How the Jets should throw Zach Wilson into the fire | Boomer and Gio

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ya know Ocham's Razor - there's a less popular heuristic called "Hanlon's Razor" which stated "never subscribe to malice what can be explained by simple incompetence." 

the reason why Hanlon's Razor is less popular than Ocham's Razor (the simplest explanation) is because in the 1950's people said the mafia was a conspiracy theory and they cited Hanlon. 

turns out organized crime was real and Hanlon was discredited

all of this is to say yes maybe the Jets' blatant overdrafting of a top 20-30 prospect at 2 overall can be explained by incompetence

sure maybe they overlooked all his physical shortcomings and injury history and weak film and overrated his accuracy like everyone else. Mistakes do happen. Teams are dumb. 

or maybe there's an even simpler explanation: Woody hearts money. There was a conflict of interest.  

https://www.jetblue.com/our-company/sponsorships

Henry is April Ludgate

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Henry is April Ludgate

“They had a good rounds 1-4 for sure,” an exec said. “I like the fit for Wilson in that offense. He just is small. I don’t care what he measured, he is not a big-boned guy and he has missed games, and that makes me a little nervous. But his ability to throw, his arm strength and his quick release and athletic ability and all that, I mean, I see all that.”

https://theathletic.com/2572409/2021/05/07/justin-fields-better-than-zach-wilson-micah-parsons-potential-with-cowboys-execs-unfiltered-on-nfl-draft/

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A quick perusal of the Jets-aligned media apparatus shows that everyone is writing the same story today—Zach Wilson should start Day One. Either 1. The Jets beat is 100% invested in wall to wall Zach Wilson coverage because it’s easy to write those stories -or- 2. Douglas and the Johnsons don’t want to commit any real money into signing a viable veteran starting QB, and they’re just going to roll Wilson out there to save $3 million in cash. 

Wilson has an injury history, he’s physically small, and he had the luxury of playing behind a line that protected him like the Crown Jewels last year. I think it’s a mistake to send him out there on Day One to get smacked around by any NFL pass rush until he’s 80% ready to play and the line has had a few months to figure out what they’re doing. Wilson will be sacked more times in his first two games than he was all of last year. You want to risk him breaking in half for what? To appease Boomer Esiason and Connor Hughes?

I expect we’ll lean into the run game with a lot of quick passes to start. I want to see the kid out there.  Things are changing, this isn’t the 2019 Jets.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bad news for the Zachistans. The ESPN ticker is reporting the Jets will sign a veteran QB. One day of watching Wilson throw #high and #late with a #headband  on has convinced Saleh of his bustitude. 

Bad news for anti-Zaxxers, no one gives a sh*t 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I didn’t say he was injury prone. I said he has an injury history. I do, however, think that sitting him for a bit might help him in all aspects—physically, emotionally, mentally, culturally, etc. He’s a thin, young-young dude from Utah who has never been too far away from home and who has had issues with leadership and being a good teammate (this is according to him, btw). There is no need to anoint him, and there are enough reasons to take the pressure off of him by not naming him the de facto starter on May 7th. What’s the rush? All this talk about him having to “earn the job” seems pretty flimsy when there isn’t a viable challenger on the roster and everyone in the org is talking about him like he’s the second coming. It’s a mistake, imo.

Holy crap.  It's football.  I'm pretty sure even Zach knows the difference between a bagel and a cressant.   Wilson just had the equivelant of an Alien anal probe done to his entire body before the draft. 

Maybe the fan base(Irrelevant), the coaching staff and the young players want to grow into this thing together.  Maybe they don't want some Vet Jag backup killing the buzz of a team that's finally moving forward.

If he's not ready and the coaching staff wants some JAG to start to protect him they will do it.  If that happens there will be ample opportunity for you to sh*t all over him again for not starting from day 1.  

He's our guy, get on board.  He might actually have the goods.  Sanchez and Sam weren't killed by starting out of the gate.  They did fine as rookies. It was later that they sucked more than was tolerable.  Have a little confidence in the staff.  If they don't know what they're doing Zach isn't a problem or the solution.   

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bad news for the Zachistans. The ESPN ticker is reporting the Jets will sign a veteran QB. One day of watching Wilson throw #high and #late with a #headband  on has convinced Saleh of his bustitude. 

The only thing small and injury prone is your gaggle of posts in this thread. It's been like watching a balloon inflate until everybody within a ten foot radius is ducking and waiting for it to pop. If hot air were flammable, you would go up like the Hindenburg.

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

For a team to successfully start a rookie QB a few things have to be in play:

-The QB can't be raw. 

-You have to have a system built around his strengths and/or what he is familiar with coming of of college. 

-You have to simplify things for him in what type of plays you call and how much responsibility you actually put on his shoulders. I.E. Include a lot of easy throws and run the ball a lot.  

-He has to have a good o-line to protect him. 

-He has to have a lot of weapons. 

I don't think you can consider Wilson very 'raw'. I think he fits the system very well. The Jets o-line is still a '?' but adding AVT helps a lot and on paper they should be much improved in this system. The Jets have surrounded him with plenty of weapons. If LaFleur puts together a good gameplan where he focusses the offense on the run game and makes things easy for Wilson I see no reason why Wilson can't start and be successful as a rookie. 

i have never understood the rationale of not having easy throws, brady, manning all the good qb's do easy throws to get firsts downs. Herbert burrow etc yeah easy throws...only dumb ass coaches like gase dont think easy throws i.e. scheme and play design open WRs are a thing..

