Jets ready for Zach Wilson start Week 1, will lead team to come playoffs time

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The wins I think will happen but 8 wins in the AFC East isn’t getting us in the playoffs. 

Agree completely.  I have no expectations of the post-season. 

But if Adam Gase got us to 7 wins with no quarterback, no WR's, no OL, and half the team on IR and was objectively the worst HC in the NFL, how could we not expect Robert Saleh to do better with a healthy team and a similarly easy schedule?  Hell, he even has an extra home game.

You can't name a squad on the 2019 team that finished the year on a 6-2 run that was better than the 2021 team.  QB, OL, WR, DL, LB, CB, go down the line, we started practice squad players in those games, the roster is better now, the coaching is better now, we're healthy, and the schedule is just as favorable.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Because it's not really a better team we just think it is 

Go down the roster of the 2019 Jets during the last 8 games of that season and I think you'll find that our 2021 veterans, free agents, and draftees are better than the injured veterans, third-stringers, and grocery baggers we picked up off the street were.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely.  I have no expectations of the post-season. 

But if Adam Gase got us to 7 wins with no quarterback, no WR's, no OL, and half the team on IR and was objectively the worst HC in the NFL, how could we not expect Robert Saleh to do better with a healthy team and a similarly easy schedule?  Hell, he even has an extra home game.

You can't name a squad on the 2019 team that finished the year on a 6-2 run that was better than the 2021 team.  QB, OL, WR, DL, LB, CB, go down the line, we started practice squad players in those games, the roster is better now, the coaching is better now, we're healthy, and the schedule is just as favorable.

SAR I

This is not really logic Sar 

Past performance does not guarantee future returns 

37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What if he gets 6 wins this year, 11 next year and 13 the following year?

Clearly, 11 wins and 13 wins would be wonderful.

But 6 wins this year is equal to 5 wins in 2019 and I can't comprehend how that would be possible considering the crappy team and coaching staff we had in 2019.  If we are catastrophically injured again I can see 5 wins as being excusable. 

Tell me that Wilson misses a month with VD, that Morgan is lost for the year after playing just one quarter, half the OL goes down with soft tissue injuries, Lawson plays 3 quarters and is lost for the season, and the Michael Carter's both bust and then I can see 6 wins as being understandable.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Go down the roster of the 2019 Jets during the last 8 games of that season and I think you'll find that our 2021 veterans, free agents, and draftees are better than the injured veterans, third-stringers, and grocery baggers we picked up off the street were.

SAR I

OK buddy 

Jamal Adams was a 1st team all pro in 2019 the 21 Jets have no all pros or even pro bowlers 

Robby Anderson better than Corey Davis objectively by yards 

Steve mcclendon just won a super bowl 

Kelvin beachum and Brandon Shell are both better right tackles than George Fant 

Brian winters is better than whoever they are going to start at rg 

Crowder, Ryan griffin and qw are the same

Becton is the only player that we know for sure is better than the player who started for him in 19 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Jets 2019 Strength of Schedule was .473

Jets 2021 Strength of Schedule is .489

So this years schedule is not easier.

And no one knows how good or bad any team is going to be in May.

The 12-4 Saints don't have Drew Brees.  That alone will equalize the '21 and '19 schedules statistically.

I believe we are going to go 2-4 in the division.  Look at the quarterbacks in our 11 remaining games:

Trevor Lawrence
Joe Burrow
Ryan Tannehill
Tom Brady
Taysom Hill
Jalen Hurts
Drew Lock
Carson Wentz
Deshaun Watson
Matt Ryan
Sam Darnold

Is anyone on that list terrifying?  Brady, of course.  Titans are strong so I'll give you Tannehill.  Watson?  He may not play and the Texans suck.  Ryan?  Darnold?  If Robert Saleh can't scheme around the inexperienced/garbage QB's remaining and piece together another 6 wins, what the hell did we hire him for?  

SAR I

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Clearly, 11 wins and 13 wins would be wonderful.

