What has become of the Metlife turf situation?

Last season teams were saying the turf was hazardous.  NFLPA demanding a switch to natural grass.

Has there been any change?  I haven't seen much about this since like October...

The stadium already looks like a "prison toilet." (Kudos to the JN member that coined that nickname, whoever you are).  We had that stray black cat expose the rat problem on MNF.  The turf also being dangerous is just embarrassing...

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The SF 49rs cried after losing a bunch of players in week 2.  

The NFL came out and inspected the turf and whatever they do to approve a field and found there was nothing to their claims blaming the turf for the injuries.  There weren't any other injury issues to two teams who used the stadium 16 times last season or to teams who played there

Wait. Wasn't half of our team injured last year too?

I heard we have physio team - any one have the skinny on those dudes?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The jets and giants should have at least put a dome in - the nfl would give them a Super Bowl every other year!

THIS. How can the most important city in the world not afford a retractable roof but Dallas can? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

Wait. Wasn't half of our team injured last year too?

I heard we have physio team - any one have the skinny on those dudes?

Who had an injury that you could blame on the turf?  

Hammys arent due to the field turf and all the early injuries were at the practice facility 

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

The slinky in the swap... an embarrassment.  Look at what the Cowboys, raiders, falcons, Vikings all built - and that was only 1 team.

2 teams in LA built one of the nicest stadiums I’ve seen.  The jets and giants should have at least put a dome in - the nfl would give them a Super Bowl every other year!

I'm not sure I can blame that on the Jets.  The stadium they wanted to build on the west side would compete with any of them.  Cost the team millions trying.  They left peeded at NYC.  Can't blame em.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The stadium already looks like a "prison toilet."

First it’s the uniforms, now it’s the stadium.  

It’s almost like we didn’t just have the best draft in our history, a new franchise quarterback, a talented GM, and an inspiring head coach.  

Eeyores.  Always Eeyores.  

SAR I

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ryu79 said:

THIS. How can the most important city in the world not afford a retractable roof but Dallas can? 

You cry and complain about a lack of fan participation, rich people in the good seats, too many enemy fans, and not enough Jets branding under the guise of hurting our homefield advantage yet you want a comfy warm roof to take away our homefield advantage.

You Jets fans are certifiable.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You cry and complain about a lack of fan participation, rich people in the good seats, too many enemy fans, and not enough Jets branding under the guise of hurting our homefield advantage yet you want a comfy warm roof to take away our homefield advantage.

SAR I

STHs selling their tickets is plenty effective enough...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

STHs selling their tickets is plenty effective enough...

We've had 10 years of horrible football.  I don't blame a single person spending $7,000 a year on tickets and parking who needs to sell a game here or there.  I'm not going to miss my daughter's dance recital to watch Geno Smith, thank you very much.

God willing we ever make it to and host a home AFC Championship Game, I want our opponent to feel the New Jersey cold and wind.  Of the 15 possible opponents, half of them play in warm weather or domes.  Why do you think we spanked the Florida Jaguars in '98 or the Dome Colts in '02?  I couldn't feel my face at those games.  

Stop hating on your own fans and your own owners.  The stadium is fine.  And our biggest homefield advantage is the lack of a dome come December, January, and February.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Apples and oranges, but 2 years ago local HS here put in new field turf, switching from grass.  They were coming off a playoff season, had high expectations.  Entire team turned into the walking wounded.  Know the AD fairly well, he quietly felt it was the new surface not being broken in.  It was pretty much installed that summer and didn’t have to sit out in the elements before use.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Last season teams were saying the turf was hazardous.  NFLPA demanding a switch to natural grass.

Has there been any change?  I haven't seen much about this since like October...

The stadium already looks like a "prison toilet." (Kudos to the JN member that coined that nickname, whoever you are).  We had that stray black cat expose the rat problem on MNF.  The turf also being dangerous is just embarrassing...

Should have been a dome.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What a strange triggered response. I've complained about none of those things and I think our team and fans deserve the best. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who had an injury that you could blame on the turf?  

Hammys arent due to the field turf and all the early injuries were at the practice facility 

That's fair on practice facility injuries. 

My question on the physio staff was in earnest though. I had read a comment about them on a recent thread and am curious to learn more. 

• Upvote 2

First it’s the uniforms, now it’s the stadium.  

It’s almost like we didn’t just have the best draft in our history, a new franchise quarterback, a talented GM, and an inspiring head coach.  

Eeyores.  Always Eeyores.  

SAR I

I do like the stadium. I know I am in the minority here. But I despised playing in the old stadium named after our crosstown rival. Also its just a nice comfortable stadium. I am selfish a bit because I remember sitting in the 300s of the old stadium because Giants fans got first shot at open Jets tickets when they moved from Shea. Now I am in section 128 and I love it. Never would have had a shot at these seats in the old stadium.

