I'm a BYU grad and former hater of the NY Jets. As of 8 days ago I'm a die-hard Jets fan:). Here's what I know (I'm a bit defensive about Zach/BYU so I had to give you some info about my team too):

11 hours ago, thshadow said:

Any thoughts on one concern: it seems like he always has all day to throw.  That's ...  not going to happen here...  Forget about pressure off the field, he's going to face a ton of it *on* the field.

Really? Because one of his most talked about upsides is his ability to throw on the move

2009-10 brought in plenty of hate, I must admit.  We were league darlings for a bit.  Gained a lot of media attention those years before it all fell apart.  So I suppose the haters came out of the woodwork thanks to all the attention.  Recall that we were getting lots of nationally televised games 2 years after 2010.  Not everyone got that kind of treatment across the league.  When the Jets are good, its a Jets town in the biggest media market in the nation.  That plays a significant role in attracting strong dislike.

Rex and his personality also greatly contributed to the haters.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Am I the only one astonished someone who isn't a Jets or AFCE rival fan would say the Jets are their least favorite team?  That's like me saying I hate the Seattle Mariners or Washington Wizards.  I didn't think the Jets were relevant enough for people to hate.

Its just as odd to me as those NY'rs who say their favorite teams are the Cowboys, 49rs, Steelers, whoever or NY basketball fans who's team is the Lakers

Always looked at them as bandwagon fans.  Somehow is acceptable with football and basketball fans, never seems to be the case with baseball fans

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MykePM said:

You didn't mention the two words that were most responsible for the hate inspired by the 2009-2010 Jets: Rex Ryan.  Many (if not most) of us loved him during his first two seasons, because of the 2 AFC Championship Game berths and because he brought a swagger that can totally change a downtrodden franchise (and did, albeit temporarily).  My experience with people who weren't Jets fans was that they most commonly saw him as an obnoxious idiot and they were put off by his antics - particularly when the winning stopped and he lost the cachet that came with it - and that hate got projected onto the Jets as a whole.

I'm hoping that Coach Saleh can bring transformative juice that comes from high energy, intelligence, and positivism instead of macho buffoonery.  So far so good.

i try to forget the name Rex Ryan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

268987a8-e8c2-47aa-9c2f-413aa603ab04_tex

tina turner auntie entity GIF

So how are we initiating new recruits? I guess they gotta fly in for a game and we square them off in a pregame tailgate battle royal to demonstrate their worthiness. Losers get dumped in the swamp while winners get an over priced half frozen jumbo pretzel. Wait no, winners get a Z-Dub bobble head doll.

16 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

ON THE JETS:

1. The Jets have been my least favorite NFL team for my entire 43 years of existence. They simply have not been a fun team to watch, and to make them even less likeable they hired Adam Gase when the entire world knew it was an awful decision. It was crystal clear in Miami that he was a train wreck.   
  2. The Jets have had crappy ownership with the Johnson family for a long time, and have only recently relinquished some control to their new GM Joe D.
  3. Joe D has brought new life to the fan base due to his hiring and firing decisions, and this year's draft class (last year's was good because of Becton, but not great). I loved the first 4 picks this year. I think the last few rounds were dart throws at athleticism, which I can understand. Getting E. Moore and Carter in 2nd and 4th was awesome. Moore will be an NFL star in my opinion. I had him as the 2nd best WR next to Chase. Smith and Waddle are really good too, but I think Moore is more versatile.
  4. Jets fans have tons of resources. I'm amazed at all the podcasts. I've been listening non stop. For a fan base that has dealt with absolute crap for so long (yeah I know about the two AFC championship appearances with Sanchez), there is massive love for the team and organization. I have huge respect for that and it's made it easy to convert to Jetsism.
  5. Jets have lots of unknowns with the coaching staff this year, but the O Line should be quite a bit improved. The offense should be conducive to allowing a rookie QB to get comfortable since it relies heavily on the run game (Shanahan). The Jets will finally have a jet sweep weapon in Moore to really get the Shanahan offense moving. WR core is much better. RBs are meh, but Shanahan system doesn't need great RBs. Defensive backfield has lots of options after this draft to find better players. And the Lawson signing was HUGE.

