Alternate Universe Draft. What if Sam Stayed.

4 minutes ago, Curtis Martian said:

Just for fun, and to compare what we have now, with "what if"...

You're Joe Douglas, it's draft day, and you have Sam, no. 2, 23, and 34. What do you do in the first two rounds? Do you start by trading back a few spots as I would? Ok then what?

I don’t see anyway you could keep him unless you’re trading down from 1.02 for a haul, or taking Wilson or Fields regardless. Taking Pitts or Sewell or anyone else would have been negligence.

And I say that as someone who felt that the organization both (1) ruined Darnold and (2) is making a mistake with Wilson over Fields.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, Curtis Martian said:

Just for fun, and to compare what we have now, with "what if"...

You're Joe Douglas, it's draft day, and you have Sam, no. 2, 23, and 34. What do you do in the first two rounds? Do you start by trading back a few spots as I would? Ok then what?

Stop teasing me

I thought about the idea of keeping Sam throughout leading up to the draft. 

But I came to the conclusion that it'll be much more fun rooting for Sam and the Panthers to lose games for draft picks rather than having to root against the Jets for draft picks: Darnold had no help but he was really bad. 

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Based on what we've heard from the Jets, I pretty much expect that:

• Probably would have traded back to about 10-ish for AVT
  • 23 would have been used on Elijah Moore - they openly talked about thinking they lost him by traded up from 23, so he was a target regardless
  • 34 becomes the real mystery - maybe we get one of the higher rated CBs here or a Center
  • I am not going to do the work to figure out our trade-back compensation, but let's assume we come out of that with Tommy Tremble or an EDGE
  • We would have had 3rd rounders, and Michael Carter would have likely been drafter earlier - they also have talked openly about thinking he would have been long gone before our 4th
  • The rest of the draft would have fallen about the same

I'd have been fine with this, tbh, but I get why they made the move too. 

Fingers crossed they got it right.

Killer Post. I actually agree with most of it.

We take the SF trade down.

1.12:  We take Reshaun Slater. He was our number 1. 
1.23: We take Elijah Moore 

2.2: Asante Samuel

3.2: Tommy Tremble or Ronnie Perkins

3.23: Michael Carter

Plus Two Future First

vs the 2/4 we got for Sam.

Yea I’ll take the Zack Wilson version of this and be very happy about it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not possible.  Rex Ryan's defense was all gas all fake.

SAR I

Seriously.

For 5/6 years the league killed Rex with wheel routes and shallow crossing routes, and our fans are still like "Rex played the Patriots tough".

Um, no.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Killer Post. I actually agree with most of it.

We take the SF trade down.

1.12:  We take Reshaun Slater. He was our number 1. 
1.23: We take Elijah Moore 

2.2: Asante Samuel

3.2: Tommy Tremble or Ronnie Perkins

3.23: Michael Carter

Plus Two Future First

vs the 2/4 we got for Sam.

Yea I’ll take the Zack Wilson version of this and be very happy about it. 

Yup, probably something like that.

My guess is the Jets would have found a way to put something together like this..... either Slater or AVT + Elijah Moore + a much better CB earlier + a better LB earlier + Michael Carter + Tommy Tremble + probably 2 additional picks in 2022 with one being a 1st. 

Trading back instead of having to trade and still getting Slater or AVT would have been the key to the Draft.  My assumption is the Jets would have still hit all the positions they actually did hit....but just with better players.

Ok, I'll bite.

First I would accept the trade offer from the 49ers to move from #12 to #2.  Thus, we would get 1st round picks in 2022, 2023 and a third round pick in 2022.  Since the #2 pick is more valuable, I snag their 3d rounder this year too.  That is #88.

Thus we are at #12.

With #12 pick, I take Guard Slater.

With #23 pick, I take RB Harris.

With #34 pick, I take WR Elijah Moore.

With #66 pick, I take LB Chaz Surratt.

With #86 pick, I take Guard/Center Meinerz

With #88 pick, I take Corner Melifonwu

I trade #107, #146, #154 for #93 and I take OT Spencer Brown (the Bills make me pay through the nose) - Yes, the Bills got Brown!

With #175 I take LB McGrone

With #186 I take LB Nasirildeen

With #207 I take DT Marshall

• Upvote 1

We take Pitts and scream in agony throughout the season about how he is a bust because he avg about 3 catches a game with Darnold behind center.  Half the board says" This is why you never draft a tight end that high, look at kittle, Gronk, etc."  We talk about a wasted year and how we would be lucky  to trade sam for a used jockstrap at this point.  Am I doing it right?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetswinbaby! said:

"Alternate Universe Draft. What if Sam Stayed"...

...At USC for one more year?

Josh Allen might be a NY Jet today...

No he would not. Macc wasn’t taking Allen—superficially too similar to Hackenberg. Rosen would be a Jet.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Let's see if all you 'Darnold is the worst QB EVER' guys still feel the same way after watching how he performs on a Carolina team that's not great but at least decent.

Sam is objectively a bad NFL QB. Jets maybe didn’t do him any favors but he never was the best player on the field in 3 years. FQBs are able to elevate beyond adversity and take over games at least a couple times a season. Very comfortable risking Darnold somehow rebounding into a legit starter — would be nearly unprecedented.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, pointman said:

Stacked roster and Sam proves he is actually worse than Sanchez. 

Sanchez was my Darnold comp when he came out of school. You can imagine the response that got here.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

No he would not. Macc wasn’t taking Allen—superficially too similar to Hackenberg. Rosen would be a Jet.

and if we picked Rosen there would be people here saying, ...give him one more year., sign his 5th year extension.

it was Gase, the line, the weapons,..... its everyone's fault but Rosen!!!

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, doitny said:

and if we picked Rosen there would be people here saying, ...give him one more year., sign his 5th year extension.

it was Gase, the line, the weapons,..... its everyone's fault but Rosen!!!

Yep, said it before. We’d be hearing the same excuses for Rosen. That’s how you know the Sam excuses have not validity because they have nothing to do with him. It’s all about his surroundings. Plug and play excuses we’d be hearing the same of if we drafted Rosen.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Sam is objectively a bad NFL QB. Jets maybe didn’t do him any favors but he never was the best player on the field in 3 years. FQBs are able to elevate beyond adversity and take over games at least a couple times a season. Very comfortable risking Darnold somehow rebounding into a legit starter — would be nearly unprecedented.

OK - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I saw enough out of Darnold the last 4 games of his rookie season for me to think he can be a good QB. After that you have Gase, who was the worst HC, an O coordinator that was hiking in the mountains and a team that had the worst talent in the league thanks to Idzak and Macc.

Near impossible to look good in that situation. That's why I'll follow him in Carolina on a decent team and see how he plays.

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

"Just for fun". Ha, OK. "Just for fun", I was thinking about cleaning out the shed to see how many bloody, rusty murder tools disguised as spades and hedge shears I could bury in contractor bags on the curb. 

R9c5bf8798fb1c3e3ae6668f9d87e8963?rik=FM

P.S. It's terribly entertaining to read some of Sam's most ardent fanbois now pretending like they never liked him and always though he sucked.  You guys are just silly.

Have no fear, we'll all get to see if Sam sucks in Carolina, or if it was Gase/Jets Roster Management that truly sucked the last three years.

No need to rush it, time and gameplay will tell that tale soon enough, same as it will for Wilson.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1