Jump to content

Rookie Mini Camp This Weekend


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I would have to say the Tampa Bucs old unis may have been the worst I have ever seen.  The old Pats were not much better.  Once they changed unis (especially Tampa) they began to change that perception a bit.  Of course drafting, signing and trading for good players didn't hurt either.  

I've heard people make this argument but I think the fact that 1) the Bucs creamsicles were all time hideous uniforms and 2) right around the time they changed uniforms they also drafted Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Mike Alstott, etc. and hired Tony Dungy played a huge factor.

I prefer the old Pats unis to the current ones, but again, they timed the change well with the org going from awful to good, which clearly played a key role in perception.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Manish is ready:

Robert Saleh just really needs to shut the hell up. I was determined to be completely "wait and see" with this guy but every time I see this dude he just ruins it and I get so excited and pumped for h

Press access on Friday and Saturday. It will be nice to get some real reports on some of the new guys and the new coaches.  

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

I was at the near perfect game against the cubbies in July '69. By the end of June, the Mets were a thing.  Seaver and koosman were mowing them all down game after game.  There was electricity that summer.  We knew they were going to catch the Cubs.  My grandfather always had connections to tickets to any sport and there we were that night in a Loge box seat right above the Cubs batting circle.  Check out the crowd ofr an early July game.  Not an empty seat.  What a game.  What a pitcher.  RIP #41.

(Booooo Jimmy Qualls wherever you are)

 

 

I was there too.  My father took me to just about every game against Leo and his Cubs!

F Jim Qualles

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I was there too.  My father took me to just about every game against Leo and his Cubs!

F Jim Qualles

Were you there for the black cat?  Most amazing thing ever.

That one I saw on channel 9.

For people who don't know... the 1969 Mets were the first time the franchise wasn't terrible. They trailed the dominating Cubs in NL East, Cubs being a "lock" (so they all said) to win the pennant. As Summer was nearing an end, the Mets caught up to the Cubs.  In a home game, a black cat found its way onto the field and proceeded to run back in forth right in front of the Cubs dugout and the immortal Leo Daroucher. 

Amazing.  Of course Mets went on to win that pennant and then in the World Series destroy the heavily favored "unbeatable" Orioles in 5 games.  Now remember, it wasn't too long after the NY Jets and Joe Namath defeated the "unbeatable" Baltimore Colts  in SB III.  NYC > Baltimore.  Those poor 1969  Baltimorians.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dcat said:

I was at the near perfect game against the cubbies in July '69. By the end of June, the Mets were a thing.  Seaver and koosman were mowing them all down game after game.  There was electricity that summer.  We knew they were going to catch the Cubs.  My grandfather always had connections to tickets to any sport and there we were that night in a Loge box seat right above the Cubs batting circle.  Check out the crowd ofr an early July game.  Not an empty seat.  What a game.  What a pitcher.  RIP #41.

(Booooo Jimmy Qualls wherever you are)

 

 

Thee ONE & ONLY Tom Terrific.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Were you there for the black cat?  Most amazing thing ever.

That one I saw on channel 9.

For people who don't know... the 1969 Mets were the first time the franchise wasn't terrible. They trailed the dominating Cubs in NL East, Cubs being a "lock" (so they all said) to win the pennant. As Summer was nearing an end, the Mets caught up to the Cubs.  In a home game, a black cat found its way onto the field and proceeded to run back in forth right in front of the Cubs dugout and the immortal Leo Daroucher. 

Amazing.  Of course Mets went on to win that pennant and then in the World Series destroy the heavily favored "unbeatable" Orioles in 5 games.  Now remember, it wasn't too long after the NY Jets and Joe Namath defeated the "unbeatable" Baltimore Colts  in SB III.  NYC > Baltimore.  Those poor Baltimorians.

We were there!.  What I really remember about that game was after Agee was knocked to dirt with a purpose pitch in his first AB, Koosman hit Ron Santo on the wrist and shattered it in the second.  

Funny part about that black cat was after the cat circled Santo with his broken wrist it then went towards the 3rd base coaches box where Durocher managed from and stared Leo The Lip down

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, ryu79 said:

Not all college production is created equal (I'd argue production in SEC is as good of an indicator that were gonna find, if any are of relevance).

Also, you made me Google Colt Brennan, that is one scary Wiki. Background checks are a good idea!

 

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We were there!.  What I really remember about that game was after Agee was knocked to dirt with a purpose pitch in his first AB, Koosman hit Ron Santo on the wrist and shattered it in the second.  

