How the Jets should throw Zach Wilson into the fire | Boomer and Gio

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Give him a good run game and he’ll be fine.

If we can bring in a plus starting caliber Center by way of trade prior to camp, I would feel much more secure for Zach.

McGovern next to a rookie AVT worries me. Hoping salary cap considerations or the numbers game can shake one loose.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

For a team to successfully start a rookie QB a few things have to be in play:

-The QB can't be raw. 

-You have to have a system built around his strengths and/or what he is familiar with coming of of college. 

-You have to simplify things for him in what type of plays you call and how much responsibility you actually put on his shoulders. I.E. Include a lot of easy throws and run the ball a lot.  

-He has to have a good o-line to protect him. 

-He has to have a lot of weapons. 

I don't think you can consider Wilson very 'raw'. I think he fits the system very well. The Jets o-line is still a '?' but adding AVT helps a lot and on paper they should be much improved in this system. The Jets have surrounded him with plenty of weapons. If LaFleur puts together a good gameplan where he focusses the offense on the run game and makes things easy for Wilson I see no reason why Wilson can't start and be successful as a rookie. 

I would stress that having a highly intelligent Center and stud blindside Tackle goes a long way towards helping your rookie Qb. A vet Center helps identify the defense and rolling protection to counteract pressure. LT, in Zachs case, helps him feel confident in the pocket.

• Upvote 2

If the Jets stay mostly healthy Zach will be fine this year.

He'll certainly have struggles but there's enough there for him now - 

McGovern is key though - Will we get the top 15 Center that we signed or the garbage we saw last year.  If it's the former This team, if healthy, can make a playoff push.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A quick perusal of the Jets-aligned media apparatus shows that everyone is writing the same story today—Zach Wilson should start Day One. Either 1. The Jets beat is 100% invested in wall to wall Zach Wilson coverage because it’s easy to wrote those stories -or- 2. Douglas and the Johnsons don’t want to commit any real money to sign a viable veteran starting QB, and they’re just going to roll Wilson out there to save $3 million in cash. 

Or....

The Jets want to start him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A quick perusal of the Jets-aligned media apparatus shows that everyone is writing the same story today—Zach Wilson should start Day One. Either 1. The Jets beat is 100% invested in wall to wall Zach Wilson coverage because it’s easy to write those stories -or- 2. Douglas and the Johnsons don’t want to commit any real money into signing a viable veteran starting QB, and they’re just going to roll Wilson out there to save $3 million in cash. 

Wilson has an injury history, he’s physically small, and he had the luxury of playing behind a line that protected him like the Crown Jewels last year. I think it’s a mistake to send him out there on Day One to get smacked around by any NFL pass rush until he’s 80% ready to play and the line has had a few months to figure out what they’re doing. Wilson will be sacked more times in his first two games than he was all of last year. You want to risk him breaking in half for what? To appease Boomer Esiason and Connor Hughes?

It’s very simple,

Snap the ball,

take two steps back,

throw the ball.

if no one’s open,

take a knee.

if he can’t do that, then we’ll get another QB in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which, given their history, should terrify a Zach Wilson fan.

That history is ancient history.

We have a GM that knows what he's doing finally.  

If JD believes ZW is ready to start with this team - I trust his judgement....

I don't, for a second, believe this decision is being made to save $3mm

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That history is ancient history.

We have a GM that knows what he's doing finally.  

If JD believes ZW is ready to start with this team - I trust his judgement....

I don't, for a second, believe this decision is being made to save $3mm

It wouldn’t just be the $3mm; it’s the idea of going into this season with a Nick Foles-type as the starter, which is a depressing story for everyone involved. It’d be that the initial return on the $3mm is a substandard offense that generates zero buzz and leads to a bunch of nonsensical “What’s wrong with Zach Wilson!?!?!?” articles and sports radio segments. The long-term payoff on that $3mm could be a better Zach Wilson, long term. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It wouldn’t just be the $3mm; it’s the idea of going into this season with a Nick Foles-type as the starter, which is a depressing story for everyone involved. It’d be that the initial return on the $3mm is a substandard offense that generates zero buzz and leads to a bunch of nonsensical “What’s wrong with Zach Wilson!?!?!?” articles and sports radio segments. The long-term payoff on that $3mm could be a better Zach Wilson, long term. 

