Thank you Jamal Adams! New York Jets score rare NFL draft trifecta with top picks

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Any thoughts on why Sewell was lower?  He was pretty much considered the consensus prior to the draft.  Was it the opt out?

The Jets valued versatility and refinement of Slater and AVT more than Sewell. Sewell's more of a projection, whereas those guys are pretty safe bets to be among the top interior OL in the NFL

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Again, my post is general. I'm not arguing every single player should be retained. Picking one strong case to unload a player (Jamal) does nothing to address my point.

Which is why I asked for any examples. I understand what you are saying. What I'm implying (which does address your point) is that I haven't seen anyone on the team worth locking up previously (the last few years). If you sign turds your cap will be toast and despite people saying damn the cap the cap doesn't stop applying. Right now I think the Jets have something around 10+ percent of their cap as dead money. That makes it hard to sign players particularly as that would be a higher percentage with more spending to placate fans. Plus, you can roll over cap space. Who have the Jets let walk that make you go damn wish we signed him to big money? We did let go of demario davis, twice, so there's one (how long ago was that?).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

I'm talking big picture. But I get it, anything that could be possibly misinterpreted as a defense of Jamal Adams has to be killed with fire here because of feels.

Whoever first said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" never met a Jets fan.

Nobody is scorned: the vast majority of us realized he wasn't a) worth the hassle b) wasn't worth the contract.

So, when you have an asset like that, you flip it.  Which is exactly what Douglas should have done.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Nobody is scorned: the vast majority of us realized he wasn't a) worth the hassle b) wasn't worth the contract.

So, when you have an asset like that, you flip it.  Which is exactly what Douglas should have done.

7 stages of grief. The reaction when this all went down was not as leveled headed as you, my Northern friend.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Which is why I asked for any examples. I understand what you are saying. What I'm implying (which does address your point) is that I haven't seen anyone on the team worth locking up previously (the last few years). If you sign turds your cap will be toast and despite people saying damn the cap the cap doesn't stop applying. Right now I think the Jets have something around 10+ percent of their cap as dead money. That makes it hard to sign players particularly as that would be a higher percentage with more spending to placate fans. Plus, you can roll over cap space. Who have the Jets let walk that make you go damn wish we signed him to big money? We did let go of demario davis, twice, so there's one (how long ago was that?).

If you don't know the names I'm going to say already, me listing yet again them won't change anything because obviously you didn't think those guys were worth keeping.

But for the 10th (15th?) time in this thread. I am talking about an ethos. Where getting draft picks has become a sport-within-a-sport for Jets fans. Remember the gushing here when Macc flipped Teddy Bridgewater after one off season? Terrible move. So Macc turned (I forget details) a 6th rounder into a 4th rounder and traded away the best QB on the team. Whoopdee friggin doo. I look forward to the day we don't judge success by how much draft capital we acquire but rather by the results in the actual games. Would also be nice to root for a Jets player for more than a year or two between when he emerges and contract time when we cash him in because "he doesn't fit into our future rebuilding plans."

6 hours ago, Pac said:

The irrational hate by many in this thread means very little.  No team wouldn't love to have Jamal and he is a perennial pro bowl/all pro player.

If it makes you feel good to pretend to know better and that he secretly sucks, knock yourselves out.

No really..  knock yourselves out.  Literally.

I am reserving my HOF ticket as I type.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If you don't know the names I'm going to say already, me listing yet again them won't change anything because obviously you didn't think those guys were worth keeping.

Well look at that you named Teddy, and I agree, the Jets probably would have been better keeping him that year and sitting Sam. The question though is do you think you would have re-upped him particularly for long term QB money? Also, he was on the team for a quick minute. He wasn't for instance a draft pick that we groomed and then let walk or traded. I don't know of many Jets that left and sparkled elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It was a contract year, right? Mo Wilkerson says hello. Plus, one year is just one year. Let's see what he does this year.

Leo gives me the impression of being a character person, in contrast to Mo Wil, who was in trouble at times. 

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Leo gives me the impression of being a character person, in contrast to Mo Wil, who was in trouble at times. 