ON ZACH WILSON:

1. National pundits have been really negative about Wilson, yet I haven't heard a single Jets analyst/journalist say anything negative. Sure, some preferred Fields but overall Jets fans seem pretty excited about Zach The Kid Wilson. So many pundits talking non stop about his competition, despite the next pick Trey Lance playing 12 total games in the last 4 years and against total garbage competition. BYU's competition was a product of Covid this year. Wilson beat some decent teams in Boise State (murdered them), USC, Tennessee on the road, San Diego State, UCF, Navy, etc. Trey Lance beat Nichols and Sam Houston.
  2. I've seen every Wilson game for 3 years and every BYU game since they won a national championship the day I turned 7 years old. Our fans are everywhere around the country and our QB's face enormous pressure from our fan base. People don't realize this outside of Utah. Expectations are sky high for guys like Wilson, and the criticism is crippling for some (Zach and Taysom had to deal with major pressure from the fan base).
  3. We've had 65k at every football since Jim McMahon's junior season in 1980 when our stadium opened. We often show up to road games with more fans than the home teams. We have massive pride in our program so it pisses the hell out of us when idiots like Mel Kiper talk trash about BYU. We love QB's and we know when we have a good one. During my lifetime we've had drafted: Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco, Ty Detmer, John Walsh, Steve Sarkisian, Brandon Doman, John Beck, Max Hall (UDFA who started for the Cardinals), Taysom Hill, and Zach Wilson.
  4. Zach still looks 16 to me. It bugged me when he was a freshman and it still bugs me because its hard to imagine him leading huge linemen with that baby face, but they apparently don't mind so why should I? 
  5. Zach is a better runner than you think. You know he's mobile, but he's more mobile than you currently think he is. For some reason people keep saying his athleticism is nothing like Fields'. Uh, what? I'd say he is very similar athletically to Fields. They haven't watched anything beyond Zach's highlights of his throws. 
  6. Zach has one of the sweetest throwing motions and spirals you'll ever see. Like Aaron Rodger, you know you're watching a special passer when you watch him. His highlight footage just don't do him justice. The live game footage is much better for appreciating his passing. He throws a football like its a baseball, and he's insanely accurate.
  7. Zach has a lot of mojo and you could see it in his first start as a true freshman. His sophomore year sucked because of his shoulder injury. I thought he was ruined and kinda hoped our back-up would replace him as the starter. I am stupid. He was so good this year that it is hard to understand unless you watched every game. I thought every single throw was going to be a completion. Don't remember ever watching a QB that felt that way since Ty Heisman Detmer. 

So you are basically the Bizarro version of me. Cool. 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So you are basically the Bizarro version of me. Cool. 

@maury77

I thought you'd get a laugh out of this article about the Giants being owned by their biggest rivals on Day 1 of the draft.  What do you think?   Ultimately, he calls Toney a "consolation prize"  Do you think Moore > Toney? (Sorry for the crappy source) 

Giants Were ‘Livid’ About 1 Team’s 1st Round NFL Draft Pick

Dan Lyons  22 hrs ago
The New York Giants were clearly targeting wide receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft, which took place last week. For a while, it looked like Alabama’s DeVonta Smith, the 2020 Heisman winner, would fall in their laps, until two of their NFC East rivals—the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboysmade a big first round swap.

Dallas traded out of the No. 10 spot, sending it to Philly, who nabbed Smith one pick ahead of where the Giants were set to select. The Cowboys would go on to take Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons at No. 12.

After the Eagles’ move, the Giants made a big deal of their own, trading back to No. 20, allowing the Chicago Bears to come up and take Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields. New York would get a receiver, taking Florida’s explosive Kadarius Toney. He could wind up being a game-breaking Tyreek Hill type, but he isn’t quite the do-it-all, reliable playmaker that Smith is.

ESPN‘s Adam Rittenberg spoke to anonymous college coaches who weighed in on how the NFL Draft played out. Among the most interesting notes is that an SEC defensive coordinator said that the Giants “wanted DeVonta bad,” and “were pretty livid when Philly moved in front of them.”

That reaction makes sense. The Giants went from thinking they had one of the most productive wide receivers in college football history, to having to face him twice in a season, after a trade between their two biggest rivals. That definitely stings.

