Interesting Gettleman Interview last Night on NFL Network

Actually came across as pretty funny and personable. DJ was asking him about the trade in rd 1, and said obviously you have to have 4-5 guys you are really comfortable with that you'll take at your new spot., obviously referring to Toney, who many were shocked that he took there. Gettleman said yes, he was on the list, but then said "and Washington took Jamin right before us." Sounds like Jamin Davis would have been the pick. Interesting that he would be that honest.

• Sympathy 1

This is why you can't afford to get too cute in trade downs ... if there's a guy you specifically want, you take him. If you don't mind and you trade down, you can't then regret who got picked ahead of you. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This is why you can't afford to get too cute in trade downs ... if there's a guy you specifically want, you take him. If you don't mind and you trade down, you can't then regret who got picked ahead of you. 

Agree with you. I honestly don't remember a GM openly giving out the name of a player picked right in front of him that they targeted. Usually, it's " we were nervous watching, but were thrilled he was still there" stuff.

• Sympathy 1

Agree with you. I honestly don't remember a GM openly giving out the name of a player picked right in front of him that they targeted. Usually, it's " we were nervous watching, but were thrilled he was still there" stuff.
He certainly leaves himself open to criticism / doubt with comments like that one.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Actually came across as pretty funny and personable. DJ was asking him about the trade in rd 1, and said obviously you have to have 4-5 guys you are really comfortable with that you'll take at your new spot., obviously referring to Toney, who many were shocked that he took there. Gettleman said yes, he was on the list, but then said "and Washington took Jamin right before us." Sounds like Jamin Davis would have been the pick. Interesting that he would be that honest.

Which is probably why they were thrilled to get their edge guy in the 2nd.  Would they have taken a wr in the 2nd, who knows.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The draft is over and we have a draft forum.  It's been 6 months of talking about sweaty college boys.  Enough.

SAR I

Hmmmm sweaty college boys....err I mean I see what you’re saying...

• Post of the Week 1

Funny because Urban Meyer said almost the same thing about why they took Travis Etienne at 25 was because the Giants took Toney at 20 insinuating they had Toney rated higher and wanted him.

As a fan I love getting nuggets of insight like these but for Gettlemen and Meyer I think it's a bad look - never let them know what you're thinking and don't make the guys you did draft feel like Plan B's (even if they are). 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Of course he was comfortable that Toney being around at 20. He also would have been around at 30 and likely somewhere in the 2nd round.