That's fair, would you have signed Leo to a big extension? There are lots of high character guys who aren't consistently effective. I wouldn't have signed him to a big extension. 3-4 linemen are generally space eaters and you don't need to spend big coin on them since the LBs are the playmakers. I guess he'd be a 4-3 DT here now, but I QW has that money locked down at DT going forward.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

The only thing I care about is whether my position is clear enough for the necro victory lap if I am right while being ambiguous enough to give me an out if I'm wrong ;) 

12 hours later and some still haven't realized that you made a point of calling yourself out for your very own ongoing shtick, just as they continue falling for it?  Credit where it's due, that's an impressive talent.

.... but seriously, why you hating on the Jamal Adams trade though, right?!?!?!

56 minutes ago, pointman said:

Jamal has a few years left in the tank of elite small linebacker play, winning nothing. Leonard just lucked into a hilariously poor run front office. He is good in contract years, but kind of sucks otherwise. Good riddance to both.

LW isn't actually even "good in contract years", as in plural.  His true contract year was 2019, and he had his worst season as a pro.  That is why he didn't get himself a new deal from the Giants a year ago, as everyone originally predicted to be obviously coming, but rather played 2020 on the franchise tag instead.  That's not to take away from the season he had, but the point being he needed to be on contract year part deux before he had a season actually worth getting paid for.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

12 hours later and some still haven't realized that you made a point of calling yourself out for your very own ongoing shtick, just as they continue falling for it?  Credit where it's due, that's an impressive talent.

.... but seriously, why you hating on the Jamal Adams trade though, right?!?!?!

Learn from me

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

LW isn't actually even "good in contract years", as in plural.  His true contract year was 2019, and he had his worst season as a pro.  That is why he didn't get himself a new deal from the Giants a year ago, as everyone originally predicted to be obviously coming, but rather played 2020 on the franchise tag instead.  That's not to take away from the season he had, but the point being he needed to be on contract year part deux before he had a season actually worth getting paid for.

He sucks.

16 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

This team only works if we have the kind of players that will be realistic regarding their contracts. If we have more Jamal's types then we are doomed... Not saying Tom Brady doesn't make a lot of money on his back end (lol)... but seriously, at least he is always willing to put the team first when it comes to his salary at the cost of winning. We need our players with the type of character who will be team first come contract time. That's the only way we're going to be able to contend on a consistent basis. The only other way would be drafting guys who can take their place and perform the same or better if negotiations go south.

you will never see that happen again.

the reason Brady took less money was because his wife made a ton. he didnt need to break the bank. 

i like to see how KC can win when they start paying Mahomes 46 mil a year in 2023. then 60 mil in 2027.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bronx said:

Of those six highly-graded players in 2005 and 2008, only two made the Pro Bowl -- left tackle Jake Long (four times) and running back Ronnie Brown (once). The others were disappointments -- defensive end Phillip Merling, quarterback Chad Henne, defensive end Matt Roth and linebacker Channing Crowder. Miami made the playoffs in 2008, their only postseason appearance from 2005 to 2015.

i was feeling good until a read this..

If this team turns out to be any good, Joe Douglas getting back two firsts, a second, two thirds, a fourth and a fifth round pick for Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold, and Leo Williams will be looked back upon as one of the major reasons. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

For what Leo is- this is an absolutely absurd contract.

A5806FC2-0DEB-41A1-B534-157BB7B7ED66.png

What is the difference between "Total Guaranteed" and "Fully Guaranteed"?

Leo has the 5th highest amount of total guaranteed money for NFL D linemen?  :eek: 

At least he had a good year.  Finally.  Probably less than 50-50 odds it ever happens again.

13 hours ago, pointman said:

Jamal has a few years left in the tank of elite small linebacker play, winning nothing. Leonard just lucked into a hilariously poor run front office. He is good in contract years, but kind of sucks otherwise. Good riddance to both.

