Jets post draft 2021 record predictions

Jets 2021 Record  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jets post draft record predictions

• 10-6 or better
    • 9-7
    • 8-8
    • 7-9 or worse

Wilson & Elijah Moore have a Baker/ Landry type mojo. Mims & Davis are his big play weapons down field. Points will avg. 26/game. 
It will be all about the D. this year. Can DL create pressure and keep ball in front of them? 4 wins in AFC East and we go 9-8. 

We are not very deep but our offense will be dramatically better even with a rookie QB, and our defense is a better fit for the players we have especially the CBs

Barring significant injuries I see us as a wildcard team. We also have a pretty easy schedule this year.

• Upvote 1

I'd be really disappointed in anything under 7. Especially with that schedule. 

The team has more than likely upgraded in literally every area. Including the two most important areas - QB and HC. There's not a position where I look and think we're worse. I actually think we're quite underrated in a lot of areas - There's some wildcards like Rankins, Mosley and Joyner who are extremely tough to predict - If even two of them get back to their best then you're looking a very good defence.

I love the fits on offence - Everyone is setup to succeed in that system. Zach will love the big bodied WR's on the outside, AVT and Carter will be perfect for the zone blocking scheme, Moore will be a guy we can constantly try and get into space. I really hope we keep Crowder as a safety valve - If we do this is our best offence since Fitz. 

I was more pessimistic than just about anyone heading into last season - The roster was bare and we were going to be relying on rookies and unproven guys seriously overperforming to be even competitive and to be fair some of them did. 

Obviously a lot depends on Zach. He may suck, he may just struggle in his first year but I still find it hard to believe he can worse than Darnold in this situation. 

That said if we're losing close games but Zach is balling out I'd still be encouraged going forward. I don't really care if our trash CB's are what cost us games, that's obviously a priority for down the line. The offence needs to be a night/day change from last year though. No excuses. 

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

like all Jets fans, I am predicting a losing season to protect my emotions when they have a losing season so I can pretend that yet another losing season is perfectly ok. 

Perfectly reasonable, we were a 2 win team last year and just had a prized young QB totally bust.  Being reasonable is itself reasonable.

With that said, we are NOT cursed.  There is no reason, logically, that our new young QB and new Coaching staff should suck at their jobs.

Saleh and crew are every well respected around the league, he was the top available Assistant this cycle.  The offensive and defensive systems have track records of success.

Wilson was, it seems, the unquestioned #2 QB available behind Lawrence, risks or not, and there should be every expectation that he comes into the league, and plays the way other rookie QB's have come in and played.  He's every bit the prospect those previous rookies were, so he should and can be held to the same expectations.

Even then, 7-10 is a very reasonable expectation fort this team this year.  

If Adam Gase could get the weak, depleted, and injured Mike Maccagnan 2019 Jets to a 7-win season then Robert Saleh better be able to get the improved, proportioned, and healthy Joe Douglas 2021 Jets to an 8-win season. 

He's got a quarterback with no baggage, a supportive fanbase, an easier schedule, and one extra home game.  8 wins isn't a prediction; it's an expectation.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rookie head coach, rookie offensive play caller, rookie qb.  

Can anyone give me a scenario where a team w/ this situation had a good season?

It's not something that happens very often.

We had two of them + f*cking Brian Schottenheimer and got to the AFC title game. John Harbough/Joe Flacco did the same. Mike Smith/Matt Ryan went 11-5 the same year.

The rookie play caller isn't a good enough excuse -These guys have been around football long enough to do their job. You expect some growing pains but it's a bit of a cop out to say it's an excuse for failure. 

21 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It's not something that happens very often.

We had two of them + f*cking Brian Schottenheimer and got to the AFC title game. John Harbough/Joe Flacco did the same. Mike Smith/Matt Ryan went 11-5 the same year.

The rookie play caller isn't a good enough excuse -These guys have been around football long enough to do their job. You expect some growing pains but it's a bit of a cop out to say it's an excuse for failure. 

There will be no failure.  They can win 5 games and its not a failure if they are being competitive in these games and showing promise and fight.

Vegas has us at 6.5 wins.  That is the expectation for this season.

I see us going slightly over that.  I say we get 7 or 8 wins.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There will be no failure.  They can win 5 games and its not a failure if they are being competitive in these games and showing promise and fight.

I'd agree with that but if it is a debacle with little improvement then I don't want to hear people talking about rookies as if that's an excuse.

I think we'll be much much better and I think we'll get to about the same. Not quite playoff ready yet but getting close to that level with another big off-season ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd agree with that but if it is a debacle with little improvement then I don't want to hear people talking about rookies as if that's an excuse.

I think we'll be much much better and I think we'll get to about the same. Not quite playoff ready yet but getting close to that level with another big off-season ahead. 

Agreed

This team will go as far as the defense takes it. I think the offense is going to make a massive improvement, but there are going to be a lot of growing pains at LB and CB... you have (3) starters learning a new defense and (2) Day 3 rookies learning new positions at linebacker. At cornerback, the Jets have (4) Douglas drafted and (2) promising UDFA - not to mention Isaiah Dunn, who the Jets spent a lot on - between 2020-21, (1) ST-only FA, and (1) preexisting draft pick who has shown flashes in Bless Austin. 

