Crazy question: Would you take Rodgers for a year or two?

Sort of a ridiculous question, I know, but would you take him in a trade, play him for a year or two and let Zach sit and learn?  Rodgers says he's going to retire if they don' trade him.  Yes, he's a mental case, but he is still near the top of his game.   We probably have the cap room.

Personally, I would not, as I believe we are moving in the right direction with Wilson and the young core.  I also want to use our draft picks on young players.  Also, definitely not Douglas's style to make a big splash move for a veteran big star. 

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

You can’t just propose a ridiculous question and then argue against it. 

I just did it.

I think I was implying that maybe it isn't as crazy as it might at first appear.  But he wouldn't do it and I like Zach and I can't shift gears that quickly.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

The 09 jets yes

Don’t forget his family feud. 

might be biggest ass in sports 

No one knows anything about the family feud. Not sure why everyone pings Aaron for that. Knowing what we know about Aaron and the way he thinks and the way he acts, I have a sneaky suspicion that he's actually not the bad guy and is probably just protecting the rest of his family even though he knows they're in the wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is like saying 'Would you like a Ferrari?" before looking at the price tag.

This.

It'd depend on how much we'd need to give up for him. I ain't giving up any 1st round picks for what would likely be a rental. Nor would I give up any of our young, "building block" players. Another caveat is that I don't know what his current contract looks like.

While I like the idea of Wilson sitting for a bit the question is, does sitting behind Aaron Rodgers make Zach Wilson any better of a QB than sitting behind Nick Foles?

I think not.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No 

If he isn't happy with the GB roster what makes anyone think he would be happy with the NY Jets roster. 

It’s about location not talent.  He and his wife want to be in CA or NYC.  It’s fake outrage.  He wants out.  

• Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is like saying 'Would you like a Ferrari?" before looking at the price tag.

Nah. 

This is like saying "would you like to rent a ferrari for full price?".... but you currently have a Lamborghini in the driveway that's never been driven and has a 4 year warranty. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No one knows anything about the family feud. Not sure why everyone pings Aaron for that. Knowing what we know about Aaron and the way he thinks and the way he acts, I have a sneaky suspicion that he's actually not the bad guy and is probably just protecting the rest of his family even though he knows they're in the wrong. 

The whole family is wrong but Aaron is right 

ok

Giants-Packers Aaron Rodgers trade

Updated 12:34 PM; Today 12:05 PM 
NFL Week 13: Green Bay Packers at New York Giants

Would the New York Giants replace quarterback Daniel Jones (8, left) with Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (12)?Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

To dream the impossible dream.

What would it take for New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman to go full Don Quixote and start tilting at windmills? In this case, just substitute windmills with trade rumors blowing in the breeze about the future of Green Bay Packersquarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers, the three-time NFL MVP wants out of Green Bay, and though the Giants seem set at quarterback with Daniel Jones, you can never say never. At least, that’s what ESPN thought when it ranked seven “realistic suitors” for a Rodgers trade, with the Giants listed at No. 4:

Packers get: 2022 first-round pick, 2022 first-round pick (from Bears), 2023 first-round pick (conditional), WR Darius Slayton

Giants get: Rodgers

No. 

A critical advantage of going all in on a rookie QB you believe in is that he costs next to nothing for the next 3-4 years. The idea is that possibly by year 2, and definitely by year 3, your young QB is an above average NFL starter and you have built a competitive roster around him that can contend - potentially giving you a leg up on teams that have to pay their QB top dollar. 

Bringing in a 38 year old Rodgers to play with a rebuilding team for the next two years makes no sense

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Giants-Packers Aaron Rodgers trade

Updated 12:34 PM; Today 12:05 PM 
NFL Week 13: Green Bay Packers at New York Giants

Would the New York Giants replace quarterback Daniel Jones (8, left) with Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (12)?Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

To dream the impossible dream.

