Division Rival analysis - Buffalo Bills Draft

Since we have reviewed the Jets draft and undrafted free agents, lets take a brief look at the drafts of our division rivals.  I will start with the Buffalo Bills.

Going into the draft the Bills were solid in most areas.  Ourlads said they could use a new corner to play opposite Tra'Davious White to compete with Levi Wallace who played most of last season.  Ourlads also said they should acquire a pass rusher to replace Trent Murphy and add depth at guard and a developmental offensive tackle.

With the 30th pick the Bills took Greg Rousseau.  He is 6' 6" 260 and had a 2d round grade.  He was considered one of the better pass rushers in the draft.  As I wrote before the draft:

'Greg Rousseau is 6' 6" 260 and carries a 2d round grade.  A polarizing prospect, his 2019 season yielded 15.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss.  He then sat out 2020.  Crafty and fast, he just consistently bags the QB and disrupts the running play.  At times he is awkward yet Ourlads said "he is wildly accurate and coordinated with his upper body".   A boom or bust prospect, it will be interesting to see who takes him.  It is hard to ignore production and this guy ends up with the ball-carrier.  He would be controversial at #23 but is another prototype prospect."  

He was picked around where he was rated.  He does fill the need for the Bills to obtain a pass rusher.  

With the 61st pick in the second round the Bills took Carlos Basham.  He is 6' 3" 280 and had a 2d round grade.  He is an inside out 4-3 defensive lineman who is as good against the run as he is against the pass.  Ourlads said "his power and hand striking are both elite".   He was a bargain at the end of the second round as he was the fifth best of the defensive ends.  

With the 93d pick the Bills took the developmental offensive tackle Spencer Brown.  He is 6' 8.5" 315 lbs and had a 2d round grade.  As I wrote before the draft:

"Spencer Brown is a classic penthouse or the outhouse prospect.  He carries a 2d round grade and is ranked 49th overall.  Remember, we are talking NFL offensive tackles.  These are rare human beings and are costly in draft capital and hard to find.  Sometimes you have to make a leap of faith.  Risky as hell.  Spencer Brown is out of Northern Iowa (aka - nowhere).  He played 8-man high school football in small school USA, played six games as a sophomore and had his season cancelled last year.   There is little tape on this guy.  Nevertheless, Ourlads writes "there are only so many humans who are 6' 8.5" with his feet and ability to bend their knees and most of them are playing power forward in the NBA."  He has "elite flexibility" for a tall lineman and has "rare traits and pro bowl potential".  He is the "top athlete" at tackle this year.  At the Senior Bowl, he was beat early but then showed why he is considered an "elite pass protector".  But he is RAW and will need a year to develop."

He was an absolute steal at the #93d pick.

In the 5th round with the 151st pick the bills took offensive tackle Tommy Doyle.  He is 6' 8" 315 and had a 4th round grade.  A four-year starter for Miami where he was teammates with Rousseau, he is a heavy footed right tackle prospect who is suited for the Bills man blocking gap scheme.  Ourlads said "he has all the necessary traits to develop into a good starting right tackle".  He was good value at the end of the fifth round.

In the 6th round the Bills took WR Marquez Stevenson.  He is 5' 10" 180 and runs 4.40.  He is a big play WR prospect with a slight frame who scored 27 touchdowns in his last 30 games.  He was picked where he was rated.

In the 6th round the Bills took Strong Safety Damar Hamlin.  He is 6' 200 and runs 4.6.  He is a tough box safety who makes plays at the line.   He was rated 7th among strong safeties (Sherwood was ranked 6th and Nasirildeen 3d).   He had a 4th round grade and was good value at the end of the 6th.

In the 7th the Bills took Corner Rashid Wildgoose.  He is 5' 10 200 lbs and runs 4.5.  He is a zone corner and Ourlads said he has some tools and is a worthy work in progress.  He was good value in the 7th and carried a 5th round grade. 

In the 7th the Bills took Guard Jack Anderson.  He is 6' 4" 310 and had a 6th round grade.  A four year starter, he is strong inside but is limited by his short arms. 