Toney could be a nice consolation prize, and the Giants got back Chicago’s 2022 first and fourth-round picks. That first-rounder could wind up being very valuable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

@maury77

I thought you'd get a laugh out of this article about the Giants being owned by their biggest rivals on Day 1 of the draft.  What do you think?   Ultimately, he calls Toney a "consolation prize"  Do you think Moore > Toney? (Sorry for the crappy source) 

Giants Were ‘Livid’ About 1 Team’s 1st Round NFL Draft Pick

Dan Lyons  22 hrs ago
The New York Giants were clearly targeting wide receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft, which took place last week. For a while, it looked like Alabama’s DeVonta Smith, the 2020 Heisman winner, would fall in their laps, until two of their NFC East rivals—the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboysmade a big first round swap.

Dallas traded out of the No. 10 spot, sending it to Philly, who nabbed Smith one pick ahead of where the Giants were set to select. The Cowboys would go on to take Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons at No. 12.

After the Eagles’ move, the Giants made a big deal of their own, trading back to No. 20, allowing the Chicago Bears to come up and take Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields. New York would get a receiver, taking Florida’s explosive Kadarius Toney. He could wind up being a game-breaking Tyreek Hill type, but he isn’t quite the do-it-all, reliable playmaker that Smith is.

ESPN‘s Adam Rittenberg spoke to anonymous college coaches who weighed in on how the NFL Draft played out. Among the most interesting notes is that an SEC defensive coordinator said that the Giants “wanted DeVonta bad,” and “were pretty livid when Philly moved in front of them.”

That reaction makes sense. The Giants went from thinking they had one of the most productive wide receivers in college football history, to having to face him twice in a season, after a trade between their two biggest rivals. That definitely stings.

Toney could be a nice consolation prize, and the Giants got back Chicago’s 2022 first and fourth-round picks. That first-rounder could wind up being very valuable.

Their misery makes me happy.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

ON THE JETS:

1. The Jets have been my least favorite NFL team for my entire 43 years of existence. They simply have not been a fun team to watch, and to make them even less likeable they hired Adam Gase when the entire world knew it was an awful decision. It was crystal clear in Miami that he was a train wreck.   
  2. The Jets have had crappy ownership with the Johnson family for a long time, and have only recently relinquished some control to their new GM Joe D.
  3. Joe D has brought new life to the fan base due to his hiring and firing decisions, and this year's draft class (last year's was good because of Becton, but not great). I loved the first 4 picks this year. I think the last few rounds were dart throws at athleticism, which I can understand. Getting E. Moore and Carter in 2nd and 4th was awesome. Moore will be an NFL star in my opinion. I had him as the 2nd best WR next to Chase. Smith and Waddle are really good too, but I think Moore is more versatile.
  4. Jets fans have tons of resources. I'm amazed at all the podcasts. I've been listening non stop. For a fan base that has dealt with absolute crap for so long (yeah I know about the two AFC championship appearances with Sanchez), there is massive love for the team and organization. I have huge respect for that and it's made it easy to convert to Jetsism.
  5. Jets have lots of unknowns with the coaching staff this year, but the O Line should be quite a bit improved. The offense should be conducive to allowing a rookie QB to get comfortable since it relies heavily on the run game (Shanahan). The Jets will finally have a jet sweep weapon in Moore to really get the Shanahan offense moving. WR core is much better. RBs are meh, but Shanahan system doesn't need great RBs. Defensive backfield has lots of options after this draft to find better players. And the Lawson signing was HUGE.

ON ZACH WILSON:

1. National pundits have been really negative about Wilson, yet I haven't heard a single Jets analyst/journalist say anything negative. Sure, some preferred Fields but overall Jets fans seem pretty excited about Zach The Kid Wilson. So many pundits talking non stop about his competition, despite the next pick Trey Lance playing 12 total games in the last 4 years and against total garbage competition. BYU's competition was a product of Covid this year. Wilson beat some decent teams in Boise State (murdered them), USC, Tennessee on the road, San Diego State, UCF, Navy, etc. Trey Lance beat Nichols and Sam Houston.
  2. I've seen every Wilson game for 3 years and every BYU game since they won a national championship the day I turned 7 years old. Our fans are everywhere around the country and our QB's face enormous pressure from our fan base. People don't realize this outside of Utah. Expectations are sky high for guys like Wilson, and the criticism is crippling for some (Zach and Taysom had to deal with major pressure from the fan base).
  3. We've had 65k at every football since Jim McMahon's junior season in 1980 when our stadium opened. We often show up to road games with more fans than the home teams. We have massive pride in our program so it pisses the hell out of us when idiots like Mel Kiper talk trash about BYU. We love QB's and we know when we have a good one. During my lifetime we've had drafted: Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco, Ty Detmer, John Walsh, Steve Sarkisian, Brandon Doman, John Beck, Max Hall (UDFA who started for the Cardinals), Taysom Hill, and Zach Wilson.
  4. Zach still looks 16 to me. It bugged me when he was a freshman and it still bugs me because its hard to imagine him leading huge linemen with that baby face, but they apparently don't mind so why should I? 
  5. Zach is a better runner than you think. You know he's mobile, but he's more mobile than you currently think he is. For some reason people keep saying his athleticism is nothing like Fields'. Uh, what? I'd say he is very similar athletically to Fields. They haven't watched anything beyond Zach's highlights of his throws. 
  6. Zach has one of the sweetest throwing motions and spirals you'll ever see. Like Aaron Rodger, you know you're watching a special passer when you watch him. His highlight footage just don't do him justice. The live game footage is much better for appreciating his passing. He throws a football like its a baseball, and he's insanely accurate.
  7. Zach has a lot of mojo and you could see it in his first start as a true freshman. His sophomore year sucked because of his shoulder injury. I thought he was ruined and kinda hoped our back-up would replace him as the starter. I am stupid. He was so good this year that it is hard to understand unless you watched every game. I thought every single throw was going to be a completion. Don't remember ever watching a QB that felt that way since Ty Heisman Detmer. 

That's nice sir, but this is a Wendy's.

All aboard the Bandwagon, I guess.

See the source image

• Upvote 1

I’m surprised that you guys are surprised that I/we would be willing to become Jets fans. Many BYU fans have no NFL allegiance. Closest team is the Broncos, but Utahn aren’t big fans of anything in Denver. Zach/Jets has given us something to cheer for in the NFL, besides just watching games randomly to cheer for our Fantasy Football team. 

Steve Young created a huge swell of 49ers fans from BYU that are still Niners fans today. If things go well you’ll see a pretty big spike from the BYU fan base and it will last for a lifetime for a lot people. If things flame out fast, then yeah, it’ll be temporary no doubt. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

I’m surprised that you guys are surprised that I/we would be willing to become Jets fans. Many BYU fans have no NFL allegiance. Closest team is the Broncos, but Utahn aren’t big fans of anything in Denver. Zach/Jets has given us something to cheer for in the NFL, besides just watching games randomly to cheer for our Fantasy Football team. 

Steve Young created a huge swell of 49ers fans from BYU that are still Niners fans today. If things go well you’ll see a pretty big spike from the BYU fan base and it will last for a lifetime for a lot people. If things flame out fast, then yeah, it’ll be temporary no doubt. 

Cant wait for your 3rd post!

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

DIE HARD! 

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:10 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

I remember the Teblow fans here. Also that USC lady came over with Darnold. It’s a trend I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First one I remember is @gcherd who followed the noodle arm here 

OP is correct about 1 thing. This team doesn’t deserve this fan base. The amount of content, analysis, forum posting, etc this fan base puts out is unparalleled in the league. Go look at other team’s fan forums, some have barely been updated in months. We have topic after topic daily. Blogs daily. Podcasts daily. It’s crazy.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

Steve Young was drafted by the Bucs.   Didn’t see any BYU gear at the SB celebration.  

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Bet anything in the world this is a bored old/current poster pulling out a new persona. Someone that hates the Jets more than any other NFL team but knows as much about the franchise as anyone posting here. ?

Trolly's back? 

Nico v.27

9 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

You came onto the board saying how you hate the Jets till now and that you're now a "die-hard" fan. What did you expect? Seriously. Get the f**k over yourself. Nobody gives a sh*t what a bunch of utah f**ks think about our Jets. 

• Upvote 1