What do the Jets think of Mosley?

The two big question marks I have with Mosley are how much drive and desire does he have after essentially two years off! The other question is can he fit in to a 4-3 defense after having never played in it?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Joejet said:

The two big question marks I have with Mosley are how much drive and desire does he have after essentially two years off! The other question is can he fit in to a 4-3 defense after having never played in it?

i think douglas plays nice right up until the moment he trades him, like adams and darnold.  mosley is the last big mistake of the mccagnan era who's still there.  also doubt they lock up maye based on what they did in the draft but at least maye is a good player.  i would guess there's more of a chance mosley is gone than crowder since the wr group had so many injuries last year and the last thing they want is to get cocky with the wr depth and then have injuries hit them like they did last year.  who knows what they really think of mosley.  

• Upvote 1

As someone pointed out in a different thread, we will have $50+ million in cap space going into 2022, even with Mosleys contract so while it was an overpay, the team can afford it.

More importantly:  1.  We have 3 true LBs on this team, Mosley, Jarrad Davis and Blake Cashman - all 3 of which carry their own risks so moving mosley would leave a huge hole in the defense.  2.  While its very fair to question how quickly he can get up to speed after his time off, I think people are really stretching it by questioning his desire.  He basically bought himself an extra year of wear and tear on his body, rather then playing for a team that was epically bad and for a coach who was completely disassociated from his players.  

Mosely coming back at 85% of the player he was, is still a pro-bowl MLB who excels in zone coverage.  Until JD and Saleh see him on the field in TC, there is no reason to think they should trade him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

They probably think he has $14M guaranteed coming over the next two years, and so they might as well get something out of him if they couldn't get something for him. The calls the Jets were getting were probably low-ball offers based on Douglas' obvious house-cleaning of Maccagnan's crap. Saleh schoozed him a little in public, and I'd imagine that their hope is for him to play at close to the level that he did for one half of football back in 2019 and either be worth the money to the team, or to another team that's willing to make a fair offer in a trade. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

They probably think he has $14M guaranteed coming over the next two years, and so they might as well get something out of him if they couldn't get something for him. The calls the Jets were getting were probably low-ball offers based on Douglas' obvious house-cleaning of Maccagnan's crap. Saleh schoozed him a little in public, and I'd imagine that their hope is for him to play at close to the level that he did for one half of football back in 2019 and either be worth the money to the team, or to another team that's willing to make a fair offer in a trade. 

you could argue that the biggest concern from saleh's and douglas' perspective isn't his play or his cap figure but the attitude he brings to a very young team.  he'd be one of the most senior guys there and you don't want him bringing that whatever attitude.  not saying he will, but it has to be at least a consideration for this new coaching staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

you could argue that the biggest concern from saleh's and douglas' perspective isn't his play or his cap figure but the attitude he brings to a very young team.  he'd be one of the most senior guys there and you don't want him bringing that whatever attitude.  not saying he will, but it has to be at least a consideration for this new coaching staff.

His comment to the effect of, "I need to rediscover that fire," or some such thing had to be a major concern. Yeah, this is a very, very young team that's only going to get even younger next year. Can't have cynical veterans undermining their attempt at a culture change here. 

Just now, slats said:

His comment to the effect of, "I need to rediscover that fire," or some such thing had to be a major concern. Yeah, this is a very, very young team that's only going to get even younger next year. Can't have cynical veterans undermining their attempt at a culture change here. 

again i can see them wanting to trade mosley before crowder, since crowder is a great role model and plays his butt off and would help wilson even with the new wrs.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

again i can see them wanting to trade mosley before crowder, since crowder is a great role model and plays his butt off and would help wilson even with the new wrs.  

I still don't get the "trade Crowder," crowd. Not after what the Jets were putting on the field at the WR position last year. I think they're both trade-deadline candidates, though, depending on what's going on with the rest of the team at the time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

I still don't get the "trade Crowder," crowd. Not after what the Jets were putting on the field at the WR position last year. I think they're both trade-deadline candidates, though, depending on what's going on with the rest of the team at the time. 

agree on crowder, he could be a trade deadline candidate, or not.

