vision and plan...just seems like Gase wasn't part of it and the real effort starts now.    I am cautiously optimistic that at least one of Zuniga or Clark fit the Saleh/Lafleur profile and just redshirted last year with Gase/Williams.   

I kind of feel like this too.  I have to, it is the only thing that gives me hope. 

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

People are giving away roster spots over $200K?  Are you ******* kidding me?  Even with all the cap space, this team is eating $21M in dead money.  $200k barely guarantees a spot in camp.

EDIT: To point out that it is actually $21,178,273.  Nobody cares about the $178,273.  That is because $200K is meaningless to an NFL salary cap.

Do you think by guaranteeing $200K should the Jets waive them during final cuts it's less likely another team would claim them allowing the Jets to sign them to the PS?