Bring Back Classic Jets Uniforms

Bring Back Classic Jets Uniforms   

168 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ditch the current Jets uniform set for an updated version of the classic look?

• Yes - We look like a semi-pro team
    • No - Keep the current set

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

jamalhybrid.jpg

Concussions.

That's why the NFL mandated the one-helmet rule circa 2013.  There is a rumor that the league will follow the NCAA's lead-  they have multiple helmets in multiple colors and statistically no increase/decrease in concussion rate-  but that's just a rumor.

That said, this isn't bad.  We can have our '68/'17 jerseys and pants with the '19 green helmet.

SAR I

If given the choice- and I had to pick one or the other. I’d keep the uniform ( minus the ugly ass black one) and the white helmet. If really given a choice and not one or the other.I’d go back to the old one but with this shade of green - but never use the green pants.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The new uniform is fine.  Clean, modern, not over the top.  It's essentially an updated version of the 80's uniform.

I'm not a fan of the NEW YORK across the chest.  I wasn't a big fan of the logo on the helmet, but it has grown on me.

Have you seen some of the other trash Nike has been producing for other teams?  The Jets got lucky all things considered.

The New York is the worst part of the uniform. Football teams dont have the name written across the chest. The logo is on the helmet.

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The New York is the worst part of the uniform. Football teams dont have the name written across the chest. The logo is on the helmet.

The New York and the football on the football helmet both drive me bonkers.

1 hour ago, derp said:

The New York and the football on the football helmet both drive me bonkers.

New-York-Jets-Mini-Replica-Helmet.jpg

The Jets have had the football on the helmet for 50 years.  There are two of them, in fact.  They cut it down to one and got rid of the "NY", hardly a crime.

Ucontext.jpg

Plenty of other teams have printing across the chest of the jersey.  By removing the NY from the helmet and moving it to the jersey front it cleans up the helmet and adds interest where many other teams have put it.  

And in the big picture, compared to some of these fugly Nike designs, the Jets did good.  Very simple, nod to the 80's design, shoulder stripes are wings or a fuselage conveying flight.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

New-York-Jets-Mini-Replica-Helmet.jpg

The Jets have had the football on the helmet for 50 years.  There are two of them, in fact.  They cut it down to one and got rid of the "NY", hardly a crime.

Ucontext.jpg

Plenty of other teams have printing across the chest of the jersey.  By removing the NY from the helmet and moving it to the jersey front it cleans up the helmet and adds interest where many other teams have put it.  

And in the big picture, compared to some of these fugly Nike designs, the Jets did good.  Very simple, nod to the 80's design, shoulder stripes are wings or a fuselage conveying flight.

SAR I

I don’t understand why you’ve chosen this issue to argue with everyone. I personally don’t like the redo and didn’t from the start. You telling me they’re good isn’t going to change my perspective.

I didn’t like the football before. I had actually hoped they would get rid of it with the new uniforms. It’s more prominent now. So a huge swing and a miss as far as what I wanted to see on the redo. And the 80’s uniforms you keep telling everyone these are exactly the same as? No football on the helmet, so maybe not 50 consecutive years of football on the helmet.

And no lettering on those exactly the same 80’s uniforms either. The lettering for the other teams is bad to awful - just because other teams do it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. None of the classic NFL jerseys are in your post, they’re all bad modern ones folks will make fun of in 20 years. 

And beyond that, Jets’ lettering is easily the second most prominent behind the absolutely horrific Falcons jerseys. Absolutely no subtlety - which is what all good NFL jerseys have in common. Clean, simple. Not gigantic NEW YORK across the chest and extra reminders of what sport they’re playing on a piece of equipment that’s a clear indicator of the sport they’re playing.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t understand why you’ve chosen this issue to argue with everyone. I personally don’t like the redo and didn’t from the start. You telling me they’re good isn’t going to change my perspective.

I didn’t like the football before. I had actually hoped they would get rid of it with the new uniforms. It’s more prominent now. So a huge swing and a miss as far as what I wanted to see on the redo. And the 80’s uniforms you keep telling everyone these are exactly the same as? No football on the helmet, so maybe not 50 consecutive years of football on the helmet.

And no lettering on those exactly the same 80’s uniforms either. The lettering for the other teams is bad to awful - just because other teams do it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. None of the classic NFL jerseys are in your post, they’re all bad modern ones folks will make fun of in 20 years. 

