Larry Grantham is an open and shut HOF'er

people tend to forget how loaded that sb III teams was.  they beat the colts which was supposed to be the cat's meow of all football not just the nfl.  randy rasmussen for one and maybe john schmitt.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, rangerous said:

people tend to forget how loaded that sb III teams was.  they beat the colts which was supposed to be the cat's meow of all football not just the nfl.  randy rasmussen for one and maybe john schmitt.

People don’t forget brother.  Most weren’t alive 

• Upvote 2

“Grantham, who died in 2017, has never been a Hall-of-Fame finalist, and, frankly, probably never will be. He’s not on the short list of the Hall’s senior committee. But that doesn’t mean he’s not worthy of Canton … because he is. What he isn’t is remembered by all but the most loyal Jets’ fans. And that’s a shame.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I have a signed photo and a personal handwritten thank you letter from Larry Grantham when I donated to a private fund through his charity to help with his medical bills and to try to buy his SB III ring back. I was stunned when I received it in the mail.

He had auctioned it off on ebay to pay for his cancer treatment and initially the guy who bought it played dumb who sold it/put it up for sale. It's gray exactly how he got it back, but I can almost guarantee it was not Woody Johnson. He had a tough life after football and struggled with alcohol but got clean years and years ago and came out better on the other side. He was a sweet, humble man who died sober, and he never forgot the poison he very nearly killed himself with and the muck he crawled out of. RIP, Mr. Grantham. 

I can post the photo and letter later. I hope he gets into the HOF posthumously like Winston Hill (better late than never), but I doubt it. : /

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

People don’t forget brother.  Most weren’t alive 

Yep. My point is that ,at the time, the colts were supposed to be a football powerhouse and the jets (as well as the AFL) just couldn’t match up with any NFL team.  The Raiders had gotten pummeled by the Packers and so had the Chiefs.  As it turned out the jets had a pretty loaded team and could match up with any NFL team.  It’s not like they should’ve been such underdogs.

• Upvote 1

Just an odd little fact.

1968 NFL season leaders in Receiving Yards: 

Rk Player Tm Age Pos G GS Rec Yds
Y/R TD Lng Y/Tgt R/G Y/G Fmb
1 Roy Jefferson* PIT 25 FL 14 13 58 1074 18.5 11 62   4.1 76.7 3
2 Paul Warfield* CLE 26 LE 14 14 50 1067 21.3 12 65   3.6 76.2 0
3 Homer Jones* NYG 27 LE 14 14 45 1057 23.5 7 84   3.2 75.5 0
4 Lance Rentzel DAL 25 FL 14 14 54 1009 18.7 6 65   3.9 72.1 2
5 Clifton McNeil*+ SFO 28 FL 14 14 71 994 14.0 7 65   5.1 71.0 1

Roy Jefferson led the league with 1,074 yards.

Same season, both Maynard (1,297) and Sauer (1,141) had more yards, on the same team!

Yes, Joe would have led the NFL in passing yards as well.

• Upvote 1

Wonderful player.  Undersized with a gigantic heart.  Statistics never measure this.  Same with Namath.  They were leaders and played fearlessly, sacrificing for the good of the team.  He won't get into the HOF nor will Joe Klecko.  That's why I will never step foot in that building.  I wonder if the NFL's hatred for the Jets stems from the humiliating defeat the old timers suffered in SB III.  Unless you were around, you will never fully understand the resentment.

• Post of the Week 1
13 hours ago, rangerous said:

My memory of Randy Rasmussen was that Randy was not a dominating player, but a player that never missed a snap.  He was a guy that never got injured, and played every single snap of every single game.  I don't remember him getting flagged very often, and always a solid player.  Randy was good because he was just a guy that you could just plug him in on the offensive guard position, and then basically forget about him.  Not dominating, but someone you could al\ways count on to be a steady competent player.