I can't see trading him now.  After two years withoout playing, his value is at its lowest.  Let him get on the field, show that he is healthy and ready to play, and if he is just not a fit as a Mike in a 4-3, then mmove him at the end of camp, when teams have a chance to see him on the field for the first time in two seasons.  Or hold on to him into the season and maybe move him at the deadline. 

If the compenstion is likely to be 2022 picks, no reason to rush into something now.

• Upvote 2

There are some people on this board who probably would still be excited if the Jets signed Calvin Johnson tomorrow, but know for certain Mosley is washed up.

Call me crazy, but a few years off at a position MLB might not be the worst thing in the world.  He'll be 29 when the season opens.  I think it's still realistic he has a few high performance years left.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed.  We have a very solid group of WR that is 5 deep.  And we are not strapped for cap space.  And, as we have seen in past years, they are not likely to all stay healthy.  If we come out of camp healthy, and Moore looks to be ready to contribute immediatlely and we get a good offer to move Crowder, fine.  Or maybe even at the deadline.  IMO, there is no rush to trade ether Crowder or Mosley for 2022 draft capital. 

If we can get a player back who helps strengthen a weakness for 2021, that is a ifferent story.  But there should be no rush to move any of these guys for 2022 draft capital.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, ryu79 said:

You don't even want to imagine it... But if he were anything like his former self....no don't get hopes up.

If he plays like he did before he got hurt, he will be responsible for the Jets getting 2 extra wins this year.

• Upvote 4

I will go so far as to say that Mosley is one of the keys to the Jets having a respectable season this year.  If he and Davis can play LB in this defense well, it will make a big difference.

I believe that Saleh can motivate him.  If Mosley wants to make himself $10mm more to retire on, he will play well enough not to get cut, because the Jets have plenty of other players to sign.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slats said:

I thought it was more guaranteed than that. Like the rest of this year and all of next year are now fully guaranteed. Hard to say with the second season getting split after he sat out 2020, but (while I may be wrong here) my recollection is the rest of the 2022 money became fully guaranteed when Mosley was on the Jets' roster on day x of the 2020 season (even if that then became 2021 because of sitting out). Whatever that date was - I'm sure Jason or someone else has got that term publicly available - surely that date had to have passed by now.

Another example why you don't let the HC buy any groceries he wants no matter the price, any more than Mrs. Sperm lets Sperm Jr just add every/any candy bar into the cart when on line.

As much as Bell may have been all Macc, reportedly Mosley was all Gase (or all Gase's strong request/demand, anyway) a couple days prior. Neither boob gets bragging rights, beyond boasting how many millions they each got from the Johnson clan. 

At this point, as you others have mentioned, it's a sunk cost so just hope for the best. It's still possible he's worth close to his contract, and then as much as it seems like more now, the only thing lost in hindsight will have been his 2019 injury season. 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought it was more guaranteed than that. Like the rest of this year and all of next year are now fully guaranteed. Hard to say with the second season getting split after he sat out 2020, but (while I may be wrong here) my recollection is the rest of the 2022 money became fully guaranteed when Mosley was on the Jets' roster on day x of the 2020 season (even if that then became 2021 because of sitting out). Whatever that date was - I'm sure Jason or someone else has got that term publicly available - surely that date had to have passed by now.

Another example why you don't let the HC buy any groceries he wants no matter the price, any more than Mrs. Sperm lets Sperm Jr just add every/any candy bar into the cart when on line.

As much as Bell may have been all Macc, reportedly Mosley was all Gase (or all Gase's strong request/demand, anyway) a couple days prior. Neither boob gets bragging rights, beyond boasting how many millions they each got from the Johnson clan. 

At this point, as you others have mentioned, it's a sunk cost so just hope for the best. It's still possible he's worth close to his contract, and then as much as it seems like more now, the only thing lost in hindsight will have been his 2019 injury season. 

According to OTC, it's a $12.5M Hit this year, and $5M savings next year.  