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Ya know Ocham's Razor - there's a less popular heuristic called "Hanlon's Razor" which stated "never subscribe to malice what can be explained by simple incompetence." 

the reason why Hanlon's Razor is less popular than Ocham's Razor (the simplest explanation) is because in the 1950's people said the mafia was a conspiracy theory and they cited Hanlon. 

all of this is to say yes maybe the Jets' blatant overdrafting of a top 20-30 prospect at 2 overall can be explained by incompetence

sure maybe they overlooked all his physical shortcomings and injury history and weak film and overrated his accuracy like everyone else. Mistakes do happen. Teams are dumb. 

or maybe there's an even simpler explanation: Woody hearts money. There was a conflict of interest.  

Drafting Wilson because the team has ties to JetBlue would be literally the exact opposite of Hanlon’s razor

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Wow

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

JAnon

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Hanlon's principle is rife with exceptions, but it is remains more often true than not. All that said, if the Jets overdrafted Wilson, then it could easily be argued that EVERY quarterback taken in the first round was also overdrafted, or teams got confused in their assessments, or couldn't read film.

I feel like this is likely

9 hours ago, PepPep said:

For a team to successfully start a rookie QB a few things have to be in play:

-The QB can't be raw. 

-You have to have a system built around his strengths and/or what he is familiar with coming of of college. 

-You have to simplify things for him in what type of plays you call and how much responsibility you actually put on his shoulders. I.E. Include a lot of easy throws and run the ball a lot.  

-He has to have a good o-line to protect him. 

-He has to have a lot of weapons. 

I don't think you can consider Wilson very 'raw'. I think he fits the system very well. The Jets o-line is still a '?' but adding AVT helps a lot and on paper they should be much improved in this system. The Jets have surrounded him with plenty of weapons. If LaFleur puts together a good gameplan where he focusses the offense on the run game and makes things easy for Wilson I see no reason why Wilson can't start and be successful as a rookie. 

You got to the most important part in your final paragraph.  The Jets, just like the 49ers, will be a run-first team IMO.  There's a reason why the Jets signed Tevin Coleman AND drafted Michael Carter, and why thus far they still have three other RBs who are NFL-caliber on the roster, even if Perine, Johnson, and Adams will never sniff a RB1 role.

This wide/outside rushing scheme the Jets will run opens the field, it stretches a defense wide.  Having a DE, OLB and CB protecting the outside as a TE, Becton, and AVT lead the way out there makes defenses do things they don't want to do, like split their Safeties and bring them closer to the LOS.  All of that opens the middle for our fancy new shifty bastid, Elijah Moore to eat that defense's lunch in the middle of the field.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

QBs get overdrafted all the time.  From Akili Smith and Blake Bortles to Mitch Trubisky and Marcus Mariota.  At the most important position on the field teams are willing to spend a pick 10+ spots earlier than they might typically want to.

IMO, the Jets scouting of Wilson was validated when SF moved up at an exorbitant cost to the #3 spot.  Similar to the Jets 2018 trade up, the 49ers had to have 3 QBs they felt were worthy of a Top 3 pick.  One of them undoubtedly was Wilson.  If the Jets had gone with Lance (or even Fields or Jones) I'm 95% sure Wilson would have been the 49ers pick at #3.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

The cast on offense is a bunch of mid tier players and rookies. Pretty risky to put Zach behind center day 1, especially with a rookie head coach and rookie playcaller. 

30 seconds after the NFL schedule is released on the 12th I wonder if we'll all be cringing as we look at the defense Zach and the Jets will face in Week 1.

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

The outlets moved ZW to 2 when it became clear he was going number 2. Because the owner demanded it 

How much do you think Woody had to pay Simms, Jeremiah, Brooks, Warner, etc, etc to move Wilson to number on the QB ranking list?  

Oh wait, Woodys cheap according to you, how  did he do it?  

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Not to be a school marm, but Occam's Razor is not a hueristic, it's a rule. And they have virtually nothing to do with each other. Occam's Razor is a minimalist principle to be applied when weighing competing theories -- the razor being applied to winnow down to the least complex option. Example would be opting for Copernican theory of celestial motion over Ptolemaic theory. Hanlon's principle is rife with exceptions, but it is remains more often true than not. All that said, if the Jets overdrafted Wilson, then it could easily be argued that EVERY quarterback taken in the first round was also overdrafted, or teams got confused in their assessments, or couldn't read film. I'll defer to Occam and suggest the simplest alternative: they were right.

I feel smarter just by reading your post.

thank you 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

His uncle's airline is "a preferred airline partner of the NYJ"

That's on top of Virgin as the official airline of the NFL

not every team has a preferred airline partner

We're not talking about faking the moon landing, like it's some wild, baseless conspiracy theory.

Zach Wilson's uncle has a publicly traded company that writes sizable checks to the NYJ. Terminal 5 at JFK is all JetBlue. 

If they pass on Zach those checks could vanish or maybe they pay the Giants instead. If Zach plays amazing those checks increase in size. It's a sponsor relationship.

No one draft pick the Jets could make would affect the bottom line in such a real way.  Winning or losing doesn't affect the bottom line. They lose all the games are still printing money. Sponsorship, luxury boxes, that's Woody's prize.

I'm not convinced Woody even cares about football. Like would any of us lend this team to our brother for four years and leave? We can't even stay away from a message board. 

But sponsor activity like MetLife signing a 25 year stadium naming deal very much Woody will pay attention to. JetBlue is a sponsor. This isn't rocket science. 

This is just ridiculous.  NFL franchises are a license to print money.  Woody doesn't need Jet Blue to make money.    Why do you want to root against this kid?  It makes no sense for a Jets fan to want him to fail unless you get more pleasure from writing that you were right on this site three years from now than you would from watching the Jets succeed with Wilson. That is just warped.