What would it take for New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman to go full Don Quixote and start tilting at windmills? In this case, just substitute windmills with trade rumors blowing in the breeze about the future of Green Bay Packersquarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers, the three-time NFL MVP wants out of Green Bay, and though the Giants seem set at quarterback with Daniel Jones, you can never say never. At least, that’s what ESPN thought when it ranked seven “realistic suitors” for a Rodgers trade, with the Giants listed at No. 4:

Packers get: 2022 first-round pick, 2022 first-round pick (from Bears), 2023 first-round pick (conditional), WR Darius Slayton

Giants get: Rodgers

I gotta say, I wouldn't pay 3 firsts for any 38 year old player, I don't care if he's Aaron frikkin' Rogers.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It's an interesting conundrum.  How do you value Rodgers with 2 or so years left?  How do you value a QB on a rookie deal in juxtaposition? 

If the Packers proposed Rodgers for Wilson straight up, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Because I don't believe in Wilson.  But a strong case can be made that Wilson is the more valuable asset based on what it would mean for the Jets if he indeed has the goods while on a cheap rookie deal. 

An elite franchise QB is nearly a priceless asset.  A high end young franchise QB is worth a bunch of 1st round picks.  If Wilson truly belongs in either category, he carries much more value than Rodgers.  He's only LESS valuable than Rodgers if it was somehow determined ahead of time that Wilson is merely a capable starter or worse.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If we were an Aaron Rodgers away from being a superbowl contender, sure. We're not.

Counterpoint:  If we acquired Aaron Rodgers today, suddenly the top remaining free agents and 2022 FA's would be clamoring to come here and the "rebuild" would get completed overnight.  We'd be a contender no later than 2022.

Counterpoint to that:  In a dream scenario where Wilson throws up a Herbert or near-Herbert performance as a rookie, the same goal would be accomplished.  Except that Wilson would have 4 years left on his rookie deal whereas Rodgers would have one, maybe 2 legitimate shots left at a SB before heading to Jeopardy.

And around and around we go.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's an interesting conundrum.  How do you value Rodgers with 2 or so years left?  How do you value a QB on a rookie deal in juxtaposition? 

If the Packers proposed Rodgers for Wilson straight up, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Because I don't believe in Wilson.  But a strong case can be made that Wilson is the more valuable asset based on what it would mean for the Jets if he indeed has the goods while on a cheap rookie deal..  

Just to piggy back off the bolded - I think the Jets need to become a franchise that is capable of developing an upper echelon NFL QB. That's how you get to experience a decade of prosperity, filled with division titles, home playoff games, and dare I say, a SB championship. Everything else is short term success or worse. No more veteran band-aids. 

I want to see us do everything we can to help Wilson succeed and eventually live up to his potential. And, if we fails, I want to draft his replacement in 3 years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Sort of a ridiculous question, I know, but would you take him in a trade, play him for a year or two and let Zach sit and learn?  Rodgers says he's going to retire if they don' trade him.  Yes, he's a mental case, but he is still near the top of his game.   We probably have the cap room.

Personally, I would not, as I believe we are moving in the right direction with Wilson and the young core.  I also want to use our draft picks on young players.  Also, definitely not Douglas's style to make a big splash move for a veteran big star. 

of course. It would be great for the team. Let wilson learn...be competitive and probably win a SB. 

OUr coaching staff as of right now is capable of runing the system with our a good QB, you add a great one and the system becomes amazing...

the RB's we have will go from good to great, the passing off will go to great...our def will play better being rested.

Literally there is no downside other than having to pay the QB, QB numbers....numbers we can afford because we dont have any high dollar players on the roster.

IN 3 year Wilson takes over. or next year we trade him for picks after a SB.

I mean it wont happen but our team is much better shape that green bay. C Davis c/'mon ma  you know what i mean>

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Counterpoint:  If we acquired Aaron Rodgers today, suddenly the top remaining free agents and 2022 FA's would be clamoring to come here and the "rebuild" would get completed overnight.  We'd be a contender no later than 2022.

Counterpoint to that:  In a dream scenario where Wilson throws up a Herbert or near-Herbert performance as a rookie, the same goal would be accomplished.  Except that Wilson would have 4 years left on his rookie deal whereas Rodgers would have one, maybe 2 legitimate shots left at a SB before heading to Jeopardy.

And around and around we go.

counter counter point Herbert lost games that rogers wins. we can afford rogers for a couple years...and he would lift the team.