Should Jets pursue Zach Ertz?

Zach Ertz isn’t getting his trade wish for a while

The draft weekend came and went without Ertz moving a muscle.

The Eagles want value in return for the three-time Pro Bowl tight end and clearly aren’t receiving the trade interest that they think he warrants. With no way of adding draft capital to impact this year’s roster, the Eagles should wait to trade or release Ertz, even if that’s to his detriment.

The Eagles can save $8.5 million -- as opposed to $4.95 million -- if they trade Ertz in June. At this point, their return is likely to involve a 2022 draft pick, so waiting a month to make a move is an obvious strategy.

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Zach Ertz isn’t getting his trade wish for a while

The draft weekend came and went without Ertz moving a muscle.

The Eagles want value in return for the three-time Pro Bowl tight end and clearly aren’t receiving the trade interest that they think he warrants. With no way of adding draft capital to impact this year’s roster, the Eagles should wait to trade or release Ertz, even if that’s to his detriment.

The Eagles can save $8.5 million -- as opposed to $4.95 million -- if they trade Ertz in June. At this point, their return is likely to involve a 2022 draft pick, so waiting a month to make a move is an obvious strategy.

Imagine trading Zach Wilson for Sam Darnold and Pitts ? 

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Imagine summer camp and Zach Wilson faking a handoff to Michael Carter to throw a pass to Zach Ertz that gets intercepted by Michael Carter.

Imagine Alija blocking on a roll out for Zach giving him enough time to connect for a bomb on the opposite side of the field to Elijah for the touchdown.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Imagine Alija blocking on a roll out for Zach giving him enough time to connect for a bomb on the opposite side of the field to Elijah for the touchdown.

Now we're talking!!!  Zach protected by Alijah and throwing to either Elijah or Zach.

We basically HAVE TO trade for Ertz now.

Doesn't Joe Douglas see the signs.... I mean our GM is all about symmetry.  He hired another completely bald man to lead this team with him for chrissakes.

• Haha 1

Honestly, we have to trade one of our ultra talented players to get Ertz. Someone who is proven he has skills to pay the bills. Someone who can run, block, and do all the things. Someone from a tough, gritty college program, someone who can overcome adversity off the field. I hate to do it, but I am willing to part ways with Herndon for Ertz. 

200.gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

No possible FQB for a possible FQB and a possible All Pro TE.

We'll agree to disagree.  

For one I don't think Ertz has much left in him and as much as I wanted it to happen, thought it would happen, I dont think Darnold becomes a consistent pro bowl type QB

Never mind the financial issues that go along with Sam

• 3 months later...

E87N8XmX0AkVnbR.jpeg.thumb.jpg.35b3dcbee0a27779b233779e06e69edb.jpg

Bill Belichick has some fun with Zach Ertz: ‘I’m still going to get you some day’

The New England Patriots held their first joint practice with the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday morning. After the session Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and Eagles tight end Zach Ertz got together for a light-hearted exchange that was captured by Jamie Apody of 6abc Sports in Philadelphia.

“I’m still going to get you some day,” Belichick said, according to Apody. “But Howie [Roseman] wants two first-round picks and two of my grandchildren!”

Moving on from Ertz would make sense for the Eagles and their general manager, Roseman. Not only is the 30-year-old coming off the worst statistical season of his career — playing in 11 games he set new career-lows in receptions (36) receiving yards (335) and touchdowns (1) — he also carries a salary cap hit of $12.7 million in the final season of his current contract.

Could the Patriots be interested in acquiring that deal alongside a player on the wrong side of 30 coming off a disappointing season? That seems highly unlikely, especially considering that New England invested in Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry just earlier this offseason.

Ertz might have a future in New England further down the line, but definitely not on his current contract.

SOURCE 

That’s a pretty funny comment from BB. Roseman is probably asking for the moon.

Still think we should trade for him. I feel even better about a trade giving how good our young guys look (except at TE) If a 5th can get him, I’d do it.  We have depth on our team (except at TE) and next year’s draft should be more about quality than quantity.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jethead said:

No divas please. Ertz always seemed like a me guy. We got rid of ours. Don't need to add another one 

Where have you seen anything like this?  Ive never heard an issue about Ertz.

Personally I dont see how the Eagles can keep him with his contract and I could easily see JD scooping him up for a 6th round pick with a new contract.  

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Where have you seen anything like this?  Ive never heard an issue about Ertz.

Personally I dont see how the Eagles can keep him with his contract and I could easily see JD scooping him up for a 6th round pick with a new contract.  

Well JD should know given their sha history so if he thinks it's a good move I would defer but I will be surprised.