Jump to content

How the Jets should throw Zach Wilson into the fire | Boomer and Gio


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It makes no sense for a Jets fan to want him to fail unless you get more pleasure from writing that you were right on this site three years from now than you would from watching the Jets succeed

oh my god omg GIF by CBC

  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allow me to save you the 9:41. Their rationale is “hey why not.”

A quick perusal of the Jets-aligned media apparatus shows that everyone is writing the same story today—Zach Wilson should start Day One. Either 1. The Jets beat is 100% invested in wall to wall Zach

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

You asking ALOT

I hope not.  The jets have new coaches and a defense that’s being built to salehs’s schemes.  The thing is the jets future is now and this the season that will show what kind of team they will be.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bad news for the Zachistans. The ESPN ticker is reporting the Jets will sign a veteran QB. One day of watching Wilson throw #high and #late with a #headband  on has convinced Saleh of his bustitude. 

You’re relentless 🤡 Can we let him play a quarter before making a full determination on whether he’s the next great Jets QB bust. 

 

51EC8B15-C1CE-4F6A-9CCD-E93CAE6673BC.gif

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

 It makes no sense for a Jets fan to want him to fail 

Haven't you ever been a teenager in love?  They're are a lot of young Jets fans on this board who have a full on  puppy love crush on Sam Darnold.  This isn't about Zach.  This is about first love.

I remember when we shipped Namath out to LA.  I was crushed.  I hated Richard don't call me Dick Todd.  Than one beautiful day he made this pass in Oakland and I only disliked him more than was necessary.   Than one day he stuffed Steve Serby in a locker.  Yes Jets fans you can love again. 

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Haven't you ever been a teenager in love?  They're are a lot of young Jets fans on this board who have a full on  puppy love crush on Sam Darnold.  This isn't about Zach.  This is about first love.

I remember when we shipped Namath out to LA.  I was crushed.  I hated Richard don't call me Dick Todd.  Than one beautiful day he made this pass in Oakland and I only disliked him more than was necessary.   Than one day he stuffed Steve Serby in a locker.  Yes Jets fans you can love again. 

LOL. His Serby moment was epic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I hope not.  The jets have new coaches and a defense that’s being built to salehs’s schemes.  The thing is the jets future is now and this the season that will show what kind of team they will be.

This ‘team’ is akin to a baby learning how to walk. JD has done a fantastic job getting rid of dead weight and turning over the roster. And Saleh has highly influenced the defensive side of the ball already by having JD redo the secondary. We are younger and faster but we are very inexperienced across the board. This ain’t no quick fix. But definitely excited about the approach JD, Lafleur and Saleh are taking. In 2-3 more years, we are going to be turning heads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

It’s very simple,

Snap the ball,

take two steps back,

throw the ball.

if no one’s open,

take a knee.

if he can’t do that, then we’ll get another QB in 2 years.

 

Would like to think after experiening Sam Darnold not having the internal 2.5 second clock of getting rid of the ball, they scouted that as to Wilson. This kid is about to see an NFL pass rush of 300+ monsters that bench press Hondas and run like cats. The OL is going to be very important. 

I don't know. 

As Mike  Tyson says, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Keeping Eli and Mahomes on the bench was 1000% the right move for those franchises, and both of those decisions were made by coaches with lots of credibility and political capital inside their organizations. If we do sign the Foles-type (as depressing as this is to think about) it’d be a sign that the Jets are being clear-headed about this decision moving forward. 

Big Dick Nick is the move for Year #1. Only problem; he's gonna want a 2 year deal and probably a 3rd year option. And scary for Saleh and Douglas; what if he not only beats out the kid, but pulls a Fitz-like solid season? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bitonti said:

His uncle's airline is "a preferred airline partner of the NYJ"

That's on top of Virgin as the official airline of the NFL

not every team has a preferred airline partner

We're not talking about faking the moon landing, like it's some wild, baseless conspiracy theory.

