RB Kerryon Johnson being released

Only 23 years old. 42nd overall pick in 2018. Had some injury issues his first 2 years and missed 14 games. 4.3 ypc. He'll be on waivers and the Jets are 2nd in the claim order. His salary is about 700K for 2021 and is a FA next year.  It seems like a low risk proposition and If he's healthy he adds more competition to the young and mostly inexperienced backfield. He's a fit for the Shanahan style run game and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. It'll be interesting to see if the Jets put in a claim. I don't see a downside. 

• Upvote 4

Oh, I really wanted to target him because I thought he'd be a great buy low.  I'm worried about his injuries, but there has to be some post Patricia spike like the Gase spike too.  Would love for him to be in the room with Carter, Coleman, Perrine, and Ty Johnson.  See who makes it out of camp healthy.  

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Oh, I really wanted to target him because I thought he'd be a great buy low.  I'm worried about his injuries, but there has to be some post Patricia spike like the Gase spike too.  Would love for him to be in the room with Carter, Coleman, Perrine, and Ty Johnson.  See who makes it out of camp healthy.  

Patricia didn't cheat hard enough, but is there such a thing as a "Gase Spike"? You may have inadvertently coined something, a colloquialism for stabbing oneself in the neck with a bent camping knife until dead.

• Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Patricia didn't cheat hard enough, but is there such a thing as a "Gase Spike"? You may have inadvertently coined something, a colloquialism for stabbing oneself in the neck with a bent camping knife in the neck until dead.

Gase Spike: an uptick in performance in the battlefield, harvested through mental torture allowing gladiators to tap into their inner animal instincts on the field without regard for the opponent.  

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Not after the drafting of Michael Carter. 

I'd rather JD wait and pounce on another interior O-Lineman with promise and potential who gets waived as a cap casualty. 

With that said I don't know anything about this RB so in JD I trust. 

You can sign more than 1 player post draft. The Jets will be #2 in the waiver claim for every player on waivers up until week 4 of the regular season. This isn't fantasy football where you go to the back of the line after a claim.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'd grab him. He's electric. He had nothing to run behind, just like everyone else in Detroit. 

Strange now though with the line upgrade there. What's the deal?

They drafted Swift last year in the 2nd round and signed Jamaal Williams from GB in FA

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He played the full season last year 

More importantly, who cares?  Lots of guys don't play a full season.  At $700k that is irrelevant. It is when you are paying guys like Mosley and Trumaine Johnson that injuries seem crippling.  Apparently as recently as week 3 of last year the Lions valued him more than Ty Johnson who was probably our best back in 2020.  OTOH, he was outperformed by Swift and Peterson.  Interesting guy, up to the staff to determine if they think he is done.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'd grab him. He's electric. He had nothing to run behind, just like everyone else in Detroit. 

Strange now though with the line upgrade there. What's the deal?

Swift look really good last year in the same offense and they brought in Jamal Williams. But at 23 I agree that it 's worth a shot. 

Regardless, he may not be getting cut after all:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/06/brad-holmes-kerryon-johnsons-status-with-lions-is-not-resolved/

Lions General Manager Brad Holmes says the status of running back Kerryon Johnson has not been determined.

Despite a report that Johnson will be released, Holmes said this morning on PFT Live that Johnson’s status isn’t certain.

Holmes described the situation with Johnson as “a work in progress.”

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If he was healthy they wouldn’t be cutting him. 

They have swift and jamal williams and drafted a RB this year. He was gonna be the odd man out regardless. Doesn't mean he isn’t healthy 

35 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Swift look really good last year in the same offense and they brought in Jamal Williams. But at 23 I agree that it 's worth a shot. 

Regardless, he may not be getting cut after all:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/06/brad-holmes-kerryon-johnsons-status-with-lions-is-not-resolved/

Lions General Manager Brad Holmes says the status of running back Kerryon Johnson has not been determined.

Despite a report that Johnson will be released, Holmes said this morning on PFT Live that Johnson’s status isn’t certain.

Holmes described the situation with Johnson as “a work in progress.”

Sounds like they're shopping for a late pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

More importantly, who cares?  Lots of guys don't play a full season.  At $700k that is irrelevant. It is when you are paying guys like Mosley and Trumaine Johnson that injuries seem crippling.  Apparently as recently as week 3 of last year the Lions valued him more than Ty Johnson who was probably our best back in 2020.  OTOH, he was outperformed by Swift and Peterson.  Interesting guy, up to the staff to determine if they think he is done.

Seriously. $700K isn't even a rounding error, so even if they pay it and still cut him bfd they do that with enough cumulative UDFAs and late-rounders who end up on the practice squad. 

If he's just ok, but not worth a second contract, they could also get a comp pick (unless he only gets the league minimum next year). If he doesn't make the final roster, it's not going to stop the Jets from making any moves in the future. Never mind if we get a major RB injury or two this summer - it's kind of a high-injury position - there are going to be a lot of people who'd wish we took him for almost free in the spring.

I don't know if there's some other reason they're looking to dump him, though, where 30 other teams won't want him either. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If he was healthy they wouldn’t be cutting him. 

Not accurate. He was healthy the entire 2020 season. Swift is the starter and they just gave Jamaal Williams a 2 yr $7.5 million deal in FA. That's why he's being released. 

There's a reason why the Lions drafted Swift , signed Peterson last season, then signed Williams as a free agents and now want to get rid of Johnson.  He's a broken stained couch they just put on the curb.  Who cares if he is 23 or whatever age.  He's injured and not very good.  

Cue the "he's better than player X" crowd.  How many RBs do the Jets need?  Especially in the 49er scheme when the system makes the backs rather than the other way around.  

• Upvote 1