Thank you Jamal Adams! New York Jets score rare NFL draft trifecta with top picks

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

You can when they are whiny over-hyped box safety's that have less interceptions for his career than Marcus Maye had all last year.

I'm talking big picture. But I get it, anything that could be possibly misinterpreted as a defense of Jamal Adams has to be killed with fire here because of feels.

Whoever first said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" never met a Jets fan.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm talking big picture. But I get it, anything that could be possibly misinterpreted as a defense of Jamal Adams has to be killed with fire here because of feels.

You're not wrong!  Maybe finding a different way to express the take "We need to do better at drafting elite players at premium positions and then need to re-sign some of those elite premium position players at or near market value" is the solution here, lol.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're not wrong!  Maybe finding a different way to express the take "We need to do better at drafting elite players at premium positions and then need to re-sign some of those elite premium position players at or near market value" is the solution here, lol.

Would it matter? Can't convert anyone on the Internet. Everyone is in transmit-only mode. 

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Seriously.  How can you look at this past off season and compare it to doing the same thing over again.   We improved the roster in FA and we seem to have drafted reasonably well.  It also looks like we got a highly coveted HC candidate to take the job.  

It doesn't mean it will work out but it sure doesn't look like doing the same insane thing.  

You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to mine. If you want to debate against that position, you should go find someone who actually holds it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Would it matter? Can't convert anyone on the Internet. Everyone is in transmit-only mode. 

Yeah its almost like all of this doesn't matter at all, and having over 124,000 posts on a sports message board is a waste of time.

Hmm.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah its almost like all of this doesn't matter at all, and having over 124,000 posts on a sports message board is a waste of time.

Hmm.....

It's enjoyable. That's the value. If you measure that against how many minds you change... pick a new hobby :) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It's enjoyable. That's the value. If you measure that against how many minds you change... pick a new hobby :) 

OK phew.  I find that I don't care about changing hearts and minds.  I simply have a lot of things to say and need people to read them.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK phew.  I find that I don't care about changing hearts and minds.  I simply have a lot of things to say and need people to read them.

The only thing I care about is whether my position is clear enough for the necro victory lap if I am right while being ambiguous enough to give me an out if I'm wrong ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Using premium picks to draft DT after DT to avoid paying the last one(s) is really what I'm talking about. 

Agree but it’s one player.  I here using top picks on players and not having them see a second contract too.  
Im not going to blame JD for the Idzik/Macc screw ups. 
That’s all I’m saying.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree but it’s one player.  I here using top picks on players and not having them see a second contract too.  That’s all I’m saying.

I think what we can all agree on is that the Idzik/Macc Jets were one of -- or the -- worst-run franchises in sport.

Drafted poorly, extended wrong guys, let wrong guys go, terrible FA acquisitions, poor development of young players.

I guess the only debate here is which area was worse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think what we can all agree on is that the Idzik/Macc Jets were one of -- or the -- worst-run franchises in sport.

Drafted poorly, extended wrong guys, let wrong guys go, terrible FA acquisitions, poor development of young players.

I guess the only debate here is which area was worse. 

Hate to be that guy, but while both were awful, Idzik >>> Macc.  Not just because he only had 2 years here to ruin as much as possible as opposed to 5, but he DID do a couple nice things.  Eric Decker was a solid WR2 when he signed him.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.  Richardson and Brian Winters were solid picks as well.  Geno Smith in Rd 2 was a far more worthwhile investment at QB than Hackenberg in Rd 2.  Even Enunwa had his moments while we all collectively laughed at the "Idzik 14", which I argue was no worse than any Macc draft.

Macc was the worst drafter in the NFL his 5 years here.  The 2 worst draft picks of all time, across the entire sport's history, were Hackenberg and Jamal Adams.  And I'm not even mildly exaggerating in suggesting that.  And yet, somehow, he was even worse with his free agent signings and contracts.  I could list them all off (and indeed, I have in previous posts over the years), but its just depressing.  Trumaine Johnson, Mosley, Bell, and the Enunwa contract were each firable offenses on their own.  

