I pledge my allegiance to JOE DOUGLAS!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JD seems to know what he is doing. But Macc had his defenders to the end and most of us throught his move up to 3 was a steal and landing Darnold was a franchise-altering coup. A GM can be a master of

You know something that might help out with the weird fetishizing of football GM's is getting a ******* job

Can we at least win 8 games before we annoint JD?  heck, the big dope MAC won 10 games and got exec of the year.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

My point is that Woody realized he needed help and went out and sought the two highest thought of GMs who could help with that decision.  As you said totally logical.

But as I posted way back hiring GMs and HCs without experience is a crap shoot no matter who makes the pick, regardless of their background and it didnt work out.  At all.  Sucks but it was with good intentions

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that 100%. Sometimes you can do everything right in an effort to get a specific outcome, in this case the desired was a first date FO team, but you can still fail abomidably. That's what happened with Mac. He was a HORRIBLE hire. With that said, I'm not so sure Todd Bowles was such a bad hire? The fact is he was screwed by Mac. He didn't have any talent to work with.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Douglas gets a solid B for his performance to date with the promise of higher grades if he keeps it up. Glad to have him at the helm.Feel justified in raising the bar. High expectations JD.

as others have correctly pointed out this is douglas' first season of having his team and coach in play.  this season will be the first real indication of where this team is heading.  it may not be pretty, and that's okay to a point, but it may also be pretty darn good looking.  still, right now douglas' best attribute is he's not mac.  as good as his two drafts appear to be, let's see how well they look after a couple of seasons.  that should quell any doubts about the guys gm abilities.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, rangerous said:

as others have correctly pointed out this is douglas' first season of having his team and coach in play.  this season will be the first real indication of where this team is heading.  it may not be pretty, and that's okay to a point, but it may also be pretty darn good looking.  still, right now douglas' best attribute is he's not mac.  as good as his two drafts appear to be, let's see how well they look after a couple of seasons.  that should quell any doubts about the guys gm abilities.

The drafting ability of the GM really becomes evident when you look at how the mid / low end draft picks work out - and that can take a while as these guys need work to get them to their potential (otherwise they'd have been 1st and 2nd round picks).

What I want to see is which of these mid round guys develop into contributors. Whether from last year (Davis, Zuniga, Clark) or this year (Carter, the plethora of LB / S / DB tweeners). Sure, we'll highlight how well Becton is turning out and hopefully AVT, Mims, Moore. And obviously Zach. But all GMs should be able to get quality players with their high picks; the really good ones are the guys who turn 5th round picks into solid / outstanding players. We've just got so used to mediocrity that a first round pick who's still on the team after 4 years is seen as a miracle and worthy of high praise for the GM in question.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

The drafting ability of the GM really becomes evident when you look at how the mid / low end draft picks work out - and that can take a while as these guys need work to get them to their potential (otherwise they'd have been 1st and 2nd round picks).

What I want to see is which of these mid round guys develop into contributors. Whether from last year (Davis, Zuniga, Clark) or this year (Carter, the plethora of LB / S / DB tweeners). Sure, we'll highlight how well Becton is turning out and hopefully AVT, Mims, Moore. And obviously Zach. But all GMs should be able to get quality players with their high picks; the really good ones are the guys who turn 5th round picks into solid / outstanding players. We've just got so used to mediocrity that a first round pick who's still on the team after 4 years is seen as a miracle and worthy of high praise for the GM in question.

i would say, being an arm chair dumb fan, that i never really got too concerned over what the gm does.  clearly the gm position is way more important than even the coach.  who knows how bowles would've turned out with the proper gm support?  thinking back there's a reason why gailey quit as offensive coordinator oly to surface in miami.  maybe he was resisting mac's boy hack and told the truth?  same thing with the next two guys.  they had nothing to work with and so the offense failed taking bowles down with it.