Zach Wilson's uncle has a publicly traded company that writes sizable checks to the NYJ. Terminal 5 at JFK is all JetBlue. 

If they pass on Zach those checks could vanish or maybe they pay the Giants instead. If Zach plays amazing those checks increase in size. It's a sponsor relationship.

No one draft pick the Jets could make would affect the bottom line in such a real way.  Winning or losing doesn't affect the bottom line. They lose all the games are still printing money. Sponsorship, luxury boxes, that's Woody's prize.

I'm not convinced Woody even cares about football. Like would any of us lend this team to our brother for four years and leave? We can't even stay away from a message board. 

 But sponsor activity like MetLife signing a 25 year stadium naming deal very much Woody will pay attention to. JetBlue is a sponsor. This isn't rocket science. 

Really want to believe that , while every word of this could be true, Wilson was strictly a football decision.

And my nightmare remains that the NFL collectively  discounted Mac Jones right in the Pats' lap. Yes, he was surrounded by a great cast, but he was doing it against SEC and BCS competition. Things Wilson dealt with once or twice, and not especially well. Jones physcially looks like cigars and scotch have been his steady diet, but there's no significant injury history,and he is a big boy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is just ridiculous.  NFL franchises are a license to print money.  Woody doesn't need Jet Blue to make money.    Why do you want to root against this kid?  It makes no sense for a Jets fan to want him to fail unless you get more pleasure from writing that you were right on this site three years from now than you would from watching the Jets succeed with Wilson. That is just warped.

Best of all he doesnt ever talk about why he cant make it, why he was a bad pick

He busts his head open coming up with all these ridiculous reasons why the Jets did draft him to piss on the pick. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Really want to believe that , while every word of this could be true, Wilson was strictly a football decision.

And my nightmare remains that the NFL collectively  discounted Mac Jones right in the Pats' lap. Yes, he was surrounded by a great cast, but he was doing it against SEC and BCS competition. Things Wilson dealt with once or twice, and not especially well. Jones physcially looks like cigars and scotch have been his steady diet, but there's no significant injury history,and he is a big boy. 

Mac Jones in the SEC saw comparable pressure numbers and had more open receivers than Wilson did. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My dick>>>>>>Zach Wilson’s arms

Just to clarify:

Is your dick:

a) Harder than Zach Wilson's arm

b) Longer than Zach Wilson's arm

c) Faster than Zach Wilson's arm

d) Thicker than Zach Wilson's arm

e) All of the above

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

You’re relentless 🤡 Can we let him play a quarter before making a full determination on whether he’s the next great Jets QB bust. 

 

51EC8B15-C1CE-4F6A-9CCD-E93CAE6673BC.gif

Let him go.  All of his quotes will be fodder for Shane put downs and come backs for the next 10 yrs   He is going to get and eat so much crap his head is going to explode!

7E96EE8B-6A09-4DB0-970D-FE9E202B0C9C.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bugg said:

Would like to think after experiening Sam Darnold not having the internal 2.5 second clock of getting rid of the ball, they scouted that as to Wilson. This kid is about to see an NFL pass rush of 300+ monsters that bench press Hondas and run like cats. The OL is going to be very important. 

I don't know. 

As Mike  Tyson says, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. 

True 

Look the kid has a pro arm.

We’ll see soon enough if he has a pro brain able enough to process things at the nfl level.

he either has that or he don’t.

if he doesn’t, we’ll just draft another QB in 2 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, PepPep said:

For a team to successfully start a rookie QB a few things have to be in play:

-The QB can't be raw. 

-You have to have a system built around his strengths and/or what he is familiar with coming of of college. 

-You have to simplify things for him in what type of plays you call and how much responsibility you actually put on his shoulders. I.E. Include a lot of easy throws and run the ball a lot.  

-He has to have a good o-line to protect him. 

-He has to have a lot of weapons. 

