Jump to content

Anyone else expecting all these players in for OTA’s now?


Recommended Posts

Broncos player about to lose 20mil because he listened to his dopey union and switched his workouts to be private.

SMH....was always a dumb idea that basically accomplished nothing, in act i think owners love the fact that they can save some coin.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Broncos player about to lose 20mil because he listened to his dopey union and switched his workouts to be private.

SMH....was always a dumb idea that basically accomplished nothing, in act i think owners love the fact that they can save some coin.

I thought the union told players to skip OTA's which are voluntary.

This isnt the same thing

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought the union told players to skip OTA's which are voluntary.

This isnt the same thing

No,  the union does not want players at team facilities period. James was actually working out at Broncos HQ but stopped to align with the union request

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bgivs21 said:

No,  the union does not want players at team facilities period. James was actually working out at Broncos HQ but stopped to align with the union request

Exactly, they have contract language that if they work out away from the team facility and get hurt the team can void their deal (or something like that, i am sure its more complicated).

point is, the union is sore over that deal THEY made at the last CBA and as result are screwing over their own players.

Anyways, these guys are not dumb...the NFL i am sure will use this guy to set an example and then...I expect them at the facility.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the teams are going to be super discrete about talking about who has shown up so as to minimize strife with the union.  I don't think we will seeing all those videos of every low draft pick showing up at the facility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm being obtuse but isn't it extremely common for NFL players to work out off site? Most of these guys don't live in their NFL cities in the offseason.

I assumed these types of voids were for guys who get injured playing pickup basketball or in an ATV accident or something.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Exactly, they have contract language that if they work out away from the team facility and get hurt the team can void their deal (or something like that, i am sure its more complicated).

point is, the union is sore over that deal THEY made at the last CBA and as result are screwing over their own players.

Anyways, these guys are not dumb...the NFL i am sure will use this guy to set an example and then...I expect them at the facility.

A couple of things here are wrong. The NFL, in response to the Union telling players not to show up to voluntary workouts, clarified that if a player got hurt working out away from the facility it now would void guaranteed money just like if they got hurt riding a Jet ski. There has always been a policy in place but was never enforced bc players have always worked out away from the facility in order to stay in shape during the offseason. 

Also, this is not about a "bad deal" that the Union agreed to. The Union did this in response the nfl taking away all of the Covid protections that were in place last year at team facilities to protect the players during the offseason and season. The Union wanted those protections to be put back in place before the players returned for voluntary workouts or they would ask the players not to show up to the workouts. I don't blame the Union for that one bit. The bad guy in this scenario is the NFL. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lith said:
This exchange between Schefter and Jason sums up the issue pretty well.

 

DeMaurice Smith is a nice guy.  He is a horrible negotiator and union head.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, choon328 said:

A couple of things here are wrong. The NFL, in response to the Union telling players not to show up to voluntary workouts, clarified that if a player got hurt working out away from the facility it now would void guaranteed money just like if they got hurt riding a Jet ski. There has always been a policy in place but was never enforced bc players have always worked out away from the facility in order to stay in shape during the offseason. 

Also, this is not about a "bad deal" that the Union agreed to. The Union did this in response the nfl taking away all of the Covid protections that were in place last year at team facilities to protect the players during the offseason and season. The Union wanted those protections to be put back in place before the players returned for voluntary workouts or they would ask the players not to show up to the workouts. I don't blame the Union for that one bit. The bad guy in this scenario is the NFL. 

At the same time though, if the union is going to direct players not to work out at team facilities, they have to be prepared for these scenarios. Not saying it’s right or wrong, i understand the covid concern. But now we have readily available vaccines, and have over a year’s worth of data on the virus.

 

If I were in their shoes, I’d be more comfortable working out at a team facility because of the access to top medical staffs.  I work for a medical clinic, and I feel incredibly comfortable at work everyday because Dr’s are running the show and making sure all preventive measures are up to par

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

No,  the union does not want players at team facilities period. James was actually working out at Broncos HQ but stopped to align with the union request

These arent mandatory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, choon328 said:

A couple of things here are wrong. The NFL, in response to the Union telling players not to show up to voluntary workouts, clarified that if a player got hurt working out away from the facility it now would void guaranteed money just like if they got hurt riding a Jet ski. There has always been a policy in place but was never enforced bc players have always worked out away from the facility in order to stay in shape during the offseason. 

