Colts owner planning to extend Dungy's deal

RSJ

I guess some owners besides ours really are happy with just making the playoffs.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/231491-9196-036.html

Colts owner planning to extend Dungy's deal

Irsay happy with team's success, wants to add to 2 remaining years on coach's pact.

Coach Tony Dungy has compiled a 37-17 overall record. The 37 wins rank fourth in Colts history. -- Matt Kryger / The Star

By Mike Chappell

mike.chappell@indystar.com

March 24, 2005

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- Tony Dungy's string of success as the Indianapolis Colts' coach won't go unrewarded.

Jim Irsay said during a break at the NFL owners' meetings this week that he intends to sign Dungy to a contract extension before training camp, which opens in late July. Dungy has two years remaining on the five-year, $13 million deal he signed in 2002.

"He can sign an extension tonight as far as I'm concerned," Irsay said. "We're not going to talk about it that much, but we'll do it.

"He certainly deserves one, sooner than most."

In three seasons, Dungy has directed the Colts to three playoff appearances, including a trip to the AFC Championship game after the 2003 season, and an overall record of 37-17. The 37 wins rank fourth in franchise history.

"We've talked," Irsay said, "but we have the type of relationship that Tony will coach here basically as long as he wants."

Dungy, 49, has made it clear he has no interest in seeing how long he can handle the rigors of being a head coach in the NFL. He spent his first six years as a head coach with Tampa Bay before being fired after the 2001 season. He is a father of five and has the desire to expand his already vigorous community-related activities.

Dungy acknowledged discussing an extension with Irsay, adding, "we'll see what makes sense. I know I don't want to work anywhere else, so there's no big hurry.

"As long as I want to coach and as long as they want me, I think it will work out."

Archived