But 6 wins this year is equal to 5 wins in 2019 and I can't comprehend how that would be possible considering the crappy team and coaching staff we had in 2019.  If we are catastrophically injured again I can see 5 wins as being excusable. 

Tell me that Wilson misses a month with VD, that Morgan is lost for the year after playing just one quarter, half the OL goes down with soft tissue injuries, Lawson plays 3 quarters and is lost for the season, and the Michael Carter's both bust and then I can see 6 wins as being understandable.

SAR I

Saleh is here for 4 years minimum.  I dont get you harping on 8 wins in every thread.  What is the point of these posts?

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If the Jets make the playoffs, I will as well.

The schedule is eee-zee.

If Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, and Rex Ryan could make the playoffs in their first year, so too can Robert Saleh.  Hell, even Todd Bowles got 10 wins in his rookie season.  Adam Gase made the playoffs in his rookie year too.

Oh, and there's a 9th home game.  Oh, and there's a 3rd wildcard team.  

It's never been easier for a new head coach, new quarterback, and new culture to eke into the playoffs.  It's a hell of a lot easier for Saleh than any other coach in Jets history, that's for certain.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

The schedule is eee-zee.

If Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, and Rex Ryan could make the playoffs in their first year, so too can Robert Saleh.  Hell, even Todd Bowles got 10 wins in his rookie season.  Adam Gase made the playoffs in his rookie year too.

Oh, and there's a 17th game.  Oh, and there's a 3rd wildcard team.  It's never been easier for a new head coach, new quarterback, and new culture to eke into the playoffs.  It's a hell of a lot easier for Saleh than any other coach in Jets history, that's for certain.

SAR I

We get it.  You think we should get 8 wins.  Ive seen this same post 50 times in different threads.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

OK buddy 

Jamal Adams was a 1st team all pro in 2019 the 21 Jets have no all pros or even pro bowlers 

Becton is the only player that we know for sure is better than the player who started for him in 19 

I don't agree with them all, but that's only 8 starters out of 22.

Go through the 14 remaining players-  and don't forget K and P-  and take into account their injuries the back half of that season and there's no way this year's team isn't going to be superior.  Then factor in the amazing new coaching staff.  Then factor in the exciting no-ghosts-no-baggage new quarterback.  Then factor in the easy schedule. 

There is nothing standing in the way of a reasonable expectation for an 8 win season at a minimum.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We get it.  You think we should get 8 wins.  Ive seen this same post 50 times in different threads.  

What I think isn't the point.

You need to think we should get 8 wins.  You need to stop making excuses for Saleh when you didn't allow any for Gase.  You need to believe that it's high time that Douglas show results.

Adam Gase's 7 win season is such a low benchmark, I can't see how you could push back on an 8 win Robert Saleh mandate.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What I think isn't the point.

You need to think we should get 8 wins.  You need to stop making excuses for Saleh when you didn't allow any for Gase.  You need to believe that it's high time that Douglas show results.

Adam Gase's 7 win season is such a low benchmark, I can't see how you could push back on an 8 win Robert Saleh mandate.

SAR I

Who cares about Gase any more? Mr. Irrelevant. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

The jets won 2 games last year and fired everyone (again) now's not really the time to apply the "fan purity test" 

here's a hot take: fans rooting for the team or against the team have no bearing on the outcome of these games 

Disappointment is a consequence of love. No one cares if the neighbor's wife cheats on him. But you sure are pissed off if yours does.

Those who are ever hopeful and joyful in the face of everything this team has put us through are Stepford husbands/wives.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Who cares about Gase any more? Mr. Irrelevant. 

Agree 100%.

But Gase comes up because he's the recent benchmark for what a "bad" Jets head coach looks like and that's someone who has a 7-9 record against an easy schedule with a weak roster, scores of injuries, and a scared quarterback.

If 7 wins under those conditions equals 'bad' then 8 wins under vastly improved conditions equals the minimum acceptable threshold for any replacement Jets head coach including one Robert Saleh.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree 100%.