Mike Maccagnan was the worst pro sports GM (not just NFL, all of pro sports) of all time, and its not close.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hate to be that guy, but while both were awful, Idzik >>> Macc.  Not just because he only had 2 years here to ruin as much as possible as opposed to 5, but he DID do a couple nice things.  Eric Decker was a solid WR2 when he signed him.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.  Richardson and Brian Winters were solid picks as well.  Geno Smith in Rd 2 was a far more worthwhile investment at QB than Hackenberg in Rd 2.  Even Enunwa had his moments while we all collectively laughed at the "Idzik 14", which I argue was no worse than any Macc draft.

Macc was the worst drafter in the NFL his 5 years here.  The 2 worst draft picks of all time, across the entire sport's history, were Hackenberg and Jamal Adams.  And I'm not even mildly exaggerating in suggesting that.  And yet, somehow, he was even worse with his free agent signings and contracts.  I could list them all off (and indeed, I have in previous posts over the years), but its just depressing.  Trumaine Johnson, Mosley, Bell, and the Enunwa contract were each firable offenses on their own.  

Mike Maccagnan was the worst pro sports GM (not just NFL, all of pro sports) of all time, and its not close.

It's so true. It is impressive though that the Jets somehow found a way to downgrade from Idzik.

Seems The Johnsons have abandoned the consultants/ask-a-guru approach to recruitment.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's so true. It is impressive though that the Jets somehow found a way to downgrade from Idzik.

Seems The Johnsons have abandoned the consultants/ask-a-guru approach to recruitment.

And that in itself is a huge win. 

And another victory is this:  Douglas has successfully "boxed out" the Johnson's (giggity) from all football operations.  All evidence suggest it's Douglas, and ONLY Douglas, running the show.  That's great to see.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You guys are truly obsessed with Jamal it’s concerning 

Perhaps, but admit that you find it at least a little bit pleasing that SEA has not extended his sorry ass yet.  If Maye gets paid and Jamal doesn't, that's going to leave a mark.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, jgb said:

At some point to take a step forward we need to stop viewing our pro bowl players as currency for more magic beans draft picks. That's an endless cycle where "tomorrow is always a season away."

I agree 100% with the philosophy above when the player is truly a stud.  But sorry,  it doesn't apply in the Jamal Adams situation one bit.  Jamal isn't worthy of his "pro bowl" status, IMO.  He's not that good.  One day the NFL will stop kissing his ass and admit that he is not special outside of the occasional pass rush.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I agree 100% with the philosophy above when the player is truly a stud.  But sorry,  it doesn't apply in the Jamal Adams situation one bit.  Jamal isn't worthy of his "pro bowl" status, IMO.  He's not that good.  One day the NFL will stop kissing his ass and admit that he is not special outside of the occasional pass rush.  

People love to argue the point they wish you made rather than the one you did.

Jamal is still too touchy a subject. I'll refrain from making general points anywhere his name also appears in proximity.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

At some point to take a step forward we need to stop viewing our pro bowl players as currency for more magic beans draft picks. That's an endless cycle where "tomorrow is always a season away."

Annie [UK Import]: Amazon.de: Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn,  Bernadette Peters, Ann Reinking, John Huston, Albert Finney, Carol Burnett,  Ray Stark, Rastar Films, Inc.: DVD & Blu-ray

It's a fair point, but I'd also point out an elite-one-skill-only, never-should-have-been-drafted-by-us, pass-rushing strong safety, on this Jets team, was probably a luxury we couldn't afford, and that we're better off with what we could get from the picks than by keeping the Safety and paying him tens of millions a season for his 6 or so sacks.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

People love to argue the point they wish you made rather than the one you did.