Has Joe Douglas given you any indication that he's building this team for "buzz" or cares in the least bit about articles?

This is a guy that completely tore down a team - understanding he was likely putting out the worst roster in football. - Same guy that traded two third rounds picks and #23 overall for a guard.

Everything he's done to date is what he believes is in the best longterm interest of the NY Jets.

Starting Wilson has nothing to do with Press or money.  

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

McGovern is key though - Will we get the top 15 Center that we signed or the garbage we saw last year

Nailed it. QB’s best friend is his Center. If we get McGovvern from last year, you might as well save Zach the pummeling by being alone on audible island! 

Really wanted Lindsey from GB. Who better to learn Aaron Rodgers from than his Center. SD understood that for their young play caller.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What history are you referencing that is remotely relevant? The Salah coaching staff history with QBs? There is none. The Douglas history? He had one full offseason (2020) with Darnold. This “Jets have a history of ruining QBs” statement is faulty logic. Coaches and management develop players, not the uniform or the team name. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because JD, Saleh and LaFleur have a history of ruining QBs?  

I could care less what Macc did or didnt do.  

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Has Joe Douglas given you any indication that he's building this team for "buzz" or cares in the least bit about articles?

This is a guy that completely tore down a team - understanding he was likely putting out the worst roster in football. - Same guy that traded two third rounds picks and #23 overall for a guard.

Everything he's done to date is what he believes is in the best longterm interest of the NY Jets.

Starting Wilson has nothing to do with Press or money.  

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What history are you referencing that is remotely relevant? The Salah coaching staff history with QBs? There is none. The Douglas history? He had one full offseason (2020) with Darnold. This “Jets have a history of ruining QBs” statement is faulty logic. Coaches and management develop players, not the uniform or the team name. 

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because JD, Saleh and LaFleur have a history of ruining QBs?  

I could care less what Macc did or didnt do.  

Or, Saleh and JD have *no* history of developing a QB and are now working for a franchise that has a storied history of defenestrating young QBs, so maybe declaring that “Saleh and Douglas are QB development experts who deserve the benefit of the doubt and who aren’t vulnerable to outside pressures” is a wee bit hasty?

• Upvote 2

I’ll preface this by saying I was not a fan of Zach as a prospect. I wasn’t a fan of any QB’s but Lawrence honestly but I digress. We drafted him #2 overall. If he can’t start day one then he shouldn’t have been drafted. If we’re worried he’s gonna break in two when he gets hit we should t have drafted him. Put him out there and throw him to the wolves. If he survives then we have our man.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, Saleh and JD have *no* history of developing a QB and are now working for a franchise that has a storied history of defenestrating young QBs, so maybe declaring that “Saleh and Douglas are QB development experts who deserve the benefit of the doubt and who aren’t vulnerable to outside pressures” is a wee bit hasty?

What was the Chiefs record for QB development before Mahomes?  

No one is saying that Saleh and LaFleur will do the right things to develop Wilson properly, just saying they arent Bowles/Gase and have shouldnt be lumped into Bowles/Gase inability to develop Darnold correctly

• Upvote 1

If JD doesn't sign a starter, Zip gets broken in half on week 1, and we're rolling with Cpt f'n Morgan and Mike White we can stop with this JD genius stuff.  

Trade for a starter until kid dynamos balls drop otherwise this could be the disaster to end all disasters.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And if thats the case theres still time to bring in that Foles type.  I'm pretty sure theres a Foles type in our future.  Either to mentor the kid or to start the season if he needs to watch for the first few, five games.  

The only one who will be screaming “What’s wrong with Zach Wilson!?!?!?” will be fans on twitter and message boards, no one was screaming with Eli on the bench, with Mahomes on the bench, down here with Tua sitting on the bench 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

If JD doesn't sign a starter, Zip gets broken in half on week 1, and we're rolling with Cpt f'n Morgan and Mike White we can stop with this JD genius stuff.  

Trade for a starter until kid dynamos balls drop otherwise this could be the disaster to end all disasters.

So every QB starting in the NFL has or needs to have a starter waiting in the wings "in case he gets broken in half week 1"????

Just wondering if other fanbases are aware of this 

• Upvote 2