And beyond that, Jets’ lettering is easily the second most prominent behind the absolutely horrific Falcons jerseys. Absolutely no subtlety - which is what all good NFL jerseys have in common. Clean, simple. Not gigantic NEW YORK across the chest and extra reminders of what sport they’re playing on a piece of equipment that’s a clear indicator of the sport they’re playing.

It’s easy to argue with you because you don’t make any sense. Nike nailed the New Jersey design.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Pretty much. The Falcons rebrand was a disaster. If the Jets were to remove the amateur hour New York across the chest and make the stripes traditional football stripes the uniform would be fine and you could even live with the pointless black addition.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much. The Falcons rebrand was a disaster. If the Jets were to remove the amateur hour New York across the chest and make the stripes traditional football stripes the uniform would be fine and you could even live with the pointless black addition.

Now that they have some actual players on offense it will be a top selling jersey in the NFL in spite of your dislike for it

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

And showing up here telling me they suck is going to change mine?

2 hours ago, derp said:

And the 80’s uniforms you keep telling everyone these are exactly the same as? No football on the helmet, so maybe not 50 consecutive years of football on the helmet.

The essence of the 80s uniform is what everyone was clamoring for, not a full-on throwback.  Team ownership decided to get rid of the oval, relocate the NY, and move on.  It's not that big a deal.  The shifting metallic green gradient and color depth is one of the tops in the league.

And the essence of the 80s helmet logo lives on-  the angled shoulder stripes are right off the tail of the "J" from the old helmet logo.

2 hours ago, derp said:

None of the classic NFL jerseys are in your post, they’re all bad modern ones folks will make fun of in 20 years. 

We've been in throwback uniforms for the last 20 years.  It was time to go modern.  I appreciate the decision and applaud the effort.  I am NOT in the 80s influence camp.  I desperately wanted to stick with white helmets.  You guys brought that on yourselves. 

2 hours ago, derp said:

and extra reminders of what sport they’re playing on a piece of equipment that’s a clear indicator of the sport they’re playing.

balls.jpg

Yeah, the Jets are the only local sports team guilty of that crime.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

vksyx3laotlf0pivefqo

Everyone was screaming for a year that the Jets helmet should have a jet on it, an airplane, some even said a fighter plane or a missle, something to do with the concept of flight.

So Nike took the tip of the "J" from the old helmet logo, turned it into a pair of wings (or fuselage, or contrail) and put it across the front of the jersey.  And they still complain?

Instead of something cheesy like bengal stripes or lightening bolts, we got some subtle tapering of a shoulder stripe.  I think its the best part of the jersey.  It's quite clever.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And showing up here telling me they suck is going to change mine?

The essence of the 80s uniform is what everyone was clamoring for, not a full-on throwback.  Team ownership decided to get rid of the oval, relocate the NY, and move on.  It's not that big a deal.  The shifting metallic green gradient and color depth is one of the tops in the league.

And the essence of the 80s helmet logo lives on-  the angled shoulder stripes are right off the tail of the "J" from the old helmet logo.

We've been in throwback uniforms for the last 20 years.  It was time to go modern.  I appreciate the decision and applaud the effort.  I am NOT in the 80s influence camp.  I desperately wanted to stick with white helmets.  You guys brought that on yourselves. 

balls.jpg

Yeah, the Jets are the only local sports team guilty of that crime.

SAR I

I posted my opinion. YOU quoted ME. I am not telling you anything. You are telling me things.

You’re putting individual people in a bucket with what you’ve decided all other fans wanted, despite it not being what you wanted. I wanted a simple redesign with no football in the logo and no no noise like gigantic lettering in the jersey. So despite what you *think* I wanted, this isn’t it, or close. And you assuming what I wanted and then telling me this is it is absurd...I don’t know how you possibly think you could know.

Yeah you tried the other sport thing last time you picked an argument with me on this. It’s extraordinarily common in all those sports. This isn’t baseball, basketball, or hockey, and half of those logos aren’t part of the team’s uniforms. 
Now do all the football teams with footballs in their logos that go on the helmets. I imagine, like last time, you won’t have a response.

1 minute ago, derp said:

Yeah you tried that last time. It’s extraordinarily common in all those sports. Now do all the football teams with footballs in their logos.

