Thank you Jamal Adams! New York Jets score rare NFL draft trifecta with top picks

4 minutes ago, Bronx said:

We struck gold and detoxed the locker room environment. The team is working with Marcus Maye, so I think that JD is complementing retention of good players. Jamie Dawg was just a yeast infection that needed to be flushed out of the system.

My comment is beyond Jamal. In general this is a team that unloads talent to get "positioned for the future." When all you do is prepare for the future, it never comes.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

My comment is beyond Jamal. In general this is a team that unloads talent to get "positioned for the future." When all you do is prepare for the future, it never comes.

That's why I mentioned Marcus Maye, but won't be surprised if JD follows the Ravens and Colts mold by maintaining draft capital flexibility. On the other hand, if Saleh and company perform well, good players would probably sign cap-friendly contracts to stay with the team.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Of those six highly-graded players in 2005 and 2008, only two made the Pro Bowl -- left tackle Jake Long (four times) and running back Ronnie Brown (once). The others were disappointments -- defensive end Phillip Merling, quarterback Chad Henne, defensive end Matt Roth and linebacker Channing Crowder. Miami made the playoffs in 2008, their only postseason appearance from 2005 to 2015.

Yeah so the title of the article should be Draft experts are morons! 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jgb said:

At some point to take a step forward we need to stop viewing our pro bowl players as currency for more magic beans draft picks. That's an endless cycle where "tomorrow is always a season away."

Annie [UK Import]: Amazon.de: Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn,  Bernadette Peters, Ann Reinking, John Huston, Albert Finney, Carol Burnett,  Ray Stark, Rastar Films, Inc.: DVD & Blu-ray

Jamal was a cancer.  Plus the return we got was well worth it 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Jamal who forced his way out, Leo who was a underachiever who was going to need a new deal and who else, does Darnold qualify as talent?  

• Upvote 4

Yes thank you jamallpro for playing at a level worth that kind of compensation 

you didn’t express your desire to win or get paid in an acceptable manner however. 

I’m sure none of the new players have social media distractions 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I agree. I thought we should have kept Jamal for that reason. Looking back, it was a great trade for us. Our safety room still looks plenty strong.

Aside from Jamal, the only other guy that fits the bill is Robby. He’s a good player but doesn’t have the toughness we seem to want from our WRs.

Marcus Maye should get signed though. He’s a good player who fits the culture we want. Joe D has to get that deal done. I think it should be a priority get him signed before training camp.

Like you said, this stuff goes back years. Part of the problem is that we kept drafting DTs.

• Upvote 2

We struck gold and detoxed the locker room environment. The team is working with Marcus Maye, so I think that JD is complementing retention of good players. Jamie Dawg was just a yeast infection that needed to be flushed out of the system.
I feel you ... but wasnt our defense ranked like 32 last year .. seemed that way ... especially the secondary.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Agreed here.  The future just HAS to be QW and Becton.  And maybe, just maybe, Wilson.  A lot to ask, I know.

• Upvote 1

Jamal was a stud I wanted to hang onto until he started kicking and screaming to get out.

I am happy with the compensation and hope we can retain some of the talent we draft.

The deal is this ... once the team starts winning, players start talking, the QB is consistantly awesome ... players will restructure to stay here.

I am hopeful that Jamal will look back w/ envy once Seattle returns to the sewer level it came from. Wilson is hamstringing that team and it's become less of a destination spot for stars ... the luster has left and the Legion of Boom is gone.

Carroll is a decent coach that got lucky with Russell.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yes thank you jamallpro for playing at a level worth that kind of compensation 

you didn’t express your desire to win or get paid in an acceptable manner however. 

I’m sure none of the new players have social media distractions 

I thought we were supposed to stop talking about Jamal and instead only talk about Norse women?  What happened Larz?  Needed your opportunity to be nauseatingly pretentious one more time, eh?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Counterpoint:  At some point, we have to draft players worth paying.  Which I suppose isn't so different from what you're saying above, except we disagree on Adams' worth to the Jets.

Hopefully Quinnen Williams and Mekhi Becton are 2 of several recent draftees who fall into this category.  Stay healthy, big fellas.

I didn't want Jamal traded because I doubted he'd return the value he did. At that price, no complaints here.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Jamal who forced his way out, Leo who was a underachiever who was going to need a new deal and who else, does Darnold qualify as talent?  