As far as the uniforms go I do not like them at all. I am however open to the possibility that it is the players in them that bothers me.

You are right that there is more talent here along with a young QB with a lot of ability and potential. It is an exciting time to be a Jets fan.

Overall the Jets really have been working to improve things and it shows. If you are a little older like me you realize it more I think.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Natural grass really isn’t an option so I doubt the NFLPA was demanding a switch to it.   

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Please explain this home field advantage the Jets have taken advantage of by playing outside.  You could argue that the home field advantage would be greater by having a roof thus increasing the crowd noise, which is actually an advantage.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, heymangold said:

The slinky in the swap... an embarrassment.  Look at what the Cowboys, raiders, falcons, Vikings all built - and that was only 1 team.

2 teams in LA built one of the nicest stadiums I’ve seen.  The jets and giants should have at least put a dome in - the nfl would give them a Super Bowl every other year!

It’s quite shocking the amount of $$ put into that stadium and how poorly designed and aesthetically displeasing it is. 

It’s like they never looked at the other stadiums and said ‘holy sh*t’ that’s what we want. They tried to be different but settled on the mundane 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, heymangold said:

13 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Huge penny wise/pound foolish move. Imagine being able to host (for huge leasing fees) other events like concerts year round rain, snow or shine.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Two reasons

1-Union wages

2-political corruption

Exactly. Corruption happens everywhere, but the red tape in the tri state is toxic and a little ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Please explain this home field advantage the Jets have taken advantage of by playing outside.  You could argue that the home field advantage would be greater by having a roof thus increasing the crowd noise, which is actually an advantage.  

The weather is a home field advantage if the team is built right. You need a strong armed QB and a good running game along with a defense that can stop the run. You can look at the formula other teams have used to take advantage of the weather.

• Upvote 1

It’s quite shocking the amount of $$ put into that stadium and how poorly designed and aesthetically displeasing it is. 

It’s like they never looked at the other stadiums and said ‘holy sh*t’ that’s what we want. They tried to be different but settled on the mundane 

The point you are making is kind of subjective. You think it looks terrible. I personally like it. The hallways are wider, there were nice shops put in and areas to hang out drink and eat. Its definitely a step up from the old stadium imho. Its not fancy like some of the others - but I really dont know what amenities you think its missing? Did you want a swimming pool? An ice skating rink?

3 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Agreed.   It’s especially disappointing when you consider that you had two teams paying for ONE stadium.   When you look at what the Rams built in LA, it’s not even close.   

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   It’s especially disappointing when you consider that you had two teams paying for ONE stadium.   When you look at what the Rams built in LA, it’s not even close.   

Agree compared to some of the stadiums built within the last 10 years. 

MetLife hosts on the average 20 home NFL games. 

2 teams contributing. 

It could have been so  much better, it should have been so much better. 

It should have been the mecca of NFL stadiums. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

The weather is a home field advantage if the team is built right. You need a strong armed QB and a good running game along with a defense that can stop the run. You can look at the formula other teams have used to take advantage of the weather.

It’s kind of a myth now in the NFL.  The advantage, if any, comes from noise not the weather.  

• Upvote 2

Agree compared to some of the stadiums built within the last 10 years. 
MetLife hosts on the average 20 home NFL games. 
2 teams contributing. 
It could have been so  much better, it should have been so much better. 
It should have been the mecca of NFL stadiums. 

What in your eyes would have made it the mecca? I dont want a domed stadium personally. Like was mentioned it kills our homefield advantage. The color scheme is kind of limited because there are two teams sharing. I think they did a pretty good job there too. But what did you want to see?

It’s kind of a myth now in the NFL.  The advantage, if any, comes from noise not the weather.  

No its not. If the team is constructed to take advantage of the weather it is definitely an advantage. Four of the best home teams in the NFL are cold weather teams constructed just as I stated. I just spent 10 days in Florida and came back in May and my body was shocked by the weather. Weather plays a huge role

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

No its not. If the team is constructed to take advantage of the weather it is definitely an advantage. Four of the best home teams in the NFL are cold weather teams constructed just as I stated. I just spent 10 days in Florida and came back in May and my body was shocked by the weather. Weather plays a huge role

Good teams are good teams regardless of weather.  Weather isn’t  a “huge role”.   

Good teams are good teams regardless of weather.  Weather isn’t  a “huge role”.   

You are very very wrong. We arent just talking about temp here. There is wind, rain and snow. If your team is constructed to take advantage of these elements its a huge advantage. You dont have to believe me. Go look at the top home teams in the NFL. Those teams on offense can run the ball and control the middle of the field with their passing game. They also play tough physical defense.

In a dome stadium its a foot race and you need to be good at that race to win at home. That doesn’t translate to outdoors or grass. However a cold weather team can be built to slow down the foot race while also winning the way I described above.

• Upvote 2