He wasn't elite last year. His complete incompetence in coverage negated the ESPN highlight sacks he so coveted. Adams in my opinion has NEVER been an overall positive to the defense. He made some plays that saved games at the end, but we ignore all the other times his play led to leads by the opposition anyway. The NFL fandom is obsessed with sacks but in reality they are not as impactful as many want to believe. Adams was and remains one of the most overrated defensive players in the NFL.

If the New York Jets took 5th round pick Jamien Sherwood and stuck him at the los and blitzed him 70% of the time, told him he almost never had to cover anyone or really have any other responsibilities than go forward into the gap of his choosing he would get 6-8 sacks and make run stops, if he stomped around and waived his arms he would be = to Adams.

No need to create any turnovers, no need to be able to cover, we will ignore the many many plays the Defense is compromised due to this strategy.

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I cant imagine jamal adams is taking another snap for the seahawks unless he is the highest paid safety in the league.

Getting 2 firsts and a 3rd for a one dimensional safety has to be one of if not the best trade in nfl history.  Joe D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought we would be lucky to get a 2nd to be honest. 

So right now we have essentially traded Jamal and a 3rd for AVT and a first next year. To be honest I think I might even be OK with a trade of Jamal and a 3rd for AVT without the first.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:29 PM, football guy said:

It truly was a remarkable first-4 pick outcome. 

As far as where exactly AVT was on the board, here's what I know... 

• Wilson was the top player on the board, followed by Lawrence at 2. 
  • Kyle Pitts was the top non-QB on their board, meaning he was 3rd. 
  • AVT was behind Slater but ahead of Sewell, who was also in the top 10. 

That means AVT was anywhere from their 5th-9th player on their board. To come away with him at 14 for what they did is pretty remarkable. And to follow up with it by landing Elijah Moore, who was at minimum player #23, at #34 was huge too. 

The Elijah Moore pick caught me by surprise. I didn't hear his name once throughout the process, but we now know that was the guy the coaches latched onto and the scouts found agreement in. I really like some of the things he does and have grown more fond of the pick since it was made if not anything but their commitment to building around the QB. 178 lb. receiver just scares the crap out of me. Jets need to get him closer to 185 playing weight, but at the very worst he'll be a ready replacement for Crowder in 2022, at best a top-tier receiver in the league. He displays a ton of safe qualities on tape to project him as a Crowder-floor guy. 

He may be 178, but looking at him in shorts and making plays on the field, he plays bigger than that.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2021 at 5:50 AM, Beerfish said:

By far the most overrated player in the league.

If you asked Seattle before the draft if they would do a take back they would in a second.

Think we are happy now?  Just wait till we get a top 10 to top 5 pick next year when the Hawks crater this year.

Would be a kind of fun (and cruel) to look at those Seattle picks we got and figure who the Seahawks would have taken this year (and then do it next year) to see how those players might compare to Jamal from the perspective of Seattle.  There were a LOT of good options on the board at #23 this year.

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He wasn't elite last year. His complete incompetence in coverage negated the ESPN highlight sacks he so coveted. Adams in my opinion has NEVER been an overall positive to the defense. He made some plays that saved games at the end, but we ignore all the other times his play led to leads by the opposition anyway. The NFL fandom is obsessed with sacks but in reality they are not as impactful as many want to believe. Adams was and remains one of the most overrated defensive players in the NFL.

Jamal had 9.5 sacks. Thats pretty good for a tiny linebacker with a damaged crotch. He can't cover for shiii, and he can't run either. Dude can blitz, and he's good at it... for now.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, Pac said:

The winner of the trade is yet to be determined.  If Vera T busts out or is merely adequate, while Jamal continues his march towards the hall of fame, does that make the Jets "victorious"?

Id think not, senor.

Anyone who thinks Jamal Adams is on his way to the hall of fame is ridiculous and knows very little about football and Jamal Adams talent. He was nothing but a narcissistic windbag when with the Jets and the media ate it up. Eventually you have to back up your talk, he can't do it. Did everything he could to get off of the Jets, and when he did, he got no new contract, and made his new team worse once he got there. Lets get real when talking about this POS!

giphy.gif