Keelan Cole will be the biggest surprise on this Jet offense

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

If healthy Cole has a chance to be a major contributor in this offense.   His versatility is exactly what the “system” requires.  People think that drafting Moore makes Crowder expendable, but it’s actually Cole that will replace and take reps from Crowder.   Cole can be the volume receiver in this offense.   He can play inside or out and is much bigger than a traditional slot.   I wouldn’t be surprised if he led the Jets in receptions this year. 

i like the signing. every time i watched the Jags he was the guy i didnt go in expecting to see but did.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

How is he getting on the field with Davis, Mims, Crowder and Moore ahead of him?

I just dont see much playin time for him unless someone gets hurt.

He’ll be on the field more than Crowder and Moore, especially at the start of the season. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’ll be on the field more than Crowder and Moore, especially at the start of the season. 

Mims is going to have to earn time over him too, IMO. I’ll be thrilled if Mims plays well enough to consistently get snaps over Cole but I’m not entirely certain that’s a lock yet.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Mims is going to have to earn time over him too, IMO. I’ll be thrilled if Mims plays well enough to consistently get snaps over Cole but I’m not entirely certain that’s a lock yet.

True.   I think Mims will battle with Davis for time at the X position, but Cole is the best fit of the remaining receivers for the Z role.   I do think they’ll try Mims at the Z as well because the offense requires receivers to be versatile.   Cole can be on the field in 2 or 3 receiver sets.   

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

There is 0 chance Cole is getting more playing time then Crowder and Moore.  And its ludicrous to suggest hes playing over Mims.

Hes the 5th receiver on this team.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How is he getting on the field with Davis, Mims, Crowder and Moore ahead of him?

Do you actually see Crowder on the roster at the start of the season? I could be very wrong, but I do not see him on the roster. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Frankly, I think Moore has the potential to be a #1 in the mold of Stephen Smith and Antonio Brown.

They could all have the potential.  I'm not attempting to look forward, only to evaluate what we know today.  Just to be clear.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Davis

Mims

Moore

Crowder

Cole

It's a better group than we've had in quite a while, even if it still lacks that elite #1 most teams strive for.

I hope you're right, hell, I hope all of um' perform to their potential, and WR, finally, isn't a talentless black hole of failure for this team.

Rather have too many players than not enough.

It looks to me like we got 3 #2 receivers and 2 #3 receivers.  That's better than having like 1 #2 receiver, 2  #3 receivers and 2 #4 receivers.  And when the 1 #2 receiver got hurt, we had #3 and #4 wide receivers starting and finishing games for us.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Keelan Cole is the security that makes Crowder especially expendable. 

there’s no good argument to keep crowder versus $10 mill savings when you have Moore starting and Cole who can play all 3 spots.  

I know people will say support the QB with weaponz but he will be supported even without Crowder. That $10 mill rolls over into next year. It’s sound business and Zach will still have plenty of good options even if/when someone gets hurt.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Last season Chris Hogan started on opening day.  Tons of snaps went to Hogan, Jeff and Vyncint Smith, Berrios, Cager, Josh Malone.  If the guy can play he will have the opportunity.  Mims, Crowder and Davis are not exactly iron men and Moore is like 5'8".  I don't know much about the player, but the thing that worries me is his catch rate.  Then again, he has not had the best QBs. 

13 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Do you actually see Crowder on the roster at the start of the season? I could be very wrong, but I do not see him on the roster. 

Yes.  Joe Douglas stated this already.  Now if a team loses a receiver in camp and makes Douglas an offer he cant refuse, sure he can get traded.

But I believe the plan is to let crowder play out the last year of his contract and then let him walk next offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes.  Joe Douglas stated this already.  Now if a team loses a receiver in camp and makes Douglas an offer he cant refuse, sure he can get traded.

But I believe the plan is to let crowder play out the last year of his contract and then let him walk next offseason.

You're quite possibly right. For some reason. I believe he'll be gone. I think that Wide receivers went from being a glaring weakness for a strength. Crowder would only improve that.

Davis will lead the team in receptions unless he gets hurt. And that is what you want. Davis is a beast and easily the best receiver on this team. People are sleeping on him. 

Having said that. Yeah, Cole should be a contributor. I think he WILL be a pleasant surprise. I'd rather Mims was a pleasant surprise and had a breakout season. But I think Cole will be solid. He's versatile. 

The biggest surprise will be Herndon. A lot of fans are ready to cut him. If LaFleur makes an effort to incorporate him in this offense and Herndon stays healthy he should be a key factor and we will see some of his playmaking ability. He just needs to figure out a way to stay healthy all year.   

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Alka said:

It looks to me like we got 3 #2 receivers and 2 #3 receivers.  That's better than having like 1 #2 receiver, 2  #3 receivers and 2 #4 receivers.  And when the 1 #2 receiver got hurt, we had #3 and #4 wide receivers starting and finishing games for us.

I get a distinct "Who's on First" vibe from this post, lol.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

there’s no good argument to keep crowder versus $10 mill savings when you have Moore starting and Cole who can play all 3 spots.  