I don't think you can consider Wilson very 'raw'. I think he fits the system very well. The Jets o-line is still a '?' but adding AVT helps a lot and on paper they should be much improved in this system. The Jets have surrounded him with plenty of weapons. If LaFleur puts together a good gameplan where he focusses the offense on the run game and makes things easy for Wilson I see no reason why Wilson can't start and be successful as a rookie. 

If a team had all that in place, it wouldn’t be picking #2 in the draft.

No reason in today’s NFL not to start him. None. He’s starting if healthy. You can bank that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, T0mShane said:

Keeping Eli and Mahomes on the bench was 1000% the right move for those franchises, and both of those decisions were made by coaches with lots of credibility and political capital inside their organizations. If we do sign the Foles-type (as depressing as this is to think about) it’d be a sign that the Jets are being clear-headed about this decision moving forward. 

At least bring in a vet with some type of upside in your plan.

Jets should’ve gotten Tannehill a couple years back and this off season they should’ve gotten Trubisky. Big miss.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 9:47 AM, CanadienJetsFan said:

It’s very simple,

Snap the ball,

take two steps back,

throw the ball.

if no one’s open,

take a knee.

if he can’t do that, then we’ll get another QB in 2 years.

 

Well can we have him just throw it away in nobody is open instead of taking a knee please.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 5:13 PM, T0mShane said:

My dick>>>>>>Zach Wilson’s arms

Zach Wilson doesn't need to take a blue pill a half an hour before kickoff though.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, slats said:

Seems to me that it's the fans who don't particularly like Zach Wilson who feel he should sit.

Probably because most that dont like him think hes raw and needs to cook a little more before even having a chance at succeeding. Not great qualities for 1.2 and these exact reasons are why you sit him too. Related.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Biggs said:

Haven't you ever been a teenager in love?  They're are a lot of young Jets fans on this board who have a full on  puppy love crush on Sam Darnold.  This isn't about Zach.  This is about first love.

I remember when we shipped Namath out to LA.  I was crushed.  I hated Richard don't call me Dick Todd.  Than one beautiful day he made this pass in Oakland and I only disliked him more than was necessary.   Than one day he stuffed Steve Serby in a locker.  Yes Jets fans you can love again. 

Namath won a championship. Darnold won a game of spin the bottle at a high school house party.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgb said:

Namath won a championship. Darnold won a game of spin the bottle at a high school house party.

So you admit they both scored a lot.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jgb said:

Namath won a championship. Darnold won a game of spin the bottle at a high school house party.

Namath was loved from the day he threw his first pass.  The SB was all gravy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Namath was loved from the day he threw his first pass.  The SB was all gravy.

I have no doubt that was true. However, he wouldn't still be as loved to this day by Jets fans -- and others in and around the league -- who weren't alive in 1969 without that ring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

I have no doubt that was true. However, he wouldn't still be as loved to this day by Jets fans -- and others in and around the league -- who weren't alive in 1969 without that ring. 

I have no doubt you are wrong.  Jets fans who were alive and rooted for the Jets and the AFL were not invested in the SB when they fell in love with Namath.  The SB is simply part of his legend and legacy not why he was loved. 

If you read the threads in the Jets forumns on Namath he is universally treated as a second teir QB by people who didn't see him.  

He was loved in NYC before the SB.  He is loved by the fan base that saw him play and enjoyed having a rock star QB.  He is thought of as the drunk that tried to kiss Susie by everyone else.  

FYI nobody remebers that Otto Graham may have been the GOAT either.  You won't see him mentioned in most top 10 QB's of all time let alone recognize how great he was.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, T0mShane said:

I didn’t say he was injury prone. I said he has an injury history. I do, however, think that sitting him for a bit might help him in all aspects—physically, emotionally, mentally, culturally, etc. He’s a thin, young-young dude from Utah who has never been too far away from home and who has had issues with leadership and being a good teammate (this is according to him, btw). There is no need to anoint him, and there are enough reasons to take the pressure off of him by not naming him the de facto starter on May 7th. What’s the rush? All this talk about him having to “earn the job” seems pretty flimsy when there isn’t a viable challenger on the roster and everyone in the org is talking about him like he’s the second coming. It’s a mistake, imo.

