What has become of the Metlife turf situation?

Good teams are good teams regardless of weather.  Weather isn’t  a “huge role”.   

“In games where wind speeds range from 1-14 mph hour, teams average somewhere between 40-43 points per game. As speeds increase to 15-20 mph, this number drops to around 40 points per game. As wind speeds get faster than 20 mph, the effects are even starker. These games will average around just 35 points per game.”

The statistics are all out there. They are all over the place as to why constructing a team a certain way and playing outdoors at home in a diverse weather environment is a huge advantage. They dont cancel baseball games because of the rain because it makes no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, RSJ said:

You are very very wrong. We arent just talking about temp here. There is wind, rain and snow. If your team is constructed to take advantage of these elements its a huge advantage. You dont have to believe me. Go look at the top home teams in the NFL. Those teams on offense can run the ball and control the middle of the field with their passing game. They also play tough physical defense.

In a dome stadium its a foot race and you need to be good at that race to win at home. That doesn’t translate to outdoors or grass. However a cold weather team can be built to slow down the foot race while also winning the way I described above.

Again, good teams are good teams.   If you can’t run the ball you can’t win if it’s 80 degrees or 10 degrees.  The good teams are good teams because they are balanced.   You’re over thinking this, it’s not a big deal.  

• Upvote 1

Again, good teams are good teams.   If you can’t run the ball you can’t win if it’s 80 degrees or 10 degrees.  The good teams are good teams because they are balanced.   You’re over thinking this, it’s not a big deal.  

What are you even talking about? Dome teams are notoriously bad out doors in the elements for a reason. Its been that way for decades. But now its changed? Lol ok dude.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RSJ said:

“In games where wind speeds range from 1-14 mph hour, teams average somewhere between 40-43 points per game. As speeds increase to 15-20 mph, this number drops to around 40 points per game. As wind speeds get faster than 20 mph, the effects are even starker. These games will average around just 35 points per game.”

The statistics are all out there. They are all over the place as to why constructing a team a certain way and playing outdoors at home in a diverse weather environment is a huge advantage. They dont cancel baseball games because of the rain because it makes no difference.

Lol.....what?  They cancel baseball games because the field becomes unplayable if left uncovered.  

• Upvote 2

Lol.....what?  They cancel baseball games because the field becomes unplayable if left uncovered.  

Right because it impacts the game. Now you are starting to get it. Cuts become slower and more dangerous, throws become inconsistent. Some teams are built for that and some arent.

Btw do you think the Colts were a bad team? What about some of the other dome teams?

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Right because it impacts the game. Now you are starting to get it. Cuts become slower and more dangerous, throws become inconsistent. Some teams are built for that and some arent.

Btw do you think the Colts were a bad team? What about some of the other dome teams?

So baseball games get cancelled because the players can’t cut?   Enjoy you’re mother’s day.  

46 minutes ago, RSJ said:

What in your eyes would have made it the mecca? I dont want a domed stadium personally. Like was mentioned it kills our homefield advantage. The color scheme is kind of limited because there are two teams sharing. I think they did a pretty good job there too. But what did you want to see?

Addressing the mecca--The Jets(and Giants) had an opportunity to lead the entire world with this stadium.  2 of the 5 or 6 most valued of all sports franchises in the world and this is how they represented themselves.  It is pretty ****ed up that Jerry Jones gets to crow about how amazing his stadium is and we are like... it can be green OR blue!!! yaaaaay....  When you look at it through that lens, I hope you can see how far we missed by.  At least I do.

You be the judge, best stadium in the world or color changing LED lights?

So baseball games get cancelled because the players can’t cut?   Enjoy you’re mother’s day.  

Yeah they cant cut to the ball easily without slipping or cut on the base pads. Its dangerous.

Look theres a reason only two dome teams have won a super bowl and most super bowl teams have come from a cold weather environments. Once these teams go outside they cant play because they werent built to play that way. There is also the cold which despite what you think is also a factor. Outdoor teams can go into domes and win because their play style works in either environment. It becomes more difficult in domes but not impossible because dome teams are built for lower percentage plays to be successful in a controlled atmosphere. Ie plays outside the numbers, stretches, draws, more timing routes etc.