SENTENCE.jpg

So you're saying that something the Jets have been doing uniquely for 50 years is bad because we didn't copy everyone else?

The origin of the Jets logo is that we were a struggling AFL franchise in a huge city with too many sports teams in a sport that wasn't exceptionally popular.

The logo says "New York Jets Football".  There's an NY.  There's the word "Jets".  And there's a football.

The wordmark "Jets" and the little football is our logo.  Always has been, except for the span when we went full boring in the 80's.

SAR I

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Look around the league, they do now.

This one is the hardest to understand, every sport has team names on their uniforms.  Baseball, Hockey, Basketball.  

I became a fan of the team in 1968.  Frankly I like the current design. Once we start winning this design will be associated with winning.  To me the classic Patriots uniform (red white and blue with the colonial patriot hiking the ball) was a great uniform but I associate the current Patriot design with winning.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Now do all the football teams with footballs in their logos that go on the helmets. I imagine, like last time, you won’t have a response.

49ers - Helmet logo in shape of a football.

Packers - Helmet logo in shape of a football.

Buccaneers - Helmet logo with football on flag.

Browns - Primary team logo is a football helmet.

Raiders - Helmet logo features a football helmet.

Football Team - "Washington" and "Football" is literally their logo in its entirety.

Now don't ask me again.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Football Team - "Washington" and "Football" is literally their logo in its entirety.

Now don't ask me again.

SAR I

You are on your "A" game, keep it up!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Wait, you start off telling him "You telling me they’re good isn’t going to change my perspective."

Then go on a 3 paragraph diatribe telling him why they're not good to change his perspective.

I find the whole "I hate uniform X and love uniform Y" perspective, as if anyone's opinion is right, more than others

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SENTENCE.jpg

So you're saying that something the Jets have been doing uniquely for 50 years is bad because we didn't copy everyone else?

The origin of the Jets logo is that we were a struggling AFL franchise in a huge city with too many sports teams in a sport that wasn't exceptionally popular.

The logo says "New York Jets Football".  There's an NY.  There's the word "Jets".  And there's a football.

The wordmark "Jets" and the little football is our logo.  Always has been, except for the span when we went full boring in the 80's.

SAR I

No, I’m not. You, like always, are changing the argument to deflect from the question I asked you. Putting equipment in the logos is common in other sports. Not in football. And as I pointed out when I added to the post, the majority of those logos aren’t part of the uniforms those teams wear.

Also, something a team has done for 50 years *except almost 20 years in the middle* isn’t actually something that a team has done for almost 50 years.

If the Washington Football Team doesn’t change their name and decides to put a football on their new helmet, that would make sense to *me*. *My* opinion is that the Jets are not the New York Footballs, and I personally am not a fan of putting a football instead of something related to the team’s name on a piece of equipment exclusively used for that sport. Regardless of whether they’ve done it for 50 years with an almost 20 year gap.

I thought they had an opportunity to do something creative with the team’s name as a part of their base logo and the name. They didn’t. They put wings facing each other instead of outward on the jerseys. You posting pictures of the other sports logos, old Jets logos, and the wings won’t change *my* perspective that the redesign is not what *I* wanted to see as a fan. You think they did a great job. That’s wonderful. Enjoy the uniforms.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Now don't ask me again.

SAR I

So...only the Bucs. If the Jets put a football on a Jet I wouldn’t mind so much.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, you start off telling him "You telling me they’re good isn’t going to change my perspective."

Then go on a 3 paragraph diatribe telling him why they're not good to change his perspective.

I find the whole "I hate uniform X and love uniform Y" perspective, as if anyone's opinion is right, more than others

I’m not trying to change his perspective. I’m annoyed he’s telling me to change mine.

So...only the Bucs. If the Jets put a football on a Jet I wouldn’t mind so much.
I can see both sides of the argument .

Having a jet as part of a logo makes sense the problem arises when you try to do it graphically with some sense of design that doesn't look cheezy.

Personally, I liked the green that was used prior to the current green ... it was more military green ....but I know I'm minority. It just seemed more Smash Mouth.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Look around the league, they do now.

This one is the hardest to understand, every sport has team names on their uniforms.  Baseball, Hockey, Basketball.  

The best and most classic football uniforms do not. And if they do it’s subtle.

• Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

vksyx3laotlf0pivefqo

Everyone was screaming for a year that the Jets helmet should have a jet on it, an airplane, some even said a fighter plane or a missle, something to do with the concept of flight.