I don’t have a dog in this race beyond mocking the silly idea that sitting for the sake of sitting is an innate good for all QBs equally. If the coaches think it’s appropriate to sit him based on what they see on the practice field, I’m all for it. If they think he’s ready - even if he’s not a totally finished product - it’s my preference. If they think he’s almost ready, but starting him isn’t going to do particular (let alone irreparable) harm, also fine. But bringing in the Jets’ own Tyrod Taylor isn’t going to make his growth accelerate any faster, unless laziness is a trait of his (in which case he’s going to revert back to this as soon as he gets the job anyway). If they want to pay Josh McCown $2MM to bunk with him until the end of August, I’ve got no objections.

I think these parallels to some cherrypicked QBs who’ve gone on to be all-time greats are ridiculous. He’s not Brady; he’s not Rodgers; he’s not Mahomes. What’s even more ridiculous than the idea, blindly accepted as though it’s a proven fact, that not only would these 3 have been unsuccessful (or even less successful) had they started as rookies; but extrapolating from this false premise the dual inference that if this next Jets QB starts right away it prevents him from being so but if he sits right away then this is what he could become. All the while, quite conveniently ignoring all those rookies who sat and still never became anything. It’s so preposterous I’m still amazed by how many follow this without citing the reasons why this one started and that one sat (or even questioned whether ones who sat actually benefitted from it). Suffice to say, they are all different people on different teams in different scenarios and at different levels of football development coming out of school. To infer some cookie cutter method of greater success probability is purely subjective, benefitting from an equally or earlier successful alternative never being shown. Maybe as a rookie Mahomes would’ve gotten KC further than Alex Smith that year. Maybe NE would’ve won more than 6 games if the QB was Brady instead of Bledsoe in 2000. Maybe Rodgers would have 2 more rings if he wasn’t sitting behind Favre once his mechanics were fixed. Yet they’re one & all blindly accepted as woulda-been lesser successes, whose certain doom & failures were averted by benching as rookies just for the sake of doing it.

And culturally? Really? This is the prejudice of others, not of him. I’m sure he’s seen pictures and videos of our big city, where the Jets neither practice nor play anyhow. He’s going to be immersed and sheltered in a football bubble this summer, not as a pre-internet tourist walking through midtown with a bulky camera strapped around his neck; 10 layers of sunblock on his Rudolph-red nose, partially shaded by his I-heart-NY hat; licking an ice cream cone as a blob of vanilla drips onto his loudly-colored plaid or hibiscus-print, short-sleeved, button-down shirt; holding Momsie’s hand saying, “Golly” at the skyscrapers; then tears his labrum wrestling his hand away from his mom’s so he can hold his nose as he walks past another homeless guy, promptly followed by walking into traffic. The culture that’s newest is going to be wondering why his NJ tapwater ice cubes are yellowish & smell bad. Beyond that it’s just a different practice facility, in a different but still nontheless quiet suburb, with new coaches, and especially teammates who are either happy or unhappy that he’s replaced Darnold; and the latter isn’t going to improve culturally by insulating him from exposure like he’s a prince or made of plutonium. 

Mentally? They all grow mentally from and beyond their rookie seasons; even those who played well and enjoyed success during said rookie seasons. If he looks lost mentally early-on, I’m quite sure the coaches will tell Douglas his new prize is going to be a flop if he’s the starter right away, but this is preventable by bringing in a viable, temporary replacement. There’s a shared common goal of having him succeed, not having him succeed instantly as a rookie or the hell with him just to prove a pointless point. 