Teams typically only carry 5-7 corners, and while a lot can still happen, you have to figure 5 guys are likely to make the roster (Hall/Carter/Pinnock/Echols/Hardee). You would think Bless and Guidry would make it as well. If that were the case, there's probably no more room for veteran additions. Even if you say one draft pick gets stashed on the roster, your still out of room. Could it work? Sure. The 2011 Seattle Seahawks (first year of "Legion of Boom") had a bunch of Day 3/UDFA corners (Marcus Trufant, a former 1st round pick only played in 4 games), yet they were a top 10 passing defense. That's an optimistic view of things, but the probability these guys develop into that caliber unit is slim... that said, the plan from the beginning was to wait at CB; they were never taking a guy before the 3rd round this year by design, largely because Saleh and his group feel their scheme is better designed for certain players who the scouting communities have been trained into thinking less highly of those guys. Still, even if the Jets found a bunch of future starters, this group will probably end up being a painful this year, even in the cover 3, simply because of lack of experience. 

My guess is the team ends up winning 7 games. I think the offense will be a ball control unit, but will make a few big plays a game given Wilson's rare arm talent coupled with a crop of really explosive weapons at WR. The defense will struggle in year 1. They will have their moments, but the defensive line can only get them so far. 

Next year the Jets will invest a lot more into the defense. I would think at least 2 of their top 64 picks will be defenders, and they'll have the money to sign an impact player if they want to. At that point, I can really see this team being a 12+ win team. 

Really like where this team is headed, but have to temper expectations this season

When they were losing games every week, people celebrated. They were tanking for Trevor and Gase had to get fired 

Well the result is a roster of players who only know how to lose. It will take Saleh years to build a program. 

5 wins, max 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Vegas season totals are vehicles to separate Homers from their nuclear power plant paychecks 

Somewhere in the bowels of the Hilton superbook there's a nerd with a spreadsheet that predicts 1 less win than every line on the board. 

I always predict 10-6 every year, but I'm not going that route this season.

We have to generate pressure on QBs to alleviate the strain on our DBs. Hopefully the roster and staff here is enough for that to happen.

ZW just needs to minimize his mistakes and the CS needs to be smart with him.

So 10-6 is probably not happening....

I'm saying 10-7 this time.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, football guy said:

This team will go as far as the defense takes it. I think the offense is going to make a massive improvement, but there are going to be a lot of growing pains at LB and CB... you have (3) starters learning a new defense and (2) Day 3 rookies learning new positions at linebacker. At cornerback, the Jets have (4) Douglas drafted and (2) promising UDFA - not to mention Isaiah Dunn, who the Jets spent a lot on - between 2020-21, (1) ST-only FA, and (1) preexisting draft pick who has shown flashes in Bless Austin. 

Teams typically only carry 5-7 corners, and while a lot can still happen, you have to figure 5 guys are likely to make the roster (Hall/Carter/Pinnock/Echols/Hardee). You would think Bless and Guidry would make it as well. If that were the case, there's probably no more room for veteran additions. Even if you say one draft pick gets stashed on the roster, your still out of room. Could it work? Sure. The 2011 Seattle Seahawks (first year of "Legion of Boom") had a bunch of Day 3/UDFA corners (Marcus Trufant, a former 1st round pick only played in 4 games), yet they were a top 10 passing defense. That's an optimistic view of things, but the probability these guys develop into that caliber unit is slim... that said, the plan from the beginning was to wait at CB; they were never taking a guy before the 3rd round this year by design, largely because Saleh and his group feel their scheme is better designed for certain players who the scouting communities have been trained into thinking less highly of those guys. Still, even if the Jets found a bunch of future starters, this group will probably end up being a painful this year, even in the cover 3, simply because of lack of experience. 

My guess is the team ends up winning 7 games. I think the offense will be a ball control unit, but will make a few big plays a game given Wilson's rare arm talent coupled with a crop of really explosive weapons at WR. The defense will struggle in year 1. They will have their moments, but the defensive line can only get them so far. 

Next year the Jets will invest a lot more into the defense. I would think at least 2 of their top 64 picks will be defenders, and they'll have the money to sign an impact player if they want to. At that point, I can really see this team being a 12+ win team. 

Really like where this team is headed, but have to temper expectations this season

I think it's gonna take a while for the team to get up to speed. The zone systems they're installing on both sides of the ball require a lot of teamwork. It's hard to get that down when you're still trying to figure out who your starters are. That's obviously a bigger issue in the secondary, but they will want to get that RG spot ironed out ASAP. 

I'm optimistic about the future of the offense, but I just think the rookie head coach, rookie coordinator, rookie QB, and two/three more rookies expected to make major contributions... I just think it's way too much to expect them to hit the ground running. Of course the Jets change coaches in a year that not only doesn't have the extra weeks of practice for new coaches (covid), but also only have three preseason games to try to put it all together. 

• Upvote 2