Jamal is still too touchy a subject. I'll refrain from making general points anywhere his name also appears in proximity.

more like your misuse of Adams to support what was a very good point ruined the whole argument.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

more like your misuse of Adams to support what was a very good point ruined the whole argument.  :)

Not sure how many times I can say I supported the Adams trade.

Feels over facts. 2021.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Jamal did the Jets a favor by bitching his way out of town, no doubt about that, but Joe Douglas getting two firsts plus for him was nothing short of amazing. I imagine their entire fanbase hates that trade, except maybe for their own lone @Pac-type character. 

High grades are nice but they mean basically nothing if Zach Wilson turns out to be Chad Henne. 

The winner of the trade is yet to be determined.  If Vera T busts out or is merely adequate, while Jamal continues his march towards the hall of fame, does that make the Jets "victorious"?

Id think not, senor.

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Whoever first said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" never met a Jets fan.

I agree with you ..... We should not continue the trend of trading our top players.

I also like to kill things with fire....

I also hate Jamal Adams and didn't like him from day one.... Saw his value as a linebacker or whatever he is...but just didn't like the Prez.

Sooo... In conclusion.....

Jamallpro sucks donkey juice kill him with fire!!!!

fire flames GIF

• Haha 2

The irony is that the Jets could really use a hybrid S/WLB that Jamal is.   We just spent multiple draft picks looking for one. 

But he was not worth the draft picks we received, or what he wanted to be paid.  Maybe we re-sign him for $5mm/year.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

The winner of the trade is yet to be determined.  If Vera T busts out or is merely adequate, while Jamal continues his march towards the hall of fame, does that make the Jets "victorious"?

Id think not, senor.

Only HoF Jamalcontent might get into is the Instagram HoF. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This team only works if we have the kind of players that will be realistic regarding their contracts. If we have more Jamal's types then we are doomed... Not saying Tom Brady doesn't make a lot of money on his back end (lol)... but seriously, at least he is always willing to put the team first when it comes to his salary at the cost of winning. We need our players with the type of character who will be team first come contract time. That's the only way we're going to be able to contend on a consistent basis. The only other way would be drafting guys who can take their place and perform the same or better if negotiations go south.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

My comment is beyond Jamal. In general this is a team that unloads talent to get "positioned for the future." When all you do is prepare for the future, it never comes.

Agreed.

This is why it's important to draft premium positions (QB, OL, WR, edge, CB) with your premium (first 3 rounds) picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Annie [UK Import]: Amazon.de: Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn,  Bernadette Peters, Ann Reinking, John Huston, Albert Finney, Carol Burnett,  Ray Stark, Rastar Films, Inc.: DVD & Blu-ray

Jamal was a STRONG SAFETY who couldn't cover the slowest TE in the league.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Ye of little faith.

Besides..  you hate drafting guards with premium picks (let alone trading up for 1).  Interesting how you've done a 180 on this despite years of griping to the contrary.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed.

This is why it's important to draft premium positions (QB, OL, WR, edge, CB) with your premium (first 3 rounds) picks. 

Bad choices lead to bad choices. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, slats said:

3) Seahawks quarterback

Russell Wilson

It seemed pretty clear that Wilson wanted better protection from his offensive line. He mused about the need to take less hits earlier this offseason, then quietly stood by as word about his interest in playing elsewhere exploded. So how did the Seahawks respond to their quarterback's concerns in the draft? By waiting until the sixth round to take Florida offensive tackle Stone Forsythe. The Seahawks only had three picks -- they took wide receiver D'Wayne Eskridge in the second round and cornerback Tre Brown in the fourth -- but it is surprising that they didn't make a move on a lineman earlier. The team's only other significant acquisition up front this offseason has been guard Gabe Jackson, who came over from Las Vegas via a trade. There's also no guarantee that a sixth-round pick will amount to much in the long term. The lone upside here is that Wilson has produced at a high level when there's been questions about his offensive line before. He may just have to do it again