Physically? What’s your realistic presumption, that he’s should be spending more time in a gym bulking up or learning how to eat, but couldn’t do these things if he was on a practice field or film room? It’s absurd. There’s no shortage of workout time (let alone eating or Weightgainer3000 shake-drinking time) where, omg if only he wasn’t throwing a football on the field like the entire rest of the team then he’d be in the gym all by himself bulking up. You can’t possibly believe this. In case you’ve never worked out before: if bulking up another 10 lbs was what stood in the way between success or failure, there’s plenty of time for that between minicamp and the end of July. 

None of these “reasons” make sense to me unless, as I started with, the coaches feel he’s simply unready to take the field without wearing a red jersey. In that case, he should absolutely sit before developing poor panic habits that are hard to break out of. For weeks on end this summer, if he’s still stubbornly taking 11-step dropbacks like win4ever outlined in his phenomenally-detailed breakdown, or forcing the ball into double coverage expecting tight coverage to be for show only, like it was with his BYU opponents, then sit him. Beyond that, they all make mistakes - as he will whether he sits for a season or not - and at some point have to do it on the field not just in class. 

I’ll think up more later. But this is good for now ;)

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk about JetBlue has me reminiscing about the last great tinfoil conspiracy around here that we couldn't fire Gase or get rid of Darnold because they shared an agent with JD and JD was going to profit from that secret mega extension they were cooking up for Darnold

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I have no doubt you are wrong.  Jets fans who were alive and rooted for the Jets and the AFL were not invested in the SB when they fell in love with Namath.  The SB is simply part of his legend and legacy not why he was loved. 

If you read the threads in the Jets forumns on Namath he is universally treated as a second teir QB by people who didn't see him.  

He was loved in NYC before the SB.  He is loved by the fan base that saw him play and enjoyed having a rock star QB.  He is thought of as the drunk that tried to kiss Susie by everyone else.  

FYI nobody remebers that Otto Graham may have been the GOAT either.  You won't see him mentioned in most top 10 QB's of all time let alone recognize how great he was.  

 

Arguing that Joe Willie would get less universal love without a SB ring is like arguing the sky is blue to the neighborhood wino behind the Quik-E-Mart. Sometimes just easier to let the dude believes what he wants.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Arguing that Joe Willie would get less universal love without a SB ring is like arguing the sky is blue to the neighborhood wino behind the Quik-E-Mart. Sometimes just easier to let the dude believes what he wants.

Your entitled to your opinion even though it lacks merit and knowledge.  Namath was the biggest draw in football the day he was signed.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, the model I have in my head for Zach Wilson is Jordan Speith. I think Zach's "team" will have a plan for him that optimizes his opportunity and will integrate with Saleh's operating plan for the Jets. Given Saleh's comments this past weekend that each player is CEO of his own mind and body I think he will be 100% aligned with this. 

Unless he gets hurt Wilson will be the opening day starter for the Jets and the Wilson era will begin and I think he will exceed expectations.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Your entitled to your opinion even though it lacks merit and knowledge.  Namath was the biggest draw in football the day he was signed.   

And I hear Vaudeville drew quite a crowd in its day also. Champions get remembered forever.

You can have the last word, since I know you can't resist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

And I hear Vaudeville drew quite a crowd in its day also.

Wouldn't know before my time like Namath was obviously before yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Jethead said:

For some reason, the model I have in my head for Zach Wilson is Jordan Speith. I think Zach's "team" will have a plan for him that optimizes his opportunity and will integrate with Saleh's operating plan for the Jets. Given Saleh's comments this past weekend that each player is CEO of his own mind and body I think he will be 100% aligned with this. 

Unless he gets hurt Wilson will be the opening day starter for the Jets and the Wilson era will begin and I think he will exceed expectations.

Back to intelligent discourse rather than those who think date of birth is a disqualifier to have an opinion (guess someone needs to tell all those history professors that they can't lecture on Ancient Rome anymore), I agree that Wilson will start. I wanted JD to get Trubisky but that ship has sailed. Minshew could be a place to look also.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...