So Nike took the tip of the "J" from the old helmet logo, turned it into a pair of wings (or fuselage, or contrail) and put it across the front of the jersey.  And they still complain?

Instead of something cheesy like bengal stripes or lightening bolts, we got some subtle tapering of a shoulder stripe.  I think its the best part of the jersey.  It's quite clever.

SAR I

The stripes are straight out of the early 2000’s template and looked dated the second the Jets introduced the jersey. Denver went with them back in 97 and then a ton of college teams followed it. The traditional stripes like Wilson had at BYU are timeless.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The best and most classic football uniforms do not. And if they do it’s subtle.

I'd say every new design has included the city or team name on the fronts of their uniforms.  Like it or not it sure seems to be the trend. 

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'd say every new design has included the city or team name on the fronts of their uniforms.  Like it or not it sure seems to be the trend. 

Cleveland got rid of it and it looks much better. Just keep it classic.

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, derp said:

No, I’m not. You, like always, are changing the argument to deflect from the question I asked you. Putting equipment in the logos is common in other sports. Not in football. And as I pointed out when I added to the post, the majority of those logos aren’t part of the uniforms those teams wear.

Also, something a team has done for 50 years *except almost 20 years in the middle* isn’t actually something that a team has done for almost 50 years.

If the Washington Football Team doesn’t change their name and decides to put a football on their new helmet, that would make sense to *me*. *My* opinion is that the Jets are not the New York Footballs, and I personally am not a fan of putting a football instead of something related to the team’s name on a piece of equipment exclusively used for that sport. Regardless of whether they’ve done it for 50 years with an almost 20 year gap.

I thought they had an opportunity to do something creative with the team’s name as a part of their base logo and the name. They didn’t. They put wings facing each other instead of outward on the jerseys. You posting pictures of the other sports logos, old Jets logos, and the wings won’t change *my* perspective that the redesign is not what *I* wanted to see as a fan. You think they did a great job. That’s wonderful. Enjoy the uniforms.

chicago-bears-full-size-replica-riddell-

I forgot one.  The Bears actually have 2 footballs on their helmet.  The outer "C" and the inner "c" are both footballs, the one on the inside is even in simulated motion.

So that's 8 teams, or a quarter of the league, that have something very hokey and related directly to the sport of football on their helmets or jerseys or coaches gear.

Should I add the other ones that must be nonsensical to you?  Like a star on the Cowboys helmet?  Who needs that?  Bengal stripes?  A literal Jaguar head?  A full sized Buffalo?   A full sized Lion? 

And what about the pretend Vikings and Rams with horns, literally, coming out of their brains?

Outrage!  Anger!  

SAR I

• WTF? 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

OK.  But you are, just saying.

I know my username is derp but I’ve seen SAR post about the uniforms for some time and when I posted above I was well aware nothing I post is going to change his opinion. 

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, though. Based on that post I see why you might take his side. Two peas.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Cleveland got rid of it and it looks much better. Just keep it classic.

I was petrified the Jets would have "New York" or "Jets" written up the pant leg that was a short-lived trend a couple years ago.

• Upvote 1

chicago-bears-full-size-replica-riddell-helmet_ss2_p-10987945+u-pd3t5gk4m3008isgqfj2+v-f1644c7462fc435f804b94fd2fa1bea9.jpg?_hv=1&w=900
I forgot one.  The Bears actually have 2 footballs on their helmet.  The outer "C" and the inner "c" are both footballs, the one on the inside is even in simulated motion.
So that's 8 teams, or a quarter of the league, that have something very hokey and related directly to the sport of football on their helmets or jerseys or coaches gear.
Should I add the other ones that must be nonsensical to you?  Like a star on the Cowboys helmet?  Who needs that?  Bengal stripes?  A literal Jaguar head?  A full sized Buffalo?   A full sized Lion? 
And what about the pretend Vikings and Rams with horns, literally, coming out of their brains?
Outrage!  Anger!  
SAR I
All I know is that the NY Jets need a better design team and until that happens ... go 'old school '

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

chicago-bears-full-size-replica-riddell-

Outrage!  Anger!  

SAR I

Yes obviously two footballs on the Bears helmet. Excellent point. Quarter of the league.

Shame on me for hoping for something more creative than the team name and a ball.