Greetings, new Jets fan here...

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

From what I have seen on TV, Mormons can take more than one wife. You may want to apply that to the teams you root for in the NFL after a season of this team. 

I was thinking of “going there” but decided against it. You Should have given it 10 more seconds of consideration!?

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

In 2018, I began following the NFL for the first time in my life.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been a BYU Football fan since age 8.

In 2018, I began following Taysom Hill and the Saints. Now, I fully plan on also following the Jets.

No doubt in my mind there will be thousands more like myself as we don't have an NFL team in Utah.

I feel It's going to be a fun year.

Go Jets!!

Welcome to the neighborhood.  It might be rougher than you're probably used to. 

Just FYI. 

28 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

I'm in my mid 50's and have been a BYU Football fan since age 8.

Mid-life crisis I tell you! I started dating a lady half my age at 50, both scenarios with similar crash and burn patterns.(Though being a Jets fan will probably kill you first).

Welcome aboard! 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

On that note and for the sake of education, Mormons are not Polygamists. They were when they 'moved' to Utah back in the early 1800's, before Utah was a state, etc.

However, since it was against the law in the U.S. and the current U.S. President at that time sent an army to arrest anyone practicing Poly, Brigham Young signed a declaration outlawing the practice. That was back around 1830's or so I'm guessing. I'm not a Mormon but have lived here my whole life and know a ton about them. The members that were not OK with this new declaration, left the church and moved to Mexico and other areas. They are called: The fundamentalist's or Mormon Fundamentalists. They are indeed anti-Mormon and have nothing to do with the actual church in any way. Those against religion are always trying to hang the polyg crap on the Mormon church. I find it a bit funny as the co-workers and neighbors I know that are Mormon are amazing, cool and down to earth people!

On the other note, from what I've read and heard, the Wilson family is pushing for #2. Don't think anything is in stone yet.

Are you in Provo? I love the desert and have thought of going out that way when I retire. Desert, amazing nature and geography,  clear skies, skiing, and all the 3.2% beer I can drink!

? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

Mormons are not Polygamists. They were when they 'moved' to Utah back in the early 1800's, before Utah was a state, etc.

However, since it was against the law in the U.S.

And happiness went packing away.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Are you in Provo? I love the desert and have thought of going out that way when I retire. Desert, amazing nature and geography,  clear skies, skiing, and all the 3.2% beer I can drink!

I'm in the south Salt Lake Valley myself. We are technically in a desert. We don't get moldy..anything here. When it's hot, it's a dry heat meaning you don't sweat from the heavy humidity. I've spent time in areas where the humidity is high and...no thanks...that's why I stayed here, plus we are surrounded by national parks, mountains, etc, is awesome!

If you're into heat, you prob would want to move to St. George. Awesomely beautiful place and about an 1.5 hour drive from Vegas!

43 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

? 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

On that note and for the sake of education, Mormons are not Polygamists. They were when they 'moved' to Utah back in the early 1800's, before Utah was a state, etc.

However, since it was against the law in the U.S. and the current U.S. President at that time sent an army to arrest anyone practicing Poly, Brigham Young signed a declaration outlawing the practice. That was back around 1830's or so I'm guessing. I'm not a Mormon but have lived here my whole life and know a ton about them. The members that were not OK with this new declaration, left the church and moved to Mexico and other areas. They are called: The fundamentalist's or Mormon Fundamentalists. They are indeed anti-Mormon and have nothing to do with the actual church in any way. Those against religion are always trying to hang the polyg crap on the Mormon church. I find it a bit funny as the co-workers and neighbors I know that are Mormon are amazing, cool and down to earth people!

On the other note, from what I've read and heard, the Wilson family is pushing for #2. Don't think anything is in stone yet.

Under The Banner of Heaven is one of the best books I've ever read.

3 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

I'm in the south Salt Lake Valley myself. We are technically in a desert. We don't get moldy..anything here. When it's hot, it's a dry heat meaning you don't sweat from the heavy humidity. I've spent time in areas where the humidity is high and...no thanks...that's why I stayed here, plus we are surrounded by national parks, mountains, etc, is awesome!

If you're into heat, you prob would want to move to St. George. Awesomely beautiful place and about an 1.5 hour drive from Vegas!

I'm in South Florida.  **** the heat! ? 

• Upvote 3

Welcome Hystorm, from a fellow new member at JN, and lifelong Jet fan.

May your Jets fandom be filled with many wonderful winning seasons, Super Bowl victories, and beating the Dolphins, Pats and Bills twice a year, every year for the rest of your life.....?

Interesting history on supposed Mormon polygamy, it's amazing how a stereotype can survive for so long. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Maybe wait until a BYU fan does something obnoxious? I don’t know. Most obnoxious comments in the thread so far are yours and @More Cowbell‘s. 

Fair enough.  Maybe  I just don't understand  fans who follow players and not teams.  And I have a form of PTSD from the Favre and Tebow legions who constantly complained about how their flawed idols didn't get a fair shake.  

Welcome Hystrom.  Unlike Favre and Tebow, I am thrilled to have Wilson on the Jets and hope and expect he will have a long and successful career here.