I'm a BYU grad and former hater of the NY Jets. As of 8 days ago I'm a die-hard Jets fan:). Here's what I know (I'm a bit defensive about Zach/BYU so I had to give you some info about my team too):

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Welcome, and kudos for being pretty well informed about the Jets and reading up.  If you can translate your homerism for BYU into that for the Jets you'll find a few lifelong friends here. ? 

And don't worry what happened to @HelenOfTroy, @Zach Made Me a Jets Fan.  She was a thin-skinned USC fan.  Totally different mentality when compared to those tough, thick-skinned Mormon BYU supporters.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Am I the only one astonished someone who isn't a Jets or AFCE rival fan would say the Jets are their least favorite team?  That's like me saying I hate the Seattle Mariners or Washington Wizards.  I didn't think the Jets were relevant enough for people to hate.

2009-10 brought in plenty of hate, I must admit.  We were league darlings for a bit.  Gained a lot of media attention those years before it all fell apart.  So I suppose the haters came out of the woodwork thanks to all the attention.  Recall that we were getting lots of nationally televised games 2 years after 2010.  Not everyone got that kind of treatment across the league.  When the Jets are good, its a Jets town in the biggest media market in the nation.  That plays a significant role in attracting strong dislike.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Tebow years brought some really bizarre people out of the woodwork. They always referred to him as Timmy and the posts always seemed laden with Freudian slips.

Tebots as they were often called. It was always a hilarious confliction amongst his groupies about how deeply Christian he was yet how wildly gay his lisp. When he got married they were all I toldja to the air and I was all told me what to the air, I'm probably gayer than all of us put together, I'm a Jets fan. Next.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Am I the only one astonished someone who isn't a Jets or AFCE rival fan would say the Jets are their least favorite team?  That's like me saying I hate the Seattle Mariners or Washington Wizards.  I didn't think the Jets were relevant enough for people to hate.

Usually pathetic franchises are pitied.  Somehow the jets manage to even circumvent that.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's totally amazing. Not sure whether to be appalled or proud.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

the Jets have been on a decade long heel stint but everyone's hoping ZW turns them into a babyface

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2009-10 brought in plenty of hate, I must admit.  We were league darlings for a bit.  Gained a lot of media attention those years before it all fell apart.  So I suppose the haters came out of the woodwork thanks to all the attention.  Recall that we were getting lots of nationally televised games 2 years after 2010.  Not everyone got that kind of treatment across the league.  When the Jets are good, its a Jets town in the biggest media market in the nation.  That plays a significant role in attracting strong dislike.

You didn't mention the two words that were most responsible for the hate inspired by the 2009-2010 Jets: Rex Ryan.  Many (if not most) of us loved him during his first two seasons, because of the 2 AFC Championship Game berths and because he brought a swagger that can totally change a downtrodden franchise (and did, albeit temporarily).  My experience with people who weren't Jets fans was that they most commonly saw him as an obnoxious idiot and they were put off by his antics - particularly when the winning stopped and he lost the cachet that came with it - and that hate got projected onto the Jets as a whole.

I'm hoping that Coach Saleh can bring transformative juice that comes from high energy, intelligence, and positivism instead of macho buffoonery.  So far so good.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Usually pathetic franchises are pitied.  Somehow the jets manage to even circumvent that.

When someone realizes I'm a Jets fan, I do get some sympathy - but it's mostly from people who already know and like me.  In general, though, I don't think NFL fans are the pitying kind.  They love beating on teams that are perceived as losers - and their fans.  Look at how the Browns were treated until they started turning it around recently.  The franchises that escape this ridicule are the ones that are consistently bad without being complete laughingstocks (the Lions come to mind), and teams like the Jaguars that have a low profile.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Tebow years brought some really bizarre people out of the woodwork. They always referred to him as Timmy and the posts always seemed laden with Freudian slips.

Much like "Sammy"

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Imagine being an adult and willingly becoming a Jets fan?

Like doing heroin for the first time at 46 years old.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have been on a decade long heel stint but everyone's hoping ZW turns them into a babyface

Jobber. The Jets are jobbers now. They were Heels back when Rex was here.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Much like "Sammy"

I miss Sammy. 

Sammy, or Samantha, was my wife and I's cat when we first lived together. Tiny black cat who was funny as hell. Died of Feline Infectious Peritonitis at 4 years old. Her brother Luke, who will be 16 next month was never the same. 

Wait, what are we talking about?

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I can not comment more at this time until the board decides if you are allowed on the bandwagon. Seats are filling up fast.

:)

Who did you used to root for in the NFL? Thanks for signing up. Go Jets!

Oh yeah they tried to trick me with that too when I got in a few years ago. Did all kinds of unmentionable sh$t. But this is what it really looks like. 

9794B10C-2E55-4567-8AA5-4A3E25D1978E.gif

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sounds a lot like “Sammy” supporters 

8 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

ON THE JETS:

1. The Jets have been my least favorite NFL team for my entire 43 years of existence. They simply have

..... and here they all come. 

BYU/Wilson fans who honestly believe they have become true Jets fans because their BYU QB was drafted by the Jets. 

We've seen this before with Darnold, Tebow and others.  None of them were Jets fans.  More importantly, none of them became Jets fans.  They were out of here even long before the player they loved so much was out of here (See @HelenOfTroy) in true band-wagonner form.

Welcome to the board.  Bear in mind that you are a Wilson fan.  If you think this makes you a Jets fan, then power to you Jets "brother"  

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Pac said:

I imagine this fine gentleman expected a heros welcome and a flurry of questions about our new boy band qb after crafting that monologue and all he's been met with is snark. 

Well done Jets fans.

Introduced himself as a lifelong Jets hater with The Jets are his least favorite team in 43 years.  How endearing.  Why don't you pick him up at the airport and give him a tour?

5 hours ago, DLJ said:

Not sure you understand the term die hard but welcome

How does being a BYU/Wilson fan make someone a "die-hard" Jets fan?  After "hating" the Jets for all 43 years of his life?

Sorry.  Total B.S.  Just say you are a die hard Wilson fan and are rooting for him.  I'd have more respect for the honesty.

• Sympathy 2

Sorry. 

But I can't welcome a stranger with open arms who's hated my team. For no reason. 

From Utah? And um. He hated the Jets? 

The same Jets who've been embarrassed by N.E, Marino, Kelly for 40+ years?

The same underdog Jets who hasn't won a SB since my grandfather's golden days of Joe Namath 68/69?

People in Utah hate the underdog Jets?

For no reason?

You hated Gang Green more than the cheating Patriots?

Sorry. Thnx but no thnx. We can't be friends. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1