Overall, the Bills are rather solid so they were able draft two pass rushers early where they needed one.  They doubled up at tackle getting a steal in Brown and good value in Doyle.  There were no reaches.   

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Four players in this draft class had double digit sacks in 2019 at Power Five programs (none in the class did in 2020). The Bills took two in the first and second rounds. Minnesota took one in the sixth. Jets signed the fourth as a UDFA.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, derp said:

Four players in this draft class had double digit sacks in 2019 at Power Five programs (none in the class did in 2020). The Bills took two in the first and second rounds. Minnesota took one in the sixth. Jets signed the fourth as a UDFA.

This is where recognition, audible protection and execution can save us. Zack has a lot of film work ahead of him. Lefleur has a lot of coaching to do with so many rookies, running game imperative! Offensive Line must be stout

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Meh.34CB1FE9-D6B9-4412-89B8-396FE4143C87.thumb.jpeg.8cb77752bddd2f3a6276bdb15f7507e8.jpegBA1178C7-F2E4-4A4E-ABA5-8CDFB3610D60.thumb.jpeg.2b54c8b2fa3449d9975bf7e37add0b06.jpeg

I do like Wildgoose and Stevenson has potential. Rousseau has bust written all over him. 

The Bills are a good team but their secondary is coming apart a little and aging. Same goes for their pass rush and they continue to get weird players in the draft to try and fix it. McDermott is a great coach though and he’ll probably be able to make up for any roster deficiencies.

People trashed me the other day for saying this...they haven't drafted well in a few years and once they have to pay Allen it's gonna be harder to cover up those deficiencies and they may run into trouble...I personally would have went all in on offense this year with Eitenne and WR and try to win it before they pay Allen.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't Greg Rousseau have back issues? I'm not worried as their d is already good. So while one of those guys may help them he won't be replacing a total scrub and the upgrade will be more incremental than next level.

8 hours ago, Facts said:

I just looked up their draft picks the last couple of years. Ed Oliver (starter), Cody Ford (starter), Devin Singletary (starter), Dawson Knox (starter), Gabriel Davis (starter), Harrison Phillips (starter), Josh Allen (MVP candidate), and Tremaine Edmunds (Pro Bowler).

If that’s NOT drafting well, i’d love to see what you think drafting well

You didn't name any player that's not mediocre....2019 and 2020 draft classes a year later were ranked in the late 20's I'm talking about after the Allen draft in 2018.

1 hour ago, undertow said:

You didn't name any player that's not mediocre....2019 and 2020 draft classes a year later were ranked in the late 20's I'm talking about after the Allen draft in 2018.

Dude, teams would kill for that many average players in 2 drafts. I’m not gonna pretend to know the players super well but 7 bonafide starters in two drafts on a 13-3 team. Are you kidding me?

EDIT:  The Bills GM just won NFL executive of the year too lmao. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, undertow said:

The Bills 2020 1st round pick was basically Stefon Diggs.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Rousseau tested horribly, he's not enough of an athlete to be a pass rusher at this level. He's long and has a good motor but I thought that was a bad pick.

By contrast I liked the Bashasm pick. I think he's going to be a quality pass rusher and the better of the two.

I liked the Spencer Brown pick too. I think he goes higher if he's at a P5 school.

Can't pretend I've heard of anyone else they picked. Seems like a solid draft -- they're a pretty loaded team so it makes sense they went mostly after DL given they've been losing guys from that unit.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, Be_a_Jet said:

Between Rosseau or Basham they picked up their premier pass rusher. 

no way they both stink, they def saw how Mahomes was beat and we all know how Brady gets beat - nonstop pressure

I agree.  Rousseau is the bigger risk but sack masters are expensive.   He is a boom or bust prospect.  Bashem is a solid inside out player with honest three down ability.  When you add in last year's bargain in Espenosa who had a first round grade and went late in the second, they have stocked up on young defensive ends.  Building inside out is always a good idea.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, kdels62 said:

Meh.

I do like Wildgoose and Stevenson has potential. Rousseau has bust written all over him. 

The Bills are a good team but their secondary is coming apart a little and aging. Same goes for their pass rush and they continue to get weird players in the draft to try and fix it. McDermott is a great coach though and he’ll probably be able to make up for any roster deficiencies.