But Gase comes up because he's the recent benchmark for what a "bad" Jets head coach looks like and that's someone who has a 7-9 record against an easy schedule with a weak roster, scores of injuries, and a scared quarterback.

If 7 wins under those conditions equals 'bad' then 8 wins under vastly improved conditions equals the minimum acceptable threshold for any replacement Jets head coach including one Robert Saleh.

SAR I

Jets win 7 or less games and Saleh is gone.  Get the planes and tshirts ready SAR.  We are behind you!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't agree with them all, but that's only 8 starters out of 22.

Go through the 14 remaining players-  and don't forget K and P-  and take into account their injuries the back half of that season and there's no way this year's team isn't going to be superior.  Then factor in the amazing new coaching staff.  Then factor in the exciting no-ghosts-no-baggage new quarterback.  Then factor in the easy schedule. 

There is nothing standing in the way of a reasonable expectation for an 8 win season at a minimum.

SAR I

This exercise is very Jets centric. The jets are 30th in power ranks and that's probably fair 

Every team thinks they got better this offseason. The jets did get better but not playoffs better 

Side note 8 wins gets them to 8-9 on the 17 game season that's a losing record dude 

• Upvote 1

parcells took the 1-15 kotite team and brought it 9-7 with neil odonnell at qb.  bowles took a 4-12 rex team and brought it to 10-6.  even gase took a 4-12 bowles team and brought it 7-9.  the first year jet coaches always seem to make multi-game improvements over the previous year's team.  i don't think saleh is going to be any different.  I can see the jets record improves by 8 game which puts them at 10-7.  will that be enough?  i know we want all of douglas' picks to be good but it's still too early to say.  and even this season i can see them getting out of the gate fast.  but teams rarely start hitting their stride until game 4 or so.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Side note 8 wins gets them to 8-9 on the 17 game season that's a losing record dude 

Yes.  Again, just trying to be realistic with an expectation for this Joe Douglas built Robert Saleh run team.  

I think it is very fair and objective to expect an 8 win season.  That's where we should be.  I don't want to hear any of this "5 wins is progress" talk, that's all.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  Again, just trying to be realistic with an expectation for this Joe Douglas built Robert Saleh run team.  

I think it is very fair and objective to expect an 8 win season.  That's where we should be.  I don't want to hear any of this "5 wins is progress" talk, that's all.

SAR I

Vegas has the line at 6 you should go down and make that easy money 

historically, some of these easy wins you have chalked up (PHILLY) the franchise can't beat for whatever reason

It's a 5 win team. Maybe they push at 6.

8 is lunacy and that's not even enough. a team needs like 12 or 13 in the AFC 

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh is here for 4 years minimum.  I dont get you harping on 8 wins in every thread.  What is the point of these posts?

Pining for the genius that was Adam Gase.... ? 

Dude spent 2 years fluffing Gase and insulting anyone that would observe how objectively terrible Gase was for this team.

And now his game is, "I never liked Gase", because he thinks it's funny or something.  

Hes inventing artificial minimum goals, in a bid to begin his contrarian trolling game of crapping on Douglas and Saleh if they don't meet his arbitrary and nonsensical mandates that have zero context or merit. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, bitonti said:

Normal teams spend to the cap and try to win 

The Jets keep 30 million aside for a rainy day that never arrives 

OMG, do you ever stop?

WTF does one even have to do with the other?

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Pining for the genius that was Adam Gase.... ? 

Dude spent 2 years fluffing Gase and insulting anyone that would observe how objectively terrible Gase was for this team.

And now his game is, "I never liked Gase", because he thinks it's funny or something.  

Hes inventing artificial minimum goals, in a bid to begin his contrarian trolling game of crapping on Douglas and Saleh if they don't meet his arbitrary and nonsensical mandates that have zero context or merit. 

Replace “Gase” with “Darnold” and it describes about 80% of the board.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/7/2021 at 8:57 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Who knows about the playoffs but in the NFL one thing is for sure:

a team can make a complete 360 during an off-season and go from awful to playoffs and/or playoffs to awful etc the following season. 