Funny part about that black cat was after the cat circled Santo with his broken wrist it then went towards the 3rd base coaches box where Durocher managed from and stared Leo The Lip down

 

The Mets won both games in a double header that summer 1-0 and the pitcher drove in the winning run in both games!

I was in the bleachers for a twi-nighter against Montreal when the Mets moved into first place over the Cubs. The stands were shaking!

My brother and I loved to go to banner day and walk on the field between games. Double headers were our value buy, lol!

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jethead said:

The Mets won both games in a double header that summer 1-0 and the pitcher drove in the winning run in both games!

I was in the bleachers for a twi-nighter against Montreal when the Mets moved into first place over the Cubs. The stands were shaking!

My brother and I loved to go to banner day and walk on the field between games. Double headers were our value buy, lol!

I remember that doubleheader.  Koos won the first game and Caldwell the 2nd.  I think Dock Ellis pitched In one of the games for the Pirates.  Koosman was easy, I loved to watch him, his motion was so smooth.  Wouldnt have known Caldwell but he signed one of my gloves along with Tug and had it for years

Mets played in some crazy games that season

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

 

I’m good friends with the Brennan family.  They are a big, close family who are heavily involved in football. His cousin who I’m the closest with played at Arizona and was roommates with Luke Walton..we became friends when he was playing professionally in Japan ( yes they have a pro football league in Japan).  His brother is head coach At San Jose St and was just named coach of the year of the mountain west division. I met Colt at a number of their family parties.  He was never the same after a car accident he was a passenger in that his girlfriend had.  Guy always had substance and alcohol problems, but was a good guy from an even better family.  Not sure why I’m writing all this, but hope no one here rags on this guy too much.  He was a good guy who was trying hard to get better.  RIP Colt.

  • Sad 6
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I’m good friends with the Brennan family.  They are a big, close family who are heavily involved in football. His cousin who I’m the closest with played at Arizona and was roommates with Luke Walton..we became friends when he was playing professionally in Japan ( yes they have a pro football league in Japan).  His brother is head coach At San Jose St and was just named coach of the year of the mountain west division. I met Colt at a number of their family parties.  He was never the same after a car accident he was a passenger in that his girlfriend had.  Guy always had substance and alcohol problems, but was a good guy from an even better family.  Not sure why I’m writing all this, but hope no one here rags on this guy too much.  He was a good guy who was trying hard to get better.  RIP Colt.

2 guy’s I work with lost kids to heroin, my daughters friend is in rehab right now. It’s so sad and tragic 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, ryu79 said:

Not all college production is created equal (I'd argue production in SEC is as good of an indicator that were gonna find, if any are of relevance).

Also, you made me Google Colt Brennan, that is one scary Wiki. Background checks are a good idea!

Jesus, this comment didn't age well. Colt Brennan dead at 37.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dcat said:

I was at the near perfect game against the cubbies in July '69. By the end of June, the Mets were a thing.  Seaver and koosman were mowing them all down game after game.  There was electricity that summer.  We knew they were going to catch the Cubs.  My grandfather always had connections to tickets to any sport and there we were that night in a Loge box seat right above the Cubs batting circle.  Check out the crowd ofr an early July game.  Not an empty seat.  What a game.  What a pitcher.  RIP #41.

(Booooo Jimmy Qualls wherever you are)

 

 

Jimmy Qualls.  A name no Met fan (of a certain age) will ever forget.

Was not at any of the big, memorable games in '69.  I was at the Rose-Harrelson game in 1973.  Still have the ticket stub from that one.  Ticket stubs - another item that only fans of a certain age will remember.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dcat said:

Were you there for the black cat?  Most amazing thing ever.

That one I saw on channel 9.

For people who don't know... the 1969 Mets were the first time the franchise wasn't terrible. They trailed the dominating Cubs in NL East, Cubs being a "lock" (so they all said) to win the pennant. As Summer was nearing an end, the Mets caught up to the Cubs.  In a home game, a black cat found its way onto the field and proceeded to run back in forth right in front of the Cubs dugout and the immortal Leo Daroucher. 

Amazing.  Of course Mets went on to win that pennant and then in the World Series destroy the heavily favored "unbeatable" Orioles in 5 games.  Now remember, it wasn't too long after the NY Jets and Joe Namath defeated the "unbeatable" Baltimore Colts  in SB III.  NYC > Baltimore.  Those poor 1969  Baltimorians.  

Knicks won that year also..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...