I know people will say support the QB with weaponz but he will be supported even without Crowder. That $10 mill rolls over into next year. It’s sound business and Zach will still have plenty of good options even if/when someone gets hurt.

Agreed.   Plus a traditional slot like Crowder generally doesn’t fit this offense well.   Crowder could have a small role, but given his salary would it even be worth it?   It will be interesting to see the personnel groupings the Jets will be in this year.  Based on current personnel I don’t see a bunch of 21 personnel, and unless Herndon gets back on track I don’t see a lot of 12 personnel.  That leaves the bulk of it in 11 personnel, which will have 3 receivers on the field.  

Lots to speculate about, but regardless I think Cole will have a decent role in this offense.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know much about the player, but the thing that worries me is his catch rate. 

Catch rate was low his first two seasons, right about 52%, but up to 64% last two seasons.  Hopefully that is a sign of maturity and development.  Catch rate does not worry me for him heading into year 5.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

True.   I think Mims will battle with Davis for time at the X position, but Cole is the best fit of the remaining receivers for the Z role.   I do think they’ll try Mims at the Z as well because the offense requires receivers to be versatile.   Cole can be on the field in 2 or 3 receiver sets.   

I suspect that the hope is that Moore gets a lot of play at the Z position eventually. They didn't stick at #34 to take a slot, they stayed there to take the WR getting super-rosy Tyreek Hill and Antonio Brown comps. Cole is/was probably mostly a backup plan for Crowder. 

If I'm the Jets, I'm playing Crowder early so that the veteran receiver helps the rookie QB adapt to the NFL. But with Cole and Moore (and maybe Berrios... ?) on the roster, I'd start listening to trade offers for Crowder before the deadline. 

I think Cole will be a contributor, but I'll be very surprised if he leads the team in receptions. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   Plus a traditional slot like Crowder generally doesn’t fit this offense well.   Crowder could have a small role, but given his salary would it even be worth it?

@slatsCould GB be a good landing spot for a 5th?

Edited by 32EBoozer

26 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't think the 49ers had a true #1 when they went to the SB. Having as many weapons as possible  is way better than having a Megatron. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I suspect that the hope is that Moore gets a lot of play at the Z position eventually. They didn't stick at #34 to take a slot, they stayed there to take the WR getting super-rosy Tyreek Hill and Antonio Brown comps. Cole is/was probably mostly a backup plan for Crowder. 

If I'm the Jets, I'm playing Crowder early so that the veteran receiver helps the rookie QB adapt to the NFL. But with Cole and Moore (and maybe Berrios... ?) on the roster, I'd start listening to trade offers for Crowder before the deadline. 

I think Cole will be a contributor, but I'll be very surprised if he leads the team in receptions. 

I don’t think that he’s a back up to Crowder as they are different types of receivers.  I don’t see a scenario where Crowder and Moore coexist on the field at the same time, especially early on.  I think they’ll use Moore in the slot first since it’s an easier transition and Moore’s skill set suits it the best.  

Day one 3 WR group would be Davis and Cole outside and Moore in the slot.  I’d also expect to see Mims being moved around a bit as well.  

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

He's a solid WR3/4 type of guy but it would be bad if he led the team in receptions this year. He's not that type of volume guy.

Based on? He pretty much led the JAGs in his rookie year behind Robinson. 

I think you're pulling that assessment out of hat. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yes there is. He's far, far better. 

Crowder is hands down the most underrated player on this team. Not many better slot guys in the entire league. 

If he leaves I hope he goes to play with Aaron Rodgers and put up 1200 yards. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Davis will lead the team in receptions unless he gets hurt. And that is what you want. Davis is a beast and easily the best receiver on this team. People are sleeping on him. 

Having said that. Yeah, Cole should be a contributor. I think he WILL be a pleasant surprise. I'd rather Mims was a pleasant surprise and had a breakout season. But I think Cole will be solid. He's versatile. 

I don't think anyone is sleeping on him considering most think he's our WR1... From a talent standpoint, I wouldn't auto-slot him over Mims.  Personally, i think Mims will contest for WR1/spit end... (he'll be in Aiyuk role), with Davis/Cole as your rotating flankers/WR2.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Based on? He pretty much led the JAGs in his rookie year behind Robinson. 

I think you're pulling that assessment out of hat. 

On a good team, I mean. If he has more receptions than the four guys we have here, that's an issue. Last year he had the 2nd most receptions on the Jags but Chark (2 less) and Shenault played less games than he did. He shouldn't be leading our team in receptions.

There is 0 chance Cole is getting more playing time then Crowder and Moore.  And its ludicrous to suggest hes playing over Mims.

Hes the 5th receiver on this team.

lol it's painful obvious that many don't have a clue who Keelan Cole is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If healthy Cole has a chance to be a major contributor in this offense.   His versatility is exactly what the “system” requires.  People think that drafting Moore makes Crowder expendable, but it’s actually Cole that will replace and take reps from Crowder.   Cole can be the volume receiver in this offense.   He can play inside or out and is much bigger than a traditional slot.   I wouldn’t be surprised if he led the Jets in receptions this year. 

Couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Coaching. That’s how.

• Upvote 2