Zach Wilson vs Houston 2020... As per Cimini the 1st game JD watched to evaluate Zach...

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Actually not one of his best games, he improved as season went on. Couple balls should have been intercepted. Some good runs but not showing much on the sneak, couple rushed throws. That said, lots of amazing throws as well especially the ingenuity on screen passes. and a few great deep balls down the sideline.

Also contained the play that many used to downgrade him, the flea flicker conversion where people just crucified him for not finding the more open guy.

That is the part that is actually most interesting.  He was not perfect and still found a way to win in impressive fashion.   His talent was on display.  I am sure JD came away very intrigued but this kid.  I also see where the Mahomes comparisons came from.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:36 PM, johnnysd said:

Actually not one of his best games, he improved as season went on. Couple balls should have been intercepted. Some good runs but not showing much on the sneak, couple rushed throws. That said, lots of amazing throws as well especially the ingenuity on screen passes. and a few great deep balls down the sideline.

Also contained the play that many used to downgrade him, the flea flicker conversion where people just crucified him for not finding the more open guy.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:30 PM, JetBlue said:

That is the part that is actually most interesting.  He was not perfect and still found a way to win in impressive fashion.   His talent was on display.  I am sure JD came away very intrigued but this kid.  I also see where the Mahomes comparisons came from.   

Exactly.  This is the perfect type of game to look at closely.  It was easy to fall in love with Darnold when watching the Rose Bowl performance.  But if you had picked one of his "middle" games, it would have been easy to talk yourself out of taking him. 

If this is considered one of Wilson's "middle" games, then you can effectively use it to talk yourself into or out of Wilson being legit.  

• Upvote 1

I do think I recall this being Zach's statistically worst game last year, at least in terms of QBR.  I recall during the game a lot of fans scoffing that the Houston QB was "outplaying him" in the first half outside of the opening play.  That is of course until crunch time hit.