Using premium picks to draft DT after DT to avoid paying the last one(s) is really what I'm talking about. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

And who would they be? Is this another "we should have retained Robbie Anderson" post? Which mediocre overrated players should the Jets have dropped multiple years and big coin on? Should the Jets be paying Jamal 20 mil per to run his mouth and make the occasional too little too late splash play that is nothing more than fool's gold?

Again, my post is general. I'm not arguing every single player should be retained. Picking one strong case to unload a player (Jamal) does nothing to address my point.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

If Joe Douglas is following his mentor's model, they probably won't look to pay a lot of guys. The QB, the LT, definitely, not so sure about the DT, though. What he'll be looking to do, and he did a lot of it on defense this year, is fill the pipeline with players ready to step when it's time to let starters go. If Vera-Tucker and Becton are both All Pros, for example, it becomes really hard to pay the left side of your offensive line >$40M/year. Nice problem to have, obviously, but in that scenario you probably only pay Becton, let the other guy move on (or trade him), and replace him with a second year guard ready to step up. 

The good teams know when to let players go. The Steelers are particularly good at it. The Pats, too. And that's how you work the comp pick game so that you get even more picks to have more players in that pipeline. Again, nice problem to have, but that's where they're looking to get with five top 100 picks again next year - having more good players than you can afford to pay. 

Fair points.  You're absolutely right about the general philosophy, and I do agree that while Becton is a must to end up paying (unless we got a Tunsil-esque package of picks, and maybe not even then), QW is less necessary to pay.

I guess combining our takes, the point was to say we need to hope these guys (and some other promising/high potential recent draftees, preferably at premium positions, like Wilson, Mims, Bryce Hall, etc) become foundational pieces regardless so we start getting that pipeline of guys worth paying, and a pipeline of guys who net us comp picks or solid trades.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

That’s a two sided coin.  At some point a losing franchise has to move on from pro bowl caliber players who’s impact on the team actually winning is nominal and accumulate value to rebuild.   

Football is a team game with a cap.  We got great value for a low impact “pro bowl” player looking to break the pay scale for his position.  Until we are at the point where retention is more valuable criticizing management for what was a great move to improve the team feels like SOJ. 

We've been under the cap by tens of millions for several straight years. Woody's doing fine. Let's try spending for a change lest we fall into Einstein's definition of "insanity."

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Counterpoint:  At some point, we have to draft players worth paying.  Which I suppose isn't so different from what you're saying above, except we disagree on Adams' worth to the Jets.

Hopefully Quinnen Williams and Mekhi Becton are 2 of several recent draftees who fall into this category.  Stay healthy, big fellas.

That’s really the problem. We don’t know how to draft. We used 1st on non premium players and couldn’t draft outside the 1st. We didn’t sign Sheldon Richardson because we had a strong interior DL including Leo Williams. We traded Leo Williams because we had a strong interior DL including Q. It’s nuts that we kept using 1st on the iDL. And it just so happens that we only hit on guys on the iDL.

But it goes back further. Not wanting to sign Revis. He was an ass. Ok fine. We hardballed Leon Washington. We traded away Vilma. Scheme change. Always an excuse. Laveranues Coles?

The key going forward is to use premium picks on positions where we will be willing to sign guys to big money contracts. OL, QB, Edge, WR and Corner. Joe Douglas is on the right track.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

image.png.b2a8d095713085b8dec82a549d7b59be.png

"I'm not a little crying bitch"- JAMIE DAWG ADAMS

Scouting service: New York Jets score rare NFL draft trifecta with top picks

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- At various points during the 2021 NFL draft, New York Jets officials were seen hugging and high-fiving on video released by the team. They weren't the only ones excited.

Often questioned on their draft-day decisions, the Jets received high marks from draft experts on their three-day performance. It was one of the best in recent memory, according to Scouts Inc., which evaluates drafts prospects for ESPN.com.

The Jets drafted three players with a grade of 90 or above, something that had not been done since the 2008 Miami Dolphins. Scouts, Inc. has been grading players since 2004. The only other time a team pulled a 90-hat trick was the 2005 Dolphins.

In this year's draft, only 16 players received a 90 grade. The Jets selected BYU quarterback Zach Wilson (93) with the No. 2 overall pick, USC guard Alijah Vera-Tucker (91) at No. 14 after trading up and Ole Miss wide receiver Elijah Moore (90) with the 34th pick.