I agree Rousseau is a risky pick, I said as much in the opening post.  But pass rushers are expensive and his 2019 year was the bomb.  15.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss in the ACC is just wow production.  He was not a reach at #30. 

I too thought it odd that they did not draft a corner high.  There were several decent choices available on whom they passed like Campbell, Joseph and Samuel jr.  But I cannot argue with their approach.  When in doubt, draft inside out.  They take chess pieces. 

Stevenson had awesome production throughout his college career.    

On 5/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, derp said:

Production is production.  Hurries and pressures are not sacks.  May our Hamilcar turn out to be a steal. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:07 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

Doesn't Greg Rousseau have back issues? I'm not worried as their d is already good. So while one of those guys may help them he won't be replacing a total scrub and the upgrade will be more incremental than next level.

The issue with Rousseau was he is a one-year wonder who opted out last year.  Thus he is a risk since he has played only 15 games since High School.  But you are correct.  The Bills can afford to play him as a situational pass rusher since they are deep at defensive end.   

14 hours ago, Facts said:

I just looked up their draft picks the last couple of years. Ed Oliver (starter), Cody Ford (starter), Devin Singletary (starter), Dawson Knox (starter), Gabriel Davis (starter), Harrison Phillips (starter), Josh Allen (MVP candidate), and Tremaine Edmunds (Pro Bowler).

If that’s NOT drafting well, i’d love to see what you think drafting well is.

With respect to other posters, the Bills have been the bomb in the draft.  Again and again, they have landed the top guys despite drafting late in the first round.  Both the corner White and the LB Edmonds were top people who fell to the Bills as the league preferred other guys at those positions and the Bills were right and the others were wrong.  They are just chock full of young talent.  I would write a long post on it but everybody would throw rocks at me. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

The Bills 2020 1st round pick was basically Stefon Diggs.

Yes.  And a fine and wise first round pick it was too.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Rousseau tested horribly, he's not enough of an athlete to be a pass rusher at this level. He's long and has a good motor but I thought that was a bad pick.

By contrast I liked the Bashasm pick. I think he's going to be a quality pass rusher and the better of the two.

I liked the Spencer Brown pick too. I think he goes higher if he's at a P5 school.

Can't pretend I've heard of anyone else they picked. Seems like a solid draft -- they're a pretty loaded team so it makes sense they went mostly after DL given they've been losing guys from that unit.

It is true.  Rousseau tested poorly.  All he did was go through the ACC like a lawnmower.  That is hard to ignore. 

Basham is a solid choice.  A good value too as measured against his pre-draft grade. 

That is so right about Brown.  If he had transferred before last season into division #1 and played this season, he would vault into the top 10 picks.  Just a tool rich player.

I think both T Doyle and SS Hamlin are great fits for their scheme.  Hamlin was ranked just behind Sherwood and compares favorably (though he is more of a SS than a linebacker).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

I agree.  Rousseau is the bigger risk but sack masters are expensive.   He is a boom or bust prospect.  Bashem is a solid inside out player with honest three down ability.  When you add in last year's bargain in Espenosa who had a first round grade and went late in the second, they have stocked up on young defensive ends.  Building inside out is always a good idea.

I agree Rousseau is a risky pick, I said as much in the opening post.  But pass rushers are expensive and his 2019 year was the bomb.  15.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss in the ACC is just wow production.  He was not a reach at #30. 

I too thought it odd that they did not draft a corner high.  There were several decent choices available on whom they passed like Campbell, Joseph and Samuel jr.  But I cannot argue with their approach.  When in doubt, draft inside out.  They take chess pieces. 

Stevenson had awesome production throughout his college career.    

Production is production.  Hurries and pressures are not sacks.  May our Hamilcar turn out to be a steal. 

The issue with Rousseau was he is a one-year wonder who opted out last year.  Thus he is a risk since he has played only 15 games since High School.  But you are correct.  The Bills can afford to play him as a situational pass rusher since they are deep at defensive end.   