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yup.  As of now he has $28M guaranteed.  Spotrac has guaranteed at $27.85M, not sure where the $150K difference comes from.

• $6M 2021 base
  • $16M 2022 base fully guaranteed ($8M guaranteed at signing, additonal $8M became fully guaranteed on 3/22/21).
  • $6M remaining on signing bonus

I assume team trading for him would pick up $22M base salaries, leaving us to absorb the $6M remaining on his signing bonus.  

17 hours ago, flgreen said:

Jets realize he'll be a Jet this year.  Probably next too.

It'll be expensive, but they will find a spot for him.  He was a good player.

For the very first two quarters of the Gase regime CJ Mosley looked like the best thing on this team!  It's amazing how quickly Mosley, that game, that season, and the entire Gase era deteriorated.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

My take - this dude is a very, very good professional linebacker.  He will help us immensely on the field.  Period.

Literally like having an extra draft choice this year...but one we know is really good.

More like signing CJ Mosley this year as opposed to two years ago. Signing UDFA's are like having extra draft picks. 

If I remember correctly he was a beast in the Buff game and he got hurt covering in the end zone.  think about that, the guy broke-up a pass downfield and up to that point was the best player on the field. 

I doubt they trade him and like Joe12 said, he is a baller and would be a good solid vet presents on the D.... 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BCJet said:

As someone pointed out in a different thread, we will have $50+ million in cap space going into 2022, even with Mosleys contract so while it was an overpay, the team can afford it.

More importantly:  1.  We have 3 true LBs on this team, Mosley, Jarrad Davis and Blake Cashman - all 3 of which carry their own risks so moving mosley would leave a huge hole in the defense.  2.  While its very fair to question how quickly he can get up to speed after his time off, I think people are really stretching it by questioning his desire.  He basically bought himself an extra year of wear and tear on his body, rather then playing for a team that was epically bad and for a coach who was completely disassociated from his players.  

Mosely coming back at 85% of the player he was, is still a pro-bowl MLB who excels in zone coverage.  Until JD and Saleh see him on the field in TC, there is no reason to think they should trade him.

We can't afford his attitude.

13 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

In the half of football he played with the Jets D, he was spectacular. If I'm him, I am relieved that an injury and Covid allowed me to avoid wasting time playing for Gase. He's got a fresh start with a HC and DC who would love to make him the focal point of the D, and he gets to be a true MLB lining up behind a guy the O has to scheme to block in  Q. 

Both the Jets and Mosely should be pretty pumped about the current situation. I consider him as a new free agent signing since he really has yet to play an appreciable time for the team.

I'll consider it  a win if he is active.

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

According to OTC, it's a $12.5M Hit this year, and $5M savings next year.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/c.j.-mosley-14426/

• Addiitonal $8M of 2022 salary fully guarantees on 3/22/2021

So if the above is correct, it looks like one of those that didn’t have the full 3 years absolutely guaranteed, but they’re effectively guaranteed since Mosley had the lowest of chances of getting cut after just 1 season and paying the 1.5 guaranteed seasons instead of letting him play out 2 more seasons for another 0.5 season of guaranteed money. 

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  As of now he has $28M guaranteed.  Spotrac has guaranteed at $27.85M, not sure where the $150K difference comes from.

• $6M 2021 base
  • $16M 2022 base fully guaranteed ($8M guaranteed at signing, additonal $8M became fully guaranteed on 3/22/21).
  • $6M remaining on signing bonus

I assume team trading for him would pick up $22M base salaries, leaving us to absorb the $6M remaining on his signing bonus.  

That’s what I’d seen before. Like I just said above, all 3 years weren’t absolutely guaranteed at the time of signing, but it’d have taken something really unusual for him to not get it all no matter how badly he played. There’d have to be a personal reason.

Without looking much more closely, a low number like that could be any number of things. Could be NLTBE per-game bonuses (not likely, for years 2 or 3, because he was only active for 2 games I think in 2019). Could be a workout bonus. Regardless, such a low number is a rounding error at that point.