Also, this is not about a "bad deal" that the Union agreed to. The Union did this in response the nfl taking away all of the Covid protections that were in place last year at team facilities to protect the players during the offseason and season. The Union wanted those protections to be put back in place before the players returned for voluntary workouts or they would ask the players not to show up to the workouts. I don't blame the Union for that one bit. The bad guy in this scenario is the NFL. 

yeah because the players are much safer at home, or with other players at a remote site, or whatever non team facility they are in. this is nonsense and posturing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

These arent mandatory.

It doesn't matter. The Union has drawn a line in the sand and said they dont want players at team facilities for anything in the off season. Players have to workout somewhere in the off season. 

All the union has accomplished with this plan is open up players to situations like James. And screw over younger/ roster bubble players whose contracts have $$$ tied to going to OTAs and such. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I have no idea if he's really a 'nice' guy. He seems like an arrogant dope. His strategy has been antagonization.. he tried negotiating a deal on money ignoring several major issues then tried to sue the league on those issues after the deal. His lawsuits failed and players got borked. 

Every deal he's negotiated has been awful for the players. The union sounds more like a political party than a business entity and gets similar results. Smith (and JC Tretter...he shouldn't get off scott free on this) seems to be one of the worst with worrying more about securing himself in that position over getting actual results. 

He's prioritized being antagonistic to the league for vague reasons. This isn't a political vote. The court of public opinion has little impact on the outcome. Not to mention, it's millionaires vs. billionaires so neither side it likely to garner major sympathy/support... and he's somehow managed to lose that war anyway as the public generally seems to think the players are lazy/whiny. 

He's also thrown the majority of his membership under the bus to focus on the few players who get the top end deals. He's weakened the union to such a degree that the owners start high fiving anytime they start a negotiation. I have no idea why players haven't kicked him to the curb.

It's unfortunate because a strong player union that can go toe to toe with the league makes for a better game and benefits the fans. 

That's one of the problems. The union leadership isn't doing this because of covid. It's a ploy. They're trying to get something they didn't negotiate for due to their own inept abilities. So now they're using the situation to try to makeup for their mistake and hurting their players. 

If you were going to do this...why didn't the union work out a plan for players who end up injured? Sounds to me like something a union should do.. make sure it's members are cared for.. instead they wanted so badly to try to stick it to the league (without getting their membership on board) that they forged ahead with this plan with no preparation. 

A competent union would have realized that NFL teams tend to operate some of the best facilities in the world. They should have worked with the league and gone in with a more measured approach, but Maurice Smith (and JC Ttretter) are not competent. They're much more interested in playing out their own fantasies over getting results for their members. 

 

Yes. This is especially true this offseason, when they're basically asking UDFAs and low-drafted players to torch their own careers (by not showing for minicamps and OTAs) to make a point. It's labor malpractice

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

It doesn't matter. The Union has drawn a line in the sand and said they dont want players at team facilities for anything in the off season. Players have to workout somewhere in the off season. 

All the union has accomplished with this plan is open up players to situations like James. And screw over younger/ roster bubble players whose contracts have $$$ tied to going to OTAs and such. 

They have told players to miss mandatory workouts and camp?

Where was this written?  What I read is they've told players to stay away from OTAs.  I could be wrong about players staying away but if players stay out of mandatory workouts, they're holdouts who will be fined each and every day they sit out.  

 

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

They have told players to miss mandatory workouts and camp?

Where was this written?  What I read is they've told players to stay away from OTAs.  I could be wrong about players staying away but if players stay out of mandatory workouts, they're holdouts who will be fined each and every day they sit out.  

 

 

 

I never said they told players to stay away from anything mandatory or camps. 

The union has clearly stated that they want players to stay away from team facilities in the off season. This opens players up to situations like James is currently in. He's probably going to lose out on 10 mil this season because he was doing box jumps at his local crossfit instead of at the Broncos facility. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, k-met57 said:

yeah because the players are much safer at home, or with other players at a remote site, or whatever non team facility they are in. this is nonsense and posturing. 

Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment for their employees. And of course this is posturing, on both sides. What you are going to start seeing is a bunch of players refusing to put workout clauses in their contracts, not ever attending voluntary workouts and then showing up out of shape on purpose. Once this stunt by the nfl starts hurting the teams, their chances of winning and their revenue, the nfl will back off. The point of a Union is to not back down to the employers and to fight for their employees rights how they see fit. If they continue down this road and the nfl keeps trying to bully the players there will be a work stoppage and a push by the players to start their own player driven league funded by networks instead of individual owners. That's a guarantee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment for their employees. And of course this is posturing, on both sides. What you are going to start seeing is a bunch of players refusing to put workout clauses in their contracts, not ever attending voluntary workouts and then showing up out of shape on purpose. Once this stunt by the nfl starts hurting the teams, their chances of winning and their revenue, the nfl will back off. The point of a Union is to not back down to the employers and to fight for their employees rights how they see fit. If they continue down this road and the nfl keeps trying to bully the players there will be a work stoppage and a push by the players to start their own player driven league funded by networks instead of individual owners. That's a guarantee. 

"Showing up out of shape on purpose"?  

Yeah if they do that, unless they are the 5-10% of the league that is uncutable because of bloated contracts, they might as well bring their applications for McDonalds asst. mangers along with them when they report.

The young hungry guys who were in will take their jobs, and make management very happy.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

I never said they told players to stay away from anything mandatory or camps. 

The union has clearly stated that they want players to stay away from team facilities in the off season. This opens players up to situations like James is currently in. He's probably going to lose out on 10 mil this season because he was doing box jumps at his local crossfit instead of at the Broncos facility. 

Hes a different situation because his contract specifically deals with this.  So yes the union did him wrong, not hes out money, not the union.

My point was just that the heading, the question over OTAs isnt the same, no one has go go to OTAs.  If a player is one of the few who have bonuses tied to showing up to OTAs and they sit home, they're morons who deserve whatever they get.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment for their employees. And of course this is posturing, on both sides. What you are going to start seeing is a bunch of players refusing to put workout clauses in their contracts, not ever attending voluntary workouts and then showing up out of shape on purpose. Once this stunt by the nfl starts hurting the teams, their chances of winning and their revenue, the nfl will back off. The point of a Union is to not back down to the employers and to fight for their employees rights how they see fit. If they continue down this road and the nfl keeps trying to bully the players there will be a work stoppage and a push by the players to start their own player driven league funded by networks instead of individual owners. That's a guarantee. 

haha yeah because the NFL always loses these things....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes. This is especially true this offseason, when they're basically asking UDFAs and low-drafted players to torch their own careers (by not showing for minicamps and OTAs) to make a point. It's labor malpractice

I think it's also a side effect of all the non-contact practices and other offseason opportunities for younger guys on the bubble to make an impression on the coaching staff. 

The additional injuries may or may not be a thing. Maybe it's cause & effect; maybe it's just an easy thing to point at being the cause; I don't know really. Then again, the more injuries there are the more opportunities that open up. Probably that's not a good reason, though.

But this is a move that so obviously favors established/returning players by limiting practices, time with the coaches, and extra instruction from the ones that would benefit the most. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, choon328 said:

Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment for their employees. And of course this is posturing, on both sides. What you are going to start seeing is a bunch of players refusing to put workout clauses in their contracts, not ever attending voluntary workouts and then showing up out of shape on purpose. Once this stunt by the nfl starts hurting the teams, their chances of winning and their revenue, the nfl will back off. The point of a Union is to not back down to the employers and to fight for their employees rights how they see fit. If they continue down this road and the nfl keeps trying to bully the players there will be a work stoppage and a push by the players to start their own player driven league funded by networks instead of individual owners. That's a guarantee. 

Or they can just show up and do their jobs. Jesus christ, the defense of outright laziness to make some non existent point is bizarre. They are getting paid millions...they have few rules that have to follow- one of which is to work out at the teams facility. 

