Is a full build in New York possible?

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

It is now. When is the last time we had a head coach and GM on the same page? Probably Tanny and Mangini

Mangini wasn't the greatest coach but a great talent evaluator. Tanny was there to sign off and do the numbers. 

Next we kept Tanny and the great roster we built and teamed it with Rex. You can't even blame Rex for destroying that SB ready roster cause he was a kid in a candy store, of course he's going to get a sugar high and want everything. No buisness in personnel decisions.

Now let's fire Tanny and hire Korn Ferry at 6 figures for our GM search. Also as a condition Rex must remain head coach. Im shocked the best we could get is John Idzik.

Whatever, it keeps going. We finally seem to have a competent GM and a Coach that at least looks like the real deal on the same page. Only Woody being back in town could F this up somehow. Just let them work. After last year anything they do this season will look good. Pressure isn't come from the fans for an instant rebuild. Just progress

Rex overachieved with those teams. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Again, I'd argue the "Rebuild" portion of our show is already over now.

We have:  New Coach, new staff, new QB, new O-lineman in the mid 1st to go with our other 1st round O-lineman, new O skill players at RB and WR, new high-cost edge, new DB's and LB's, Mosely back (or traded).  Plus whatever else we get in post-draft Free Agency.

That's the "rebuild".  The Rebuild is now over. 

We still have some holes, and some thin positions, sure, as every team does, but we no longer require a "rebuild".

2022 will not be "more rebuild". 

2022 will be about individual pieces, not about wholesale rebuilding the roster.  

Yup.

2022 the remaining holes get filled with our top 5 premium picks.  Then a lot of BAP. 

55 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Rex overachieved with those teams. 

He was a better coach than Mangini. He was a roster destroyer though. Tanny should have been fired the second Mangini was for a GM with a spine. I don't blame any of the above. Its was an ownership problem. Just hoping this new structure sticks and the Johnson's **** off and stay passive owners for once. Lucked into a good thing with Gase bringing in Douglas 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

a "rebuild" in the NFL takes 3 years. If it's more than 3 years then it's not a rebuild, it's just failure. After 3 years, your rookie contracts are coming due so if your 'rebuild' isn't complete then it's not gonna get 'more complete' as the years go on.

Mac got 5 years, how many more years did you want to give him? 

I agree, though his first year wasn't a build. They went 10-6. They tore it down for the second year.

And he didn't deserve any more time. He couldn't draft.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The rebuild is already here and we are ahead of schedule right now. After next draft / free agency binge, the rebuild should be complete and we should be considered a contender

This is what I see. Give it one more year for JD to reap the benefits of the draft capital he has accumulated.

As for this rebuild, JD stepped into a worse situation than most. The roster was just devoid of talent.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Johnsons have given Douglas full teign and are delighted with his 2021 draft.  They are going with whatever Douglas says.  And Douglas is doing this patiently.

This team will be a legit Super Bowl contender in 2023 and most of that will be with players drafted or signed to reasonable contracts.

I think this right.

Douglas seems to be on the ball.  He was given the time and so far it seems he has delivered.

He has just completed a total tear down and the rebuild has started - they are on the upswing. 

It took two full years to clean themselves of the garbage from the prior decade.  The painful part is over.

It's all Gas now...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd argue that rebuilds don't even take 3 years.  Most "rebuilds" are a 1-2 year change, max.

Name all the teams that were rebuilt, top to bottom in 1-2 years.  

Bills 4 years after 20+ years out of contention

Dolphins 20+ years

Cleveland?  Cincy? Jax? Raiders after 20 years? Denver 4 years and running.  Wash, 8 years?  Giants?   Philly going into year 3?  Lions?  Carolina?  Az?

I think you overlooked that no team has rebuilt itself from the dregs in 1-2 years 

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If you're talking about the Jets, yes. If you're talking about the Rangers, no. I'm still trying to wrap my head around firing the GM and president during a rebuild. 

I guess Dolan is leaving the Knicks alone given their success and he's on to the Rangers. I can't complain since I'm a Knicks fan as well as an Islanders. Apparently he's pissed his 3 year rebuild lost to team it took 20+ to get good

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I'm excited that the process seems mature with pieces building up into a whole.

This is not Macc drafting like he's picking items off the dessert topping bar. Do Gummi Bears go with butterscotch drops? Who cares! Throw 'em on there!

But the process still needs to lead to results. We'll find out of JD's player evals are as advanced as his organizational accumen.

I think people are not getting how different this team is in its current trajectory. Like a topic like this is just kinda funny. 

This is the fastest, youngest and most talented our team has been in my time. People are sweating Miami - Miami traded most of their picks and they are at the salary cap. 

The Jets have extremely high potential guys at LT, LG, NT, QB and CB1. Hall should get better in a zone. 

We have UDFA significantly helping this team.(Guidry, Huff, Cager, Jackson)  

Waiver guys are significantly helping this team (Ty Johnson and Franklin Meyers). 

Our contracts are so clean right now. Its just all young talent. 

We have more draft picks than anyone next year. 

We are 73m under the cap next year and 160m under the cap the year after. 

We were the team that always would have overpaid trey Hendrickson. Instead we are now the team that gets Carl Lawson. 

This is just so different from who we have been since I've been a fan. Douglas is hitting it from every single angle. We are absolutely going to be one of the young/exciting teams in the NFL in the next few seasons everyone loves. They just don't know it yet. 

Douglas has been amazing. Just hope it continues. 

• Upvote 1