Hope you enjoy your mother’s day too

Addressing the mecca--The Jets(and Giants) had an opportunity to lead the entire world with this stadium.  2 of the 5 or 6 most valued of all sports franchises in the world and this is how they represented themselves.  It is pretty ****ed up that Jerry Jones gets to crow about how amazing his stadium is and we are like... it can be green OR blue!!! yaaaaay....  When you look at it through that lens, I hope you can see how far we missed by.  At least I do.

You be the judge, best stadium in the world or color changing LED lights?

Yeah I mean I would be lying if I didnt agree with you. I wanted the Jets to still build their own stadium first and foremost. Because I knew anything together with the Giants was going to be less than stellar. I thought the Jets should have gone to Bridgeport CT where they could get the fairy in from LI on gamedays. They could have had their own stadium built there right on the water with plenty of parking. Idk why they went in with the Giants again. I really dont.

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Please explain this home field advantage the Jets have taken advantage of by playing outside.  You could argue that the home field advantage would be greater by having a roof thus increasing the crowd noise, which is actually an advantage.  

We have 4 home playoff wins in our history.  

3 of them are against comfy warm teams (Oakland, Jacksonville, Indianapolis). 

We good?

SAR I

I can’t get behind that excuse.  There’s unions across America. It’s not exclusive to New Jersey.
NJ has a history of corruption greater than any other state in the country.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What in your eyes would have made it the mecca? I dont want a domed stadium personally. Like was mentioned it kills our homefield advantage. The color scheme is kind of limited because there are two teams sharing. I think they did a pretty good job there too. But what did you want to see?

Inspirational architecture .. see Minnesota and LA for golden examples.

9 hours ago, RSJ said:

A retractable roof  to start and all the  amenities the other newly built stadiums have. 

So much more than we have here. 

All they did was knock down a concrete stadium and build another. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

In regards to the original point about the turf, as was pointed out, a handful of 49ers were literally the only ones to make such a claim, very early in the season, after having back-to-back games at Metlife where players got hurt (yet they still won both in blowout fashion).  They proceeded to be injury-plagued throughout the entire season, wherever they played, and nothing more ever came of it.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, if there was much validity to that argument from a few players of one particular team in the first place, the Jets might now know a guy who could give them some insight on that.

In regards to the rooftop, the Jets and Giants made it abundantly clear while the plans were being drawn up that neither team had any interest in using a dome, so they weren't going to install one for the 100s of millions more it would've cost.  It was the state of NJ who was trying to push for it, as they were the ones who likely would've pulled in more additional cash from it than the teams would have.  The teams then offered to add in a retractable roof if the state made contributions to the construction of what they were pushing for the most, but NJ said no, so it didn't happen.  Considering how ridiculously profitable both teams are despite how much they currently suck, there's little to suggest it was a poor financial decision, rather it's people unhappy that the teams didn't spend more of their money to support independent events that would have nothing to do with them.  Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a nice option to have, and for the team have it at their disposal to use as they saw fit, but it's not so unbelievable that they didn't invest another 9 figures to potentially get other non-team events there for about 2 months out of the year.

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

NJ has a history of corruption greater than any other state in the country.

not disputing the corruption part of it - moreso the thought that union costs prohibited 2 NFL teams from building a football stadium that doesn't look like a tin can.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:09 AM, heymangold said:

I can’t get behind that excuse.  There’s unions across America. It’s not exclusive to New Jersey.

Yes but in my limited knowledge of the situation they're worse than anywhere else.  Not to get political but that was Chris Christie's "pet project" (dismantling unions) in NJ throughout his tenure, seemingly for good reason. 

No idea if that fight was a good or worthwhile one or not, but it most certainly was a big one for Christie.  That explains a lot about the stadium situation, to me.  

On 5/8/2021 at 6:27 PM, RoadFan said:

Last season teams were saying the turf was hazardous.  NFLPA demanding a switch to natural grass.

Has there been any change?  I haven't seen much about this since like October...

The stadium already looks like a "prison toilet." (Kudos to the JN member that coined that nickname, whoever you are).  We had that stray black cat expose the rat problem on MNF.  The turf also being dangerous is just embarrassing...

Could it be incarcerated Bob who came up with that nickname since he would know what a prison toilet looks like?. But, no offense to him since I believe he made parole a ways back.