And another thing is for sure in regards to our Jets;

Over the past two offseasons we've made a complete and an absolute offensive 360 turnaround of a jump shot. 

We've drafted within the first 2 rounds a...

QB: Zach Wilson #2 overall.

WR: Denzel Mims 2nd round. 

WR: Elijah Moore 2nd round. 

LT: Mekhi Becton 1st round. 

LG: Vera-Tucker. 

Off the top of my head that's 5 immediate offensive starters to continue building around. 

FA splash @ WR in Corey Davis = Make that 6 new (key) offensive starters. 

Throw in our 4th round 2021 home run Michael Carter who rushed for over 300+ yards vs Miami U and that's = 7 key offensive starters on the verge of developing together. 

QB. Wilson. 

LT: Becton. 

LG: Vera-Tucker. 

WR: Davis. 

WR. Mims. 

WR. Moore. 

RB: Carter. 

That's 7 players I'm super excited about as additions over the next two years not including JAMISON CROWDER and/or any sleepers like Keenan Cole and a kid I still love in Herndon Jr getting his fire back (post Gase). 

Most importantly. Gase isn't here to ruin these kids anymore. 

I wanted Trevor Lawrence but fk it I'm A+ excited because if Zach Wilson is truly a special kid we're all going to absolutely love looking forward to watching an N.Y Jets offense and for many of years to come too. 

THIS.  I really don't think we understand just how much damage Gase did to this team last year.  That's why I'm giving a pass to lot of players for last year including most of our 2020 draft class.  Between the pandemic, injury bug, lack of training camp and Gases ineptitude I don't know how anyone can accurate judge how good or bad many of our players are.   Now with a real HC who inspires and gets out the most in his players (the anti-Gase) many of these same players are going to surprise folks.   At least that is what I feel and if they don't improve, they will not be on the team.  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

THIS.  I really don't think we understand just how much damage Gase did to this team last year.  That's why I'm giving a pass to lot of players for last year including most of our 2020 draft class.  Between the pandemic, injury bug, lack of training camp and Gases ineptitude I don't know how anyone can accurate judge how good or bad many of our players are.   Now with a real HC who inspires and gets out the most in his players (the anti-Gase) many of these same players are going to surprise folks.   At least that is what I feel and if they don't improve, they will not be on the team.  

Also hard to evaluate wezpziunz with league-worst QB running the offense.

• Upvote 2

On 5/9/2021 at 1:12 PM, 32EBoozer said:

JD came away with a mixed bag last year..... grading from CBS Sports

ROUND OVERALL PLAYER SELECTED GRADE
1  11  OT Mekhi Becton, Louisville B 
2  59* WR Denzel Mims, Baylor A 
3  68* S Ashtyn Davis, Cal A-
3  79  EDGE Jabari Zuniga, Florida C-
4 120 RB La'Mical Perine, Florida C
4  125* QB James Morgan, FIU D 
4 129* OT Cameron Clark, Charlotte  B
5  158  CB Bryce Hall, Virginia A 
6  191  P Braden Mann, Texas A&M D+

Franchise LT; 

#1/#2 WR;

a ? at FS; 

An Edge who didn’t show anything

High character Rb who may not fit new scheme

Developmental Qb

A flyer on a mid-rd. G

Good value at CB for injured player

A Punter.

JD could not survive another draft like that again! He didn’t play games, and selected players...... not stockpiles of draft picks. Get the coaches players!

Lefleur should be happy with his new toys. Saleh & Ulbrecht have enough to go to war with this year. Their toys come next season.

I seriously don't know how anyone can grade last years draft considering the pandemic, lack of mini camp, all the injuries and the horrible coaching and atmosphere created by Gase.    For me they all get a mulligan and I am more interested in how they perform this year.  

• Upvote 3

On 5/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, bitonti said:

OK buddy 

This is bleak. When you’re comparing replacements to Brian Winters, you know you’ve hit rock bottom.