There is a zero point zero percent chance the players go start their own league because they're upset they have to report to their facility. You think fans are going to support that? lol

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just fkn get the shot everybody, it’s available everywhere now 🤦‍♂️ 

To live in a time where the miracles of science have come up with a cure for what could have become the scourge of the world for the next 20 years and to have people dumb enough not to take it.

Everybody just shut up and get the fkn shot and all this nonsense goes away - we all get to go back to our normal lives.

If I ran some sh*t I’d make it mandatory. If you don’t have the capacity to understand how amazing it is then I don’t want you working for me. Get the shot and get back to work.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Just fkn get the shot everybody, it’s available everywhere now 🤦‍♂️ 

To live in a time where the miracles of science have come up with a cure for what could have become the scourge of the world for the next 20 years and to have people dumb enough not to take it.

Everybody just shut up and get the fkn shot and all this nonsense goes away - we all get to go back to our normal lives.

If I ran some sh*t I’d make it mandatory. If you don’t have the capacity to understand how amazing it is then I don’t want you working for me. Get the shot and get back to work.

Amen, get the dang shot.  I'm 50 and it didn't do s#$% to me.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes. This is especially true this offseason, when they're basically asking UDFAs and low-drafted players to torch their own careers (by not showing for minicamps and OTAs) to make a point. It's labor malpractice

Bingo, from the moment it was announced, this was clearly some of the most uncomfortably biased negotiations imaginable being forced onto many who would never support it if given the choice.  It's a supposed union that was actively looking to sacrifice one set of players who need their help the absolute most, for the benefit to fulfill the laziness of those who are already sitting pretty.

Even if none of these most recent issues came up, the only outcome of this was that established veterans would be even more firmly cemented in their roles while doing nothing to deserve that, as they would reap the benefits of those who are any degree of bubble players being deliberately sacrificed.

But hey, at least us fans would also get to experience yet another year of an unquestionably far worse product as a result of it all, right?

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, choon328 said:

A couple of things here are wrong. The NFL, in response to the Union telling players not to show up to voluntary workouts, clarified that if a player got hurt working out away from the facility it now would void guaranteed money just like if they got hurt riding a Jet ski. There has always been a policy in place but was never enforced bc players have always worked out away from the facility in order to stay in shape during the offseason. 

Also, this is not about a "bad deal" that the Union agreed to. The Union did this in response the nfl taking away all of the Covid protections that were in place last year at team facilities to protect the players during the offseason and season. The Union wanted those protections to be put back in place before the players returned for voluntary workouts or they would ask the players not to show up to the workouts. I don't blame the Union for that one bit. The bad guy in this scenario is the NFL. 

You need to educate yourself before you open your mouth.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetsrule1969 said:

You need to educate yourself before you open your mouth.

Lol, educate myself? Maybe you should just keep your mouth shut. I know recently people like you have thought its been ok to just be rude and ignorant but it's not. So instead of being a jerk and responding to me with your nonsense just concentrate on the road as you drive your house to the next Walmart parking lot. I have zero time for stupidity and ignorance. Move the **** along. I'm tired of arguing with idiots on here who have nothing better to do then be rude and pick internet arguments. Get a job and leave me the **** alone. Thanks,  God Bless!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Or they can just show up and do their jobs. Jesus christ, the defense of outright laziness to make some non existent point is bizarre. They are getting paid millions...they have few rules that have to follow- one of which is to work out at the teams facility. 

There is a zero point zero percent chance the players go start their own league because they're upset they have to report to their facility. You think fans are going to support that? lol

 

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? It's expressly NOT a job requirement that they show up or work out at the team's facility. How can you keep making this same stupid mistake every time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? It's expressly NOT a job requirement that they show up or work out at the team's facility. How can you keep making this same stupid mistake every time?

guy gets hurt off site and costs himself a ton of money. Sounds like he should have shown up. But keep fighting, man.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

guy gets hurt off site and costs himself a ton of money. Sounds like he should have shown up. But keep fighting, man.

You understand that's a completely different point than "It'S a JoB rEqUiReMeNt To Be At ThE fAcIlItY", right? Like ... in your brain, are those the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...