Three out of 16 -- not bad. On the Jets' draft board, the trio was ranked in the top 25, according to general manager Joe Douglas.

"We're excited about the competition we're going to create, we're excited about the depth that we added, so I do feel like we improved ourselves throughout this offseason and the offseason isn't over until training camp starts," Douglas said. "There's more opportunities to improve this team, improve this roster. We're going to take it."

That the Jets had three picks in the top 34 certainly improved their chances of landing highly-graded players. They can thank Jamal Adams for that. If the star safety hadn't complained last offseason, forcing his way out of town, the Jets wouldn't have dealt him to the Seattle Seahawks for a package that included first- and third-round picks in 2021 and a first-round pick in 2022.

Douglas took the 2021 picks (23, 66 and 86) and used them to trade up nine spots to grab Vera-Tucker. It was costly -- they missed out on a potential starting cornerback in Round 3 -- but the Jets considered Vera-Tucker a top-10 talent, a future star.

Time will tell, but none of that happens without the Adams trade. That extra draft capital put Douglas in an aggressive mood, and he didn't want to sit on his hands and watch a highly-ranked player land with another team. A source with a team picking ahead of the Jets' original position (23) said his team would have taken Vera-Tucker.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. gave the Jets an A- in his post-draft grades, noting that he, too, had Wilson, Vera-Tucker and Moore ranked in his top 16.

"That's tremendous and is part of the reason this grade is so high, though they did have to surrender a third-round pick in the Round 1 trade up to get Vera-Tucker," Kiper said. "Wilson already has better weapons to throw to and a better offensive line than [Sam] Darnold ever had in New York."

For a change, the Jets, with a GM and a coach working in lockstep, seem to be heading in the right direction. The disclaimer is that high draft grades guarantee nothing. For proof, look no further than those Miami teams.

Of those six highly-graded players in 2005 and 2008, only two made the Pro Bowl -- left tackle Jake Long (four times) and running back Ronnie Brown (once). The others were disappointments -- defensive end Phillip Merling, quarterback Chad Henne, defensive end Matt Roth and linebacker Channing Crowder. Miami made the playoffs in 2008, their only postseason appearance from 2005 to 2015.

Post-draft kudos are nice, but you don't make the playoffs in April. In the Jets' case, though, it feels like a turning point.

We'll see how it pans out... Hopefully they Will All be Studs... unlike Miami's scenario.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

That’s really the problem. We don’t know how to draft. We used 1st on non premium players and couldn’t draft outside the 1st. We didn’t sign Sheldon Richardson because we had a strong interior DL including Leo Williams. We traded Leo Williams because we had a strong interior DL including Q. It’s nuts that we kept using 1st on the iDL. And it just so happens that we only hit on guys on the iDL.

But it goes back further. Not wanting to sign Revis. He was an ass. Ok fine. We hardballed Leon Washington. We traded away Vilma. Scheme change. Always an excuse. Laveranues Coles?

The key going forward is to use premium picks on positions where we will be willing to sign guys to big money contracts. OL, QB, Edge, WR and Corner. Joe Douglas is on the right track.

Signing Revis to an extension in 2010 was smart.  But trading him away in 2013 when he was already past his prime was also smart.  It netted us Sheldon Richardson, one of our few quality picks of the decade. 

The rest of your list of guys we allowed to walk doesn't include any premium position guys outside of Coles, however, and that one was a long time ago, during the Bradway era.  The big problem is drafting poorly at the premium positions, like you say.  Letting quality players walk at premium positions just wasn't a thing here, however.  

Otherwise we fully agree.  Fire Idzik and Maccagnan (but especially Maccagnan) into the sun.  

• Upvote 1

By far the most overrated player in the league.

If you asked Seattle before the draft if they would do a take back they would in a second.

Think we are happy now?  Just wait till we get a top 10 to top 5 pick next year when the Hawks crater this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

3 hours ago, jgb said:

At some point to take a step forward we need to stop viewing our pro bowl players as currency for more magic beans draft picks. That's an endless cycle where "tomorrow is always a season away."

Annie [UK Import]: Amazon.de: Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn,  Bernadette Peters, Ann Reinking, John Huston, Albert Finney, Carol Burnett,  Ray Stark, Rastar Films, Inc.: DVD & Blu-ray

You can when they are whiny over-hyped box safety's that have less interceptions for his career than Marcus Maye had all last year.

• Upvote 1