With respect to other posters, the Bills have been the bomb in the draft.  Again and again, they have landed the top guys despite drafting late in the first round.  Both the corner White and the LB Edmonds were top people who fell to the Bills as the league preferred other guys at those positions and the Bills were right and the others were wrong.  They are just chock full of young talent.  I would write a long post on it but everybody would throw rocks at me. 

Yes.  And a fine and wise first round pick it was too.

It is true.  Rousseau tested poorly.  All he did was go through the ACC like a lawnmower.  That is hard to ignore. 

Basham is a solid choice.  A good value too as measured against his pre-draft grade. 

That is so right about Brown.  If he had transferred before last season into division #1 and played this season, he would vault into the top 10 picks.  Just a tool rich player.

I think both T Doyle and SS Hamlin are great fits for their scheme.  Hamlin was ranked just behind Sherwood and compares favorably (though he is more of a SS than a linebacker).

Rousseau almost exclusively won on the inside and on stunts. He doesn’t have NFL strength or quickness on the inside nor does he have bend on the outside. 

The Bills havent been great drafters recently. Cody Ford is mostly bad and injured, Devin Singletary hasn’t come close to 1000 yards. Tremaine Edmunds isn’t good, Matt Milano is good. 

The Bills are made good by great usage of their salary cap, good depth picks in later rounds and amazing coaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
45 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Bills are made good by great usage of their salary cap, good depth picks in later rounds and amazing coaching.

While they haven't been great drafting, it's not like they have been bad either. You also have to take into account that Buffalo has one of the most complete rosters. So even if they draft someone good, it will be hard for them to getting significant snaps. Buffalo has several promising players that only fans will notice because they rarely see the field like Dane Jackson

With their 2019 NFL draft picks they acquired: 

Ed Oliver - Starting DT

Cody Ford - Starting G

Devin Singletary - Starting/Backup RB

Dawson Knox - Starting TE

With their 2020 NFL draft picks they acquired:

Stefon Diggs - Elite WR1

AJ Epenesa - Became a starter towards the end of the year

Gabriel Davis - Promising Rookie who made John Brown expendable

Tyler Bass - Starting Kicker

Zach Moss - Backup/Starting RB

If you base it off the last 2 years, you will likely find that Buffalo is even above average relative to the rest of the league in what would be considered their "down years".

38 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

While they haven't been great drafting, it's not like they have been bad either. You also have to take into account that Buffalo has one of the most complete rosters. So even if they draft someone good, it will be hard for them to getting significant snaps. Buffalo has several promising players that only fans will notice because they rarely see the field like Dane Jackson

With their 2019 NFL draft picks they acquired: 

Ed Oliver - Starting DT

Cody Ford - Starting G

Devin Singletary - Starting/Backup RB

Dawson Knox - Starting TE

With their 2020 NFL draft picks they acquired:

Stefon Diggs - Elite WR1

AJ Epenesa - Became a starter towards the end of the year

Gabriel Davis - Promising Rookie who made John Brown expendable

Tyler Bass - Starting Kicker

Zach Moss - Backup/Starting RB

If you base it off the last 2 years, you will likely find that Buffalo is even above average relative to the rest of the league in what would be considered their "down years".

Ed Oliver steadily lost playing time and Cody Ford is either bad or injured. Singletary is very part time. 

The Bills are good because McDermott and Beane are really good.

40 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Ed Oliver steadily lost playing time and Cody Ford is either bad or injured. Singletary is very part time. 

The Bills are good because McDermott and Beane are really good.

Ed Oliver played 556 snaps in 2019, and 578 in 2020. The only times his snaps dropped below 50% is when Buffalo blew out the Dolphins and Patriots to end the season.

You are mostly right about Ford, but hopefully he improves with a full off-season.

If we get back 2019 Singletary, I will be happy. We don't need a elite back since we barely even run the ball.

The Bills have a mixed draft record like most teams. Problem is, the hit on the one that counts. Allen is a stud.

Makes up for the fact that Oliver can't carry Q's jock.

Rousseau had a terrific year in 2019,and he looks the part. We shall see.

The Jets road to success goes thru Buffalo but we are making significant strides in closing the gap.

7 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Rousseau almost exclusively won on the inside and on stunts. He doesn’t have NFL strength or quickness on the inside nor does he have bend on the outside. 

The Bills havent been great drafters recently. Cody Ford is mostly bad and injured, Devin Singletary hasn’t come close to 1000 yards. Tremaine Edmunds isn’t good, Matt Milano is good. 

Pro Bowler Tremaine Edmunds isn’t good? uhhh

In that case, maybe Buffalo will trade that crappy LB to us for a 7th rounder 😂

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Facts said:

Pro Bowler Tremaine Edmunds isn’t good? uhhh

In that case, maybe Buffalo will trade that crappy LB to us for a 7th rounder 😂

Pro Bowls are actually worthless. He’s not good and is basically a 0 impact player. Just a hyped first rounder on a good team.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Jethead said:

The Bills have a mixed draft record like most teams. Problem is, the hit on the one that counts. Allen is a stud.

Makes up for the fact that Oliver can't carry Q's jock.

Rousseau had a terrific year in 2019,and he looks the part. We shall see.

The Jets road to success goes thru Buffalo but we are making significant strides in closing the gap.

If we drafted Allen, he'd be a bust. Im no Bills fan but the team of McDermott and Beane (I know Beane personally) makes any GM coach combo we have look like flag football. Let's see if our new coach and GM can do better.  Bills surrounded Allen with talent.  We threw Sam to the wolves, im confident we would have done the same to Allen.  

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Pro Bowls are actually worthless. He’s not good and is basically a 0 impact player. Just a hyped first rounder on a good team.

E1415B51-13BC-4508-8127-D57251D5B2C0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Facts said:

E1415B51-13BC-4508-8127-D57251D5B2C0.jpeg

I am right. Literally. Edmunds had less tackles than Neville Hewitt, and  Edmunds is bad in coverage. PFF scored Edmunds as a bad linebacker, I think of him as below average but he’s definitely not good.

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I am right. Literally. Edmunds had less tackles than Neville Hewitt, and  Edmunds is bad in coverage. PFF scored Edmunds as a bad linebacker, I think of him as below average but he’s definitely not good.

I have no doubt in my mind that you think you’re right. The funny part is that you praised the Bills GM Beane earlier in the thread, but now are saying that he’s basically stupid (considering that he’s just exercised Edmunds 5th year tender at a huge price tag). He obviously thinks he’s good. NFL players and coaches (2/3rd of pro-bowl vote) obviously thinks he’s good.

7 minutes ago, Facts said:

I have no doubt in my mind that you think you’re right. The funny part is that you praised the Bills GM Beane earlier in the thread, but now are saying that he’s basically stupid (considering that he’s just exercised Edmunds 5th year tender at a huge price tag). He obviously thinks he’s good. NFL players and coaches (2/3rd of pro-bowl vote) obviously thinks he’s good.

Also in the minds of Bills fans and PFF, I’m right. 

Did you read Beane’s comments on Edmunds and the 5th year option? He’s banking on the potential of a 6-5, 250lbs , 23 year old, fast LBer. He literally excuses Edmunds performance up to this point.  Add in that the Bills have a pretty bad run defense last year. 

Hey, Beane is a very good GM, doesn’t mean he’s batting a thousand. It just means that he’ll likely find other solutions to the problem.

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Did you read Beane’s comments on Edmunds and the 5th year option? He’s banking on the potential of a 6-5, 250lbs , 23 year old, fast LBer. He literally excuses Edmunds performance up to this point.  Add in that the Bills have a pretty bad run defense last year. 

Hey, Beane is a very good GM, doesn’t mean he’s batting a thousand. It just means that he’ll likely find other solutions to the problem.

I hope their GM figures out how wrong he is and trades that garbage LB to us for peanuts.

53 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

As a Bills fan, I have no clue what you are talking about.

Our problems in the run game were because our 1 tech opted out, which forced us to play undersized D-lineman.

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

As a Bills fan, I have no clue what you are talking about.

Our problems in the run game were because our 1 tech opted out, which forced us to play undersized D-lineman.

You think Edmunds is good? Like genuinely?

1 hour ago, Facts said:

I hope their GM figures out how wrong he is and trades that garbage LB to us for peanuts.

That’s the kind of smart move that Beane would make.